Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO for OOB

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

cjp at 0x1

Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO for OOB

Is anyone using Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO ("3G") for OOB work? I'm trying to
sort out how exactly to order a compatible service from them.
Unfortunately I don't manage our Verizon Wireless relationship, so I
need to be specific.

Is there a service code or name they refer to this service as?
Looking for low bandwidth, static IP.

-cjp

paul4004 at gmail

Re: Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO for OOB [In reply to]

Call a business sales rep and ask for "telemetry" or "Machine to Machine"
data plans.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Christopher J. Pilkington <cjp [at] 0x1>wrote:

> Is anyone using Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO ("3G") for OOB work? I'm trying to
> sort out how exactly to order a compatible service from them.
> Unfortunately I don't manage our Verizon Wireless relationship, so I
> need to be specific.
>
> Is there a service code or name they refer to this service as?
> Looking for low bandwidth, static IP.
>
> -cjp

dhubbard at dino

RE: Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO for OOB [In reply to]

We've recently deployed our first Opengear ACM5004-G
http://opengear.com/product-acm5000-g.html and its
working great. It has cellular (3G), ethernet, USB and
four serial interfaces; you could easily daisy chain a
serial interface to a terminal server if you need more
OOB serial ports.

The setup was very easy; our Verizon rep just required
the ESN off the bottom of the unit since Opengear's already
gone through Verizon's certification process so their
devices' ESN's are known to Verizon as valid for their
network. He asked what plan we wanted, I told him I wanted
a static public IP, two days later we were up and running.
Since this is considered a M2M (machine to machine) device,
similar to alarm systems and other low bandwidth devices,
you can get monthly plans down to $7 for a few megabytes
and up to normal consumer-level 5 gigs for $50/month type
plans. The static IP didn't add any cost.

The device has a cool unique feature where you can set it
to keep the cellular interface 'down' for data as its
normal state so no one outside is trying to break into it
or wasting your bandwidth. Then you send a text message
to the phone number assigned to it and it will bring up
the data interface so you can SSH in. You can configure
firewall rules on it, use key-based auth, change the ssh
port number, etc.

David

davidpeahi at gmail

Re: Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO for OOB [In reply to]

We use 1X/EVDO for telemetry polling, but find that the latency is very
high with VZW to Verizon wired networks located in east Texas, so if your
network is on the west coast, every packet traverses the US continent twice
even though the endpoints may be less than 100 miles (or even 1 mile)
apart. VZW also tears down the cell tower to cell modem connection every 24
hours, resulting in IP connectivity loss, so this service is no good for
high availability applications. AT&T Mobility has a similar service, but
they keep the connection up all the time allowing the network designer to
use their service for high availability applications. AT&T's gateways are
in the Pacific Northwest, I believe, so the latency problem is the same.