Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

WW: Colo Vending Machine

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lists at quux

Feb 17, 2012, 11:24 AM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

Sven Olaf Kamphuis <sven [at] cb3rob> writes:

> 3.5" HD floppies (yes, they're still around ;)

Really? I thought Deutsche Bahn was last company using
them: "Unfortunately we can't display reservation information."

Okay, knowing Deutsche Bahn the disks might not be 3,5". ;-)

Jens
| Foelderichstr. 40 | 13595 Berlin, Germany | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink [at] guug | ------------------- |

garrett at skjelstad

Feb 17, 2012, 11:58 AM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

You must have a pre-dotcom bubble datacenter...

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2012, at 10:52, Leigh Porter <leigh.porter [at] ukbroadband> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2012, at 18:37, "Jay Ashworth" <jra [at] baylink> wrote:
>
>> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
>> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
>> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>
> Pizza, condoms and headache tablets.
>
> --
> Leigh

leigh.porter at ukbroadband

Feb 17, 2012, 12:05 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

Did anybody say beer yet?

--
Leigh

On 17 Feb 2012, at 18:37, "Jay Ashworth" <jra [at] baylink> wrote:

> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
> Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
> St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

alter3d at alter3d

Feb 17, 2012, 12:06 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On 12-02-17 03:05 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:
> Did anybody say beer yet?

Don't forget the 30lb sledgehammer for those times when, ah, "percussive
maintenance" is the only possible solution. ;)

(Might be a bit hard to fit into a vending machine though... maybe the
colo staff could just rent one out...)

- Pete

bruns at 2mbit

Feb 17, 2012, 12:12 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On 2/17/12 11:55 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> USB->Serial adapters. Preferably selected so they are driverless on
> both OSX and Windows.:)

If you preinstall the Prolific PL-2303 (either commercial or open source
driver version, at least on Mac) or MOSChip, you'll have drivers for 99%
of the USB to serial adapters out there.

I still long for the day when someone makes a true 16550 based USB to
serial adapter... Some of the stuff I need to reprogram at the shop at
times does not like the cheapie chips that are most common - I've
bricked an APC network manager card at least once for that specific
reason...

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org / http://www.ahbl.org

meirea at charterschoolit

Feb 17, 2012, 12:13 PM

RE: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

Don't forget the lube.

Mario Eirea
On 17 Feb 2012, at 18:37, "Jay Ashworth" <jra [at] baylink> wrote:

> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
> let vendor specificity scare you off.

Pizza, condoms and headache tablets.

--
Leigh

jeff-kell at utc

Feb 17, 2012, 12:13 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

Direct phone number of a 2nd level TAC that speaks English and doesn't
read from a transcript :)

Lots of good mentions, I might add two...

(1) Snap-on multitool plier (or linesman equivalent), combination
plier/diags/various screwdrivers, etc.
(2) Universal power brick

On the last one above, I arrived at GFIRST last year, opened up laptop
to check for WiFi, and Ooops! no power brick. After debating Dell and
FedEx and other disgusting options, there was a BestBuy vending machine
at the Gaylord that included... you guessed it...

So in addition to the parts/supplies you may need onsite, there's always
the issue of what you forgot to stuff in the jump bag before you hit the
road...

Jeff

leigh.porter at ukbroadband

Feb 17, 2012, 12:24 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On 17 Feb 2012, at 20:10, "Peter Kristolaitis" <alter3d [at] alter3d> wrote:

> On 12-02-17 03:05 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:
>> Did anybody say beer yet?
>>

> Don't forget the 30lb sledgehammer for those times when, ah, "percussive maintenance" is the only possible solution. ;)
>
> (Might be a bit hard to fit into a vending machine though... maybe the colo staff could just rent one out...)
>
> - Pete

Ahh yes, I recently used a universal adjuster to assist with some installation issues..

Another handy item would be little packets of pixie dust for when things just don't work,,

--
Leigh

bonomi at mail

Feb 17, 2012, 12:45 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

Leigh Porter <leigh.porter [at] ukbroadband> wrote;
> On 17 Feb 2012, at 20:10, "Peter Kristolaitis" <alter3d [at] alter3d> wrote:
> > On 12-02-17 03:05 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:
> >> Did anybody say beer yet?

I think it's safe to say that the Datacenter operators generally want customer
visits to be as un-beer-able as they can make it.

> > Don't forget the 30lb sledgehammer for those times when, ah, "percussive
> > maintenance" is the only possible solution. ;)
> >
> > (Might be a bit hard to fit into a vending machine though... maybe the
> > colo staff could just rent one out...)
> >
> > - Pete
> >

> Ahh yes, I recently used a universal adjuster to assist with some installation issues..
>
> Another handy item would be little packets of pixie dust for when things just
> don't work,,

Speaking of _that_, add to the list the traditional item(s)z for debugging SCSI
problems.

eric at usf

Feb 17, 2012, 1:06 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On 2/17/2012 3:06 PM, Peter Kristolaitis wrote:
> Don't forget the 30lb sledgehammer for those times when, ah,
> "percussive maintenance" is the only possible solution. ;)

My previous job had me managing our presence in a data center. For
several months, in the row of racks across the hot aisle from ours,
there was another customer of the data center who had apparently decided
to only plug in one of the two power supplies for some drive array they
had ... which resulted in a nice, steady beep. While not excessively
loud, you could still make it out from several rows away. For those
months, within five minutes of being in the data center, I wanted to
perform percussive maintenance ... first on that equipment, then on the
idiot who let it go for more than day beeping like that.

--
Eric Stewart - Network Administrator - eric [at] usf
University of South Florida, Information Technology

rodrick.brown at gmail

Feb 17, 2012, 2:22 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On Feb 17, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra [at] baylink> wrote:

> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
> let vendor specificity scare you off.

atom based 10" laptop with serial interface and cable. $15 day charge would rock!

4 Port 10/100/1000 hub. $20?

USB sticks 2/4/8GB

Cage nuts various common sizes.

Vending machine should double as wireless AP with open Internet access $5 should give you AP code and min 8 hour access time.

Sent from my iPhone.

> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
> Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
> St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

jason at thebaughers

Feb 17, 2012, 2:55 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

Do you guys ride your bike to the colo and show up in shorts and a
t-shirt? Who goes to the colo without things like their laptop?

On 2/17/2012 4:22 PM, Rodrick Brown wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Jay Ashworth<jra [at] baylink> wrote:
>
>> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
>> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
>> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>>
> atom based 10" laptop with serial interface and cable. $15 day charge would rock!
>
> 4 Port 10/100/1000 hub. $20?
>
> USB sticks 2/4/8GB
>
> Cage nuts various common sizes.
>
> Vending machine should double as wireless AP with open Internet access $5 should give you AP code and min 8 hour access time.
>
> Sent from my iPhone.
>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>> --
>> Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
>> Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
>> Ashworth& Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
>> St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

rodrick.brown at gmail

Feb 17, 2012, 3:02 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:55 PM, Jason Baugher <jason [at] thebaughers> wrote:

> Do you guys ride your bike to the colo and show up in shorts and a t-shirt? Who goes to the colo without things like their laptop?

Think of it as one less thing to carry to carry to the colo :-)

> On 2/17/2012 4:22 PM, Rodrick Brown wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Jay Ashworth<jra [at] baylink> wrote:
>>
>>> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
>>> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
>>> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>>>
>> atom based 10" laptop with serial interface and cable. $15 day charge would rock!
>>
>> 4 Port 10/100/1000 hub. $20?
>>
>> USB sticks 2/4/8GB
>>
>> Cage nuts various common sizes.
>>
>> Vending machine should double as wireless AP with open Internet access $5 should give you AP code and min 8 hour access time.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone.
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -- jra
>>> --
>>> Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
>>> Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
>>> Ashworth& Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
>>> St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

nanog at maunier

Feb 17, 2012, 3:15 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

2012/2/17 Jay Ashworth <jra [at] baylink>

> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

1 - As previously said : LC/SC couplers + patchcords
2 - fibre/connectors cleaning kit
3 - SC/LC optical attenuators
4 - Laser pen that can send visible red beam in blink/continuous mode
5 - as said previously too : USB-RS232 adaptator
6 - plastic cable clamps (don't know the exact english term for that but I
mean this -->
http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produit-2/9/3/8/serre-cables-261839.jpg)
7 - compressed air can to clean dust
8 - CAT5 tester

A good this to be able to borrow from the noc (because a bit problematic to
put then in a vending machine) :

- an Optical Power Meter
- a live fiber detection device (to be able to detect presence of light and
the direction of the light in a fibre without disconnecting it) we use
these at work and they're awesome :
http://www.exfo.com/en/Products/Field-Network-Testing/Optical/Signal-Detection/LFD-300BTG-300B-FiberFinder/
- a plunger (not sure about the english translation for this one too :-) )

--
Pierre-Yves Maunier

aledm at qix

Feb 17, 2012, 3:18 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On 17 February 2012 18:43, Eric Tykwinski <eric-list [at] truenet> wrote:

> +1 for GBICs, SFPs

You'll need to be carrying a lot of loose change then :-)

My ideal vending machine would dispense Cat5e by the foot, the more you
pull the more you pay, RJ45 plugs in pairs, and a crimp tool on a long
chain (like the way you buy chain in a hardware store)

Aled

drais at icantclick

Feb 17, 2012, 3:23 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Pierre-Yves Maunier wrote:

> 6 - plastic cable clamps (don't know the exact english term for that but I
> mean this -->
> http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produit-2/9/3/8/serre-cables-261839.jpg)

also known as "zip tie" or "plastic cable tie" more generically

--
david raistrick http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais [at] icantclick http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

aledm at qix

Feb 17, 2012, 3:32 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On 17 February 2012 23:23, david raistrick <drais [at] icantclick> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Pierre-Yves Maunier wrote:
>
> 6 - plastic cable clamps (don't know the exact english term for that but I
>> mean this -->
>> http://www.hellopro.fr/images/**produit-2/9/3/8/serre-cables-**261839.jpg<http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produit-2/9/3/8/serre-cables-261839.jpg>
>> )
>>

> also known as "zip tie" or "plastic cable tie" more generically

Though wax string is nicer.

http://www.repsole.com/ProductGroup.asp?PGID=254

Aled

gbakos at alpinista

Feb 17, 2012, 3:35 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

Key features required:

Running an OS that can be patched/updated by someone other than the
machine vendor

Deployment in a screened subnet, not trusted by the rest of the
administrative net

(^^I've run into NT4.0 on a vending machine in a physical DMZ!)

RFC 2324 implementation

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:35:15 -0500 (EST)
Jay Ashworth <jra [at] baylink> wrote:

> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
> Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
> St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

--

jeff-kell at utc

Feb 17, 2012, 3:43 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

On 2/17/2012 6:32 PM, Aled Morris wrote:
> Though wax string is nicer.
> http://www.repsole.com/ProductGroup.asp?PGID=254

Or in less static environments, velcro ties, e.g.,
http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/velcro.php

Jeff

randy at psg

Feb 17, 2012, 4:07 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

> Do you guys ride your bike to the colo and show up in shorts and a
> t-shirt? Who goes to the colo without things like their laptop?

fools who are willing to type passphrases on others' laptops?

randy

jra at baylink

Feb 17, 2012, 4:09 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

> On 17 February 2012 18:43, Eric Tykwinski <eric-list [at] truenet>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 for GBICs, SFPs

> You'll need to be carrying a lot of loose change then :-)

In fact, vending machines with builtin card readers and radio credit card
validation are stock items these days.

> My ideal vending machine would dispense Cat5e by the foot, the more you
> pull the more you pay, RJ45 plugs in pairs, and a crimp tool on a long
> chain (like the way you buy chain in a hardware store)

"in pairs" is nice; chained crimper -- or more likely "we'll authorize your
card for $60; if you give us back the crimper, we'll only settle for $5".

Not sure how much trouble "cable by the foot" would be, but I like it.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

jra at baylink

Feb 17, 2012, 4:11 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

> Running an OS that can be patched/updated by someone other than the
> machine vendor

I assume you mean the machine proper. Hopefully that will be a stock unit;
I don't really want to get into building vending machines. :-)

> Deployment in a screened subnet, not trusted by the rest of the
> administrative net

Direct CDPD (or whatever we're calling that these days.

> RFC 2324 implementation

Definitely.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra [at] baylink
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

sven at cb3rob

Feb 17, 2012, 4:17 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

> I still long for the day when someone makes a true 16550 based USB to serial
> adapter... Some of the stuff I need to reprogram at the shop at times does
> not like the cheapie chips that are most common - I've bricked an APC
> network manager card at least once for that specific reason...

says more about the apc network manager card...

if it can't handle rs232 properly... well...
(or, from what i understand from this, doesn't have checksums on its
firmware files or doesn't check them ;)

sven at cb3rob

Feb 17, 2012, 4:29 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

> 7 - compressed air can to clean dust

dust?!?!? sounds like time to find a whole new colo and move
everything out of there haha.

i've -never- encountered one with dust in it.

that stuff usually gets sucked out before it gets the idea to land on
anything should it even get in in the first place

sven at cb3rob

Feb 17, 2012, 4:31 PM

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [In reply to]

> My ideal vending machine would dispense Cat5e by the foot, the more you
> pull the more you pay, RJ45 plugs in pairs, and a crimp tool on a long
> chain (like the way you buy chain in a hardware store)
>
> Aled

except for that -usually- when you -need- the crimp tool, you only know at
which position to put the connectors after you have laid it in place, and
then need the crimptool -there-, not at the vending machine.

(usually between racks, for everything else, there is pre-fab patchcables)