Mailing List Archive: Nessus: users

File formats

Nessus users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mtimm at jcpenney

Sep 18, 2008, 2:08 PM

File formats

I have created several scripts to run at night via cron on a Red Hat Linux
box and I am creating output files with the nbe file format. I am getting
conflicting stories as to whether I should use nbe or xml. Do you have a
preferred file format for the different operating systems? Or are you
trying to move to a single file format? And which format would that be? I
am running Nessus 3.2 under RHEL v5.

rgula at tenablesecurity

Sep 19, 2008, 6:22 AM

Re: File formats [In reply to]

Mark Timm wrote:
> I have created several scripts to run at night via cron on a Red Hat Linux
> box and I am creating output files with the nbe file format. I am getting
> conflicting stories as to whether I should use nbe or xml. Do you have a
> preferred file format for the different operating systems? Or are you
> trying to move to a single file format? And which format would that be? I
> am running Nessus 3.2 under RHEL v5.

Hi Mark,

By 'you' do you mean me? There are lots of Nessus users on this list.

I'm not sure what conflicting stories you might be hearing wrt the nbe format,
but Tenable has commented several times on this list that we consider nbe an
old format and do not expect to support it going forward.

The format we have standardized on for the NessusClient and Security Center
is the "dot nessus" (.nessus) report format. This format is consistent
across each OS.

It's extensively documented at http://www.nessus.org/documentation/ as well.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security