Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

I'm slightly confused regarding how metadata is shown on frontends

anothersname at googlemail

Feb 16, 2013, 10:35 PM

I'm slightly confused regarding how metadata is shown on frontends

I've setup a system for a friend using 25 fixes from the Ubuntu repos.

The system has one backend that is both the TV feed and the video library.

It also has three other frontends and will have a couple of tablets as well.

On the backend there are three hard drives......

1 TB dedicated to TV Video Library
500GB dedicated to TV Video Library
500GB dedicated to Movie Video Library

The 500GB TV drive is actually a 2TB but is partitioned so that the
500GB partition is dedicated.

In mythtv-setup the Storage Directories are therefore configured.......

/mnt/sdb1/TV
/mnt/sdc1/TV2
/mnt/sdd1/Movies

I've populated the metadata (still need to sort out a few issues but 95% done)

On the backends frontend I can view the metadata properly and have it
configured so that I can see each directory...

Movies
TV
TV2

When I run the frontend --> Media Library --> Watch Videos I'm
presented with the above subdirectories, I can then get a list of
either Movies or TV shows and the metadata starts to appear (coverart,
fanart) as I scroll up and down the directory tree.....

Movies --> A Knights Tale
--> Airplane

As the highlighted cursor moves across from 'Movies' to a 'A Knights
Tale' the whole screen background changes to (I assume) fanart for
that Movie and the coverart box gets filled in appropriately.

If I then move down to 'Airplane' the images get correctly updated.

If I move back to the Movies option and move down to TV the images
again update correctly picking up from whichever TV show subdirectory
I move across to.

However on the remote frontends I cannot get the metadata to show
unless I choose to NOT browse filesystem.

i.e.

If I have 'Browse Filesystem (slow)' in effect disabled on the system
I see metadata, however all three directory structures are now
presented as one merged long list rather then seperate Movies, TV and
TV2 structures.

If I have 'Browse Filesystem' enabled I get the directory tree
structure I want as per the above on the backends frontend, however I
now get no metadata showing on the remote frontend.

I'm using Blue Abstract theme on all system frontends to remain consistent.

I've tinkered around with this for a couple of hours now and either
I'm missing something obvious or having 'Browse Filesystem' enabled on
a remote frontend is stopping metadata being transferred.

I'd really rather not set him up with one huge long list of TV shows
and Movies to scroll through every time he wants to watch something,
but frankly the whole point of the system is the metadata makes it so
visually appealing.

Ideas?

mythtv at hambone

Feb 17, 2013, 7:05 AM

Re: I'm slightly confused regarding how metadata is shown on frontends [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Another Sillyname <
anothersname [at] googlemail> wrote:

> [...]
> I see metadata, however all three directory structures are now
> presented as one merged long list rather then seperate Movies, TV and
> TV2 structures.
>
> If I have 'Browse Filesystem' enabled I get the directory tree
> structure I want as per the above on the backends frontend, however I
> now get no metadata showing on the remote frontend.
>
> I'm using Blue Abstract theme on all system frontends to remain consistent.
>
> I've tinkered around with this for a couple of hours now and either
> I'm missing something obvious or having 'Browse Filesystem' enabled on
> a remote frontend is stopping metadata being transferred.
>
> I'd really rather not set him up with one huge long list of TV shows
> and Movies to scroll through every time he wants to watch something,
> but frankly the whole point of the system is the metadata makes it so

I know the devs frown on using the Browse Filesystem method and they are
planning on removing it.

I have my data structured like this /storage/videos/TV,
/storage/videos/Movies, etc. They are all on a local drive on the
backend/frontend. I have my storage group set up as /storage/videos

What I see on the frontend (also Blue Abstract) in the List View is /Moviesand
/TV. I suggest you try to nest your data one directory at least one level
deeper (e.g. /mnt/sdb1/Video/TV, etc), set your storage groups accordingly (
/mnt/sdb1/Video, etc) , change to the regular viewing mode and see what
happens.

I believe you're seeing everything in the root directory because your
Videos are essentially in the root directory.

Wipe out your old library. This is a must. Either delete all your storage
groups and *Scan for Changes* from the frontend (the recommended way) or chmod
000 the /mnt/sdb1/Video, /mnt/sdc1/Video, etc directories, *Scan for Changes
* and chmod 755 the directory back to normal. Then rescan and see if that
works. :)

You might have to wait a little while for all the metadata to repopulate,
of course, so grab a coffee.

I'm not sure if that's going to fix your problems on your other frontends
but it should straighten out your directory structure.

I hope that helps. I've had my issues trying to get my Video Library
working.

Jerry

mythtv at hambone

Feb 17, 2013, 7:16 AM

Re: I'm slightly confused regarding how metadata is shown on frontends [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Jerry Chapman <syn4pse [at] gmail> wrote:

> Wipe out your old library. This is a must. Either delete all your
> storage groups and *Scan for Changes* from the frontend (the recommended
> way) or chmod 000 the /mnt/sdb1/Video, /mnt/sdc1/Video, etc directories, *Scan
> for Changes* and chmod 755 the directory back to normal. Then rescan
> and see if that works. :)

That should read, "Delete all of your *video* storage groups"!! :) Really,
that's the safer way.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Feb 20, 2013, 1:35 PM

Re: I'm slightly confused regarding how metadata is shown on frontends [In reply to]

On 02/17/2013 10:05 AM, hambone wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Another Sillyname wrote:
>
>> /mnt/sdb1/TV
>> /mnt/sdc1/TV2
>> /mnt/sdd1/Movies
>>
>> I've populated the metadata (still need to sort out a few issues but 95%
>> done)
>>
>> On the backends frontend I can view the metadata properly and have it
>> configured so that I can see each directory...
>>
>> Movies
>> TV
>> TV2
>>
>> When I run the frontend --> Media Library --> Watch Videos I'm
>> presented with the above subdirectories, I can then get a list of
>> either Movies or TV shows and the metadata starts to appear (coverart,
>> fanart) as I scroll up and down the directory tree.....
>>
>> Movies --> A Knights Tale
>> --> Airplane
>>
>> As the highlighted cursor moves across from 'Movies' to a 'A Knights
>> Tale' the whole screen background changes to (I assume) fanart for
>> that Movie and the coverart box gets filled in appropriately.
>>
>> If I then move down to 'Airplane' the images get correctly updated.
>>
>> If I move back to the Movies option and move down to TV the images
>> again update correctly picking up from whichever TV show subdirectory
>> I move across to.
>>
>> However on the remote frontends I cannot get the metadata to show
>> unless I choose to NOT browse filesystem.
>>
>> i.e.
>>
>> If I have 'Browse Filesystem (slow)' in effect disabled on the system
>> I see metadata, however all three directory structures are now
>> presented as one merged long list rather then seperate Movies, TV and
>> TV2 structures.
>>
>> If I have 'Browse Filesystem' enabled I get the directory tree
>> structure I want as per the above on the backends frontend, however I
>> now get no metadata showing on the remote frontend.
>> I've tinkered around with this for a couple of hours now and either
>> I'm missing something obvious or having 'Browse Filesystem' enabled on
>> a remote frontend is stopping metadata being transferred.

Yeah, pretty much. It's evil.

>> I'd really rather not set him up with one huge long list of TV shows
>> and Movies to scroll through every time he wants to watch something,
>> but frankly the whole point of the system is the metadata makes it so
>> visually appealing.
> I know the devs frown on using the Browse Filesystem method and they are
> planning on removing it.

You guys both seem to misunderstand what "Browse filesystem (slow)" is...

"Browse filesystem (slow)" is evil and no one should be using it--and
there's no good reason to use it. All that options does is ignore the
metadata (what the OP is trying to get) and, instead, look at every file
on the file system every single time. This means that when you start up
Video Library (and sometimes when already in Video Library), your system
will have every single backend read the contents of every single
directory (and its subdirectories and ...) and present whatever it
finds. It could cause your system to spin up multiple hard drives
multiple times in a Video Library session, and will often result in
many-seconds (or more) delays when trying to enter Video Library.

Both of you seem to want "Show Directory Structure", which is *not*
evil--and allows you to see how you've organized your videos.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758
(and if the UI/menu options are confusing or it doesn't seem to be
working as I described (or at least, tried to) see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519768#519768 ).

> I have my data structured like this /storage/videos/TV,
> /storage/videos/Movies, etc. They are all on a local drive on the
> backend/frontend. I have my storage group set up as /storage/videos
>
> What I see on the frontend (also Blue Abstract) in the List View is /Moviesand
> /TV. I suggest you try to nest your data one directory at least one level
> deeper (e.g. /mnt/sdb1/Video/TV, etc), set your storage groups accordingly (
> /mnt/sdb1/Video, etc) , change to the regular viewing mode and see what
> happens.
>
> I believe you're seeing everything in the root directory because your
> Videos are essentially in the root directory.

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is exactly what he needs to do. Video Library
shows the directories /within/ the Videos Storage Group "root"
directories, but combines the roots--that way, whether you have 1 or 10
million directories in the Videos Storage Group, you can get the same
view. In other words, if it doesn't combine the roots, every time you
added a new directory to the Videos Storage Group, you'd get another
break in your organization scheme--even if you just added the directory
to make more room for movies.

Mike