Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Terratec H7 DVB-C/DVB-T with CI and used by mythtv

roger.martensson at gmail

Aug 26, 2012, 12:51 PM

Terratec H7 DVB-C/DVB-T with CI and used by mythtv

Hello!

I bought the Terratec H7 USB device for use in MythTV. Mostly because it
has CAM slot. And I noticed a driver for it was posted on the
linux-media list. Not long after the driver got included it also got
support for CI.

Currently it is found in the media_build tree. Not sure if it is
released in any release of Linux yet.

I'm happy to inform you it is working like a charm in my DVB-C network
and with full CI support. Both in SD and HD. Haven't tried the DVB-T
part but since it is the same driver I would guess it should work.

BUT!!!

I "lost" a couple of months testing this driver since I didn't get it to
work 100% in Kaffeine.

I was stuck in this state until I noticed a bugreport about another
driver. It was #10839 which didnt have anything to do with my problem at
all. What it did was explain to me how MythTV changes channel.

It was exactly how I was using Kaffeine to work around my problem.

The "bug" in the driver shows itself when I used these steps:
* Start Kaffeine
* Tune to an encrypted channel
* If that works tune to another encrypted channel
* Video does not show up. Close Kaffeine
* Start Kaffeine and it will show up the chosen channel

So the working "workaround" for the Terratec H7 driver is:
* Open device
* Tune to a channel
* Close device
* Open device
* Record
* Close device

The exact way MythTV is using acording to the bug report.

So my hope is that the MythTV developers will not stop using this approach.

Thanks again for an excellent piece of software.

tingox at gmail

Aug 26, 2012, 3:08 PM

Re: Terratec H7 DVB-C/DVB-T with CI and used by mythtv [In reply to]

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Roger Mårtensson
<roger.martensson [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I bought the Terratec H7 USB device for use in MythTV. Mostly because it has
> CAM slot. And I noticed a driver for it was posted on the linux-media list.
> Not long after the driver got included it also got support for CI.
>
> Currently it is found in the media_build tree. Not sure if it is released in
> any release of Linux yet.
>
> I'm happy to inform you it is working like a charm in my DVB-C network and
> with full CI support. Both in SD and HD. Haven't tried the DVB-T part but
> since it is the same driver I would guess it should work.
>
> BUT!!!
>
> I "lost" a couple of months testing this driver since I didn't get it to
> work 100% in Kaffeine.
>
> I was stuck in this state until I noticed a bugreport about another driver.
> It was #10839 which didnt have anything to do with my problem at all. What
> it did was explain to me how MythTV changes channel.
>
> It was exactly how I was using Kaffeine to work around my problem.
>
> The "bug" in the driver shows itself when I used these steps:
> * Start Kaffeine
> * Tune to an encrypted channel
> * If that works tune to another encrypted channel
> * Video does not show up. Close Kaffeine
> * Start Kaffeine and it will show up the chosen channel
>
> So the working "workaround" for the Terratec H7 driver is:
> * Open device
> * Tune to a channel
> * Close device
> * Open device
> * Record
> * Close device
>
> The exact way MythTV is using acording to the bug report.
>
> So my hope is that the MythTV developers will not stop using this approach.

Thanks for reporting - this is good to know!
(I should get back to testing my H7 soon)
Torfinn Ingolfsen

kenni at kelu

Aug 27, 2012, 3:09 PM

Re: Terratec H7 DVB-C/DVB-T with CI and used by mythtv [In reply to]

2012/8/26 Roger Mårtensson <roger.martensson [at] gmail>:
> Hello!
>
> I bought the Terratec H7 USB device for use in MythTV. Mostly because it has
> CAM slot. And I noticed a driver for it was posted on the linux-media list.
> Not long after the driver got included it also got support for CI.
>
> Currently it is found in the media_build tree. Not sure if it is released in
> any release of Linux yet.
>
> I'm happy to inform you it is working like a charm in my DVB-C network and
> with full CI support. Both in SD and HD. Haven't tried the DVB-T part but
> since it is the same driver I would guess it should work.

Hi Roger

It would be nice if you could add the tuner to the Linux TV wiki to
share your findings. USB-based DVB-C/T tuners with CI which works
under Linux are NOT very common, so when we have a tuner that actually
works, it's worth documenting IMHO :) I added the TechnoTrend CT-3650
CI to the wiki last year and if the Terratec H7 works now, that means
we actually have two DVB-C/T USB tuners with CI to choose between...

As far as I can tell, the H7 doesn't even exist on linuxtv.org, so a
product page for the tuner will have to be created as well as links to
the page from the DVB-C USB and DVB-T USB pages.

Eg. something like:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechnoTrend_TT-connect_CT-3650_CI

And links from the respective lists of supported devices:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_USB_Devices
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices

I'll be happy to help out with the wiki pages next week, if you can
provide some details about your setup.

Best regards
Kenni

roger.martensson at gmail

Aug 30, 2012, 9:06 AM

Re: Terratec H7 DVB-C/DVB-T with CI and used by mythtv [In reply to]

Kenni Lund skrev 2012-08-28 00:09:
> 2012/8/26 Roger Mårtensson <roger.martensson [at] gmail>:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I bought the Terratec H7 USB device for use in MythTV. Mostly because it has
>> CAM slot. And I noticed a driver for it was posted on the linux-media list.
>> Not long after the driver got included it also got support for CI.
>>
>> Currently it is found in the media_build tree. Not sure if it is released in
>> any release of Linux yet.
>>
>> I'm happy to inform you it is working like a charm in my DVB-C network and
>> with full CI support. Both in SD and HD. Haven't tried the DVB-T part but
>> since it is the same driver I would guess it should work.
>
> Hi Roger
>
> It would be nice if you could add the tuner to the Linux TV wiki to
> share your findings. USB-based DVB-C/T tuners with CI which works
> under Linux are NOT very common, so when we have a tuner that actually
> works, it's worth documenting IMHO :) I added the TechnoTrend CT-3650
> CI to the wiki last year and if the Terratec H7 works now, that means
> we actually have two DVB-C/T USB tuners with CI to choose between...

Oh yes.. A linux tuner with CI that works is a rare thing to have.
I got myself one PCI-card which uses the budget-av driver but the output
from that card is not watchable. :(

> As far as I can tell, the H7 doesn't even exist on linuxtv.org, so a
> product page for the tuner will have to be created as well as links to
> the page from the DVB-C USB and DVB-T USB pages.

The driver is really new. Not sure it's even entered a official kernel
yet. But then there are many cards and devices that's not found on the
wiki.

> Eg. something like:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechnoTrend_TT-connect_CT-3650_CI
>
> And links from the respective lists of supported devices:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_USB_Devices
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices
>
> I'll be happy to help out with the wiki pages next week, if you can
> provide some details about your setup.

I'm not that familiar with the wiki at linuxtv.org so I would need some
help and handholdning. If you help me with that I can help with
information to put on the page.

Just drop me an private e-mail whenever you have time to help.