Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

MythTV on Android

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

josu.lazkano at gmail

Sep 5, 2012, 3:59 AM

MythTV on Android

Hello, I install the MythTV client for Android:
https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads

I try the last APK (mythtv-for-android-2012-07-11.apk). I am having
some problems to playback the recordings on my Nexus 7. Is this a good
place to discuss about the Android client?

Is possible to get a new version of the APK? It will be great to know
how to create the APK from source.

Is anyone have success playback on a Nexus 7?

Thanks and best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 5, 2012, 6:45 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hello, I install the MythTV client for Android:
> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads
>
> I try the last APK (mythtv-for-android-2012-07-11.apk). I am having
> some problems to playback the recordings on my Nexus 7. Is this a good
> place to discuss about the Android client?
>
> Is possible to get a new version of the APK? It will be great to know
> how to create the APK from source.
>
> Is anyone have success playback on a Nexus 7?
>
> Thanks and best regards.
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

Josu,

I hope to be putting a new apk out in the next few days we a bunch of new
items. I can work with you offline if you wish to build from source. I
have a wiki page on the github site setup on how to setup your environment
if you wish to build from source.
https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/wiki/Development-Environment-Setup

Most the guys developing the app have the Nexus 7 and have had no issues
with playback on that device. What issues are you seeing, specifically? I
do have some changes in the latest code to better handle the playback, but
have yet to release the apk since other development has been going on.

Dan

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

josu.lazkano at gmail

Sep 5, 2012, 7:50 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

2012/9/5 Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail>:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I install the MythTV client for Android:
>> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads
>>
>> I try the last APK (mythtv-for-android-2012-07-11.apk). I am having
>> some problems to playback the recordings on my Nexus 7. Is this a good
>> place to discuss about the Android client?
>>
>> Is possible to get a new version of the APK? It will be great to know
>> how to create the APK from source.
>>
>> Is anyone have success playback on a Nexus 7?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards.
>>
>> --
>> Josu Lazkano
>

> Josu,
>
> I hope to be putting a new apk out in the next few days we a bunch of new
> items. I can work with you offline if you wish to build from source. I
> have a wiki page on the github site setup on how to setup your environment
> if you wish to build from source.
> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/wiki/Development-Environment-Setup
>
> Most the guys developing the app have the Nexus 7 and have had no issues
> with playback on that device. What issues are you seeing, specifically? I
> do have some changes in the latest code to better handle the playback, but
> have yet to release the apk since other development has been going on.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> My Google Profile

Hello Dan, thanks for your great work on the Android client, this app
is what I need.

The playback problem is that it spend too much time to start the
recorded program and it use to crash if I forward or rewind the show.

Which is the recomended player? must I transcode the recordings?

Is it possible to compile it without install the Eclipse Framwork? I
want to compile it on my server.

Thanks and best regards.

--
Josu Lazkano

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 5, 2012, 9:28 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail>wrote:

> 2012/9/5 Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail>:
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello, I install the MythTV client for Android:
> >> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads
> >>
> >> I try the last APK (mythtv-for-android-2012-07-11.apk). I am having
> >> some problems to playback the recordings on my Nexus 7. Is this a good
> >> place to discuss about the Android client?
> >>
> >> Is possible to get a new version of the APK? It will be great to know
> >> how to create the APK from source.
> >>
> >> Is anyone have success playback on a Nexus 7?
> >>
> >> Thanks and best regards.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Josu Lazkano
> >

> > Josu,
> >
> > I hope to be putting a new apk out in the next few days we a bunch of new
> > items. I can work with you offline if you wish to build from source. I
> > have a wiki page on the github site setup on how to setup your
> environment
> > if you wish to build from source.
> >
> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/wiki/Development-Environment-Setup
> >
> > Most the guys developing the app have the Nexus 7 and have had no issues
> > with playback on that device. What issues are you seeing, specifically?
> > do have some changes in the latest code to better handle the playback,
> but
> > have yet to release the apk since other development has been going on.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> > My Google Profile

> Hello Dan, thanks for your great work on the Android client, this app
> is what I need.
>
> The playback problem is that it spend too much time to start the
> recorded program and it use to crash if I forward or rewind the show.
>
> Which is the recomended player? must I transcode the recordings?
>
> Is it possible to compile it without install the Eclipse Framwork? I
> want to compile it on my server.
>
> Thanks and best regards.
>
> --
> Josu Lazkano

Josu,

Thank you. I am glad you like the app.

At this time, you cannot fast forward or rewind when doing HLS. The app
kicks off HLS, but you can't get to a point in the future until the
transcode reaches that point. You may be able rewind, but haven't had good
luck with that either.

You should be able to use any client that supports HLS in the market,
however, we have had the best success internally with BS Player
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5ic3BsYXllci5ic3BhbmRyb2lkLmZyZWUiXQ..

As for it taking too long to start, there should be a fix in place in the
code to help with that. I will try to get a new apk out in the next day or
so as I have some last minute things to add before it is ready.

Eclipse is not required, but I don't have any build scripts in place to
build it outside of eclipse. I will try to add that at some point, but it
hasn't been a priority.

Dan

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

josu.lazkano at gmail

Sep 5, 2012, 2:26 PM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

2012/9/5 Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail>:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/9/5 Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail>:

>> > Josu,
>> >
>> > I hope to be putting a new apk out in the next few days we a bunch of
>> > new
>> > items. I can work with you offline if you wish to build from source. I
>> > have a wiki page on the github site setup on how to setup your
>> > environment
>> > if you wish to build from source.
>> >
>> > https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/wiki/Development-Environment-Setup
>> >
>> > Most the guys developing the app have the Nexus 7 and have had no issues
>> > with playback on that device. What issues are you seeing, specifically?
>> > do have some changes in the latest code to better handle the playback,
>> > but
>> > have yet to release the apk since other development has been going on.
>> >
>> > Dan
>> >
>> > --
>> > My Google Profile

>> Hello Dan, thanks for your great work on the Android client, this app
>> is what I need.
>>
>> The playback problem is that it spend too much time to start the
>> recorded program and it use to crash if I forward or rewind the show.
>>
>> Which is the recomended player? must I transcode the recordings?
>>
>> Is it possible to compile it without install the Eclipse Framwork? I
>> want to compile it on my server.
>>
>> Thanks and best regards.
>>
>> --
>> Josu Lazkano
>

> Josu,
>
> Thank you. I am glad you like the app.
>
> At this time, you cannot fast forward or rewind when doing HLS. The app
> kicks off HLS, but you can't get to a point in the future until the
> transcode reaches that point. You may be able rewind, but haven't had good
> luck with that either.
>
> You should be able to use any client that supports HLS in the market,
> however, we have had the best success internally with BS Player
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5ic3BsYXllci5ic3BhbmRyb2lkLmZyZWUiXQ..
>
> As for it taking too long to start, there should be a fix in place in the
> code to help with that. I will try to get a new apk out in the next day or
> so as I have some last minute things to add before it is ready.
>
> Eclipse is not required, but I don't have any build scripts in place to
> build it outside of eclipse. I will try to add that at some point, but it
> hasn't been a priority.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> My Google Profile

Thanks again Dan, I will wait wait for the last release.

Kind regards.
--
Josu Lazkano

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 5, 2012, 6:20 PM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail> wrote:

> 2012/9/5 Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail>:
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail>
> > wrote:

> good

> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/wiki/Development-Environment-Setup

> issues
> specifically?

> >> Hello Dan, thanks for your great work on the Android client, this app
> >> is what I need.
> >>
> >> The playback problem is that it spend too much time to start the
> >> recorded program and it use to crash if I forward or rewind the show.
> >>
> >> Which is the recomended player? must I transcode the recordings?
> >>
> >> Is it possible to compile it without install the Eclipse Framwork? I
> >> want to compile it on my server.
> >>
> >> Thanks and best regards.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Josu Lazkano
> >

> > Josu,
> >
> > Thank you. I am glad you like the app.
> >
> > At this time, you cannot fast forward or rewind when doing HLS. The app
> > kicks off HLS, but you can't get to a point in the future until the
> > transcode reaches that point. You may be able rewind, but haven't had
> good
> > luck with that either.
> >
> > You should be able to use any client that supports HLS in the market,
> > however, we have had the best success internally with BS Player
> >
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5ic3BsYXllci5ic3BhbmRyb2lkLmZyZWUiXQ
> ..
> >
> > As for it taking too long to start, there should be a fix in place in the
> > code to help with that. I will try to get a new apk out in the next day
> or
> > so as I have some last minute things to add before it is ready.
> >
> > Eclipse is not required, but I don't have any build scripts in place to
> > build it outside of eclipse. I will try to add that at some point, but
> it
> > hasn't been a priority.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> > My Google Profile

> Thanks again Dan, I will wait wait for the last release.
>
> Kind regards.
> --
> Josu Lazkano

Josu,

New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for updated
features.

https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads

Dan

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

josu.lazkano at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 1:17 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

2012/9/6 Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail>:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/9/5 Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail>:

>> > Josu,
>> >
>> > Thank you. I am glad you like the app.
>> >
>> > At this time, you cannot fast forward or rewind when doing HLS. The app
>> > kicks off HLS, but you can't get to a point in the future until the
>> > transcode reaches that point. You may be able rewind, but haven't had
>> > good
>> > luck with that either.
>> >
>> > You should be able to use any client that supports HLS in the market,
>> > however, we have had the best success internally with BS Player
>> >
>> > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5ic3BsYXllci5ic3BhbmRyb2lkLmZyZWUiXQ..
>> >
>> > As for it taking too long to start, there should be a fix in place in
>> > the
>> > code to help with that. I will try to get a new apk out in the next day
>> > or
>> > so as I have some last minute things to add before it is ready.
>> >
>> > Eclipse is not required, but I don't have any build scripts in place to
>> > build it outside of eclipse. I will try to add that at some point, but
>> > it
>> > hasn't been a priority.
>> >
>> > Dan
>> >
>> > --
>> > My Google Profile

>> Thanks again Dan, I will wait wait for the last release.
>>
>> Kind regards.
>> --
>> Josu Lazkano
>

> Josu,
>
> New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for updated
> features.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads
>
> Dan
>
> --
> My Google Profile

Thanks!

--
Josu Lazkano

brian at interlinx

Sep 6, 2012, 3:54 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On 12-09-05 09:20 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:

> New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for updated
> features.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads

This app requires "Phone calls" permission. Why would a mythtv frontend
need to make phone calls?

Cheers,
b.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 4:10 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Sep 6, 2012 6:54 AM, "Brian J. Murrell" <brian [at] interlinx> wrote:

> On 12-09-05 09:20 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> >
> > New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for
updated
> > features.
> >
> > https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads
>
> This app requires "Phone calls" permission. Why would a mythtv frontend
> need to make phone calls?
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Brian,
It requires phone call permissions because when you are connected to a
front end with the mythmote function, and you get a phone call, it will
send caller id information to the front end in which you are connected.

Dan

brian at interlinx

Sep 6, 2012, 4:16 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On 12-09-06 07:10 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:

> Brian,

Hi Daniel,

> It requires phone call permissions because when you are connected to a
> front end with the mythmote function, and you get a phone call, it will
> send caller id information to the front end in which you are connected.

OK. TBH, this is one of the things about Android's permission system
that annoys me. "Phone calls" is such a broad range of functions, that
include money costing operation as well as non-money costing operations.
Additionally, I can't accept an app but deny it a permission that it
wants -- at the cost of losing functionality in the app of course.

Cheers,
b.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

brian at interlinx

Sep 6, 2012, 4:24 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On 12-09-05 09:20 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:

> New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for updated
> features.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads

So, the first thing it does is loads the program guide.

That seems premature. What if I never want to do anything that needs
the guide? I shouldn't be blocked from, say, watching recordings while
I wait (quite a number of minutes) for a guide to load that I will
never use. Probably loading the guide should wait until I do something
that needs it.

It's very slow to read the Recorded program listing also. It took many
minutes here.

It also takes a long time (again, on the order of minutes) to start a
recording playback. Oh. and it didn't actually play it. It just
popped up a "Unfortunately, MythTV for Android has stopped." dialog.
:-(

Clicking OK on it takes me back to the list of episodes of the title I
was trying to watch. And trying to select another program yields a
java.lang.NPE.

I do seem to be getting a lot of:

Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer82 servicehost.cpp:134 (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer82 servicehost.cpp:405 (ProcessRequest) GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer88 servicehost.cpp:134 (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer88 servicehost.cpp:405 (ProcessRequest) GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer57 servicehost.cpp:134 (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer57 servicehost.cpp:405 (ProcessRequest) GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer61 servicehost.cpp:134 (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer61 servicehost.cpp:405 (ProcessRequest) GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer74 servicehost.cpp:134 (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer74 servicehost.cpp:405 (ProcessRequest) GetFile - FileName missing.
Sep 6 07:18:24 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer79 servicehost.cpp:134 (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName missing.

on my BE though. I'm currently running 0.25.2-fixes from 20120801 at
git hash 46cab93

Cheers,
b.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

chrislewis915 at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 4:32 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

> OK. TBH, this is one of the things about Android's permission system
> that annoys me. "Phone calls" is such a broad range of functions, that
> include money costing operation as well as non-money costing operations.
> Additionally, I can't accept an app but deny it a permission that it
> wants -- at the cost of losing functionality in the app of course.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Check out 'permission denied' on the play store if you are rooted

Chris

brian at interlinx

Sep 6, 2012, 4:39 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On 12-09-06 07:32 AM, Chris Lewis wrote:

> Check out 'permission denied' on the play store if you are rooted

Yeah. Not rooted (yet).

Thanks for the pointer though.

Cheers,
b.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.25 KB)

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 6:03 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian [at] interlinx>wrote:

> [...]
> Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer61 servicehost.cpp:134
> (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName
> missing.
> Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer61 servicehost.cpp:405
> (ProcessRequest) GetFile - FileName missing.
> Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer74 servicehost.cpp:134
> (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName
> missing.
> Sep 6 07:18:23 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer74 servicehost.cpp:405
> (ProcessRequest) GetFile - FileName missing.
> Sep 6 07:18:24 pvr mythbackend[9899]: E HttpServer79 servicehost.cpp:134
> (Invoke) MethodInfo::Invoke - An Exception Occurred: GetFile - FileName
> missing.
>
> on my BE though. I'm currently running 0.25.2-fixes from 20120801 at

Unfortunately, Mythtv is very data intensive. We preload a lot of the
guide data so that you don't need to continually be calling the backend
which would provide for a very slow user experience. Also, calling the web
services can be somewhat slow when you look at how much data is actually
coming from the backend.

We made the decision to preload the program guide, the first time. Then
you will only get minimal updates on subsequent days. We then mark the
data previously loaded as to what has been recorded and what is upcoming on
the respective screens. This shouldn't be any different than what happens
when you load mythtv the first time. It needs to load all the data from SD
first.

Another reason for this preloading the data is that one of the next
features will be a global search from the Action Bar. Preliminary work has
been performed on listing and viewing your recording rules. Soon there
will be an edit screen for them as well. Once implemented, that will
ultimately be the screen you drill down to either by searching for programs
or clicking on a program in the guide as well as in upcoming. You will be
able to add/edit recording rules right from the phone.

The app is more than just a player. Its ultimate goal is to be another
frontend. We are attempting to load the data as efficiently as possible,
but there is a lot of data to load. .26 will help out a lot when we can do
GZIP compression of the data and ETAG support for determining is backend
resources changed, but for now, we are kinda stuck having load data at
predetermined times.

Can you send me the stacktrace you are seeing when you received the NPE?

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

snharris99 at live

Sep 6, 2012, 8:11 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

>> New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for updated
>> features.
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads

>-- snip --

>It also takes a long time (again, on the order of minutes) to start a
>recording playback. Oh. and it didn't actually play it. It just
>popped up a "Unfortunately, MythTV for Android has stopped." dialog.
>:-(

>Clicking OK on it takes me back to the list of episodes of the title I
>was trying to watch. And trying to select another program yields a
>java.lang.NPE.

>-- snip --

I too, have never actually been able to play a recording with this app using my Galaxy Nexus.  It loads everything else (guide, recording lists, etc) fine, however, when I click a recording to play it goes to "retrieving recording" (or something like that) with a spinning circle.  This continues for several minutes before I finally give up and close out.  This is even with a (relatively) small 30 minute SD recording.

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 8:14 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Scott and Nicole Harris <
snharris99 [at] live> wrote:

> >> New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for
> updated
> >> features.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads
>
> >-- snip --
>
> >It also takes a long time (again, on the order of minutes) to start a
> >recording playback. Oh. and it didn't actually play it. It just
> >popped up a "Unfortunately, MythTV for Android has stopped." dialog.
> >:-(
>
> >Clicking OK on it takes me back to the list of episodes of the title I
> >was trying to watch. And trying to select another program yields a
> >java.lang.NPE.
>
> >-- snip --
>
> I too, have never actually been able to play a recording with this app
> using my Galaxy Nexus. It loads everything else (guide, recording lists,
> etc) fine, however, when I click a recording to play it goes to "retrieving
> recording" (or something like that) with a spinning circle. This continues
> for several minutes before I finally give up and close out. This is even
> with a (relatively) small 30 minute SD recording.

What player are you using?

The native one seems to have issues. We have tried a few, but BS Player
Free seems to work the best with our testing.

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

tkrantz at stahurabrenner

Sep 6, 2012, 8:17 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

_____

<snharris99 [at] live> wrote:

>> New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for updated
>> features.
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads

>-- snip --

>It also takes a long time (again, on the order of minutes) to start a
>recording playback. Oh. and it didn't actually play it. It just
>popped up a "Unfortunately, MythTV for Android has stopped." dialog.
>:-(

>Clicking OK on it takes me back to the list of episodes of the title I
>was trying to watch. And trying to select another program yields a
>java.lang.NPE.

>-- snip --

I too, have never actually been able to play a recording with this app using
my Galaxy Nexus. It loads everything else (guide, recording lists, etc)
fine, however, when I click a recording to play it goes to "retrieving
recording" (or something like that) with a spinning circle. This continues
for several minutes before I finally give up and close out. This is even
with a (relatively) small 30 minute SD recording.

What player are you using?

The native one seems to have issues. We have tried a few, but BS Player
Free seems to work the best with our testing.

--
My <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey> Google Profile

Just one comment, BS Player Free does not play the AAC audio that mythtv
0.26 is putting out. Just silently goes away.....

Tim

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 8:20 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Timothy Krantz
<tkrantz [at] stahurabrenner>wrote:

> **
>

> ------------------------------

Thanks Tim,

I was unaware of that. I am not running .26 yet. I need to find some time
to upgrade.

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

snharris99 at live

Sep 6, 2012, 8:36 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

> >> New version is in the github downloads link. See my next post for updated
> >> features.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/MythTV-Android/mythtv-for-android/downloads
>
> >-- snip --
>
> >It also takes a long time (again, on the order of minutes) to start a
> >recording playback. Oh. and it didn't actually play it. It just
> >popped up a "Unfortunately, MythTV for Android has stopped." dialog.
> >:-(
>
> >Clicking OK on it takes me back to the list of episodes of the title I
> >was trying to watch. And trying to select another program yields a
> >java.lang.NPE.
>
> >-- snip --
>
> I too, have never actually been able to play a recording with this app
> using my Galaxy Nexus. It loads everything else (guide, recording
> lists, etc) fine, however, when I click a recording to play it goes to
> "retrieving recording" (or something like that) with a spinning circle.
> This continues for several minutes before I finally give up and close
> out. This is even with a (relatively) small 30 minute SD recording.

> What player are you using?
>
> The native one seems to have issues. We have tried a few, but BS
> Player Free seems to work the best with our testing.
>
> --

I have Mobo and BS installed on my Nexus.  I never actually get anywhere that lets me specify a player (I am expecting to see the typical "how do you want to play this always \ just once" dialog that an app would typically generate.  I don't see anywhere in the settings that allows a default player to be specified either.

eric at lisaneric

Sep 6, 2012, 9:16 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian [at] interlinx> wrote:
> OK. TBH, this is one of the things about Android's permission system
> that annoys me. "Phone calls" is such a broad range of functions, that
> include money costing operation as well as non-money costing operations.

Maybe it depends on your version of Android? I just tried installing
it and this permission request was more specific. It was listed as:

Phone calls
read phone state and identity

This was on a Galaxy SIII.

Eric

keemllib at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 9:19 AM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On 09/06/2012 10:20 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Timothy Krantz
>> Just one comment, BS Player Free does not play the AAC audio that mythtv
>> 0.26 is putting out. Just silently goes away.....
> I was unaware of that. I am not running .26 yet. I need to find some time
> to upgrade.

FYI, I'm running *buntu 12.04/MythTV 0.26-rc2, Android 4.04/MythTV for Android-2012-09-05.apk
and just tested this (using BS Player Free.)

This had always failed for me too, but I recently upgraded from Android 3 to 4.

Watching an OTA HD recoding works. There are build instructions in the 0.26
release notes that reference:

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/2b3bd21

I configure like this:

./configure --enable-libx264 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-proc-opt

I haven't retried without libmp3lame (e.g. using libfaac.)

--
Bill

nick.rout at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 1:38 PM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

Once I have chosen a scanned for backend in preferences, how do I
"select" that backend to connect to.

When I exit out of preferecnes and hit "home" I get "A connection to
the mythtv master backend could not be established. Make sure you
setup your home and away profiles on the preferences screen".

dmfrey at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 1:48 PM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> Once I have chosen a scanned for backend in preferences, how do I
> "select" that backend to connect to.
>
> When I exit out of preferecnes and hit "home" I get "A connection to
> the mythtv master backend could not be established. Make sure you
> setup your home and away profiles on the preferences screen".

Nick,

The app tries to verify that you are backend is available on the network
before I tries to do any network activities (i.e. download program guide,
play a video, etc.)

Are you attempting to connect via ssh or not on your home network? I have
seen this happen when I have a slowdown in broadband connection?

In the settings, for the Home settings, at the top of the setting page it
tells you which backend is selected. If you need to change it to another
backend, just tap that preference and you should be prompted with a list of
configured backends. Select the appropriate one and try to access the Home
screen again.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Dan

--
My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

nick.rout at gmail

Sep 6, 2012, 2:50 PM

Re: MythTV on Android [In reply to]

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Once I have chosen a scanned for backend in preferences, how do I
>> "select" that backend to connect to.
>>
>> When I exit out of preferecnes and hit "home" I get "A connection to
>> the mythtv master backend could not be established. Make sure you
>> setup your home and away profiles on the preferences screen".
>

> Nick,
>
> The app tries to verify that you are backend is available on the network
> before I tries to do any network activities (i.e. download program guide,
> play a video, etc.)
>
> Are you attempting to connect via ssh or not on your home network? I have
> seen this happen when I have a slowdown in broadband connection?

All hosts are on the same subnet, The android (samsung s3 phone) is on
wifi and the backend is on virtualbox in a windows 7 machine connected
to the same router via wired ethernet. No ssh.

> In the settings, for the Home settings, at the top of the setting page it
> tells you which backend is selected.

None is selected

>If you need to change it to another
> backend, just tap that preference and you should be prompted with a list of
> configured backends. Select the appropriate one and try to access the Home
> screen again.

I tap it and nothing happens. It just says "Selected Home Profile"

> Let me know if you have any issues.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> My Google Profile