Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Introducing... The Official MythTV Forums!

skd5aner at gmail

Feb 12, 2014, 7:11 PM

Introducing... The Official MythTV Forums!

Friends of an ever-growing MythTV community, I'm honored to announce that
the MythTV project is now opening the official MythTV Forums!

Over nearly 11 years since the beginning of this project, there have been
many channels of collaboration offered to its users and developers based on
the best way to serve the community's needs at that moment in time -
mailings lists, trac, wiki, IRC, etc. Over that time, one question that has
repeatedly come up again and again - "Why are there no forums?" Well, now
those people who prefer to interact in a web forum will be able to do so -
including new users who may be more comfortable and familiar interacting
with a community in that way.

We welcome you to come and check it out and we'd certainly love to see you
all there!

https://forum.mythtv.org

*** OK, some important items I want to mention as well, as I'm sure they
will come up:
- The mailing lists are not going anywhere. They will stay around as-is and
users are encouraged to use whichever channel is more comfortable to them.
- The developers are currently looking at investigating a "bridge" mod for
the forum that could either allow people to use the forum as a mailing
list, integrate the mailing list in to the forum, or both - this is TBD and
no direction has been decided yet. In the interim, although not optimal,
you can go to a particular sub-forum and select the "subscribe to forum"
link, which will notify you via email of any new posts to that particular
sub-forum. You can also subscribe to posts. RSS/Atom mods could also be
explored if enough people would find that useful.
- The forums currently support several major third-party authentication
providers. Facebook Connect is currently disabled, but may be added in the
future as well. Of course, you are also more than welcome to create an
account directly on the site as well.
- Times change, and that's OK - no need to fear! People interact
differently than they did 5/10/20/30 years ago. Forums have become a norm
for a majority of large FOSS projects and beyond, and have helped encourage
greater community interaction and foster growth. We appreciate that some
people find NNTP, usenet, mailing lists, RSS/ATOM, carrier pigeon, morse
code, cave paitings, etc. most useful for their particular situation, but
please respect the fact that others may have the opposite opinion. This is
a diverse world - and there is no "right" answer. Please show respect for
the desire to have an inclusive community, not an exclusive one.
- The forums are in their infancy, so please bare with the devs as they may
tweak things, install new features, create new sub-forumes, or sort through
bugs. Everyone is encouraged to share any errors or bugs they may find in
this thread: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

Enjoy!
Matt

nick.rout at gmail

Feb 13, 2014, 12:07 AM

Re: Introducing... The Official MythTV Forums! [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Matt S. <skd5aner [at] gmail> wrote:
> Friends of an ever-growing MythTV community, I'm honored to announce that
> the MythTV project is now opening the official MythTV Forums!
>
> Over nearly 11 years since the beginning of this project, there have been
> many channels of collaboration offered to its users and developers based on
> the best way to serve the community's needs at that moment in time -
> mailings lists, trac, wiki, IRC, etc. Over that time, one question that has
> repeatedly come up again and again - "Why are there no forums?" Well, now
> those people who prefer to interact in a web forum will be able to do so -
> including new users who may be more comfortable and familiar interacting
> with a community in that way.
>
> We welcome you to come and check it out and we'd certainly love to see you
> all there!
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org
>

> *** OK, some important items I want to mention as well, as I'm sure they
> will come up:
> - The mailing lists are not going anywhere. They will stay around as-is and
> users are encouraged to use whichever channel is more comfortable to them.
> - The developers are currently looking at investigating a "bridge" mod for
> the forum that could either allow people to use the forum as a mailing list,
> integrate the mailing list in to the forum, or both - this is TBD and no
> direction has been decided yet. In the interim, although not optimal, you
> can go to a particular sub-forum and select the "subscribe to forum" link,
> which will notify you via email of any new posts to that particular
> sub-forum. You can also subscribe to posts. RSS/Atom mods could also be
> explored if enough people would find that useful.
> - The forums currently support several major third-party authentication
> providers. Facebook Connect is currently disabled, but may be added in the
> future as well. Of course, you are also more than welcome to create an
> account directly on the site as well.
> - Times change, and that's OK - no need to fear! People interact
> differently than they did 5/10/20/30 years ago. Forums have become a norm
> for a majority of large FOSS projects and beyond, and have helped encourage
> greater community interaction and foster growth. We appreciate that some
> people find NNTP, usenet, mailing lists, RSS/ATOM, carrier pigeon, morse
> code, cave paitings, etc. most useful for their particular situation, but
> please respect the fact that others may have the opposite opinion. This is
> a diverse world - and there is no "right" answer. Please show respect for
> the desire to have an inclusive community, not an exclusive one.
> - The forums are in their infancy, so please bare with the devs as they may
> tweak things, install new features, create new sub-forumes, or sort through
> bugs. Everyone is encouraged to share any errors or bugs they may find in
> this thread: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7

Hey I used to detest forums, but have grown to quite like them
following considerable use of xbmc forums.

One thing you might like to look at is tapatalk (an android forum app)
support. I use tapatalk a lot.

If this is already dealt with, I apologise for bringing it up, if it
isn't, I suggest taking a look :)

Nick.

nick.rout at gmail

Feb 13, 2014, 12:19 AM

Re: Introducing... The Official MythTV Forums! [In reply to]

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> [...]
>> code, cave paitings, etc. most useful for their particular situation, but
>> please respect the fact that others may have the opposite opinion. This is
>> a diverse world - and there is no "right" answer. Please show respect for
>> the desire to have an inclusive community, not an exclusive one.
>> - The forums are in their infancy, so please bare with the devs as they may
>> tweak things, install new features, create new sub-forumes, or sort through
>> bugs. Everyone is encouraged to share any errors or bugs they may find in
>> this thread: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7
>

> Hey I used to detest forums, but have grown to quite like them
> following considerable use of xbmc forums.
>
> One thing you might like to look at is tapatalk (an android forum app)
> support. I use tapatalk a lot.
>
> If this is already dealt with, I apologise for bringing it up, if it

Gave you a plug at the mythtv pvr section of xbmc forums

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186117