Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Volume is reduced during commercials

monkeypet at gmail

Aug 19, 2012, 9:00 AM

Volume is reduced during commercials

I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered about
50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I quit LiveTV
and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using 0.25/fixes. Is myth
doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?

mythtv-users at lists

Aug 19, 2012, 10:53 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

Monkey Pet wrote:
> I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
> about 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I
> quit LiveTV and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using
> 0.25/fixes. Is myth doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?

Usually people complain when the volume is higher during a commercial.
If Myth really does something to the volume I would take it as a feature
rather than a bug...

joe at thefrys

Aug 19, 2012, 11:40 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

> > I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
> > about 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I
> > quit LiveTV and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using
> > 0.25/fixes. Is myth doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?
>
> Usually people complain when the volume is higher during a commercial.
> If Myth really does something to the volume I would take it as a feature
> rather than a bug...
>
> I would wager that the commercials aren't broadcasting a 5.1 mix, so
mythtv is upmixing... one side effect of upmixing is that sometimes the
levels are a bit off in comparison to a true 5.1 signal.

You can disable upmixing and see if that helps... but it really does sound
like a problem I wish I had.

maisel at lobo

Aug 19, 2012, 11:54 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

Monkey Pet wrote:
> I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
> about 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I
> quit LiveTV and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using
> 0.25/fixes. Is myth doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?

icicimov at gmail

Aug 19, 2012, 4:02 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

I wish it happens on my box!
On Aug 20, 2012 2:00 AM, "Monkey Pet" <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:

> I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered about
> 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I quit LiveTV
> and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using 0.25/fixes. Is myth
> doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?

nick.rout at gmail

Aug 19, 2012, 4:29 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
> I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered about
> 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I quit LiveTV
> and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using 0.25/fixes. Is myth
> doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?

Fantastic, if you find the cause of this please let us know how it
works so the rest of us can have this feature! (Then again, why are
you watching ads?)

monkeypet at gmail

Aug 19, 2012, 10:37 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
> > I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
> about
> > 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I quit
> LiveTV
> > and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using 0.25/fixes. Is
> myth
> > doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?
>
> Fantastic, if you find the cause of this please let us know how it
> works so the rest of us can have this feature! (Then again, why are
> you watching ads?)

Upcovert is not checked. Audio Output device:
ALSA:plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1, Dolby Digital, DTS is checked. HBR
passthrough support is checked. Pulsaudio has been disabled. This is
unbuntu 12.04 running on an intel mac mini (1st gen).

Unfortunately, the low volume remains even after the commercials during the
real show (otherwise, i wouldn't be complaining).

mythtv-users at lists

Aug 20, 2012, 2:15 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

Monkey Pet wrote:

> Unfortunately, the low volume remains even after the commercials during
> the real show (otherwise, i wouldn't be complaining).

This piece of information would have been useful in your first message...

rparrish at gmail

Aug 20, 2012, 12:52 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

I have noticed a behavior similar to what the OP is describing:

Step 1. Recording starts with AC-3 2ch audio, so MythTV renders a PCM
2ch stream to send through audio output

NOTE: I have observed this behavior on my own setup by looking at the
indicators on my a/v receiver. I have upmixing disabled and Dolby
Digital Passthrough checked.

Step 2. Somewhere in the recording (possibly in a commercial), the
audio stream changes to 5.1ch. MythTV switches output to Dolby Digital
5.1

Step 3. When the main program returns from commercial, audio output
remains Dolby Digital, though 2-ch this time.

I have noticed that the rendered PCM stream does seem "louder" than
the same 2-ch audio passed through as AC-3.

To the original poster, does this explanation appear to work with your
observable information?

Thank you,
-Ray

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 20, 2012, 1:13 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

On 08/20/2012 03:52 PM, Ray Parrish wrote:
> I have noticed a behavior similar to what the OP is describing:
>
> Step 1. Recording starts with AC-3 2ch audio, so MythTV renders a PCM
> 2ch stream to send through audio output
>
> NOTE: I have observed this behavior on my own setup by looking at the
> indicators on my a/v receiver. I have upmixing disabled and Dolby
> Digital Passthrough checked.
>
> Step 2. Somewhere in the recording (possibly in a commercial), the
> audio stream changes to 5.1ch. MythTV switches output to Dolby Digital
> 5.1
>
> Step 3. When the main program returns from commercial, audio output
> remains Dolby Digital, though 2-ch this time.
>
> I have noticed that the rendered PCM stream does seem "louder" than
> the same 2-ch audio passed through as AC-3.
>
> To the original poster, does this explanation appear to work with your
> observable information?

FWIW, MythTV (and, more specifically, ffmpeg libraries) doesn't support
AC-3's dialnorm metadata parameter that provides playback gain
information. Therefore, when switching to/from AC-3, you're likely to
have volume differences.

This is also why volume in the commercials on some channels is much
louder (around here on my local (US) Fox, as one specific example).
Currently the only workaround is the volume button.

Mike

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 20, 2012, 1:58 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

Hi

On Monday, 20 August 2012, Ray Parrish wrote:

> Step 3. When the main program returns from commercial, audio output
> remains Dolby Digital, though 2-ch this time.

It shouldn't and if it does, it's a bug..

Can you provide a media sample of this so,I can track this?

Stereo AC3 will alway be decoded into PCM unless you've set up the number
of speakers as stereo.
Reason for this is to allow to toggle the up mixer or on off at any time.

joe at thefrys

Aug 20, 2012, 11:14 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

> On Monday, 20 August 2012, Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> Step 3. When the main program returns from commercial, audio output
>> remains Dolby Digital, though 2-ch this time.
>>

> It shouldn't and if it does, it's a bug..
>
> Can you provide a media sample of this so,I can track this?
>
> Stereo AC3 will alway be decoded into PCM unless you've set up the number
> of speakers as stereo.
> Reason for this is to allow to toggle the up mixer or on off at any time.

I noticed it myself today... probably been happening for a long time and I
never noticed until someone pointed it out. If I see it happen again I
will grab a file. It did appear to happen when skipping through the
commercials, I'm not sure if it would have happened during playback as I
have been watching livetv without noticing the issue most of the evening.

dbadia at gmail

Aug 21, 2012, 5:57 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

On Aug 20, 2012 1:37 AM, "Monkey Pet" <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
>> > I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
about
>> > 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I quit
LiveTV
>> > and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using 0.25/fixes. Is
myth
>> > doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?
>>
>> Fantastic, if you find the cause of this please let us know how it
>> works so the rest of us can have this feature! (Then again, why are
>> you watching ads?)
>

> Upcovert is not checked. Audio Output device:
ALSA:plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1, Dolby Digital, DTS is checked. HBR
passthrough support is checked. Pulsaudio has been disabled. This is
unbuntu 12.04 running on an intel mac mini (1st gen).

> Unfortunately, the low volume remains even after the commercials during
the real show (otherwise, i wouldn't be complaining).

Does this happen with just a specific show or a specfic channel?

I had this problem with only one program and the root cause was an issue at
my local affiliate :

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/502189?#502189

You can follow the steps in that thread to determine the source

Dave

monkeypet at gmail

Aug 26, 2012, 10:52 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Dave Badia <dbadia [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2012 1:37 AM, "Monkey Pet" <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> about
> LiveTV
> myth
> >>
> >> Fantastic, if you find the cause of this please let us know how it
> >> works so the rest of us can have this feature! (Then again, why are
> >> you watching ads?)
> >

> > Upcovert is not checked. Audio Output device:
> ALSA:plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1, Dolby Digital, DTS is checked. HBR
> passthrough support is checked. Pulsaudio has been disabled. This is
> unbuntu 12.04 running on an intel mac mini (1st gen).
> >
> > Unfortunately, the low volume remains even after the commercials during
> the real show (otherwise, i wouldn't be complaining).

> Does this happen with just a specific show or a specfic channel?

I have noticed it on Nickelodeon (device HDHR Prime w/ cablecard) when my
kids are watching Saturday morning cartoons. When I have time, I'll try to
root cause it using the link you provided below.

However, I think if Watch Live TV and tune to Nickelodeon for a few hours,
you should be able to reproduce it.

> I had this problem with only one program and the root cause was an issue
> at my local affiliate :
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/502189?#502189
>
> You can follow the steps in that thread to determine the source
>
> Dave

rparrish at gmail

Aug 26, 2012, 6:46 PM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

I have opened a ticket on trac as Jean-Yves suggested with a link to a
clip to demonstrate the behavior.

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11028

-Ray Parrish

roland.sh1000 at gmail

Aug 27, 2012, 9:01 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

> mythtv-users at lists wrote:
>
> > Monkey Pet wrote:
> > I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
> > about 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I
> > quit LiveTV and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using
> > 0.25/fixes. Is myth doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?
>
> Usually people complain when the volume is higher during a commercial.
> If Myth really does something to the volume I would take it as a feature
> rather than a bug...

Being 100% serious, I would LOVE to have a feature where the volume is
halved during commercials!

On the channels I watch, the commercial detection isn't 100%
reliable... so I don't have MythTV set to auto-skip. Instead, I have
it notify, and then I manually skip with the remote. But in the mean
time, there are HUGE volume swings because the commercials are so
loud.

If the volume could be dropped automatically by a pre-set amount
during the detected commercials, this would be a fantastic feature!

(Is there a formal way to suggest or request features like this?)

Thanks
- rsh1k

joe at thefrys

Aug 27, 2012, 9:10 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

> > > Monkey Pet wrote:
> > > I am watching TV and during the commercials, the volume gets lowered
> > > about 50%. My sound is configured for AC3 passthru. However, then I
> > > quit LiveTV and re-enter it, the volume level is restored. Using
> > > 0.25/fixes. Is myth doing anything to incorrectly manage volume levels?
> >
> > Usually people complain when the volume is higher during a commercial.
> > If Myth really does something to the volume I would take it as a feature
> > rather than a bug...
>

> Being 100% serious, I would LOVE to have a feature where the volume is
> halved during commercials!
>
> On the channels I watch, the commercial detection isn't 100%
> reliable... so I don't have MythTV set to auto-skip. Instead, I have
> it notify, and then I manually skip with the remote. But in the mean
> time, there are HUGE volume swings because the commercials are so
> loud.
>
> If the volume could be dropped automatically by a pre-set amount
> during the detected commercials, this would be a fantastic feature!
>

> (Is there a formal way to suggest or request features like this?)

Even if there were... not sure how it would solve your problem.

If commercial detection works, you could auto skip... if it doesn't why
would you want to have your show running at 50% volume for some duration.
Inevitably you would need to crank up your volume to compensate then get
blasted when the incorrectly detected commercial ended.

Not a feature I see getting implemented anytime soon.

roland.sh1000 at gmail

Aug 27, 2012, 9:17 AM

Re: Volume is reduced during commercials [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Joseph Fry <joe [at] thefrys> wrote:

>> Being 100% serious, I would LOVE to have a feature where the volume is
>> halved during commercials!
>>
>> On the channels I watch, the commercial detection isn't 100%
>> reliable... so I don't have MythTV set to auto-skip. Instead, I have
>> it notify, and then I manually skip with the remote. But in the mean
>> time, there are HUGE volume swings because the commercials are so
>> loud.
>>
>> If the volume could be dropped automatically by a pre-set amount
>> during the detected commercials, this would be a fantastic feature!
>>

>> (Is there a formal way to suggest or request features like this?)
>

> Even if there were... not sure how it would solve your problem.
>
> If commercial detection works, you could auto skip... if it doesn't why
> would you want to have your show running at 50% volume for some duration.
> Inevitably you would need to crank up your volume to compensate then get
> blasted when the incorrectly detected commercial ended.
>
> Not a feature I see getting implemented anytime soon.

You are right, that is a potential downfall.

But if the volume drop during commercials was adjustable, I could set
it to something modest - say a 10-20% drop instead of a 50% drop - and
it would still keep us from being blasted, but not make it *too* quiet
if the commercial detection has a miss.

Perhaps an alternate method would be to have the volume drop any time
the user fast forwards or rewinds... and then ramps back up within 1/2
to 1 second or so after the action? This would take some of the
"edge" off of the loud commercials when manually fast forwarding,
without leaving you stuck listening to your program at a low volume.

- rsh1k