Mailing List Archive: Nessus: devel

GTK2 GUI: Separate detached scan options?

Nessus devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jan at intevation

Oct 11, 2004, 6:28 AM

GTK2 GUI: Separate detached scan options?

Hi,

when I worked on the scan options page of the GTK2 client,
I came to the idea of separating the detached scan options
from the general options. This is to save some vertical space
in GUI and to have the sematically special topic of detached
scans more clearly separated.

For the separation there are various options:
1. Have another Options page: "Detached Scans"
2. Have the General Scan options be another notebook
with two pages, general and detached.
3. Have a button on the General Scan Options page
that opens a dialog of its own for the detached scan
options.

My preference is with 1, because it would not add more cmplexity to
the dialogs.

What do you think?

I've placed a screenshot here in case you don't have the BOSS
branch compiled:
http://ftp.intevation.de/boss/nessus/screenshots/2004-10-11/general-options.png

Best

Jan
--
Jan-Oliver Wagner http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS http://freegis.org/

deraison at nessus

Oct 11, 2004, 6:34 AM

Re: GTK2 GUI: Separate detached scan options? [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 03:28:08PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I worked on the scan options page of the GTK2 client,
> I came to the idea of separating the detached scan options
> from the general options. This is to save some vertical space
> in GUI and to have the sematically special topic of detached
> scans more clearly separated.

[...]
> My preference is with 1, because it would not add more cmplexity to
> the dialogs.
>
> What do you think?

Detached scans may go away entirely in Nessus 2.4 - they are not that
used and the backend implementation is complex and ugly. So having the
options in a separate notebook page will make the removal easier in the
future.

-- Renaud

jan at intevation

Oct 18, 2004, 2:35 AM

Re: GTK2 GUI: Separate detached scan options? [In reply to]

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 09:34:57AM -0400, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 03:28:08PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > when I worked on the scan options page of the GTK2 client,
> > I came to the idea of separating the detached scan options
> > from the general options. This is to save some vertical space
> > in GUI and to have the sematically special topic of detached
> > scans more clearly separated.
> >
> [...]
> > My preference is with 1, because it would not add more cmplexity to
> > the dialogs.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Detached scans may go away entirely in Nessus 2.4 - they are not that
> used and the backend implementation is complex and ugly. So having the
> options in a separate notebook page will make the removal easier in the
> future.

OK. I just checked in the separation of the the detached scan options
in the BOSS branch.
Reduces the height of the mainwindow considerably btw :-)

Best

Jan