Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

HD-PVR or something else?

jfwd at phlobus

Sep 14, 2012, 7:31 AM

HD-PVR or something else?

Hi all, I am looking for a bit more advice regarding my new mythtv
setup since I moved.

I'm getting my subscription TV channels through AT&T U-verse. Since
this is IPTV, makes me think I should just be able to grab them "off
the wire" without needing an extra STB. Anyone know how this works or
had any success doing this? I looked on the wiki but didn't see much
about the u-verse.

Nonetheless, right now I've got an STB connected to my old PVR-150 via
S-video. It works but of course it's only SD. I do get some
so-called "HD" channels with the service. They are not as good as
what I get off the antenna, but when I plug the STB directly into my
LCD they are noticeably better than what you get via the SD channels
over S-video and the PVR-150, and of course they are also widescreen.

How is the current state of HD-PVR support? As I understand these
devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
module so they could automatically reboot them once a day. Is that
still the case? Are there any other options for analog HD capture
that are more stable?

What about digital capture, has anyone gotten this to work with U-verse?

Thanks for any info!

skreien at wcnet

Sep 14, 2012, 8:11 AM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

> How is the current state of HD-PVR support? As I understand these
> devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
> people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
> module so they could automatically reboot them once a day. Is that
> still the case? Are there any other options for analog HD capture
> that are more stable?

I've got an HD-PVR running with no problems. I had to downgrade the
firmware to 1.5.7 to get it to record without locking up, but it's got 3
weeks of uptime and 300+ shows recorded now with zero problems. The
firmware is a known problem. I also use firewire to change channels on the
STB. I don't use the blaster. I've read that firewire works much more
reliably than the blaster for changing channels.

mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1

Sep 14, 2012, 12:49 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On 9/14/12 10:31 AM, Joe Hickey wrote:
> How is the current state of HD-PVR support? As I understand these
> devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
> people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
> module so they could automatically reboot them once a day. Is that
> still the case? Are there any other options for analog HD capture
> that are more stable?
I had serious misgivings about jumping on board with the HD-PVR, but
I've been pleasantly surprised. After initial setup problems, I have had
no issues with it.

I am still using the older firmware that came on the device, since my
kernel is 2.6.x and lacks the newer module needed to communicate
correctly with the newest firmware.

I looked and looked for other options, but while there are other HD
capture cards and dongles, there is nothing else that also captures HD
audio and has Linux drivers. If you definitely need to use a STB for
tuning (i.e., you can't use something like the HDHomerun or Ceton), then
the PVR is really the only option without any audio degradation.

Also, it's worth noting that the "Gaming Edition" of the PVR is
sometimes available at a much cheaper price than the normal one, and it
is functionally identical.

--
Dan Wilga "Ook."

jfwd at phlobus

Sep 14, 2012, 2:07 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 [at] dwilga-linux1> wrote:
> On 9/14/12 10:31 AM, Joe Hickey wrote:
>>
>> How is the current state of HD-PVR support? As I understand these
>> devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
>> people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
>> module so they could automatically reboot them once a day. Is that
>> still the case? Are there any other options for analog HD capture
>> that are more stable?
>

> Also, it's worth noting that the "Gaming Edition" of the PVR is sometimes
> available at a much cheaper price than the normal one, and it is
> functionally identical.

Good to know, thanks for the tip.

I did a quick search on Newegg and I see both the gaming and
non-gaming HD-PVR, but it also looks like there is now an "HD-PVR 2"
and it's about $40 cheaper than the HD-PVR.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116084

Does anyone have any success/fail reports using this version? Looks
like it has HDMI inputs, and according to the pictures it has a
breakout cable with component video inputs. Nothing says anything
about linux support, but of course neither does the original HD PVR.

nick.rout at gmail

Sep 14, 2012, 2:35 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Joe Hickey <jfwd [at] phlobus> wrote:
> Hi all, I am looking for a bit more advice regarding my new mythtv
> setup since I moved.
>
> I'm getting my subscription TV channels through AT&T U-verse. Since
> this is IPTV, makes me think I should just be able to grab them "off
> the wire" without needing an extra STB. Anyone know how this works or
> had any success doing this? I looked on the wiki but didn't see much
> about the u-verse.

That will really depend I think on whether the streams are encrypted or not.

chusty at attglobal

Sep 14, 2012, 2:53 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 10:31 -0400, Joe Hickey wrote:
> How is the current state of HD-PVR support? As I understand these
> devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
> people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
> module so they could automatically reboot them once a day. Is that
> still the case? Are there any other options for analog HD capture
> that are more stable?

Joe,

I got my first hd-pvr as preorder it means since the beginning. It has
working great until last week when the power supply caput and I just got
a new one and its working perfect. So in summa I love it.

1. setup it's easy. I run opensuse 12.2, as soon as you insert the usb
the video device is created and you are ready to go.
From the whole setup the key and where you will spend more time is the
changer (aka the method to change channels in the STB cable or
satellite). There are 3 ways to do it

1.1 IR blaster. This is the most universal approach. I do not have
experience with it.

1.2 the serial connection if your STB has an input. Mine (comcast) has
and it is what I use. Because I do not have a serial port in my MB I am
using a usb serial port. Initially when I got the first hd-pvr I was
using a pci-serial port. It works perfect.
This is the place to the script that runs the serial connection changer
http://centerclick.org/programs/dct-channel/

1.3 firewire. My STB does not have it but I heard is also an excellent
way to do it.

2. The quality of the analog recording is excellent and the compression
also. It is hard to distinguished from the digital transmission.

3. the hd-pvr is on all the time, like the system. I do a reboot of the
system once a week with the reset button so the hd-pvr is not power
down.

4. The price of the hd-pvr has dropped. Initially (iirc) was about 250,
now I got it for $180 in Amazon.

5. This winter I will upgrade the STB for HD. A friend of mine is using
the hd-pvr for HD and he loves it. I do not have experience here.

6. I do not have any of the problems you state in your question. It is
not tricky to run it, I do not have to reboot it. It just works. Yes you
need windows to install new firmware. I did it with the initial hd-pvr,
the new one is up to date. You do not need a special windows system. I
use VM (vmware workstation) where I have windows. I have just tested the
new device in my system opensuse 12.2 vmware 9.0 windows 7 VM and it
works very well.

Get it, it will do the job very well.

-=terry=-

kpyle at austin

Sep 14, 2012, 4:07 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On 09/14/12 13:56, Scot Krienkamp wrote:

>> >How is the current state of HD-PVR support? As I understand these
>> >devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
>> >people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
>> >module so they could automatically reboot them once a day. Is that
>> >still the case? Are there any other options for analog HD capture
>> >that are more stable?
>> >
> I've got an HD-PVR running with no problems. I had to downgrade the
> firmware to 1.5.7 to get it to record without locking up, but it's got 3
> weeks of uptime and 300+ shows recorded now with zero problems. The
> firmware is a known problem. I also use firewire to change channels on the
> STB. I don't use the blaster. I've read that firewire works much more
> reliably than the blaster for changing channels.
I bought a HD-PVR recently. My summary is: It works great for minutes
at a time. I have yet to get one successful capture under Myth.

I've done a lot of testing (some of which was reported previously on
this list) using three different computers, have used both Windows and
Linux, have used multiple versions of the firmware, and bought an add-in
USB card to try something other than motherboard USB ports. The HD-PVR
only worked consistently under Windows. Under Linux, whether using Myth
or doing direct captures from the device, it is far from reliable using
all of the same cabling that works with Windows (which rules out
overheating, power supply, cabling, etc.)

I'm leaning toward the hypothesis that the USB implementation of the
HD-PVR has an issue, possibly some type of timing issue that leads to
deadlocks. I understand that many people do have them working, but you
can see the number of people who have had problems and had to try
different cables or USB ports, etc. Also, as you note, there is someone
who produced a software controlled power switch to reset the HD-PVR.
All of this should serve as a warning that the HD-PVR is a bit of a crap
shoot. You may get a working capture device or you may get a $200
paperweight.

Keith

knight at teksavvy

Sep 14, 2012, 4:41 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

Hi!

On 9/14/2012 5:07 PM, Joe Hickey wrote:
> non-gaming HD-PVR, but it also looks like there is now an "HD-PVR 2"
> and it's about $40 cheaper than the HD-PVR.
>
> Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116084
>
> Does anyone have any success/fail reports using this version? Looks

Unless I misread what Devin said about it on IRC the hardware is very
different and not currently supported under Linux.

> like it has HDMI inputs, and according to the pictures it has a
> breakout cable with component video inputs.

It has an HDMI input but cannot record anything protected with HDCP
(that's why it can't record a PS3 with its HDMI input).

Have a nice day!

Nicolas

mdupuis at ocg

Sep 14, 2012, 4:58 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

Couldn't take HDMI output, convert to DVI (which preserves full video) with a cheap adapter, and then convert to H.264 using a product like this? No more worry about HDCP?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158317

Just curious...
> non-gaming HD-PVR, but it also looks like there is now an "HD-PVR 2"
> and it's about $40 cheaper than the HD-PVR.
>
> Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116084
>
> Does anyone have any success/fail reports using this version? Looks

Unless I misread what Devin said about it on IRC the hardware is very
different and not currently supported under Linux.

> like it has HDMI inputs, and according to the pictures it has a
> breakout cable with component video inputs.

It has an HDMI input but cannot record anything protected with HDCP
(that's why it can't record a PS3 with its HDMI input).

Have a nice day!

Nicolas

skreien at wcnet

Sep 14, 2012, 5:33 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

Check out this company's products.

http://www.hdfury.com/

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Sep 14, 2012, 5:43 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Scot Kreienkamp <skreien [at] wcnet> wrote:
> Check out

Please read the mailing list etiquette article,
especially item 5 in the section labeled
"Anything else I should be aware of?"

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette

mikep at randomtraveller

Sep 15, 2012, 6:37 AM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On 15/09/12 00:58, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> Couldn't take HDMI output, convert to DVI (which preserves full video) with a
> cheap adapter, and then convert to H.264 using a product like this? No more
> worry about HDCP?
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158317

DVI preserves full video, but it also preserves HDCP. Sorry, no cigar.

--

Mike Perkins

skreien at wcnet

Sep 16, 2012, 7:13 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

Sorry about that... meant to send that to him privately. My other list
unless you hit reply-all it doesn't go to the list.

cbannister at slingshot

Sep 22, 2012, 8:49 PM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 03:49:44PM -0400, Dan Wilga wrote:

> I am still using the older firmware that came on the device, since
> my kernel is 2.6.x and lacks the newer module needed to communicate
> correctly with the newest firmware.

Theoretically, it should be possible to upgrade the kernel on its own,
all you should really need to worry about is firmware (e.g. for your
network cards etc.), udev, and initramfs-tools.

Practically, I am not sure because I am not yet running mythtv, and I am
not sure if you have access to the package management tools without
having to jump through hoops.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

jedi at mishnet

Sep 24, 2012, 7:18 AM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 03:49:52PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 03:49:44PM -0400, Dan Wilga wrote:
> >
> > I am still using the older firmware that came on the device, since
> > my kernel is 2.6.x and lacks the newer module needed to communicate
> > correctly with the newest firmware.
>
> Theoretically, it should be possible to upgrade the kernel on its own,
> all you should really need to worry about is firmware (e.g. for your
> network cards etc.), udev, and initramfs-tools.

Perhaps an upgrade of V4L itself would do instead. If that's a viable
option then he could just download the current version of V4L and build and
install that rather than swapping out his entire kernel.

I did that awhile back to enable support for a newer revision of the HD-PVR.

[deletia]

mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1

Sep 24, 2012, 8:20 AM

Re: HD-PVR or something else? [In reply to]

On 9/24/12 10:18 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 03:49:52PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 03:49:44PM -0400, Dan Wilga wrote:
>>> I am still using the older firmware that came on the device, since
>>> my kernel is 2.6.x and lacks the newer module needed to communicate
>>> correctly with the newest firmware.
>> Theoretically, it should be possible to upgrade the kernel on its own,
>> all you should really need to worry about is firmware (e.g. for your
>> network cards etc.), udev, and initramfs-tools.
> Perhaps an upgrade of V4L itself would do instead. If that's a viable
> option then he could just download the current version of V4L and build and
> install that rather than swapping out his entire kernel.
>
> I did that awhile back to enable support for a newer revision of the HD-PVR.

Right now, I'm taking the "if it ain't broke" approach :-). I could
definitely upgrade the kernel or just v4l, but things are working well,
so I'm going to leave it for the time being.

--
Dan Wilga "Ook."