Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

Middlebox Report and Thank You!

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

justine at cs

Feb 9, 2012, 5:01 PM

Middlebox Report and Thank You!

Hello NANOG!

I emailed you a few months ago asking for help understanding typical
middlebox deployments in enterprise networks. 57 of you responded - thank
you so much!

Several of you asked if I'd share the data post-study; I've put together a
brief report on our findings here:
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2012/EECS-2012-24.pdf
If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, please don't hesitate to
contact me.

Thanks again for your help and support for our research!

Best,
Justine

chesteve at gmail

Feb 9, 2012, 5:20 PM

Re: Middlebox Report and Thank You! [In reply to]

Thank you Justine!

your research recalled me to a recent middlebox-related publication:

"An Untold Story of Middleboxes in Cellular Networks"
by Zhaoguang Wang, Zhiyun Qian, Qiang Xu, Zhuoqing Morley Mao, and
Ming Zhang, Proceedings of SIGCOMM 2011.
(http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2011/papers/sigcomm/p374.pdf)

In the news:
MIT Technology Review
http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/38435/?a=f
Slashdot
http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/08/26/159225/Mobile-Carriers-Impose-Handicaps-On-Smartphones
cnet news
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20107040-266/carriers-may-be-handicapping-cell-phone-networks/

Keep on your good work!

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian Esteve Rothenberg, Ph.D.
Converged Networks Division (DRC)

--
Christian

tknchris at gmail

Feb 9, 2012, 7:00 PM

Re: Middlebox Report and Thank You! [In reply to]

Look how much time people waste with those all in one devices :) As soon as
I get the feeling something is very appliancey I run the other direction