Mailing List Archive: Nessus: devel

Network Devices

Nessus devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

pbiswas at ipolicynetworks

Mar 18, 2005, 5:46 PM

Network Devices

Hi ,
Just picking up a thread of thought.. In the security community, we
see this increase in the number of devices which say they are IDS/IPS or
Layer 7 firewall stuff.. and hackers I am sure take the pains to bypass
these devices. But as part of this forum, are there folks who actually
figure out vulnerabilities in these devices which can potentially cause
loss of network connectivity. Many of them use web-interfaces, why is it
we feel confident that these webservers are secure.

Thanks.

To have known the best, and to have known it for the best, is success in
life.

barrie at reboot-robot

Mar 19, 2005, 7:18 AM

Re: Network Devices [In reply to]

Biswas, Proneet wrote:
> Hi ,
> Just picking up a thread of thought.. In the security community, we
> see this increase in the number of devices which say they are IDS/IPS or
> Layer 7 firewall stuff.. and hackers I am sure take the pains to bypass
> these devices. But as part of this forum, are there folks who actually
> figure out vulnerabilities in these devices which can potentially cause
> loss of network connectivity. Many of them use web-interfaces, why is it
> we feel confident that these webservers are secure.
>
> Thanks.

We don't feel confident that they are secure, since they are most often
based on common operating systems (usually a BSD). So vulnerabilities
affecting the core OS can often be exploited on the device based on that
OS. Similarly if they have a web interface it's often based on some
piece of existing software.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

blog: http://zeedo.blogspot.com
site: http://www.bsrf.org.uk
CA: www.cacert.org

"He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw" - Victor (Still Game)
Attachments: smime.p7s (3.34 KB)

Nessus devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded