Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Nessus: devel

NessusClient: Planned improvements

 

 

Nessus devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 4, 2007, 3:40 PM

Post #1 of 13 (10915 views)
Permalink
NessusClient: Planned improvements

Hello Nessus developers,

in order to prevent double work or uncoordinated work,
I though I drop a note on what I am currently (slowly!)
working on:

- Migrating monitor dialog to TreeView widget.
Why: Current widget are marked deprecated. Also,
it opens the opportunity to take advantage of the
tree structure in order to aggregate domains.
My current issues:
- Progressbar cell renderer is only introduced
in GTK+ 2.6. I can ifdef the code to have the
new monitor dialog appear only for GTK >= 2.6.
Alternatively it could be decided to raise minimum
version of GTK+ to 2.6.
- There is no cell renderer for button. Alternatives are:
- Toggle is used and once switch on, the host is stopped
and vanishes from the list
- Our own cell renderer for button is implemented.
- The "Stop" functionality is removed or realized
in a different way.

- Implementing a memory-side Plugin-Description cache.
Why: Memory consumption is currently high if you have
switched on all the caching. Same plugins are kept in memory
multiple times. Several strings are cached and some are zipped,
but I think a real cache would lower memory consumption
considerably.
Issues: none so far. I just proceed on implementing this.

Please let me know if you have any comments. Espcially
let me know if anyone is already planning changes in the same
areas or in a way that would influence my current work.

All the best

Jan
--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


deraison at nessus

Apr 6, 2007, 7:40 AM

Post #2 of 13 (10548 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements [In reply to]

Hello Jan-Olivier,


On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Hello Nessus developers,
>
> in order to prevent double work or uncoordinated work,
> I though I drop a note on what I am currently (slowly!)
> working on:
>
> - Migrating monitor dialog to TreeView widget.
[...]

I'd like to see a sample of what this would look like before you
commit anything in that regards. The current view is working properly
so I'm not convinced at all for a need to change this view.


> - Implementing a memory-side Plugin-Description cache.

I think we can/should dramatically lower the memory consumption by
not storing the plugins descriptions at all. Of course, we need to
cache the plugins names / families / etc... but I'd do away with the
description entirely and remove the ability to click on a plugin name
to see what report it could produce (does anyone use this ?).

This could also be used to log into a Nessus server much more quickly.


Thanks,

-- Renaud
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 7, 2007, 2:14 PM

Post #3 of 13 (10559 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Friday 06 April 2007 16:40, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > in order to prevent double work or uncoordinated work,
> > I though I drop a note on what I am currently (slowly!)
> > working on:
> >
> > - Migrating monitor dialog to TreeView widget.
>
> [...]
>
> I'd like to see a sample of what this would look like before you
> commit anything in that regards. The current view is working properly
> so I'm not convinced at all for a need to change this view.

Attached is monitor_dialog.c where I implemented the new TreeView.
It is a test version where it is integrated into the dialog additionally
to the old style.
The width is currently determined by the old style. The widths of
the columns could be adjusted.

Attached also is a sample screenshot.

I have not yet applied real tree structures for the hosts, but
it is possible in principle.
Additionally the consumption of vertical
space is much lower and there is a percentage information for
the progress bars.
For the time being I implemented the "Stop" funtionality using
a toggle cell renderer, because this was just really quick and
simple.

Best

Jan
--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
Attachments: monitor-screenshot.png (13.2 KB)
  monitor_dialog.c (20.5 KB)


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 15, 2007, 11:12 AM

Post #4 of 13 (10534 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

Hello,

no comment means OK to proceed?

On Saturday 07 April 2007 23:14, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Friday 06 April 2007 16:40, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> > On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > > in order to prevent double work or uncoordinated work,
> > > I though I drop a note on what I am currently (slowly!)
> > > working on:
> > >
> > > - Migrating monitor dialog to TreeView widget.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I'd like to see a sample of what this would look like before you
> > commit anything in that regards. The current view is working properly
> > so I'm not convinced at all for a need to change this view.
>
> Attached is monitor_dialog.c where I implemented the new TreeView.
> It is a test version where it is integrated into the dialog additionally
> to the old style.
> The width is currently determined by the old style. The widths of
> the columns could be adjusted.
>
> Attached also is a sample screenshot.
>
> I have not yet applied real tree structures for the hosts, but
> it is possible in principle.
> Additionally the consumption of vertical
> space is much lower and there is a percentage information for
> the progress bars.
> For the time being I implemented the "Stop" funtionality using
> a toggle cell renderer, because this was just really quick and
> simple.

Best

Jan
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


deraison at nessus

Apr 15, 2007, 11:17 AM

Post #5 of 13 (10528 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

No. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of changing something
which is working fine today by something else whose design has not
even been finalized yet -- if it's not broken, don't fix it.



On Apr 15, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> no comment means OK to proceed?
>
> On Saturday 07 April 2007 23:14, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
>> On Friday 06 April 2007 16:40, Renaud Deraison wrote:
>>> On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
>>>> in order to prevent double work or uncoordinated work,
>>>> I though I drop a note on what I am currently (slowly!)
>>>> working on:
>>>>
>>>> - Migrating monitor dialog to TreeView widget.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I'd like to see a sample of what this would look like before you
>>> commit anything in that regards. The current view is working
>>> properly
>>> so I'm not convinced at all for a need to change this view.
>>
>> Attached is monitor_dialog.c where I implemented the new TreeView.
>> It is a test version where it is integrated into the dialog
>> additionally
>> to the old style.
>> The width is currently determined by the old style. The widths of
>> the columns could be adjusted.
>>
>> Attached also is a sample screenshot.
>>
>> I have not yet applied real tree structures for the hosts, but
>> it is possible in principle.
>> Additionally the consumption of vertical
>> space is much lower and there is a percentage information for
>> the progress bars.
>> For the time being I implemented the "Stop" funtionality using
>> a toggle cell renderer, because this was just really quick and
>> simple.
>
> Best
>
> Jan
> _______________________________________________
> Nessus-devel mailing list
> Nessus-devel [at] list
> http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel
>

_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 16, 2007, 4:54 PM

Post #6 of 13 (10537 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Sunday 15 April 2007 20:17, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> No. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of changing something
> which is working fine today by something else whose design has not
> even been finalized yet -- if it's not broken, don't fix it.

it is not broken. But it can be improved (my patch it is not just a fix).

And it is not finalized because you asked for some details,
so I just send the current status (clearly marked as such)
of my work.

> On Apr 15, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > no comment means OK to proceed?
> >
> > On Saturday 07 April 2007 23:14, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> >> On Friday 06 April 2007 16:40, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> >>> On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:40 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> >>>> in order to prevent double work or uncoordinated work,
> >>>> I though I drop a note on what I am currently (slowly!)
> >>>> working on:
> >>>>
> >>>> - Migrating monitor dialog to TreeView widget.
> >>>
> >>> [...]
> >>>
> >>> I'd like to see a sample of what this would look like before you
> >>> commit anything in that regards. The current view is working
> >>> properly
> >>> so I'm not convinced at all for a need to change this view.
> >>
> >> Attached is monitor_dialog.c where I implemented the new TreeView.
> >> It is a test version where it is integrated into the dialog
> >> additionally
> >> to the old style.
> >> The width is currently determined by the old style. The widths of
> >> the columns could be adjusted.
> >>
> >> Attached also is a sample screenshot.
> >>
> >> I have not yet applied real tree structures for the hosts, but
> >> it is possible in principle.
> >> Additionally the consumption of vertical
> >> space is much lower and there is a percentage information for
> >> the progress bars.
> >> For the time being I implemented the "Stop" funtionality using
> >> a toggle cell renderer, because this was just really quick and
> >> simple.

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


deraison at nessus

Apr 16, 2007, 5:02 PM

Post #7 of 13 (10525 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:54 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> On Sunday 15 April 2007 20:17, Renaud Deraison wrote:
>> No. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of changing something
>> which is working fine today by something else whose design has not
>> even been finalized yet -- if it's not broken, don't fix it.
>
> it is not broken. But it can be improved (my patch it is not just a
> fix).
>
> And it is not finalized because you asked for some details,
> so I just send the current status (clearly marked as such)
> of my work.

I'm not opposed to it, but let's define a final design before
anything is done -- you talk about tree view and I don't see where
you want to fit them, etc...



-- Renaud
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 19, 2007, 3:10 PM

Post #8 of 13 (10508 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 02:02, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:54 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 April 2007 20:17, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> >> No. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of changing something
> >> which is working fine today by something else whose design has not
> >> even been finalized yet -- if it's not broken, don't fix it.
> >
> > it is not broken. But it can be improved (my patch it is not just a
> > fix).
> >
> > And it is not finalized because you asked for some details,
> > so I just send the current status (clearly marked as such)
> > of my work.
>
> I'm not opposed to it, but let's define a final design before
> anything is done -- you talk about tree view and I don't see where
> you want to fit them, etc...

a GTK TreeView can have a list or a tree model.
For a first step I planned to use a list model for the monitor dialog.
Eventually a tree model could be used. But that's beyond the currently
implemented concept and I could imagine different ways how
this might work. Probably it is best to ask for some user feedback before
beginning to plan this.

However, even with a list model, the TreeView has some advantages over
the current implementation:

- not using deprecated methods anymore
- clearer code due to MVC
- progress bar additionally shows %tage
- vertical space consumption much lower
- personal opinion: looks nicer (more modern)
- sortable columns (not yet used in my code. Should I implement
that clicking on a head line makes this the sorted column,
a second click make it sorted reversed? This would be a pretty
common behaviour today in many GUIs.)

Except for the the sortable-question my sample already shows
the final (list) design. Some beautification remains of course
and the old widget needs to be removed, naturally.

I do not expect instability due to my changes because actually
the same hooks for communication with Nessus Server are
just called in a different way.

Best

Jan
--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 20, 2007, 2:47 PM

Post #9 of 13 (10499 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

Hello,

I forgot one aspect: at least the progress bar is
only available since GTK+ 2.6.
So, I need to implement some ifdefs (or similar)
to apply the current style for GTK+ < 2.6 and
the new style for GTK+ >= 2.6.

At least unless we might increase the requirement
for GTK+ from 2.4 to 2.6 ;-)

Best

Jan

On Friday 20 April 2007 00:10, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 02:02, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> > On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:54 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > > On Sunday 15 April 2007 20:17, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> > >> No. I'm not sure I understand the benefits of changing something
> > >> which is working fine today by something else whose design has not
> > >> even been finalized yet -- if it's not broken, don't fix it.
> > >
> > > it is not broken. But it can be improved (my patch it is not just a
> > > fix).
> > >
> > > And it is not finalized because you asked for some details,
> > > so I just send the current status (clearly marked as such)
> > > of my work.
> >
> > I'm not opposed to it, but let's define a final design before
> > anything is done -- you talk about tree view and I don't see where
> > you want to fit them, etc...
>
> a GTK TreeView can have a list or a tree model.
> For a first step I planned to use a list model for the monitor dialog.
> Eventually a tree model could be used. But that's beyond the currently
> implemented concept and I could imagine different ways how
> this might work. Probably it is best to ask for some user feedback before
> beginning to plan this.
>
> However, even with a list model, the TreeView has some advantages over
> the current implementation:
>
> - not using deprecated methods anymore
> - clearer code due to MVC
> - progress bar additionally shows %tage
> - vertical space consumption much lower
> - personal opinion: looks nicer (more modern)
> - sortable columns (not yet used in my code. Should I implement
> that clicking on a head line makes this the sorted column,
> a second click make it sorted reversed? This would be a pretty
> common behaviour today in many GUIs.)
>
> Except for the the sortable-question my sample already shows
> the final (list) design. Some beautification remains of course
> and the old widget needs to be removed, naturally.
>
> I do not expect instability due to my changes because actually
> the same hooks for communication with Nessus Server are
> just called in a different way.

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 26, 2007, 11:52 AM

Post #10 of 13 (10461 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Friday 20 April 2007 23:47, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> I forgot one aspect: at least the progress bar is
> only available since GTK+ 2.6.
> So, I need to implement some ifdefs (or similar)
> to apply the current style for GTK+ < 2.6 and
> the new style for GTK+ >= 2.6.
>
> At least unless we might increase the requirement
> for GTK+ from 2.4 to 2.6 ;-)

Does anything speak against raising GTK+ from 2.4 to 2.6?

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

Apr 26, 2007, 12:09 PM

Post #11 of 13 (10461 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Friday 20 April 2007 00:10, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 02:02, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> > I'm not opposed to it, but let's define a final design before
> > anything is done -- you talk about tree view and I don't see where
> > you want to fit them, etc...
>
> a GTK TreeView can have a list or a tree model.
> For a first step I planned to use a list model for the monitor dialog.
> Eventually a tree model could be used. But that's beyond the currently
> implemented concept and I could imagine different ways how
> this might work. Probably it is best to ask for some user feedback before
> beginning to plan this.
>
> However, even with a list model, the TreeView has some advantages over
> the current implementation:
>
> - not using deprecated methods anymore
> - clearer code due to MVC
> - progress bar additionally shows %tage
> - vertical space consumption much lower
> - personal opinion: looks nicer (more modern)
> - sortable columns (not yet used in my code. Should I implement
> that clicking on a head line makes this the sorted column,
> a second click make it sorted reversed? This would be a pretty
> common behaviour today in many GUIs.)
>
> Except for the the sortable-question my sample already shows
> the final (list) design. Some beautification remains of course
> and the old widget needs to be removed, naturally.
>
> I do not expect instability due to my changes because actually
> the same hooks for communication with Nessus Server are
> just called in a different way.

OK to proceed based on these thoughts?

Best

Jan

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


deraison at nessus

Apr 30, 2007, 10:58 AM

Post #12 of 13 (10407 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Apr 26, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> On Friday 20 April 2007 23:47, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
>> I forgot one aspect: at least the progress bar is
>> only available since GTK+ 2.6.
>> So, I need to implement some ifdefs (or similar)
>> to apply the current style for GTK+ < 2.6 and
>> the new style for GTK+ >= 2.6.
>>
>> At least unless we might increase the requirement
>> for GTK+ from 2.4 to 2.6 ;-)
>
> Does anything speak against raising GTK+ from 2.4 to 2.6?

Maybe backward compatibility with non-bleeding-edge distributions ?
RHEL 4 uses GTK 2.4 (among many many many others).



-- Renaud
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel


jan-oliver.wagner at intevation

May 1, 2007, 12:56 PM

Post #13 of 13 (10428 views)
Permalink
Re: NessusClient: Planned improvements (monitor dialog) [In reply to]

On Monday 30 April 2007 19:58, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > On Friday 20 April 2007 23:47, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> >> I forgot one aspect: at least the progress bar is
> >> only available since GTK+ 2.6.
> >> So, I need to implement some ifdefs (or similar)
> >> to apply the current style for GTK+ < 2.6 and
> >> the new style for GTK+ >= 2.6.
> >>
> >> At least unless we might increase the requirement
> >> for GTK+ from 2.4 to 2.6 ;-)
> >
> > Does anything speak against raising GTK+ from 2.4 to 2.6?
>
> Maybe backward compatibility with non-bleeding-edge distributions ?
> RHEL 4 uses GTK 2.4 (among many many many others).

OK, I will ifdef the code for GTK+ 2.6.

Best

Jan

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner Intevation GmbH
Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998 http://www.intevation.de/
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner
_______________________________________________
Nessus-devel mailing list
Nessus-devel [at] list
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus-devel

Nessus devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.