Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

help moving recordings to video

mikkel at broerne

Aug 17, 2012, 3:03 AM

help moving recordings to video

Hey,

The length of our Recordings list has surpassed are ability
to filter out what is "worth watching". My thought was therefore to move
all recorded movies to Videos.

This would also provide more info to
review the unwatched movies.

I have therefore attempted to use
mythvidexport.py

Currently running .24+fixes and have other jobs that
work just fine.

All I did was:

1) Placed the file in /usr/bin
providing needed permissions

2) Created a job
/usr/bin/mythvidexport.py %JOBID%

The only thing that happens is the
job is added to the job queue… and then the job just sits there.

Am I
missing something?

Cheers

Mik

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 17, 2012, 7:11 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 08/17/2012 06:03 AM, mikkel wrote:
> The length of our Recordings list has surpassed are ability to filter
> out what is "worth watching". My thought was therefore to move all
> recorded movies to Videos.
>
> This would also provide more info to review the unwatched movies.

This is exactly what I'm trying to convince people of--that Video
Library (MythVideo in 0.24) is a /much/ better location for keeping a
large collection of videos, and it makes sense to move any recordings
you plan to archive (movies or TV) to Video Library for long-term
storage. (And, more importantly, that it makes absolutely no sense to
try to "import" video of any kind--even recorded from a previous setup
of MythTV--into Watch Recordings when a) it's so much easier to put into
Video Library, b) Video Library was designed to handle any user-managed
video content, c) Video Library has excellent metadata for both movies
and TV, d) Video Library allows you to name the recording using a name
that will tell what's in the video if you ever lose your MythTV
database, e) Video Library allows hierarchical views allowing
user-defined organization, and f) Video Library makes it easy to filter
on any of a number of pieces of metadata (rather than only on recording
group).

In other words, I'm glad you chose this approach, and I'm glad that
you're helping others to see why it's so much better than keeping large
collections of video in Watch Recordings.

> I have therefore attempted to use mythvidexport.py
>
> Currently running .24+fixes and have other jobs that work just fine.
>
> All I did was:
>
> 1) Placed the file in /usr/bin providing needed permissions
>
> 2) Created a job /usr/bin/mythvidexport.py %JOBID%
>
> The only thing that happens is the job is added to the job queue… and
> then the job just sits there.
>
> Am I missing something?

Jobs must be enabled on one or more backends to actually allow
execution. By default all user jobs are disabled. You'll need to go into
mythtv-setup on one or more backend systems and change, "Allow User Job
#1 jobs" to enabled. The backends on which you enable the job will need
to be restarted for it to begin processing the jobs, but there's no need
to re-queue the jobs.

Mike

joe at thefrys

Aug 17, 2012, 7:16 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

> Hey,
>
> The length of our Recordings list has surpassed are ability to filter out
> what is "worth watching". My thought was therefore to move all recorded
> movies to Videos.
>
> This would also provide more info to review the unwatched movies.
>
> I have therefore attempted to use mythvidexport.py
>
> Currently running .24+fixes and have other jobs that work just fine.
>
> All I did was:
>
> 1) Placed the file in /usr/bin providing needed permissions
>
> 2) Created a job /usr/bin/mythvidexport.py %JOBID%
>
> The only thing that happens is the job is added to the job queue… and then
> the job just sits there.
>
> Am I missing something?

How are your processing rules set. If you defined times when jobs are
allowed to run, or restricted the system to running just 1 job, then you
may have to wait for the job's turn to run.

As far as I know, there is no "run this job now" option, you submit a job
and it gets added to the queue just like any other.

mikkel at broerne

Aug 17, 2012, 7:29 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

AM, mikkel wrote:

>> The length of our Recordings list has surpassed
are ability to filter out what is "worth watching". My thought was
therefore to move all recorded movies to Videos. This would also provide
more info to review the unwatched movies.

> This is exactly what I'm
trying to convince people of--that Video
> Library (MythVideo in 0.24)
is a /much/ better location for keeping a
> large collection of videos,
and it makes sense to move any recordings
> you plan to archive (movies
or TV) to Video Library for long-term
> storage. (And, more
importantly, that it makes absolutely no sense to
> try to "import"
video of any kind--even recorded from a previous setup
> of
MythTV--into Watch Recordings when a) it's so much easier to put into

Video Library, b) Video Library was designed to handle any user-managed

> video content, c) Video Library has excellent metadata for both
movies
> and TV, d) Video Library allows you to name the recording
using a name
> that will tell what's in the video if you ever lose your
MythTV
> database, e) Video Library allows hierarchical views allowing

> user-defined organization, and f) Video Library makes it easy to
filter
> on any of a number of pieces of metadata (rather than only on
recording
> group).
>
> In other words, I'm glad you chose this
approach, and I'm glad that
> you're helping others to see why it's so
much better than keeping large
> collections of video in Watch
Recordings.

>> I have therefore attempted to use mythvidexport.py
Currently running .24+fixes and have other jobs that work just fine. All
I did was: 1) Placed the file in /usr/bin providing needed permissions
2) Created a job /usr/bin/mythvidexport.py %JOBID% The only thing that
happens is the job is added to the job queue… and then the job just sits
there. Am I missing something?

> Jobs must be enabled on one or more
backends to actually allow
> execution. By default all user jobs are
disabled. You'll need to go into
> mythtv-setup on one or more backend
systems and change, "Allow User Job
> #1 jobs" to enabled. The backends
on which you enable the job will need
> to be restarted for it to begin
processing the jobs, but there's no need
> to re-queue the jobs.

Mike

Arg! Yes, that
could be it (need to enable the job).

I set it up in mythweb and only
justed checked if everything look right in the BE and may have forgotten
to check the enable.

So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?

cheers

Mik

mikkel at broerne

Aug 17, 2012, 7:30 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 17-08-2012 16:16, Joseph Fry wrote:

>> Hey,
>>
>> The length
of our Recordings list has surpassed are ability to filter out what is
"worth watching". My thought was therefore to move all recorded movies
to Videos.

>> This would also provide more info to review the
unwatched movies.

>> I have therefore attempted to use
mythvidexport.py

>> Currently running .24+fixes and have other jobs
that work just fine.

>> All I did was:
>>
>> 1) Placed the file
in /usr/bin providing needed permissions

>> 2) Created a job
/usr/bin/mythvidexport.py %JOBID%

>> The only thing that happens is
the job is added to the job queue… and then the job just sits there.

>> Am I missing something?
>
> How are your processing rules set. If
you defined times when jobs are allowed to run, or restricted the system
to running just 1 job, then you may have to wait for the job's turn to
run.
> As far as I know, there is no "run this job now" option, you
submit a job and it gets added to the queue just like any other.

Thanks
for the input.

I have had them in the queue for 3 days ;-D

Cheers

Mik

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 17, 2012, 8:11 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 08/17/2012 10:29 AM, mikkel wrote:

> So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?

Yes. Very much so. Raymond Wagner did a great job making that script,
which is extremely useful.

And the use of Video Library for anything other than short-term storage
of shows to be watched & deleted from Watch Recordings--since it has a
much better UI for managing a lot of video (as you saw, scrolling
through lots of recordings and finding what you want to watch is
challenging in Watch Recordings).

A friend--who has been using MythTV with me since 0.13 days, so was used
to having everything in Watch Recordings (MythVideo/Video Library was
very different back then and didn't have a lot of its current
capabilities)--asked me about how to import some of the kids' shows he
had ripped from DVD to Watch Recordings, along with other episodes in
the series he had recorded. He really only wanted to group all the kids
shows together into an area that made it easy for the kids to access. I
told him he was dong it wrong and should move the recordings to Video
Library, along with the DVD rips, and helped him set it up using
mythvidexport.py. When done, he liked the setup much better than Watch
Recordings. And, he was even able to set up the default filter on the
kids' MythTV frontend to show the Kids videos, only. At that
point--when a "real" user began singing its praises--I decided the
approach was one more people should be using, and have been trying to
show others how nice it can be ever since. (Sometimes I'm not sure
whether an approach makes sense to me, but would be difficult/nonsense
for "real" users--as I'm more of a hacker who spends too much time on
his systems than someone who just wants to use MythTV.)

Mike

jedi at mishnet

Aug 17, 2012, 9:12 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:11:06AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/17/2012 10:29 AM, mikkel wrote:
> >
> >So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?
> >

> Yes. Very much so. Raymond Wagner did a great job making that
> script, which is extremely useful.
>
> And the use of Video Library for anything other than short-term
> storage of shows to be watched & deleted from Watch
> Recordings--since it has a much better UI for managing a lot of
> video (as you saw, scrolling through lots of recordings and finding
> what you want to watch is challenging in Watch Recordings).

You can set up Watch Recordings so it's very much like the sort
of layout you would see in mythvideo. I have recording groups set up
for each of my recording rules and just display recordings based on
that.

[deletia]

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 17, 2012, 9:34 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 08/17/2012 12:12 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:11:06AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/17/2012 10:29 AM, mikkel wrote:
>>> So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?
>>>
>> Yes. Very much so. Raymond Wagner did a great job making that
>> script, which is extremely useful.
>>
>> And the use of Video Library for anything other than short-term
>> storage of shows to be watched& deleted from Watch
>> Recordings--since it has a much better UI for managing a lot of
>> video (as you saw, scrolling through lots of recordings and finding
>> what you want to watch is challenging in Watch Recordings).
> You can set up Watch Recordings so it's very much like the sort
> of layout you would see in mythvideo. I have recording groups set up
> for each of my recording rules and just display recordings based on
> that.

You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings. You can't specify
sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
...). You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime,
rating... You /only/ get recording groups. You only get one recording
group per recording. You can choose to show in the left column All
Programs, titles, recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show
titles, you have a ton to scroll through when your collection gets
large. If you use recording groups like you said, displaying recording
groups in the left means you'll have a ton to scroll through. It's
/much/ more clumsy than Video Library--because Video Library was
designed for working with a large collection (er, library?) of videos;
whereas Watch Recordings was designed for working with a smaller set of
"what was recently recorded."

Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video. If
you haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion
off old versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.

Mike

moores.martin at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 11:58 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 17 August 2012 17:34, Michael T. Dean <mtdean [at] thirdcontact> wrote:

> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings. You can't specify
> sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
> allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
> only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
> ...). You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime, rating...
> You /only/ get recording groups. You only get one recording group per
> recording. You can choose to show in the left column All Programs, titles,
> recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show titles, you have a ton
> to scroll through when your collection gets large. If you use recording
> groups like you said, displaying recording groups in the left means you'll
> have a ton to scroll through. It's /much/ more clumsy than Video
> Library--because Video Library was designed for working with a large
> collection (er, library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed
> for working with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>
> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video. If you
> haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion off old
> versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>
> Mike

Some useful info in this thread, thanks.

On the topic of moving videos to mythvideo, I posted a while ago with maybe
a slightly non-standard case:

- To move a recording to mythvideo with ads removed (transcoded, rather
than just with a cut list)
- To have the resulting file saved to a custom directory, rather than
the default recordings directory

Is there a way of doing this? I posted the script I was trying in the
other thread, which I had no joy with. Not had much chance to look again
since I last posted, so will have another look this weekend, just moved
house, so a bit all over the place at the moment!!

Cheers

Martin

joe at thefrys

Aug 17, 2012, 2:05 PM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

>> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings. You can't specify
>> sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
>> allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
>> only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
>> ...). You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime, rating...
>> You /only/ get recording groups. You only get one recording group per
>> recording. You can choose to show in the left column All Programs, titles,
>> recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show titles, you have a ton
>> to scroll through when your collection gets large. If you use recording
>> groups like you said, displaying recording groups in the left means you'll
>> have a ton to scroll through. It's /much/ more clumsy than Video
>> Library--because Video Library was designed for working with a large
>> collection (er, library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed
>> for working with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>>
>> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video. If
>> you haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion off
>> old versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Some useful info in this thread, thanks.
>
> On the topic of moving videos to mythvideo, I posted a while ago with
> maybe a slightly non-standard case:
>
> - To move a recording to mythvideo with ads removed (transcoded,
> rather than just with a cut list)
> - To have the resulting file saved to a custom directory, rather than
> the default recordings directory
>
> Is there a way of doing this? I posted the script I was trying in the
> other thread, which I had no joy with. Not had much chance to look again
> since I last posted, so will have another look this weekend, just moved
> house, so a bit all over the place at the moment!!

You should be able to just replace the default transcode command with
whatever you wish to run, perhaps a script. See:
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2011-September/320560.html

michael at thewatsonfamily

Aug 17, 2012, 4:24 PM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 18/08/2012 2:34 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/17/2012 12:12 PM, jedi wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yes. Very much so. Raymond Wagner did a great job making that
>>> script, which is extremely useful.
>>>
>>> And the use of Video Library for anything other than short-term
>>> storage of shows to be watched& deleted from Watch
>>> Recordings--since it has a much better UI for managing a lot of
>>> video (as you saw, scrolling through lots of recordings and finding
>>> what you want to watch is challenging in Watch Recordings).
>> You can set up Watch Recordings so it's very much like the sort
>> of layout you would see in mythvideo. I have recording groups set up
>> for each of my recording rules and just display recordings based on
>> that.
>>

> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings. You can't
> specify sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend
> setting that allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or
> program ID, only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating,
> runtime, filename, ...). You can't do filtering on country, actors,
> year, runtime, rating... You /only/ get recording groups. You only
> get one recording group per recording. You can choose to show in the
> left column All Programs, titles, recording groups, and/or categories,
> but if you show titles, you have a ton to scroll through when your
> collection gets large. If you use recording groups like you said,
> displaying recording groups in the left means you'll have a ton to
> scroll through. It's /much/ more clumsy than Video Library--because
> Video Library was designed for working with a large collection (er,
> library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed for working
> with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>
> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video. If
> you haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion
> off old versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>
> Mike

This approach works well, if you want to keep the material, I dont, but
would like a better way to display the recorded shows.
It would be good to be able to setup a "Category", and then select which
shows would be grouped into that category, rather than rely on the guide
data.

I record a lot of kids shows, and use rules like "keep at most 5, and
delete oldest". Its useless grouping by category, as many kids shows
are in animation, or animated, or childrens, and several other
categories (This is the fault of poor guide data, not Myth's fault)

newmank1 at asme

Aug 17, 2012, 8:36 PM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Michael Watson
<michael [at] thewatsonfamily> wrote:
> On 18/08/2012 2:34 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> You can set up Watch Recordings so it's very much like the sort
>>> of layout you would see in mythvideo. I have recording groups set up
>>> for each of my recording rules and just display recordings based on
>>> that.
>>>

>> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings. You can't specify
>> sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
>> allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
>> only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
>> ...). You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime, rating...
>> You /only/ get recording groups. You only get one recording group per
>> recording. You can choose to show in the left column All Programs, titles,
>> recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show titles, you have a ton
>> to scroll through when your collection gets large. If you use recording
>> groups like you said, displaying recording groups in the left means you'll
>> have a ton to scroll through. It's /much/ more clumsy than Video
>> Library--because Video Library was designed for working with a large
>> collection (er, library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed
>> for working with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>>
>> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video. If you
>> haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion off old
>> versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>>
>> Mike
>

> This approach works well, if you want to keep the material, I dont, but
> would like a better way to display the recorded shows.
> It would be good to be able to setup a "Category", and then select which
> shows would be grouped into that category, rather than rely on the guide
> data.
>
> I record a lot of kids shows, and use rules like "keep at most 5, and delete
> oldest". Its useless grouping by category, as many kids shows are in
> animation, or animated, or childrens, and several other categories (This is
> the fault of poor guide data, not Myth's fault)

If you're talking about keeping them in the Recordings, you can create
a recording group for those shows, then set up those recording rules
to put the shows into that group. I don't know if there's an
equivalent function in the Videos, but you could stick them all in the
same folder which would probably accomplish the same thing.

Karl

mythtv at tapanitarvainen

Aug 17, 2012, 9:25 PM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:11:06AM -0400, Michael T. Dean (mtdean [at] thirdcontact) wrote:

> On 08/17/2012 10:29 AM, mikkel wrote:
> >
> >So, you support the use of mythvidexport.py?
> >

> Yes. Very much so. Raymond Wagner did a great job making that
> script, which is extremely useful.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me, due to three limitations:

First, it crashes whenever there're non-ASCII letters in filenames
(which is the case for maybe half of my recordings).
Two, it loses metadata (and retrieving metadata from the net
afterwards doesn't work for 90%+ of my recordings).
Three, it loses commercial detection data (and as far as I can tell,
there's no way to redo that afterwards either).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix or overcome those,
I'd be very grateful.
(I've already thought to study enough Python and mythtv internals
to fix the script myself, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to
manage that.)

--
Tapani Tarvainen

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 17, 2012, 10:43 PM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 08/17/2012 11:36 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Michael Watson wrote:

>>> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings. You can't specify
>>> sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
>>> allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
>>> only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
>>> ...). You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime, rating...
>>> You /only/ get recording groups. You only get one recording group per
>>> recording. You can choose to show in the left column All Programs, titles,
>>> recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show titles, you have a ton
>>> to scroll through when your collection gets large. If you use recording
>>> groups like you said, displaying recording groups in the left means you'll
>>> have a ton to scroll through. It's /much/ more clumsy than Video
>>> Library--because Video Library was designed for working with a large
>>> collection (er, library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed
>>> for working with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>>>
>>> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video. If you
>>> haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion off old
>>> versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> This approach works well, if you want to keep the material, I dont, but
>> would like a better way to display the recorded shows.
>> It would be good to be able to setup a "Category", and then select which
>> shows would be grouped into that category, rather than rely on the guide
>> data.
>>
>> I record a lot of kids shows, and use rules like "keep at most 5, and delete
>> oldest". Its useless grouping by category, as many kids shows are in
>> animation, or animated, or childrens, and several other categories (This is
>> the fault of poor guide data, not Myth's fault)
> If you're talking about keeping them in the Recordings, you can create
> a recording group for those shows, then set up those recording rules
> to put the shows into that group. I don't know if there's an
> equivalent function in the Videos, but you could stick them all in the
> same folder which would probably accomplish the same thing.

Yeah, what's called category in TV (the category, as provided by the
listings) maps to what's called genre in Video Library
(metadata-source-defined genre). What's called recording groups
(user-defined groups) in TV maps to what's called category in Video
Library (user-defined categories).

So, the folder/location of the videos in Video Library essentially
becomes a "secondary" user-defined grouping, which also allows further
classification through hierarchical organization.

Mike

michael at thewatsonfamily

Aug 18, 2012, 12:13 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

Thanks, I'll look into that.

moores.martin at gmail

Aug 18, 2012, 12:50 AM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 17 August 2012 22:05, Joseph Fry <joe [at] thefrys> wrote:

> You should be able to just replace the default transcode command with
> whatever you wish to run, perhaps a script. See:
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2011-September/320560.html

Thanks Joseph, I'll look into that, time to learn a bit of scripting under
Linux. Might drop the OP of that thread a note to see if he might share
his script.

I'll be back on this one I'm sure

Martin

mikkel at broerne

Aug 18, 2012, 12:30 PM

Re: help moving recordings to video [In reply to]

On 18-08-2012 6:25, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012
at 11:11:06AM -0400, Michael T. Dean (mtdean [at] thirdcontact) wrote:

>> On 08/17/2012 10:29 AM, mikkel wrote:
>>
>>> So, you support the
use of mythvidexport.py?
>> Yes. Very much so. Raymond Wagner did a
great job making that script, which is extremely useful.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me, due to three limitations:

First, it crashes whenever there're non-ASCII letters in filena mes

(which is the case for maybe half of my recordings).
> Two, it loses
metadata (and retrieving metadata from the net
> afterwards doesn't work
for 90%+ of my recordings).
> Three, it loses commercial detection data
(and as far as I can tell,
> there's no way to redo that afterwards
either).

> If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix or overcome
those,
> I'd be very grateful.
> (I've already thought to study enough
Python and mythtv internals
> to fix the script myself, but I'm not sure
if I'll be able to
> manage that.)

well I got it working that is the
script, but I to get an ascii error on some of the recordings. I am from
Denmark so I guess it is the Danish letters that give the errors . all
the other features look to work.

it is however unfortunate that the
ascii error occurs. i hope there is a fix for this.

cheers for all the
input.

Mik