Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Linux/Android AirPlay client

fredwattmythtv at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 2:58 AM

Linux/Android AirPlay client

Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to test
AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?

vendion at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 5:17 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to test
> AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?

For Android you can try HIFISpeaker, I have not played with AirPlay in Myth
yet so I have no clue how well it works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android_hifi.speaker&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hbmRyb2lkX2hpZmkuc3BlYWtlciJd

dbadia at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 5:45 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On Aug 21, 2012 5:59 AM, "Fred Watt" <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to test
AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?

I've been using Honey player with mixed results (frequent skipping). The
only fe I have setup for airplay has a bit of a weak wifi signal so it may
be due to that. On the other hand, my wifes iphone works well with that
fe. Be curious to hear how others fare with android and airplay.

Dave

fredwattmythtv at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 6:57 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21/08/12 13:45, Dave Badia wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2012 5:59 AM, "Fred Watt" <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail
> <mailto:fredwattmythtv [at] gmail>> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to
> test AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?
>
> I've been using Honey player with mixed results (frequent skipping).
> The only fe I have setup for airplay has a bit of a weak wifi signal
> so it may be due to that. On the other hand, my wifes iphone works
> well with that fe. Be curious to hear how others fare with android
> and airplay.
>
> Dave

Honey player .. small cost. I have tried twonky mobile and PlayTo lite
whilst both play to xbmc (airplay), either app can't see the
mythtvfrontend device. Audio streaming from itunes verifies
mythfrontend is operational and it is very very good. I have to say
xbmc's AirPlay is impressive it just works and works for audio/video.

I was interested to see if I could stream images/video to a mythfrontend
- though I don't have any apple devices. I've read images are not
supported, but was interested in what would work.

With twonky you can stream over AirPlay, but whilst the XBMC appears as
both a upnp and airplay sink (device) there's nothing for Myth.

I wish mythfrontend had the rendering capabilities of xbmc's unpnp.
All interesting ... anyone else know of any client's worth trying?

davebrown099 at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 7:10 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail>wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to test
> AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?

for Android I recommend imediashare lite

its free and works fine.

fredwattmythtv at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 7:45 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21/08/12 15:10, Dave Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail
> <mailto:fredwattmythtv [at] gmail>> wrote:
>
> Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to
> test AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?
>

> for Android I recommend imediashare lite
>
> its free and works fine.

Thanks Dave just installed it - again for me I can't see the
MythFrontend device from IMediaShare. When I run xbmc on the same pc
IMediaShare sees it immediately and will stream all source.

Maybe I have something wrong with my setup... raop streamings is
working, and I have set export MYTHTV_AIRPLAY="1" and the log contains
reassuring entries:

2012-08-21 15:37:48.119533 I AirPay: Created airplay objects.
2012-08-21 15:37:49.029725 I Bonjour: Service registration complete:
name 'MythTV on pc1.abc.co.uk' type '_airplay._tcp.' domain: 'local.'

Using 'avahi-browse -a' I can see a reference for mythfrontend ...
+ eth1 IPv4 MythTV on pc1.abc.co.uk _airplay._tcp local

Odd very odd... where as xbmc appears on all the client android apps.

fredwattmythtv at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 7:51 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21/08/12 15:45, Fred Watt wrote:
> On 21/08/12 15:10, Dave Brown wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail
>> <mailto:fredwattmythtv [at] gmail>> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to
>> test AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?
>>

>> for Android I recommend imediashare lite
>>
>> its free and works fine.

> Thanks Dave just installed it - again for me I can't see the
> MythFrontend device from IMediaShare. When I run xbmc on the same pc
> IMediaShare sees it immediately and will stream all source.
>
> Maybe I have something wrong with my setup... raop streamings is
> working, and I have set export MYTHTV_AIRPLAY="1" and the log contains
> reassuring entries:
>
> 2012-08-21 15:37:48.119533 I AirPay: Created airplay objects.
> 2012-08-21 15:37:49.029725 I Bonjour: Service registration complete:
> name 'MythTV on pc1.abc.co.uk' type '_airplay._tcp.' domain: 'local.'
>
> Using 'avahi-browse -a' I can see a reference for mythfrontend ...
> + eth1 IPv4 MythTV on pc1.abc.co.uk _airplay._tcp local
>
> Odd very odd... where as xbmc appears on all the client android apps.

Dave can I ask which mythtv version you are using? - I am using Mythtv
.25 fixes from mythbuntu ppa.

jean-yves at avenard

Aug 21, 2012, 10:13 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21 August 2012 15:57, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> device. Audio streaming from itunes verifies mythfrontend is operational
> and it is very very good. I have to say xbmc's AirPlay is impressive it
> just works and works for audio/video.

???
MythFrontend has better AirPlay support than XBMC and is more feature
complete when it comes to AirPlay

jean-yves at avenard

Aug 21, 2012, 10:16 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21 August 2012 16:45, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

> 'MythTV on pc1.abc.co.uk' type '_airplay._tcp.' domain: 'local.'

AirPlay relies on mDNS to be configure properly.
pc1.abc.co.uk is unlikely a valid hostname, so pc1.abc.co.uk wouldn't
be resolved properly.

properly set your hostname on your machine, and make sure you run a
recent version of myth (there was some issues when using a dual
frontend/backend and IPv6)

davebrown099 at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 11:32 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

> Dave can I ask which mythtv version you are using? - I am using Mythtv
> .25 fixes from mythbuntu ppa.

Looks like JYA solved your issue

but im still on Ubuntu 11.10 (GNU/Linux 3.0.0-22-generic i686)

MythTV Version : v0.25.1-39-geffb32b
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120506-1
QT Version : 4.7.4

fredwattmythtv at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 12:14 PM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21/08/12 18:16, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 21 August 2012 16:45, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> 'MythTV on pc1.abc.co.uk' type '_airplay._tcp.' domain: 'local.'
> AirPlay relies on mDNS to be configure properly.
> pc1.abc.co.uk is unlikely a valid hostname, so pc1.abc.co.uk wouldn't
> be resolved properly.
>
> properly set your hostname on your machine, and make sure you run a
> recent version of myth (there was some issues when using a dual
> frontend/backend and IPv6)
Thanks for the input Jean-Yves. I did slightly change the domain names
my previous post to protect my identify. People scrap too much
information in public forums - I just added dud ones. It actually
wasn't that.

But... But your post got me thinking. I run a few frontends, and use
each pc's full domain name as the custom identifier. I do this as it
enables some custom python scripts to run on backends and slaves...
(that's detail).

But what I have just tried is to changing the custom identifier (In
general setup) to one without periods i.e. fred ... rather than
fred.mercury.co.uk ... and AirPlay works!! I can stream videos. It
seemed that using a full domain name (or a label with more than one set
of periods) causing issues for the client apps. Using a downloadable
bonjour browser I could see the local. address for myth and airplay no
matter what label I used... So I am not sure where it was not working.

So somewhere using periods in the custom identifier is causing the
AirPlay device not to appear. So if anyone else has problems have a
look at the label.

But now it works... I am blown away... this is truly great
functionality.... not upnp but I can use twonky mobile, and the other
apps mentioned (I prefer twonky as I run this as a server also).

Time to play... Hats off to the developer(s) who implemented this. This
is smart.

fredwattmythtv at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 12:23 PM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21/08/12 19:32, Dave Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail
> <mailto:fredwattmythtv [at] gmail>> wrote:
>

> Dave can I ask which mythtv version you are using? - I am using
> Mythtv .25 fixes from mythbuntu ppa.

> Looks like JYA solved your issue
>
> but im still on Ubuntu 11.10 (GNU/Linux 3.0.0-22-generic i686)
>
> MythTV Version : v0.25.1-39-geffb32b
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
> Network Protocol : 72
> Library API : 0.25.20120506-1
> QT Version : 4.7.4

Thanks Dave ... looks like we're almost running the same software - I'm
on Ubuntu 12.04.

MythTV Version : v0.25.2-15-g46cab93
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120506-1
QT Version : 4.8.1

Looks like great functionality.. shame you can't stream images... But
I'm massively impressed.

fredwattmythtv at gmail

Aug 22, 2012, 2:51 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On 21/08/12 18:13, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 21 August 2012 15:57, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>> device. Audio streaming from itunes verifies mythfrontend is operational
>> and it is very very good. I have to say xbmc's AirPlay is impressive it
>> just works and works for audio/video.
> ???
> MythFrontend has better AirPlay support than XBMC and is more feature
> complete when it comes to AirPlay
Very fair comment :) I actually believe that - taking a step back - it
has a better system architecture than XBMC. The client server model
gives it the flexibility that XBMC will never have until it's is split
into services (backend) / presenetation (front end). I also do not
want two media front ends it's just confusing, and doesn't help the
purpose of each app. I have been using MythFrontend for over 6 years
now, and long may that continue. It's exciting the way that mythtv is
developing.

Thank you for the AirPlay support yesterday. Everyone and everything
that goes into to MythTV is sincerely appreciated.

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Aug 26, 2012, 2:23 PM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 21/08/12 18:13, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>
>> On 21 August 2012 15:57, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>> device. Audio streaming from itunes verifies mythfrontend is operational
>>> and it is very very good. I have to say xbmc's AirPlay is impressive it
>>> just works and works for audio/video.
>>
>> ???
>> MythFrontend has better AirPlay support than XBMC and is more feature
>> complete when it comes to AirPlay
>
> Very fair comment :) I actually believe that - taking a step back - it has a
> better system architecture than XBMC. The client server model gives it the
> flexibility that XBMC will never have until it's is split into services
> (backend) / presenetation (front end). I also do not want two media front
> ends it's just confusing, and doesn't help the purpose of each app. I have
> been using MythFrontend for over 6 years now, and long may that continue.
> It's exciting the way that mythtv is developing.
>
> Thank you for the AirPlay support yesterday. Everyone and everything that
> goes into to MythTV is sincerely appreciated.

Do any of these let you send the audio/video from other apps? like if
I wanted to send the audio from Spotify on my Android to play through
the MythTV frontend?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

staffan.pettersson at gmail

Aug 27, 2012, 11:56 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

2012/8/26 Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail>:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Fred Watt <fredwattmythtv [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> ???
>>> MythFrontend has better AirPlay support than XBMC and is more feature
>>> complete when it comes to AirPlay
>>
>> Very fair comment :) I actually believe that - taking a step back - it has a
>> better system architecture than XBMC. The client server model gives it the
>> flexibility that XBMC will never have until it's is split into services
>> (backend) / presenetation (front end). I also do not want two media front
>> ends it's just confusing, and doesn't help the purpose of each app. I have
>> been using MythFrontend for over 6 years now, and long may that continue.
>> It's exciting the way that mythtv is developing.
>>
>> Thank you for the AirPlay support yesterday. Everyone and everything that
>> goes into to MythTV is sincerely appreciated.
>>

> Do any of these let you send the audio/video from other apps? like if
> I wanted to send the audio from Spotify on my Android to play through
> the MythTV frontend?
>
> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

No, I dont think there is an app for Android that lets you stream out
audio/video that way. I have searched for that kind of solution also.
What i do now is using pulseaudio from a linux machine and stream to
my main frontend. The only airplay app on android that i have been
able to get going is Imediashare. Imediashare works pretty god for
sreaming video and audio but youtube seems not to work :=(

nick.rout at gmail

Aug 27, 2012, 1:08 PM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Staffan Pettersson
<staffan.pettersson [at] gmail> wrote:
> 2012/8/26 Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail>:

>>> Very fair comment :) I actually believe that - taking a step back - it has a
>>> better system architecture than XBMC. The client server model gives it the
>>> flexibility that XBMC will never have until it's is split into services
>>> (backend) / presenetation (front end). I also do not want two media front
>>> ends it's just confusing, and doesn't help the purpose of each app. I have
>>> been using MythFrontend for over 6 years now, and long may that continue.
>>> It's exciting the way that mythtv is developing.
>>>
>>> Thank you for the AirPlay support yesterday. Everyone and everything that
>>> goes into to MythTV is sincerely appreciated.
>>>

>> Do any of these let you send the audio/video from other apps? like if
>> I wanted to send the audio from Spotify on my Android to play through
>> the MythTV frontend?
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
>> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
>> then search the Wiki, and this list,
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
>

> No, I dont think there is an app for Android that lets you stream out
> audio/video that way. I have searched for that kind of solution also.
> What i do now is using pulseaudio from a linux machine and stream to
> my main frontend. The only airplay app on android that i have been
> able to get going is Imediashare. Imediashare works pretty god for
> sreaming video and audio but youtube seems not to work :=(

It would be useful if myth worked as a upnp/dlna renderer. I have no
problems playing to XBMC's DLNA renderer or my LG TV's DLNA renderer
from imediashare on my Samsung S3.

staffan.pettersson at gmail

Aug 29, 2012, 12:37 AM

Re: Linux/Android AirPlay client [In reply to]

Hi

I am also wondering if upnp media rendering is being worked on? I tried
xbmc yesterday and was amazed how well it worked streaming from my android
smartphone. I used bubbleupnp an imediashare. Maybe this is working in
mythtv 0.26?

kind regards Staffan

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette