Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

IX in France

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ido at oasis-tech

Feb 21, 2012, 8:46 AM

IX in France

Hi All,

We are currently looking to connect to one of the IX's available in Paris,

It seems that there are 2 "major" players - FranceIX and Equinix FR, can
anyone share their opinions about those?

Thanks,

Ido
Attachments: smime.p7s (5.93 KB)

jared at puck

Feb 21, 2012, 8:53 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

On Feb 21, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Ido Szargel wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are currently looking to connect to one of the IX's available in Paris,
>
> It seems that there are 2 "major" players - FranceIX and Equinix FR, can
> anyone share their opinions about those?

At my former employer we connected to PARIX and don't recall any issues there.

www.parix.net (seems to be down right now).

- Jared

rmaunier at neotelecoms

Feb 21, 2012, 9:04 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

Hello,

In Paris you have Equinix Paris, Sfinx and FranceIX. I'm the co founder of
Franceix with 2 other folks, so I know well the subject :)
Franceix is a neutral IXP, and based on an association model ( exactly the
same model as Amsix ).

Today FranceIX is the biggest one in Paris and is located in all carrier
hotel in Paris ( except Equinix ) and also in Marseille.
There is some gateway with other IXP : Sfinx, Lyonix and Lucix (
Luxembourg ).

Both EquinixFR and Franceix have a partner program and you can connect to
both using a third partner ( or of course directly ).

You can have more information here : https://www.franceix.net/ or send an
email to info [at] franceix

Raphaël Maunier
NEO TELECOMS
CTO / Directeur Ingénierie
AS8218

On 2/21/12 5:53 PM, "Jared Mauch" <jared [at] puck> wrote:

>On Feb 21, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Ido Szargel wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We are currently looking to connect to one of the IX's available in
>>Paris,
>>
>> It seems that there are 2 "major" players - FranceIX and Equinix FR, can
>> anyone share their opinions about those?
>
>At my former employer we connected to PARIX and don't recall any issues
>there.
>
>www.parix.net (seems to be down right now).
>
>- Jared

laurent at guerby

Feb 21, 2012, 1:25 PM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 18:46 +0200, Ido Szargel wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> We are currently looking to connect to one of the IX's available in Paris,
>
> It seems that there are 2 "major" players - FranceIX and Equinix FR, can
> anyone share their opinions about those?

Hi,

We're connected to both (and to a smaller third one named FR-IX), it's
not that expensive and adds redundancy to join many peers.

Sincerely,

Laurent

o.calvano at gmail

Feb 21, 2012, 11:53 PM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

Hi

For me the best choice is FranceIX.

We are connected to Sfinx, FranceIX and Equinix, but 70% of our
peering traffic are sent on FranceIX.

Panap and Parix is dead

Best Regards
Olivier

Le 21 février 2012 17:46, Ido Szargel <ido [at] oasis-tech> a écrit :
> Hi All,
>

> We are currently looking to connect to one of the IX's available in Paris,
>
> It seems that there are 2 "major" players - FranceIX and Equinix FR, can
> anyone share their opinions about those?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ido

virendra.rode at gmail

Feb 23, 2012, 9:39 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

jared at puck

Feb 23, 2012, 10:00 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

On Feb 23, 2012, at 12:39 PM, virendra rode wrote:

> I understand this is not true peering relationship, however its an
> interesting way to obtain exchange point routes and I understand this is
> nothing new.

<mini-rant>

I've found people who use the term 'peering' to mean something different than what I personally interpret it to mean.

eg: "We have peering with 4 carriers at our colocation facility where you can place gear"

Translation: We have blended IP transit from 4 carriers, or you can directly connect to them as needed.

I understand why they call it this, because "I configured peering with Level3/Cogent" on my router, etc. The difference is in the policy. What you're speaking of is someone selling transit, which is perfectly fine over various IXes, you generally are prohibited from 'selling next-hop', i.e.: you have to bear the cost on the IX port of the forwarding.

</mini-rant>

Buying transit isn't as dirty as people think it is, sometimes its the right business decision. If you connect to an IX for $4000/mo at gig-e, you might as well buy transit at $4/meg on that same port IMHO. You're unlikely to be using the port at 100% anyways at the IX, so your cost-per-meg there needs to properly reflect your 95% or whatnot.

- Jared

nick at foobar

Feb 23, 2012, 10:18 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

On 23/02/2012 18:00, Jared Mauch wrote:
> Buying transit isn't as dirty as people think it is, sometimes its the
> right business decision. If you connect to an IX for $4000/mo at gig-e,

Anyone prepared to pay $4000/m for a gig IX connection is making the wrong
business decision.

Nick

virendra.rode at gmail

Feb 23, 2012, 10:28 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

christophe at clucas

Feb 23, 2012, 11:04 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

Le 21.02.2012 17:46, Ido Szargel a écrit :
> Hi All,
>

> We are currently looking to connect to one of the IX's available in
> Paris,
>
> It seems that there are 2 "major" players - FranceIX and Equinix FR,
> can
> anyone share their opinions about those?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ido

Hi,

My former employer is connected to France-IX. I have spent time in
peering managment and the service/connectivity is good.

My two cents.

Best regards,
--
Christophe Lucas
christophe [at] clucas

jerome at ceriz

Mar 15, 2012, 6:21 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

Le 21/02/12 17:46, Ido Szargel a écrit :
> It seems that there are 2 "major" players - FranceIX and Equinix FR, can
> anyone share their opinions about those?

Equinix-IX is cheaper (free Gig-e port) and has more member (including a
few big eyeball players with restrictive or selective policies).

France-IX has a robust structure and team, seems more stable according
to my logs.

Both allow private VLANs and commercial services over the public fabric.

Panap and Free-IX are dead, PARIX isn't although their site is down on
purpose for the pas two years or so. It's a commercial service from
Orange / France Telecom (wich is selling AS3215 transit and peering there).

--
Jérôme Nicolle
06 19 31 27 14

solene at franceix

Jun 7, 2012, 8:45 AM

Re: IX in France [In reply to]

Hi everyone,

Allow me to send you the link to France-IX's white paper on the peering
situation in France: http://bit.ly/y7KQ90.

If you have questions, you can drop us an e-mail to info [at] franceix

Best regards,

--
Solène SOUQUET
Marketing Manager

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded