Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

ASN source when using "-A with traceroute"

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

me at anuragbhatia

ASN source when using "-A with traceroute"

Hello everyone!

I have a funny case - one of our upstream provider announced our address
space for very short time which was well due to confusion since we
requested them to announce one of other blocks while they by mistake
announced both blocks.

Anyways, now funny thing here is - whenever I run a traceroute from any of
Linux server from any location, I see upsteam provider as well as our ASN
in output of traceroute -A.

This is not really a problem at all but I am just curious to know the
source of IP-ASN mapping in traceroute output. Also any ideas on update
frequency of that source?

Thanks!

--

Anurag Bhatia
anuragbhatia.com

Linkedin <http://in.linkedin.com/in/anuragbhatia21> |
Twitter<https://twitter.com/anurag_bhatia>|
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/118280168625121532854>

ahebert at pubnix

Re: ASN source when using "-A with traceroute" [In reply to]

( I coudln't resist )

http://traceroute.sourceforge.net/

#define DEF_RADB_SERVER "whois.radb.net"
#define DEF_RADB_SERVICE "whois"

const char *get_as_path (const char *query) {

server = getenv ("RA_SERVER");
if (!server) server = DEF_RADB_SERVER;

service = getenv ("RA_SERVICE");
if (!service) service = DEF_RADB_SERVICE;

n = snprintf (buf, sizeof (buf), "%s\r\n", query);

Yadi, yada...

So unless radb croak... you'll be fine.

-----
Alain Hebert ahebert [at] pubnix
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770 Beaconsfield, Quebec H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911 http://www.pubnix.net Fax: 514-990-9443