From: Andrew Lewis <andrew [at] pdqvpn>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:29:05 -0400
To: Eugen Leitl <eugen [at] leitl>, liberationtech [at] lists
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Syria blackout?

----- End forwarded message -----
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A 7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE

eugen at leitl

Re: [liberationtech] Syria blackout? [In reply to]

----- Forwarded message from Andrew <andrew [at] pdqvpn> -----

From: Andrew <andrew [at] pdqvpn>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:36:22 -0400
To: liberationtech [at] lists
rv:12.0) Gecko/20120428 Thunderbird/12.0.1

If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?"

Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list moderator.

Please don't forget to follow us on http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech

----- End forwarded message -----
8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A 7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE

andrew at pdqvpn

Re: [liberationtech] Syria blackout? [In reply to]

And as a follow up on this list:

I have one report from one ISP(Sawa) that things are blocked. I am now
trying to collect more info to see if it is something implemented at
the ISP level or something at the exit points for the entire country.
These international connections fall under the control of STE(State
Telecom Establishment) and the PDN/PDN2 backbone that they control,
which everyone else rides on top of. In the past all blocking was
ordered and relayed through STE, but implemented at the ISP level.
This resulted in discrepancies and uneven filtering as ISP choose to
interpret the rules a little differently, as well as using different
to tech to implement the orders from the Syrian Government. If this is
a uniform block across all ISPs, then it indicates that STE has
stepped in and and taken responsibility. It also indicates that they
may have acquired new gear, as they did not have the capacity or
skills to take part in such activity in the past.

- -Andrew

On 5/31/2012 3:01 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Andrew <andrew [at] pdqvpn> -----
>
> From: Andrew <andrew [at] pdqvpn> Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 14:36:22
> -0400 To: liberationtech [at] lists Subject: Re:
> [liberationtech] Syria blackout? User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
> NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20120428 Thunderbird/12.0.1
>
> And it looks like I maybe wrong. It seems that torrents, and
> videos stopped working sometime yesterday. I am going to do some
> more digging. Tor, and some specific types of VPNs still seem to be
> working fine.
>
> -Andrew
>
> On 5/31/2012 2:26 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> ----- Forwarded message from Rafael Cresci <rafael [at] cresci>
>> -----
>
>> From: Rafael Cresci <rafael [at] cresci> Date: Thu, 31 May 2012
>> 14:41:09 -0300 To: nanog [at] nanog Subject: Syria blackout?
>
>> Customers (from UAE) who have servers with us in Atlanta - one
>> of the companies I work for, remaining anonymus for the moment -
>> are reporting that their sub-customers and viewers from Syria
>> can't access FTP or download any kind of Flash/video/multimedia
>> content from inside that country. Completely blocked.
>
>> Anyone confirms?
>
>> Another government blockage to avoid social captiruing of
>> massacre videos and photos?
>

>> ----- End forwarded message -----

> If you would like to receive a daily digest, click "yes" (once you
> click above) next to "would you like to receive list mail batched
> in a daily digest?"
>
> You will need the user name and password you receive from the list
> moderator in monthly reminders. You may ask for a reminder here:
>
> Should you need immediate assistance, please contact the list
> moderator.
>
> Please don't forget to follow us on
> http://twitter.com/#!/Liberationtech

eugen at leitl

Re: [liberationtech] Syria blackout? [In reply to]

----- Forwarded message from KheOps <kheops [at] ceops> -----