Mailing List Archive: NANOG: users

Config Backup / Inventory

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

joshua.eyres at gmail

Config Backup / Inventory

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of advice around configuration backup / inventory. We
currently have a large multi-vendor network which is currently managed
through two separate tools (rancid - http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid and ns4
- http://www.noodles.org.uk/ns4.html). Both tools do the job very well, but
management have asked that we look for commercial alternatives that have a
proper support organisation looking after them.

IP Service Activator has been mentioned as something which can fit this
role, but I haven't had any experience and I haven't heard a lot of good
things about it. We are looking for a tool which is flexible that allows
configuration backup to textual form for easy restoration as well as the
ability to deploy scripted changes to the network quickly.

Do people generally use free tools for network management or are there
viable commercial alternatives?

Thanks,
Josh

nderitualex at gmail

Re: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

Kiwi CatTools does a good job but I don't know how diverse you
multi-vendor environment is. Check here
<http://www.kiwisyslog.com/wrapper/devices-supported/> for supported
devices. Orion NCM is also another product you may want to look at
<http://www.solarwinds.com/>.

[...]

believed to be clean.

warren at kumari

Re: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

On Apr 24, 2009, at 4:25 AM, Joshua Eyres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a bit of advice around configuration backup /
> inventory. We
> currently have a large multi-vendor network which is currently managed
> through two separate tools (rancid - http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid
> and ns4
> - http://www.noodles.org.uk/ns4.html). Both tools do the job very
> well, but
> management have asked that we look for commercial alternatives that
> have a
> proper support organisation looking after them.

Yay for management...

> IP Service Activator has been mentioned as something which can fit
> this
> role, but I haven't had any experience and I haven't heard a lot of
> good
> things about it. We are looking for a tool which is flexible that
> allows
> configuration backup to textual form for easy restoration as well as
> the
> ability to deploy scripted changes to the network quickly.
>
> Do people generally use free tools for network management or are there
> viable commercial alternatives?

A large large number of people use things like RANCID and / or some
homegrown things... The people who are using commercial products (for
the above role) are usually doing so because they were saddled with
these requirements by management and / or are a windows shop..

As you say, RANCID is working well, maybe if you explain the costs
involved in installing / migrating to and supporting a commercial
product your management will see things saner?

> Thanks,
> Josh
Attachments: smime.p7s (2.12 KB)

nanog-post at rsuc

Re: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:25:05AM +0100, Joshua Eyres wrote:
[snip]
> I am looking for a bit of advice around configuration backup / inventory. We
> currently have a large multi-vendor network which is currently managed
> through two separate tools (rancid - http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid and ns4
> - http://www.noodles.org.uk/ns4.html). Both tools do the job very well, but
> management have asked that we look for commercial alternatives that have a
> proper support organisation looking after them.

Since rtrmon waned and rancid waxed (97ish?), I've been a proponent and
seen no support issues. Lots of commercial offerings (mostly vendor-
specific) have changed or were from companies which folded between then
and now. A non-trivial track record speaks volumes.

[snip]
> things about it. We are looking for a tool which is flexible that allows
> configuration backup to textual form for easy restoration as well as the
> ability to deploy scripted changes to the network quickly.

Sounds like rancid & par to me. :-)

Cheers,

Joe

--
RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE

jon at defenderhosting

Re: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

Check out HyperConf

http://www.winagents.com/en/products/hyperconf/

It does multi-vendor device backups as well as a scripting function to blow out mass changes to devices. They are also pretty easy to work with to enable new devices if you want them. The licensing is somewhat reasonable.

Jon Wolberg
Operations Manager
PowerVPS / Defender Hosting
Defender Technologies Group, LLC.

Re: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

>> Sounds like rancid & par to me. :-)

Par?

Josh.Stephens at solarwinds

RE: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

Joe,
If you're looking for a commercial solution, you might try out our Orion
NCM product.

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/orion/configuration_manager/

Ping me if you want any additional info.

Josh

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:25:05AM +0100, Joshua Eyres wrote:
[snip]
> I am looking for a bit of advice around configuration backup /
inventory. We
> currently have a large multi-vendor network which is currently managed
> through two separate tools (rancid - http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid
and ns4
> - http://www.noodles.org.uk/ns4.html). Both tools do the job very
well, but
> management have asked that we look for commercial alternatives that
have a
> proper support organisation looking after them.

Since rtrmon waned and rancid waxed (97ish?), I've been a proponent and
seen no support issues. Lots of commercial offerings (mostly vendor-
specific) have changed or were from companies which folded between then
and now. A non-trivial track record speaks volumes.

[snip]
> things about it. We are looking for a tool which is flexible that
allows
> configuration backup to textual form for easy restoration as well as
the
> ability to deploy scripted changes to the network quickly.

Sounds like rancid & par to me. :-)

Cheers,

Joe

--
RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE

Sam.Crooks at experian

RE: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

Checkout Alterpoint Network Authority Inventory.

The Inventory tool is free asn was developed as the Ziptie opensource
project. Inventory is the basis for how Alterpoint does the paid
offerings for configurtion audit and compliance and the higher level
analytics based on the configuration and inventory repository that NA
Inventory provides.

The Inventory component is free but be prepared for sticker shock for
the whole Alterpoint suite of tools.

There is also ManageEngine DeviceExpert (not free, but inexpensive) and
Solarwinds Orion NCM (fromerly Cirrus configuration management, also
inexpensive)

Sam Crooks
GTS Network Architecture

701 Experian Pkwy
B5302
Allen, TX 75013
972-390-3186
sam.crooks [at] experian

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:25:05AM +0100, Joshua Eyres wrote:
[snip]
> I am looking for a bit of advice around configuration backup /
> inventory. We currently have a large multi-vendor network which is
> currently managed through two separate tools (rancid -
> http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid and ns4
> - http://www.noodles.org.uk/ns4.html). Both tools do the job very
> well, but management have asked that we look for commercial
> alternatives that have a proper support organisation looking after
them.

Since rtrmon waned and rancid waxed (97ish?), I've been a proponent and
seen no support issues. Lots of commercial offerings (mostly vendor-
specific) have changed or were from companies which folded between then
and now. A non-trivial track record speaks volumes.

[snip]
> things about it. We are looking for a tool which is flexible that
> allows configuration backup to textual form for easy restoration as
> well as the ability to deploy scripted changes to the network quickly.

Sounds like rancid & par to me. :-)

Cheers,

Joe

--
RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE

tims at donet

RE: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

Kiwi CatTools works well for us-and it's inexpensive. I've been very happy with it.

--
Tim

[...]

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.

pstewart at nexicomgroup

RE: Config Backup / Inventory [In reply to]

We use Orion NCM here from Solarwinds - not only does it do backups etc.
but also allows us to script changes, updates and IOS upgrades as well
(after extensive testing of course). For example, we still have 50-60
Cisco 806 routers deployed at customer sites - takes about 20 minutes to
do an IOS upgrade on ALL of them at once....

Paul

[...]

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and contains confidential and/or privileged material. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and then destroy this transmission, including all attachments, without copying, distributing or disclosing same. Thank you."

NANOG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded