Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Motorola Nyxboard

richard.e.morton at gmail

Aug 16, 2012, 12:07 PM

Motorola Nyxboard

Hi,

I have been looking for a new remote for my system and I have been coveting
the (dual-sided remote) Motorola Nyxboard for sometime.
It is a HID device and the remote keys are preset to specific keyboard
buttons, not all of them are entirely satsfactory from what I can see.

This article has a complete list key-mapping of the remote side of the
device
http://www.missingremote.com/review/pulse-eight-motorola-nyxboard-hybrid-wireless-keyboard-and-ir-remote

Has anyone had any success with getting this to work with Myth (sensibly -
as in keys do sensible things compared to their labels)?
Anyone prepared to share the secret sauce?

Thanks

imntreal at gmail

Aug 16, 2012, 1:46 PM

Re: Motorola Nyxboard [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton [at] gmail> wrote:
> I have been looking for a new remote for my system and I have been coveting
> the (dual-sided remote) Motorola Nyxboard for sometime.
>
> Has anyone had any success with getting this to work with Myth (sensibly -
> as in keys do sensible things compared to their labels)?
> Anyone prepared to share the secret sauce?

I'm really thinking about picking one of these up. I'm currently
using a ATI RemoteWonder because in my projector setup, my MCE remote
wouldn't reach across the room, and back. I picked up a PS3 BD remote
because of some of the issues that come with the ATI, and I managed to
get it working, but every time it would timeout and disconnect, it was
a huge process to get it working, again.

If I do buy one, and get it working well, I'll report back.

=-Jameson

richard.e.morton at gmail

Aug 18, 2012, 4:03 AM

Re: Motorola Nyxboard [In reply to]

I have bought one and received it. The solutions available to use this with
myth seem to be
1 reconfigure the key mappings to match the remote as the remote appears as
a USB keyboard (however the remote uses media keys such as volume+/- and I
am unsure if the key mapping supports this)
2. Use lirc to grab the device, intercept the key presses and redirect
them. However... the device appears as a single hid device but there are
two discrete functions. When on the remote side we want translation to
occur and when on the keyboard side we will not want any input translation.
I understand that a signal is sent when the remote is turned over which we
may be able to use to turn the input translation on and off (especially if
the signal use for being turned over to remote side and keyboard side is
different)
3. Use the remote in IR mode and the keyboard as a hid device. This is
surely the simplest solution but requires an ir receiver and an ref
receiver.

Any other ideas.

Please excuse brevity and pistakes as this email was composed on a mobile
phone.
Best regards,
Richard
On Aug 16, 2012 9:46 PM, "Jameson" <imntreal [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton [at] gmail> wrote:
> > I have been looking for a new remote for my system and I have been
> coveting
> > the (dual-sided remote) Motorola Nyxboard for sometime.
> >
> > Has anyone had any success with getting this to work with Myth (sensibly
> -
> > as in keys do sensible things compared to their labels)?
> > Anyone prepared to share the secret sauce?
>
> I'm really thinking about picking one of these up. I'm currently
> using a ATI RemoteWonder because in my projector setup, my MCE remote
> wouldn't reach across the room, and back. I picked up a PS3 BD remote
> because of some of the issues that come with the ATI, and I managed to
> get it working, but every time it would timeout and disconnect, it was
> a huge process to get it working, again.
>
> If I do buy one, and get it working well, I'll report back.
>
> =-Jameson

imntreal at gmail

Aug 18, 2012, 9:27 PM

Re: Motorola Nyxboard [In reply to]

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton [at] gmail> wrote:
> I have bought one and received it. The solutions available to use this with
> myth seem to be
> 1 reconfigure the key mappings to match the remote as the remote appears as
> a USB keyboard (however the remote uses media keys such as volume+/- and I
> am unsure if the key mapping supports this)

This is actually ideal for me. I'm using Gnome shortcuts to cause
volume +/- to run a script that changes the volume on my A/V receiver.

=-Jameson