Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

April fools joke?

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

leigh.porter at ukbroadband

April fools joke?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

It's sad when you just can't tell with things like this..

--
Leigh

lists at mtin

Re: April fools joke? [In reply to]

I hate April 1 on the Web. You are right you never can tell. I would be
appalled if someone as respectable as the BBC stoops to downright dumb
pranks.

However, it is England. They have some of the most strict laws in the
"Free" world.

I hate the Interweb on April 1. lol

>It's sad when you just can't tell with things like this..
>
>--
>Leigh

>This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
>For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com

tknchris at gmail

Re: April fools joke? [In reply to]

April 1st or not its the gist of that story is probably already true
whether you know it or not.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Justin Wilson <lists [at] mtin> wrote:

> I hate April 1 on the Web. You are right you never can tell. I
> would be
> appalled if someone as respectable as the BBC stoops to downright dumb
> pranks.
>
> However, it is England. They have some of the most strict laws in
> the
> "Free" world.
>
> I hate the Interweb on April 1. lol

maxsec at gmail

Re: April fools joke? [In reply to]

On Sunday, 1 April 2012, chris wrote:

> April 1st or not its the gist of that story is probably already true
> whether you know it or not.
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Justin Wilson <lists [at] mtin<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > I hate April 1 on the Web. You are right you never can tell. I
> > would be
> > appalled if someone as respectable as the BBC stoops to downright dumb
> > pranks.
> >
> > However, it is England. They have some of the most strict laws in
> > the
> > "Free" world.
> >
> > I hate the Interweb on April 1. lol

Re visit of the stuff that was thrown out about 3 years when raised by
Labour govmt and berated by the present govemt when they were in opposition

Home Office and others want it but most businesses don't and the civil
liberties guys are quite against it - requirement on any online or comms
provider to keep logs for ages!

Martin

Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK

gbonser at seven

> It's sad when you just can't tell with things like this..
>
> --
> Leigh

I was hoping for something good, like maybe an extension of RFC 1149 implementing ECN (aka SQUAWK) in avian carriers. I'm disappointed.

kmedcalf at dessus

RE: April fools joke? [In reply to]

> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

> > It's sad when you just can't tell with things like this..

> I was hoping for something good, like maybe an extension of RFC 1149
> implementing ECN (aka SQUAWK) in avian carriers. I'm disappointed.

ECN doesn't help if the Hunting Season bit is set.

---
() ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail
/\ www.asciiribbon.org

bonomi at mail

RE: April fools joke? [In reply to]

"Keith Medcalf" wrote:
{prior attributions lost}
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745
>
> > > It's sad when you just can't tell with things like this..
>
> > I was hoping for something good, like maybe an extension of RFC 1149
> > implementing ECN (aka SQUAWK) in avian carriers. I'm disappointed.
>
> ECN doesn't help if the Hunting Season bit is set.

That's a situation where you *want* Bugs in the project.

"Wabbit Season!"

oscar.vives at gmail

Re: April fools joke? [In reply to]

On 2 April 2012 06:56, Robert Bonomi <bonomi [at] mail> wrote:

> "Keith Medcalf" wrote:
> {prior attributions lost}

>> > I was hoping for something good, like maybe an extension of RFC 1149
>> > implementing ECN (aka SQUAWK) in avian carriers. I'm disappointed.
>>
>> ECN doesn't help if the Hunting Season bit is set.
>
> That's a situation where you *want* Bugs in the project.
>
>  "Wabbit Season!"

Joke is on then.

I make all my terrorist talking in Counter-Strike. Since the game
packets are not logued, nothing is logued. And we use a special
language so a possible spy would not understand us.

1. "OMFG! It's a deagle train! Camp for your life!"
2. "W00T kill #7 Total deagle-train!"
3. "Why don't you use that M4 you have?"
2. "Because I'm deagle-training n00b!"

Logging emails:
- 100% false positives: log data from everyone not evil
- 100% missed messages: don't log data from evil people

The very definition of useless. Probably another "feel good", "look
how we combat the evuuul" politics.

ℱin del ℳensaje.

oscar.vives at gmail

Re: April fools joke? [In reply to]

On 2 April 2012 13:40, Tei <oscar.vives [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 2 April 2012 06:56, Robert Bonomi <bonomi [at] mail> wrote:
>>
>> "Keith Medcalf" wrote:
>> {prior attributions lost}

>>> ECN doesn't help if the Hunting Season bit is set.
>>
>> That's a situation where you *want* Bugs in the project.
>>
>>  "Wabbit Season!"
>>

> Joke is on then.
>
> I make all my terrorist talking in Counter-Strike.  Since the game
> packets are not logued, nothing is logued.   And we use a special
> language so a possible spy would not understand us.
>
> 1. "OMFG! It's a deagle train! Camp for your life!"

Oops. sorry, seems will use deep packet inspection for games.

I suppose the trigger for wen the terrorist say "we have setup the
bomb" will trigger a few hundreds of times per minute. :-/

ℱin del ℳensaje.

jra at baylink

Re: April fools joke? [In reply to]

> Oops. sorry, seems will use deep packet inspection for games.
>
> I suppose the trigger for wen the terrorist say "we have setup the
> bomb" will trigger a few hundreds of times per minute. :-/

"Somebody set up us the bomb."

(Though in general use, "set us up" is more commonly heard.)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded