Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

grizz at dipd

Jul 28, 2012, 2:36 PM

Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts

As a quick update, we've implemented some list settings last week to help to
keep spam off the list. New subscribers are moderated until we're comfortable
with their posts. We rejected the idea of keyword based message filtering
since not only is a lot of work to maintain, it's trivial to get around it if
you really want to post banned words.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Matt Griswold, on behalf of the NANOG Communications Committee

valdis.kletnieks at vt

Jul 30, 2012, 10:35 AM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:04:36 +0200, Panashe Flack said:
> list for continued activity. And just for reference - have you guys
> SEEN the "Linux Kernel Mailing List"? - it gets frequent spam posts
> and yet is perfectly able to ignore the spam/irrelevant posts and
> continue on its remit.

For those who don't drink from the Linux-Kernel firehose, it averages
1 or 2 spams per day - and anywhere from 500 to 700 postings a day.

As Linus Torvalds said, back when it was averaging 200 a day:

"Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who
expects to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will
read even half. Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about
a thousand gnomes working in under-ground caves in Swansea. None of the
individual gnomes read all the postings either, they just work together
really well."

The list managers do an incredible job of stopping spam - but even if
50 or 75 a day got through, they'd just be lost in the noise. You're skipping
several hundred messages a day, skipping a few more isn't any different.

patrick at ianai

Jul 30, 2012, 10:42 AM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

I'm sorry Panashe is upset by this rule. Interestingly, "Your search - Panashe Flack nanog - did not match any documents." So my guess is that a post from that account has not happened before, meaning the post was moderated yet still made it through.

Has anyone done a data mining experiment to see how many posts a month are from "new" members? My guess is it is a trivial percentage.

--
TTFN,
patrick

On Jul 30, 2012, at 13:35 , valdis.kletnieks [at] vt wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:04:36 +0200, Panashe Flack said:
>> list for continued activity. And just for reference - have you guys
>> and yet is perfectly able to ignore the spam/irrelevant posts and
>> continue on its remit.
>
> For those who don't drink from the Linux-Kernel firehose, it averages
> 1 or 2 spams per day - and anywhere from 500 to 700 postings a day.
>
> As Linus Torvalds said, back when it was averaging 200 a day:
>
> "Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who
> expects to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will
> read even half. Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about
> a thousand gnomes working in under-ground caves in Swansea. None of the
> individual gnomes read all the postings either, they just work together
> really well."
>
> The list managers do an incredible job of stopping spam - but even if
> 50 or 75 a day got through, they'd just be lost in the noise. You're skipping
> several hundred messages a day, skipping a few more isn't any different.

shrdlu at deaddrop

Jul 30, 2012, 10:57 AM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

On 7/30/2012 12:04 PM, Panashe Flack wrote:
>> As a quick update, we've implemented some list settings last week to help to
>> keep spam off the list. New subscribers are moderated until we're comfortable
>> with their posts...

> I dislike this change - how long are subscribers considered "new"?

I applaud this change. If I still traveled, I'd show up to the next
NANOG, and buy the committee a beer. Instead, I send them my thanks.

I run a couple of mailing lists, and every once in a while, someone will
subscribe and set off my cynicism meter. I hit the moderate button on
the new account, and sad to say, I've only been wrong to do so once, out
of the last ten times I did it.

Thanks again.

--
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

snoble at sonn

Jul 30, 2012, 10:57 AM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

The fix for this issue is trivial. Every new signup should require a sponsor or a deposit of funds into a new member fund. Once a member has made a relevant post regarding a NANOG related item their funds are returned.

If someone spams they forfeit the money and it is used to help defray the costs of attending NANOG for the 99%.

If the poster has been sponsored by a current member, said member is flogged in public at the next meeting.

...runs

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 30, 2012, at 10:42 AM, "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick [at] ianai> wrote:

> I'm sorry Panashe is upset by this rule. Interestingly, "Your search - Panashe Flack nanog - did not match any documents." So my guess is that a post from that account has not happened before, meaning the post was moderated yet still made it through.
>
> Has anyone done a data mining experiment to see how many posts a month are from "new" members? My guess is it is a trivial percentage.
>
> --
> TTFN,
> patrick
>

> On Jul 30, 2012, at 13:35 , valdis.kletnieks [at] vt wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:04:36 +0200, Panashe Flack said:
>>> list for continued activity. And just for reference - have you guys
>>> and yet is perfectly able to ignore the spam/irrelevant posts and
>>> continue on its remit.
>>
>> For those who don't drink from the Linux-Kernel firehose, it averages
>> 1 or 2 spams per day - and anywhere from 500 to 700 postings a day.
>>
>> As Linus Torvalds said, back when it was averaging 200 a day:
>>
>> "Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who
>> expects to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will
>> read even half. Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about
>> a thousand gnomes working in under-ground caves in Swansea. None of the
>> individual gnomes read all the postings either, they just work together
>> really well."
>>
>> The list managers do an incredible job of stopping spam - but even if
>> 50 or 75 a day got through, they'd just be lost in the noise. You're skipping
>> several hundred messages a day, skipping a few more isn't any different.

randy at psg

Jul 30, 2012, 11:15 AM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

> I applaud this change.

<aol>

thanks MLC or whatever it calls itself this week

randy

rgolodner at infratection

Jul 30, 2012, 11:51 AM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

I as well think some temporary moderation is a good idea.
It would have been nice to think we were all mature enough to have ignored such spew. I will continue to have faith and wish the moderators a very light work load.
Richard Golodner
thanks MLC or whatever it calls itself this week

randy

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

joelja at bogus

Jul 30, 2012, 12:04 PM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

On 7/30/12 10:57 AM, Steven Noble wrote:
> The fix for this issue is trivial. Every new signup should require a sponsor or a deposit of funds into a new member fund. Once a member has made a relevant post regarding a NANOG related item their funds are returned.
>
> If someone spams they forfeit the money and it is used to help defray the costs of attending NANOG for the 99%.
>
> If the poster has been sponsored by a current member, said member is flogged in public at the next meeting.
Most of the subscribers to the mailing list never post.

> ...runs
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 30, 2012, at 10:42 AM, "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick [at] ianai> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry Panashe is upset by this rule. Interestingly, "Your search - Panashe Flack nanog - did not match any documents." So my guess is that a post from that account has not happened before, meaning the post was moderated yet still made it through.
>>
>> Has anyone done a data mining experiment to see how many posts a month are from "new" members? My guess is it is a trivial percentage.
>>
>> --
>> TTFN,
>> patrick

>>> For those who don't drink from the Linux-Kernel firehose, it averages
>>> 1 or 2 spams per day - and anywhere from 500 to 700 postings a day.
>>>
>>> As Linus Torvalds said, back when it was averaging 200 a day:
>>>
>>> "Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who
>>> expects to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will
>>> read even half. Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about
>>> a thousand gnomes working in under-ground caves in Swansea. None of the
>>> individual gnomes read all the postings either, they just work together
>>> really well."
>>>
>>> The list managers do an incredible job of stopping spam - but even if
>>> 50 or 75 a day got through, they'd just be lost in the noise. You're skipping
>>> several hundred messages a day, skipping a few more isn't any different.

lists222 at m

Jul 30, 2012, 12:04 PM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]

> As a quick update, we've implemented some list settings last week to help to
> keep spam off the list. New subscribers are moderated until we're comfortable
> with their posts. We rejected the idea of keyword based message filtering
> since not only is a lot of work to maintain, it's trivial to get around it if
> you really want to post banned words.
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome.
>

> Matt Griswold, on behalf of the NANOG Communications Committee

I dislike this change - how long are subscribers considered "new"? I
believe (and I hope I'm wrong) that with this new rule the nanog
maiing list will turn into another fulldisc (list activity greatly
reduced) by this change. Before this change I had thought of nanog as
the new fulldisc - I guess I will have to find yet ANOTHER mailing
list for continued activity. And just for reference - have you guys
SEEN the "Linux Kernel Mailing List"? - it gets frequent spam posts
and yet is perfectly able to ignore the spam/irrelevant posts and
continue on its remit.

jra at baylink

Jul 30, 2012, 1:35 PM

Re: Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts [In reply to]