Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Module Support?

tyrstag at earthlink

Jun 24, 2004, 7:15 PM

Module Support?

Hi Again,

I'm trying to install LIRC support for my DishNetwork box ala
http://www.mmdsi.com/mythtv/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

and I'm getting this message:
"
The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
"

I followed Jarod's HOW-To to the letter, I thought loadable modules WERE
enabled in that?
So, if I need to rebuild the Kernel, is it safe to do so without screwing
everything up?

What should I enable/disable?

--Pete

jack at colades

Jun 24, 2004, 7:41 PM

Re: Module Support? [In reply to]

If you never recompiled kernel look for kernel howto.
To recompile kernel you will need source of your kernel then you will need
to got source directory for example /usr/src/linux and type make menuconfig
then you will see options for drivers file systems. on top in one of the
menus you will see Loadable module support ---> make sure that you check
[*] Enable loadable module support
> I'm trying to install LIRC support for my DishNetwork box ala
> http://www.mmdsi.com/mythtv/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html
>

> and I'm getting this message:
> "
> The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
> "
>
> I followed Jarod's HOW-To to the letter, I thought loadable modules WERE
> enabled in that?
> So, if I need to rebuild the Kernel, is it safe to do so without screwing
> everything up?
>
> What should I enable/disable?
>

> --Pete

tyrstag at earthlink