Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

gourmetcisco at hotmail

Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show realtime link utilization via snmp?

Mikrotik's "The Dude" app actually does exactly what I'm looking for, but the snmp support for non-RouterOS devices seems to be lacking, as it simply won't enumerate my switch interfaces in order to capture utilization.

I've downloaded several trial tools (WhatsUp, NetCure, Solarwinds LANsurveyor etc.) but they don't serve this very basic need of mine to see the realtime link util in the diagram.

Thanks,
Hank Disuko

tate at baumrucker

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

InfoVista Vista360 does it.
It's part of a bigger tool set and isn't cheap, but it's pretty cool.
Tate

On Tue, 1 May 2012 12:41:19 -0400, Hank Disuko wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show
> realtime link utilization via snmp?
>
> Mikrotik's "The Dude" app actually does exactly what I'm looking for,
> but the snmp support for non-RouterOS devices seems to be lacking, as
> it simply won't enumerate my switch interfaces in order to capture
> utilization.
>
> I've downloaded several trial tools (WhatsUp, NetCure, Solarwinds
> LANsurveyor etc.) but they don't serve this very basic need of mine
> see the realtime link util in the diagram.
>
> Thanks,
> Hank Disuko

believed to be clean.

khomyakov.andrey at gmail

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

cacti by use of weather maps?
Alternatively, Intermapper is pretty good, but commercial. It's more of an
NMS than a diagram tool though. Everywhere I used it, I was pretty happy
with it.

--Andrey

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Hank Disuko <gourmetcisco [at] hotmail>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show
> realtime link utilization via snmp?
>
> Mikrotik's "The Dude" app actually does exactly what I'm looking for, but
> the snmp support for non-RouterOS devices seems to be lacking, as it simply
> won't enumerate my switch interfaces in order to capture utilization.
>
> I've downloaded several trial tools (WhatsUp, NetCure, Solarwinds
> LANsurveyor etc.) but they don't serve this very basic need of mine to see
> the realtime link util in the diagram.
>
> Thanks,
> Hank Disuko

rene.skjoldmose at gmail

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

On 2012-05-01 18:41, Hank Disuko wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show realtime link utilization via snmp?
Were i work we do it with perl, rrdtool and graphviz - it's fairly
simple to put together, and that way, you get exactly what you need.

Cheers,
René

thegameiam at yahoo

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

Netbrain OE does this.

David Barak
Sent from a mobile device, please forgive autocorrection.

On May 1, 2012, at 12:47 PM, Andrey Khomyakov <khomyakov.andrey [at] gmail> wrote:

> cacti by use of weather maps?
> Alternatively, Intermapper is pretty good, but commercial. It's more of an
> NMS than a diagram tool though. Everywhere I used it, I was pretty happy
> with it.
>
> --Andrey
>

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Hank Disuko <gourmetcisco [at] hotmail>wrote:
>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show
>> realtime link utilization via snmp?
>>
>> Mikrotik's "The Dude" app actually does exactly what I'm looking for, but
>> the snmp support for non-RouterOS devices seems to be lacking, as it simply
>> won't enumerate my switch interfaces in order to capture utilization.
>>
>> I've downloaded several trial tools (WhatsUp, NetCure, Solarwinds
>> LANsurveyor etc.) but they don't serve this very basic need of mine to see
>> the realtime link util in the diagram.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hank Disuko

streiner at cluebyfour

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

On Tue, 1 May 2012, Rene Skjoldmose wrote:

> On 2012-05-01 18:41, Hank Disuko wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show
>> realtime link utilization via snmp?
> Were i work we do it with perl, rrdtool and graphviz - it's fairly simple to
> put together, and that way, you get exactly what you need.

It's also worth mentioning that most of the tools listed in response to
the original message show data in near-real-time, such as 1 or 5-minute
averages. 'real-time' in this case starts to lead down a slippery slope
of terminology gaps ;)

jms

shortdudey123 at gmail

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

I have discovered ITGuru works pretty good.

http://itnetworkguru.com/

-Grant

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Justin M. Streiner <streiner [at] cluebyfour
> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 May 2012, Rene Skjoldmose wrote:
>
> On 2012-05-01 18:41, Hank Disuko wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show
>>> realtime link utilization via snmp?
>>>
>> Were i work we do it with perl, rrdtool and graphviz - it's fairly simple
>> to put together, and that way, you get exactly what you need.
>>

> It's also worth mentioning that most of the tools listed in response to
> the original message show data in near-real-time, such as 1 or 5-minute
> averages. 'real-time' in this case starts to lead down a slippery slope of
> terminology gaps ;)
>
> jms

gourmetcisco at hotmail

RE: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

Thanks, I'll see if I can pull the correct OID and try it with the Dude again.

Also, thanks to everyone who has responded.  I realize the term "realtime" is subjective - I'm looking for near-realtime...maybe a 30 second interval.

I've been playing around with Intermapper for about 30 minutes now...i like this tool, but would like to see bitrates represented on the map as opposed to the "crawling ants".  clicking around to see if kind of view is available...

thanks again folks.  Good example, in my case anyway, of NANOG outperforming Google (or at least my crappy attempts at google search terms).

-Hank

> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 13:22:35 -0400
> From: sreed [at] nwwnet
> To: gourmetcisco [at] hotmail
> Subject: Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin
>
> I monitor non-MT devices with the Dude.
> As long as you know the OID, it works just fine.
>
> On 5/1/2012 12:41 PM, Hank Disuko wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show realtime link utilization via snmp?
> >
> > Mikrotik's "The Dude" app actually does exactly what I'm looking for, but the snmp support for non-RouterOS devices seems to be lacking, as it simply won't enumerate my switch interfaces in order to capture utilization.
> >
> > I've downloaded several trial tools (WhatsUp, NetCure, Solarwinds LANsurveyor etc.) but they don't serve this very basic need of mine to see the realtime link util in the diagram.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hank Disuko
> >

> > -----
> > No virus found in this message.

> Scott Reed
> Owner
> NewWays Networking, LLC
> Wireless Networking
> Network Design, Installation and Administration
>

> Mikrotik Advanced Certified
>
> www.nwwnet.net
> (765) 855-1060
> (765) 439-4253
> (855) 231-6239

joelja at bogus

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

we use cacti weathermap plugin, though obviously realtime has a
dependency on your sample interval. I'm presuming your definition
thereof isn't instantaneous monitoring of queue depth.

On 5/1/12 10:49 , Hank Disuko wrote:

> Thanks, I'll see if I can pull the correct OID and try it with the Dude again.
>
> Also, thanks to everyone who has responded. I realize the term "realtime" is subjective - I'm looking for near-realtime...maybe a 30 second interval.
>
> I've been playing around with Intermapper for about 30 minutes now...i like this tool, but would like to see bitrates represented on the map as opposed to the "crawling ants". clicking around to see if kind of view is available...
>
> thanks again folks. Good example, in my case anyway, of NANOG outperforming Google (or at least my crappy attempts at google search terms).
>
> -Hank

>> Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 13:22:35 -0400
>> From: sreed [at] nwwnet
>> To: gourmetcisco [at] hotmail
>> Subject: Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin
>>
>> I monitor non-MT devices with the Dude.
>> As long as you know the OID, it works just fine.
>>
>> On 5/1/2012 12:41 PM, Hank Disuko wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show realtime link utilization via snmp?
>>>
>>> Mikrotik's "The Dude" app actually does exactly what I'm looking for, but the snmp support for non-RouterOS devices seems to be lacking, as it simply won't enumerate my switch interfaces in order to capture utilization.
>>>
>>> I've downloaded several trial tools (WhatsUp, NetCure, Solarwinds LANsurveyor etc.) but they don't serve this very basic need of mine to see the realtime link util in the diagram.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Hank Disuko
>>>

>>> -----
>>> No virus found in this message.
>>>

>> --
>> Scott Reed
>> Owner
>> NewWays Networking, LLC
>> Wireless Networking
>> Network Design, Installation and Administration
>>

>> Mikrotik Advanced Certified
>>
>> www.nwwnet.net
>> (765) 855-1060
>> (765) 439-4253
>> (855) 231-6239

uwcableguy at gmail

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

on intermapper, simply right click the link, select 'status window' and you
will get all kinds of nice info. be sure to use the bandwidth command on
the interface if you are not using the default 10/100/1000/10gig. also,
the links turn yellow and orange as the line becomes more saturated (and
the 'ants' get bigger/smaller as utilization goes up and down).

only thing i don't like about intermapper is that vlans and physical
interfaces are separate from each other. and their tech support blows.

ben

khomyakov.andrey at gmail

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

About support: I only had good experience with their support, but that were
the days Janice still worked there. Haven't used them in over a year, so
not sure what they are up to right now.

--Andrey

nathan at atlasnetworks

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

Php network weathermap works well for me. The configuration language is pretty straightforward, and it's easy to consume data from either the usual suspects (mrtg), or to write a plugin that uses a custom (sql or other) datasource.

This gets you within 60 seconds of realtime, and the price (time) is right.

Nathan Eisenberg

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

At 01-05-2012 18:41, Hank Disuko wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone can recommend a network diagram tool that can show realtime link utilization via snmp?

Guess Observium is really up to your alley :)
www.observium.org

mdevlin at aisle10

RE: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

Check out InterMapper (http://www.intermapper.com/) Its java based, but
works real well

me at anuragbhatia

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

I have been using Zenoss quite a bit. It does not shows exact real time
stat of interface but close to real time + it has ton more options for
monitoring via Zenpacks.

http://community.zenoss.org

--

Anurag Bhatia
anuragbhatia.com

Linkedin <http://in.linkedin.com/in/anuragbhatia21> |
Twitter<https://twitter.com/anurag_bhatia>|
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/118280168625121532854>

jeroen at mompl

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

Anurag Bhatia wrote:
> I have been using Zenoss quite a bit. It does not shows exact real time
> stat of interface but close to real time + it has ton more options for

I remember someone here saying that real time monitoring gives you
useless results, because if you make the time of measurement small
enough the utilisation becomes 100%. Measurement of throughput is how
many times this happens during a particular time interval. I hope I
remembered right.

Reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmenides#The_Way_of_Truth

"Moreover he argued that movement was impossible because it requires
moving into "the void", and Parmenides identified "the void" with
nothing, and therefore (by definition) it does not exist. That which
does exist is The Parmenidean One, which is timeless, uniform, and
unchanging"

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 3.3
Date: Friday, May 4, 2012 05:16:08 UTC
Location: Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Latitude: 19.4332; Longitude: -155.2877
Depth: 2.40 km

dmiller at tiggee

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

On 5/4/2012 6:53 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Anurag Bhatia wrote:
>> I have been using Zenoss quite a bit. It does not shows exact real time
>> stat of interface but close to real time + it has ton more options for
>
> I remember someone here saying that real time monitoring gives you
> useless results, because if you make the time of measurement small
> enough the utilisation becomes 100%. Measurement of throughput is how
> many times this happens during a particular time interval. I hope I
> remembered right.

I think you are referring to this thread -
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nanog/users/149903

and in particular this quote:
cjp at 0x1 wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 11:25am
As sampling rate approaches zero, so will the "spikyness" of the
graph--ultimately an interface is either sending a frame (*100*%) or
it's
not (0%).

-cjp

Utilisation doesn't "become 100%", instead measured utilisation will
either be 100% or 0% at each interval.

-DMM

livio.zanol.puppim at gmail

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

In a troubleshooting situation I think real time is valid. Off course, is
non-sense doing this for "normal" monitoring...

But firstly define: What's real-time? every second? miliseconds? 10
seconds? 30 seconds? It's subjective nowadays

--
[]'s

Lívio Zanol Puppim

jeroen at mompl

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

David Miller wrote:
> I think you are referring to this thread -
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nanog/users/149903

> Utilisation doesn't "become 100%", instead measured utilisation will
> either be 100% or 0% at each interval.

Thanks, and yes that was what I was trying to say. :-)

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.9
Date: Saturday, May 5, 2012 03:34:01 UTC
Location: North Indian Ocean
Latitude: 3.6480; Longitude: 86.7091
Depth: 12.70 km

cgrosskopf at scoe

Re: Network diagram app that shows realtime link utilizatin [In reply to]

Try out Observium...simple install and integration with RANCID.

Date: Saturday, May 5, 2012 03:34:01 UTC
Location: North Indian Ocean
Latitude: 3.6480; Longitude: 86.7091
Depth: 12.70 km

Notice to Recipient: Information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, it is strictly prohibited to use, disseminate or copy this communication. If you have received this in error, please reply to the sender and then delete the message.Thank you.

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded