Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Avermedia DVB-T 771 working

clyde at htsoft

Jun 11, 2004, 2:28 PM

Avermedia DVB-T 771 working

In case anyone else has been attracted by the new Avermedia DVB-T 771
terrestrial digital TV card, I'm delighted to say I now have it working
under Myth. Largely thanks to Wolfram Joost, there is a working driver
for it - should be in the LinuxTV CVS tree soon, but right now you
can get it from http://www.frokaschwei.net/avtv771/avermedia.html -
you'll also need a recent CVS version of the DVB tree.

The particularly attractive features of the DVB-T 771 are price (around
1/3rd what I paid just a few months ago for a Nebula DigiTV card), the
fact that it is a low-profile PCI card (albeit supplied without a low-profile
bracket, but a little metalwork fixes that) and has a respectable
bundled remote control. The remote interface has not yet been reverse-
engineered, but the supplied IR receiver can be turned into an IRMAN type
serial receiver quite readily.

It also has an S-Video/Composite analog input, which I haven't yet
tested, but should work fine since it's using a bog-standard BT878.

Clyde

--
Clyde Stubbs | HI-TECH Software
Email: clyde [at] htsoft | Phone Fax

bill at bcd

Jun 11, 2004, 6:19 PM

Re: Avermedia DVB-T 771 working [In reply to]

Clyde Stubbs wrote:

>In case anyone else has been attracted by the new Avermedia DVB-T 771
>terrestrial digital TV card, I'm delighted to say I now have it working
>under Myth. Largely thanks to Wolfram Joost, there is a working driver
>for it - should be in the LinuxTV CVS tree soon, but right now you
>can get it from http://www.frokaschwei.net/avtv771/avermedia.html -
>you'll also need a recent CVS version of the DVB tree.
>
>The particularly attractive features of the DVB-T 771 are price (around
>1/3rd what I paid just a few months ago for a Nebula DigiTV card), the
>fact that it is a low-profile PCI card (albeit supplied without a low-profile
>bracket, but a little metalwork fixes that) and has a respectable
>bundled remote control. The remote interface has not yet been reverse-
>engineered, but the supplied IR receiver can be turned into an IRMAN type
>serial receiver quite readily.
>
>It also has an S-Video/Composite analog input, which I haven't yet
>tested, but should work fine since it's using a bog-standard BT878.
>
>Clyde

In Australia (and elsewhere ?) this card is known as a AVerTV DVB-T
card. I have had Myth running on it for about three months. After a
lot of mucking about with the DVB drivers (moving from the buggy Linux
TV dvb to DVB-Kernel drivers fixed a lot of instability issues - I might
try the Linux TV drivers again) I eventually got it stable enough to act
as the primary card for my recordings.

Still working on the analogue ins - can get signal in XAWTV, but its
like its in the wrong mode as I get monochrome offset interlacing. Very
frustrating.

I would like to get the on-board IR reception running as the remote is
quite nice.

bill.

hamish at cloud

Jun 11, 2004, 10:14 PM

Re: Avermedia DVB-T 771 working [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:19:06AM +1000, Bill Coghill wrote:
> Clyde Stubbs wrote:
> >In case anyone else has been attracted by the new Avermedia DVB-T 771
> >terrestrial digital TV card, I'm delighted to say I now have it working
> >under Myth. Largely thanks to Wolfram Joost, there is a working driver
> >for it - should be in the LinuxTV CVS tree soon, but right now you
> >can get it from http://www.frokaschwei.net/avtv771/avermedia.html -
> >you'll also need a recent CVS version of the DVB tree.
[..]
> In Australia (and elsewhere ?) this card is known as a AVerTV DVB-T
> card. I have had Myth running on it for about three months. After a
> lot of mucking about with the DVB drivers (moving from the buggy Linux
> TV dvb to DVB-Kernel drivers fixed a lot of instability issues - I might
> try the Linux TV drivers again) I eventually got it stable enough to act
> as the primary card for my recordings.

The 771 appears to be a newer card with a different front-end. It may be
for sale in Australia now, but when I bought an Aver DVB-T card in
February in Melbourne it was the original model (sp887x frontend).

dvb-kernel is the current driver tree; you wouldn't want to switch back
to the older drivers as they're no longer developed.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish [at] debian> <hamish [at] cloud>

bill at bcd

Jun 12, 2004, 12:14 AM

Re: Avermedia DVB-T 771 working [In reply to]

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>The 771 appears to be a newer card with a different front-end. It may be
>for sale in Australia now, but when I bought an Aver DVB-T card in
>February in Melbourne it was the original model (sp887x frontend).
>
>dvb-kernel is the current driver tree; you wouldn't want to switch back
>to the older drivers as they're no longer developed.
>
>Hamish

Hi Hamish,

Ah that makes more sense now - I remember someone on one of the DVB
lists mentioning that the DVB-T was going to be have a different front
end introduced at some time in the future.

I still have some problems with the dvb-kernel drivers, but the newer
CVS myth versions seem to have improved DVB support a lot - ie Tuning to
a bad channel or excessively bad signal will at least not Seg Fault as
it used to.

Do you ever have issues with Channel 7 ? - specifically when going form
programmes to ads - they seem to change the aspect ratio which causes a
freeze for a second, but then comes back good. Also SBS seems a lot
more prone to interference - although it might be due to SBS being the
only UHF dvb channel.

bill.

hamish at cloud

Jun 13, 2004, 6:43 PM

Re: Avermedia DVB-T 771 working [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 05:14:34PM +1000, Bill Coghill wrote:
> Do you ever have issues with Channel 7 ? - specifically when going form
> programmes to ads - they seem to change the aspect ratio which causes a
> freeze for a second, but then comes back good. Also SBS seems a lot
> more prone to interference - although it might be due to SBS being the
> only UHF dvb channel.

Hi Bill,

I haven't noticed anything like that with 7 here (Melbourne).
SBS is the worst here too, which I assume is because it's highest in
frequency (over double the next highest, the ABC). Even though my BER is
very low on the VHF channels (usually around 0x20) I still get the
occasional glitches with associated pops and clicks.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish [at] debian> <hamish [at] cloud>

iain_pub at swiftdsl

Jun 14, 2004, 3:47 AM

Re: Avermedia DVB-T 771 working [In reply to]

I've got photos of the differences between the old (crappy) A761
AverMedia card and the new (good) A771 one on my site.
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~iain/htpc.php

(it's a blog, so scroll down a bit)

Cheers,

Iain

hamish at cloud

Jun 14, 2004, 7:02 AM

Re: Avermedia DVB-T 771 working [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:47:25PM +1000, Iain Waugh wrote:
> I've got photos of the differences between the old (crappy) A761
> AverMedia card and the new (good) A771 one on my site.
> http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~iain/htpc.php

The old card is working fine for me... It's my primary card here.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish [at] debian> <hamish [at] cloud>