Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Mythweather pop-up...mythutil?

dheianevans at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 3:59 PM

Mythweather pop-up...mythutil?

Had an idea and I don't know how easy it is to implement.

If one of us in the house is leaving, we always find ourselves asking
what the current temp is. Since we're OTA and no longer have a 24hr
news channel, we either a) head to the computer or b) check
mythweather.

If the missus is watching a show and really doesn't feel like exiting
to go to mythweather, it'd be great if there was an OSD pop-up that
could give the current temperature at a press of the remote.

I originally thought of mythutil, but a nice bottom of the screen OSD
message that slowly fades out like the other osd screens would be
great.

Realize there are much bigger fish to fry, but thought it might be a
lil' idea to toss out.

Thanks.

nick.rout at gmail

Aug 11, 2012, 7:17 AM

Re: Mythweather pop-up...mythutil? [In reply to]

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Ian Evans <dheianevans [at] gmail> wrote:
> Had an idea and I don't know how easy it is to implement.
>
> If one of us in the house is leaving, we always find ourselves asking
> what the current temp is. Since we're OTA and no longer have a 24hr
> news channel, we either a) head to the computer or b) check
> mythweather.

How about go outside and feel the temperature?

Turning the TV on and waiting for it to warm up, then finding the
remote some teenager left under the sofa last night and getting some
info on screen seems a whole lot harder than opening the door.

(says Nick who has been known to look at the same info on his android
phone rather than look out the window).

dheianevans at gmail

Aug 11, 2012, 5:12 PM

Re: Mythweather pop-up...mythutil? [In reply to]

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> How about go outside and feel the temperature?
>
> Turning the TV on and waiting for it to warm up, then finding the
> remote some teenager left under the sofa last night and getting some
> info on screen seems a whole lot harder than opening the door.

Realize it was a tongue in cheek answer, but just to clarify, I meant
if the TV was already on. Being 14 floors up, it's a real bitch to
have to wait for the elevator to check the temp. :-)