Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

v4l media_build won't compile in Mythbuntu 12.04

sven.bretfeld at gmx

Aug 18, 2012, 2:35 PM

v4l media_build won't compile in Mythbuntu 12.04

Hi

I desperately try to install the latest v4l drivers under Mythhbuntu
12.04. I need to apply a patch to them. Therefore I don't use the build
script.

# git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
# cd media_build
# make download untar

Already the patch I'm trying to apply has a problem, since the latest
media_build obviously has changed its directory structure. The path to
dvbdev.c is no longer /drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvbdev.c but
/drivers/media/dvb-core/dvbdev.c. After deleting every occurrence of the
now superficial /dvb/ in the patch-file, the patch applies.

# make -j5

sometimes runs smoothly after installing libv4l-dev (which was not necessary with
earlier versions of media_build), sometimes "make" fails because patches
could not be applied. I don't know why. If "make" succeeds, then:

# make install

works too. Then:

After rebooting my DVB-C cards (Terratec Sinergy, PCI) are no longer
recognized. This is probably because budget-core and budget-av are no
longer working.

lsmod | grep dvb

returns dvb-core but budget-core and budget-av needed for my cards are
not loaded.

modprobe budget-core

gives:

FATAL: Error inserting budget_core
(/lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic/kernel/drivers/media/pci/ttpci/budget-core.ko):
Invalid argument

Same for budget-av. It seems that there is an incompatibility between
Mythbuntu 12.04 and the latest media_build.

This is so since roughly two months. I could help myself by booting into
older kernels. But now I have a new machine and have to install from
scratch.

What can I do? Help really appreciated.

Sven

J.Pilk at tesco

Aug 18, 2012, 3:23 PM

Re: v4l media_build won't compile in Mythbuntu 12.04 [In reply to]

On 18/08/12 22:35, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> Hi
>
> I desperately try to install the latest v4l drivers under Mythhbuntu
> 12.04. I need to apply a patch to them. Therefore I don't use the build
> script.
>
> # git clone git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
> # cd media_build
> # make download untar
>
> Already the patch I'm trying to apply has a problem, since the latest
> media_build obviously has changed its directory structure. The path to
> dvbdev.c is no longer /drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvbdev.c but
> /drivers/media/dvb-core/dvbdev.c. After deleting every occurrence of the
> now superficial /dvb/ in the patch-file, the patch applies.
>
> # make -j5
>
> sometimes runs smoothly after installing libv4l-dev (which was not necessary with
> earlier versions of media_build), sometimes "make" fails because patches
> could not be applied. I don't know why. If "make" succeeds, then:
>
> # make install
>
> works too. Then:
>
> After rebooting my DVB-C cards (Terratec Sinergy, PCI) are no longer
> recognized. This is probably because budget-core and budget-av are no
> longer working.
>
> lsmod | grep dvb
>
> returns dvb-core but budget-core and budget-av needed for my cards are
> not loaded.
>
> modprobe budget-core
>
> gives:
>
> FATAL: Error inserting budget_core
> (/lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic/kernel/drivers/media/pci/ttpci/budget-core.ko):
> Invalid argument
>
> Same for budget-av. It seems that there is an incompatibility between
> Mythbuntu 12.04 and the latest media_build.
>
> This is so since roughly two months. I could help myself by booting into
> older kernels. But now I have a new machine and have to install from
> scratch.
>
> What can I do? Help really appreciated.
>
> Sven

I'm probably just revealing my ignorance here, but I thought the
mediabuild script was intended to allow old kernels to use new hardware.
You have the opposite. Should you be looking elsewhere?

John P