Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels

cgdennis at btinternet

Aug 15, 2012, 10:18 AM

mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels

Hello MythTV people

I've put together a script which makes it easy to maintain a list of
channel names, numbers, visibility flags etc., and keep it in sync with
the MythTV database.

I've put the script on GitHub at
https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk and added a note to the
wiki page at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments

I hope people find it useful -- please let me know if you do (or don't).

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

mikep at randomtraveller

Aug 15, 2012, 10:29 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 15/08/12 18:18, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello MythTV people
>
> I've put together a script which makes it easy to maintain a list of channel
> names, numbers, visibility flags etc., and keep it in sync with the MythTV
> database.
>
> I've put the script on GitHub at https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk
> and added a note to the wiki page at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments
>
> I hope people find it useful -- please let me know if you do (or don't).

Note. A significant number of Freeview channels will be renumbered during
September into a new grouping scheme. (Yet another scan!) I believe this is a
cross-country move. You'll need to update your script to cater for that.

Caveat: I'm not sure that every transmitter is being updated at the same time.

--

Mike Perkins

cgdennis at btinternet

Aug 15, 2012, 10:58 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 15/08/12 18:29, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 15/08/12 18:18, Chris Dennis wrote:
>> Hello MythTV people
>>
>> I've put together a script which makes it easy to maintain a list of
>> channel
>> names, numbers, visibility flags etc., and keep it in sync with the
>> MythTV
>> database.
>>
>> I've put the script on GitHub at
>> https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk
>> and added a note to the wiki page at
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments
>>
>> I hope people find it useful -- please let me know if you do (or don't).
>>
> Note. A significant number of Freeview channels will be renumbered
> during September into a new grouping scheme.

> (Yet another scan!) I
> believe this is a cross-country move. You'll need to update your script
> to cater for that.
>
> Caveat: I'm not sure that every transmitter is being updated at the same
> time.

Does that mean that channels will get new service ids? If so, then
there will be some extra editing to do.

But my script is designed to make it easy to incorporate changes to the
tuned channels, so the changes in September will be an interesting test
for it.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken

Aug 15, 2012, 11:50 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 15.08.2012 19:58, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Does that mean that channels will get new service ids? If so, then there
> will be some extra editing to do.

when I asked Google about it lately the answer was that the
Logical Channel Numbers are being reordered.

Regards,
Karl

cgdennis at btinternet

Aug 15, 2012, 12:57 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 15/08/12 19:50, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 15.08.2012 19:58, Chris Dennis wrote:
>> Does that mean that channels will get new service ids? If so, then there
>> will be some extra editing to do.
>
> when I asked Google about it lately the answer was that the
> Logical Channel Numbers are being reordered.

OK, that's easy then. mythupchuk is designed to override the automatic
channel numbers to ones of the user's own choosing, so it won't be upset
by this change. (On the other hand, if you like the standard numbering,
mythupchuk can do that too.)

For information, I found a document[1] that specifies these changes, and
provides this table:

Proposed change to the LCN listings
Proposed LCN listing Current LCN listing
Genre: First LCN Last LCN First LCN Last LCN
General Entertainment 1 99 1 49
60 69
Local - - 200 c.205
HD 101 109 50 59
Children's 110 119 70 79
News 120 139 80 89
Text and MHEG services 200 299 100 120
Adult services 300 349 92 99
189 199
Interactive services 350 399 300 320
IP delivered services 400 499 N/A
Radio 700 750 700 750

cheers

Chris

[1]
http://www.dmol.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/76898/DMOL_LCN_Consultation_29_March_2012.pdf

--
Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

raymond at wagnerrp

Aug 15, 2012, 7:14 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 8/15/2012 13:18, Chris Dennis wrote:

> https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk

As always, consider using the Perl bindings to parse the config.xml for
you and produce a database connection.

cgdennis at btinternet

Aug 16, 2012, 12:04 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 16/08/12 03:14, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 8/15/2012 13:18, Chris Dennis wrote:
>>
>> https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk
>
> As always, consider using the Perl bindings to parse the config.xml for
> you and produce a database connection.

Good idea -- thanks for that.

I've changed the script accordingly, and completed the documentation,
and updated it all on Github.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

chris at westnet

Aug 17, 2012, 9:16 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Chris Dennis wrote:

> I've put the script on GitHub at
> https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk

OK, did anyone else read this subject and think "well that's an interesting
way of saying his myth machine crashed. I've heard of servers "barfing"
garbage output but never "upchuck" . . .

No ? Just me ?
:-)

cgdennis at btinternet

Aug 18, 2012, 4:19 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 18/08/12 05:16, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Chris Dennis wrote:
>
>> I've put the script on GitHub at
>> https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk
>
> OK, did anyone else read this subject and think "well that's an interesting
> way of saying his myth machine crashed. I've heard of servers "barfing"
> garbage output but never "upchuck" . . .
>
> No ? Just me ?

Just you apparently. It might catch on though.

I thought that name for the script might amuse someone, so I'm glad you
were paying attention.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

newbury at mandamus

Aug 20, 2012, 12:01 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 08/18/2012 07:19 AM, Chris Dennis wrote:
> On 18/08/12 05:16, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012, Chris Dennis wrote:
>>
>>> I've put the script on GitHub at
>>> https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk
>>
>> OK, did anyone else read this subject and think "well that's an
>> interesting
>> way of saying his myth machine crashed. I've heard of servers "barfing"
>> garbage output but never "upchuck" . . .
>>
>> No ? Just me ?
>
> Just you apparently. It might catch on though.
>
> I thought that name for the script might amuse someone, so I'm glad you
> were paying attention.
>
> cheers
>
> Chris

Noticed it but did not care to comment that it is still not quite right.
Since it is aimed solely at users in Great Britain, surely it should be
"mythukchuk".

--
R. Geoffrey Newbury

Mississauga, Ontario, L5H 3R2

anothersname at googlemail

Aug 20, 2012, 3:35 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 20 August 2012 20:01, R. G. Newbury <newbury [at] mandamus> wrote:
> On 08/18/2012 07:19 AM, Chris Dennis wrote:

>>> OK, did anyone else read this subject and think "well that's an
>>> interesting
>>> way of saying his myth machine crashed. I've heard of servers "barfing"
>>> garbage output but never "upchuck" . . .
>>>
>>> No ? Just me ?
>>

>> Just you apparently. It might catch on though.
>>
>> I thought that name for the script might amuse someone, so I'm glad you
>> were paying attention.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Chris
>

> Noticed it but did not care to comment that it is still not quite right.
> Since it is aimed solely at users in Great Britain, surely it should be
> "mythukchuk".

I'm sorry I think you made a typo

Surely you meant

Mythyukchuk

chrislewis915 at gmail

Nov 8, 2012, 2:41 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

HI

Do you still maintain the mythupchuk script? I'm having a few problems and
was hoping you may be able to help.

Chris

On 15 August 2012 18:18, Chris Dennis <cgdennis [at] btinternet> wrote:

> Hello MythTV people
>
> I've put together a script which makes it easy to maintain a list of
> channel names, numbers, visibility flags etc., and keep it in sync with the
> MythTV database.
>
> I've put the script on GitHub at https://github.com/**
> StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk<https://github.com/StarsoftAnalysis/mythupchuk>and added a note to the wiki page at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_**Channel_Assignments<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UK_Channel_Assignments>
>
> I hope people find it useful -- please let me know if you do (or don't).
>
> cheers
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
> Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

moores.martin at gmail

Nov 8, 2012, 11:26 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 8 November 2012 22:41, Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 [at] gmail> wrote:

> HI
>
> Do you still maintain the mythupchuk script? I'm having a few problems
> and was hoping you may be able to help.
>
> Chris

Not sure if Chris is, there have been a few threads on the list regarding
mythupchuk, but no input from Chris.D.

I also dropped him an email with a few problems I came across, but no reply.

What issues are you having?

Martin

chrislewis915 at gmail

Nov 9, 2012, 6:38 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

Well I started by deleting all my channels and performing a fresh scan.
This is a FTA scan of 28.2E only.

so i cloned the latest guthub mythypchuk and ran: ./mythupchuk
--fileupdate channels.list

This gave the output below

New file 'channels.list' has been created

566 new channels added to file
0 channels newly marked as deleted in file

So i tried to update the channels.list and set a number of channels to be
deleted and when i ran

./mythupchuk --dbupdate channels.list i got a number of messgaes. So i
recreated the channles.list (deleted the modified one) and then tried to
just to the dbupdate with an unmodified channels.list and i get the
following errors.

ERROR: Invalid data at line 15: '3 2 -2 1 0
58526 '
ERROR: Line 19 specifies the same channel as line 18 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4148)
ERROR: Line 45 specifies the same channel as line 18 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4148)
ERROR: Line 46 specifies the same channel as line 20 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4121)
ERROR: Invalid data at line 56: '3 3896 3896 1 0
6896 '
ERROR: Invalid data at line 57: '3 3897 3897 1 0
6897 '
ERROR: Line 58 specifies the same channel as line 20 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4121)
ERROR: Line 59 specifies the same channel as line 47 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4122)
ERROR: Line 60 specifies the same channel as line 21 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4123)
ERROR: Line 67 specifies the same channel as line 33 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4139)
ERROR: Line 68 specifies the same channel as line 17 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4141)
ERROR: Line 71 specifies the same channel as line 34 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4145)
ERROR: Line 72 specifies the same channel as line 18 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 4148)
ERROR: Invalid data at line 125: '3 6751 6751 1 0
UNKNOWN-2047-6751 '
ERROR: Invalid data at line 126: '3 6752 6752 1 0
UNKNOWN-2047-6752 '
ERROR: Invalid data at line 133: '3 6760 6760 1 0
UNKNOWN-2047-6760 '
ERROR: Invalid data at line 136: '3 6766 6766 1 0
UNKNOWN-2047-6766 '
ERROR: Invalid data at line 140: '3 6770 6770 1 0
UNKNOWN-2047-6770 '
ERROR: Line 535 specifies the same channel as line 22 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55001)
ERROR: Line 536 specifies the same channel as line 23 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55002)
ERROR: Line 537 specifies the same channel as line 24 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55003)
ERROR: Line 538 specifies the same channel as line 25 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55004)
ERROR: Line 539 specifies the same channel as line 26 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55005)
ERROR: Line 540 specifies the same channel as line 27 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55007)
ERROR: Line 541 specifies the same channel as line 28 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55008)
ERROR: Line 542 specifies the same channel as line 29 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55009)
ERROR: Line 543 specifies the same channel as line 30 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55010)
ERROR: Line 544 specifies the same channel as line 31 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55011)
ERROR: Line 545 specifies the same channel as line 32 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55012)
ERROR: Invalid data at line 546: '3 55020 55020 1 0
58020 '
ERROR: Line 556 specifies the same channel as line 35 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55232)
ERROR: Invalid data at line 557: '3 55233 55233 1 0
58233 '
ERROR: Line 560 specifies the same channel as line 36 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55236)
ERROR: Line 561 specifies the same channel as line 37 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55238)
ERROR: Line 564 specifies the same channel as line 38 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55246)
ERROR: Invalid data at line 565: '3 55248 55248 1 0
58248 '
ERROR: Line 566 specifies the same channel as line 39 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55249)
ERROR: Line 567 specifies the same channel as line 40 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55250)
ERROR: Line 569 specifies the same channel as line 41 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55252)
ERROR: Line 571 specifies the same channel as line 42 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55271)
ERROR: Line 572 specifies the same channel as line 43 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55272)
ERROR: Line 574 specifies the same channel as line 44 (both have sourceid 3
and serviceid 55274)

ERROR: One or more problems found in the input file -- see messages above.

Basically im stuck now. I also wanted to add in a DVB-T tuner i have but
wanted to get this working first!

Chris

On 9 November 2012 07:26, Martin Moores <moores.martin [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 8 November 2012 22:41, Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> HI
>>
>> Do you still maintain the mythupchuk script? I'm having a few problems
>> and was hoping you may be able to help.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Not sure if Chris is, there have been a few threads on the list regarding
> mythupchuk, but no input from Chris.D.
>
> I also dropped him an email with a few problems I came across, but no
> reply.
>
> What issues are you having?
>
> Martin

stephengrobertson at gmail

Nov 9, 2012, 10:05 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

The invalid data lines is caused by callsign and/or name being blank. I
got round that error by putting something in for those fields. As I
was deleting them anyway it didn't matter what. I was/am planning on
updating it to cope with that which I will push back.(Chris incorporated a
couple of minor changes I made previously).

The other lines suggest that you have duplicates in your database.

Possibly see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 and try
"Delete all video sources" before doing a rescan.

cgdennis at btinternet

Nov 9, 2012, 10:31 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 09/11/12 07:26, Martin Moores wrote:
> On 8 November 2012 22:41, Chris Lewis <chrislewis915 [at] gmail
> <mailto:chrislewis915 [at] gmail>> wrote:
>
> HI
>
> Do you still maintain the mythupchuk script? I'm having a few
> problems and was hoping you may be able to help.
>
> Chris
>

> Not sure if Chris is, there have been a few threads on the list
> regarding mythupchuk, but no input from Chris.D.
>
> I also dropped him an email with a few problems I came across, but no reply.
>
> What issues are you having?

Hello Folks

Yes, I do still maintain mythupchuk. Sorry if I haven't been replying
to messages -- I don't read the MythTV list everyday, and stuff easily
gets lost in all the other posts.

And I don't recall getting an email directly from you -- I definitely
would have replied if I'd seen it.

I'll now read the rest of this thread, and see if I can help...

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

cgdennis at btinternet

Nov 9, 2012, 10:36 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 09/11/12 18:05, Stephen Robertson wrote:
> The invalid data lines is caused by callsign and/or name being blank. I
> got round that error by putting something in for those fields. As I
> was deleting them anyway it didn't matter what. I was/am planning on
> updating it to cope with that which I will push back.(Chris incorporated
> a couple of minor changes I made previously).

I thought I had already fixed it to put something into missing
name/callsign fields -- I'll check again.

> The other lines suggest that you have duplicates in your database.

Indeed. I always delete the existing channels before retuning, either
directly in via MySQL (deleting all records in tables 'channel' and
'dtv_multiplex' where sourceid is the source that I'm retuning), or via
mythtv-setup (the channel editor will delete all channels for a source).

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis cgdennis [at] btinternet
Fordingbridge, Hampshire, UK

mikep at randomtraveller

Nov 10, 2012, 2:54 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 09/11/12 18:36, Chris Dennis wrote:
> On 09/11/12 18:05, Stephen Robertson wrote:
>> The invalid data lines is caused by callsign and/or name being blank. I
>> got round that error by putting something in for those fields. As I
>> was deleting them anyway it didn't matter what. I was/am planning on
>> updating it to cope with that which I will push back.(Chris incorporated
>> a couple of minor changes I made previously).
>
> I thought I had already fixed it to put something into missing name/callsign
> fields -- I'll check again.
>>
>> The other lines suggest that you have duplicates in your database.
>
> Indeed. I always delete the existing channels before retuning, either directly
> in via MySQL (deleting all records in tables 'channel' and 'dtv_multiplex' where
> sourceid is the source that I'm retuning), or via mythtv-setup (the channel
> editor will delete all channels for a source).

You should not delete the contents of dtv_multiplex, unless you have made a
really bad hash of your database.

If you do that, you will have to scan everything again and possibly filter out
the muxes which apply to you.

Now that the digital switchover is complete bar some minor twiddling the mux
table will not change very much at all. If you leave that table alone you'll be
able to select the "scan existing transports" option and save yourself a big step.

--

Mike Perkins

cgdennis at btinternet

Nov 10, 2012, 1:23 PM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

Thanks for that advice, Mike - that will simplify things greatly.

cheers,
Chris

(Sent from my phone - apologies if the formatting is wrong. )

Mike Perkins <mikep [at] randomtraveller> wrote:

>On 09/11/12 18:36, Chris Dennis wrote:
>> On 09/11/12 18:05, Stephen Robertson wrote:
>>> The invalid data lines is caused by callsign and/or name being
>blank. I
>>> got round that error by putting something in for those fields. As I
>>> was deleting them anyway it didn't matter what. I was/am planning
>on
>>> updating it to cope with that which I will push back.(Chris
>incorporated
>>> a couple of minor changes I made previously).
>>
>> I thought I had already fixed it to put something into missing
>name/callsign
>> fields -- I'll check again.
>>>
>>> The other lines suggest that you have duplicates in your database.
>>
>> Indeed. I always delete the existing channels before retuning,
>either directly
>> in via MySQL (deleting all records in tables 'channel' and
>'dtv_multiplex' where
>> sourceid is the source that I'm retuning), or via mythtv-setup (the
>channel
>> editor will delete all channels for a source).
>>
>You should not delete the contents of dtv_multiplex, unless you have
>made a
>really bad hash of your database.
>
>If you do that, you will have to scan everything again and possibly
>filter out
>the muxes which apply to you.
>
>Now that the digital switchover is complete bar some minor twiddling
>the mux
>table will not change very much at all. If you leave that table alone
>you'll be
>able to select the "scan existing transports" option and save yourself
>a big step.
>
>--
>
>Mike Perkins

Chris Dennis
Fordingbridge, Hampshire

moores.martin at gmail

Nov 13, 2012, 6:21 AM

Re: mythupchuk -- another script for maintaining UK channels [In reply to]

On 9 November 2012 18:31, Chris Dennis <cgdennis [at] btinternet> wrote:

> And I don't recall getting an email directly from you -- I definitely
> would have replied if I'd seen it.

Hi Chris, I emailed the address on the script page (@starsoftanalysis.co.uk),
I will re-send to this address.

I got the "invalid data at line xx" when I had channel IDs with hyphens in,
a couple of which were added here, I just binned them off, as most likely
junk

Cheers

Martin