Mailing List Archive: Nessus: users

RE: Difference in what is tested between personal and professional nessus?

Nessus users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tdoty at mst

Nov 3, 2008, 11:30 AM

RE: Difference in what is tested between personal and professional nessus?

It isn't a matter of publishing the results, it's an issue of how/where
nessus is used. I can (and do) use the home/free nessus for scanning my
home systems. It is a clearly personal use. At work we are paying for a
feed because it is (an incidental) part of our business -- I'm
responsible for scanning all systems on the university network. We don't
publish the results, they are only used internally. If it were being
used in a course of instruction it might qualify for an educational use
-- something Tenable decides.

"Commercial organizations which use the Nessus vulnerability scanner
must purchase a ProfessionalFeed subscription to obtain support, updates
to their database of vulnerability checks and compliance auditing."

http://www.tenablesecurity.com/products/professional-feed/