Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

me at anuragbhatia

Aug 15, 2012, 3:10 PM

Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name

Hello everyone

I was dealing with a case where there's a mismatch in nameserver of a
domain (nameservers set at registrar) and NS record on the delegated
servers. Now NS on delegated servers are good and I am trying to create
list of domains using wrong nameservers at registrar.

Now as you would be knowing if I do regular dig with ns, it provides NS
records. However I was able to find nameservers by digging gTLD root for
gTLD based domains. This works for .com/net/org etc but again fails for say
.us, .in etc. I was wondering if there's an easy way to do it rather then
running script on thousands of domain names again & again digging registry
specific nameservers?

May be does someone knows/runs any simple server which can be whois'ed for
some basic regular output which can be printed. Regular whois output for
domain names seems hard to parse.

Thanks.

--

Anurag Bhatia
anuragbhatia.com

Linkedin <http://in.linkedin.com/in/anuragbhatia21> |
Twitter<https://twitter.com/anurag_bhatia>|
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/118280168625121532854>

morrowc.lists at gmail

Aug 15, 2012, 5:39 PM

Re: Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Anurag Bhatia <me [at] anuragbhatia> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>

> I was dealing with a case where there's a mismatch in nameserver of a
> domain (nameservers set at registrar) and NS record on the delegated
> servers. Now NS on delegated servers are good and I am trying to create
> list of domains using wrong nameservers at registrar.

so you tested this with: dig +trace <domain> ?
or dig NS domain @TLD.server && matched against dig NS domain
@domain-ns-server ?

(you didn't give much info to go on here...)

> Now as you would be knowing if I do regular dig with ns, it provides NS
> records. However I was able to find nameservers by digging gTLD root for
> gTLD based domains. This works for .com/net/org etc but again fails for say
> .us, .in etc. I was wondering if there's an easy way to do it rather then
> running script on thousands of domain names again & again digging registry
> specific nameservers?

+trace

> May be does someone knows/runs any simple server which can be whois'ed for
> some basic regular output which can be printed. Regular whois output for
> domain names seems hard to parse.

participate in weirds... try to make 'whois' better.

> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Anurag Bhatia
> anuragbhatia.com
>
> Linkedin <http://in.linkedin.com/in/anuragbhatia21> |
> Twitter<https://twitter.com/anurag_bhatia>|
> Google+ <https://plus.google.com/118280168625121532854>

mpalmer at hezmatt

Aug 17, 2012, 5:14 AM

Re: Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 06:10:25PM -0400, Anurag Bhatia wrote:
> Now as you would be knowing if I do regular dig with ns, it provides NS
> records. However I was able to find nameservers by digging gTLD root for
> gTLD based domains. This works for .com/net/org etc but again fails for say
> .us, .in etc. I was wondering if there's an easy way to do it rather then
> running script on thousands of domain names again & again digging registry
> specific nameservers?

I religiously use http://squish.net/dnscheck/ the moment I suspect *any*
sort of DNS hinkiness. Verbose, but *damn* if it doesn't hand me the answer
practically every time.

- Matt

mike at mikejones

Aug 17, 2012, 6:37 AM

Re: Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name [In reply to]

On 17 August 2012 13:14, Matthew Palmer <mpalmer [at] hezmatt> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 06:10:25PM -0400, Anurag Bhatia wrote:
>> Now as you would be knowing if I do regular dig with ns, it provides NS
>> records. However I was able to find nameservers by digging gTLD root for
>> gTLD based domains. This works for .com/net/org etc but again fails for say
>> .us, .in etc. I was wondering if there's an easy way to do it rather then
>> running script on thousands of domain names again & again digging registry
>> specific nameservers?
>
> I religiously use http://squish.net/dnscheck/ the moment I suspect *any*
> sort of DNS hinkiness. Verbose, but *damn* if it doesn't hand me the answer
> practically every time.

It doesn't say anything about both of the servers for your domain
currently being broken ;)

http://nswalk.com/?hostname=hezmatt.org&type=A

- Mike

the.lists at mgm51

Aug 17, 2012, 7:30 AM

Re: Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name [In reply to]

On 8/17/2012 at 10:14 PM Matthew Palmer wrote:

|I religiously use http://squish.net/dnscheck/ the moment I suspect
*any*
|sort of DNS hinkiness. Verbose, but *damn* if it doesn't hand me the
|answer practically every time.

Looks like a nice site, but I couldn't get past the captcha. "rn" looks
way too much like "m" and vice versa.

jra at baylink

Aug 17, 2012, 7:39 AM

Re: Finding "Name Servers" (not NS records) of domain name [In reply to]