Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

mythmote App and minimyth

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

lists at xunil

Aug 10, 2012, 5:34 AM

mythmote App and minimyth

Does anyone know how to make minimyth work with something like the
mythmote app on Android?

I run the latest 0.25 version of minimyth on a frontend and it doesn't
open port 6546, no matter if I toggle the checkbox in the settings

I toggled off, shut down, restarted, toggled on, shut down .. no 6546.

I even checked the DB value in mysql, it is

NetworkControlEnabled 1

for the particular frontend.

Does anyone know how to get that working?

Thanks! Stefan

newbury at mandamus

Aug 10, 2012, 6:49 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 08/10/2012 08:34 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> Does anyone know how to make minimyth work with something like the
> mythmote app on Android?
>
> I run the latest 0.25 version of minimyth on a frontend and it doesn't
> open port 6546, no matter if I toggle the checkbox in the settings
>
> I toggled off, shut down, restarted, toggled on, shut down .. no 6546.
>
> I even checked the DB value in mysql, it is
>
> NetworkControlEnabled 1
>
> for the particular frontend.
>
> Does anyone know how to get that working?
>
> Thanks! Stefan

A wild guess is that your firewall setup is blocking that port on that
frontend.

G.

lists at xunil

Aug 10, 2012, 7:21 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Am 2012-08-10 15:49, schrieb R. G. Newbury:

> A wild guess is that your firewall setup is blocking that port on that
> frontend.

nope ... very wild guess, yes.

No firewall between me (desktop or smartphone) and the frontend.
And nmap does not show an open port 6546 ....
And mythmote fails to connect.

imntreal at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 4:31 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists [at] xunil> wrote:
> I even checked the DB value in mysql, it is
>
> NetworkControlEnabled 1
>
> for the particular frontend.

Is this a FE only? Did you run mythtv-setup on it? If so, make sure
the local backend IP address is blank.

=-Jameson

mikep at randomtraveller

Aug 11, 2012, 1:34 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 11/08/12 00:31, Jameson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists [at] xunil> wrote:
>> I even checked the DB value in mysql, it is
>>
>> NetworkControlEnabled 1
>>
>> for the particular frontend.
>
> Is this a FE only? Did you run mythtv-setup on it? If so, make sure
> the local backend IP address is blank.

It's minimyth. That means that it is netbooted and all the OS, configuration,
etc is provided in one package. There /is/ an optional backend but that is not a
normal use-case.

This question would be better answered on the minimyth forum.

--

Mike Perkins

lists at xunil

Aug 11, 2012, 1:43 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Am 2012-08-11 10:34, schrieb Mike Perkins:

>> Is this a FE only? Did you run mythtv-setup on it? If so, make sure
>> the local backend IP address is blank.

What is the "local backend" ?
afaik there is no mythtv-setup on minimyth.

> It's minimyth. That means that it is netbooted and all the OS,
> configuration, etc is provided in one package. There /is/ an optional
> backend but that is not a normal use-case.

I run a backend, sure. mythtv-0.25 on a gentoo box, which also provides
pxe/tftp/nfs for netbooting minimyth on the frontend hardware.

> This question would be better answered on the minimyth forum.

... yes. I just wanted to try it here, and avoid registering on the Nth
forum for just one issue ...

mikep at randomtraveller

Aug 11, 2012, 2:45 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 11/08/12 09:43, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 2012-08-11 10:34, schrieb Mike Perkins:
>
>>> Is this a FE only? Did you run mythtv-setup on it? If so, make sure
>>> the local backend IP address is blank.
>
> What is the "local backend" ?
> afaik there is no mythtv-setup on minimyth.
>
>> It's minimyth. That means that it is netbooted and all the OS,
>> configuration, etc is provided in one package. There /is/ an optional
>> backend but that is not a normal use-case.
>
> I run a backend, sure. mythtv-0.25 on a gentoo box, which also provides
> pxe/tftp/nfs for netbooting minimyth on the frontend hardware.
>
>> This question would be better answered on the minimyth forum.
>
> ... yes. I just wanted to try it here, and avoid registering on the Nth
> forum for just one issue ...

You asked a question which is /only/ relevant to minimyth, which is why it
should have been asked on their forum. All you will get here is confused replies
from other myth users who don't know how minimyth is configured.

--

Mike Perkins

lists at glidos

Aug 11, 2012, 4:46 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Mike Perkins <mikep [at] randomtraveller> wrote:

>sure
>>
>> What is the "local backend" ?
>> afaik there is no mythtv-setup on minimyth.
>>
>>> It's minimyth. That means that it is netbooted and all the OS,
>>> configuration, etc is provided in one package. There /is/ an
>optional
>>> backend but that is not a normal use-case.
>>
>> I run a backend, sure. mythtv-0.25 on a gentoo box, which also
>provides
>> pxe/tftp/nfs for netbooting minimyth on the frontend hardware.
>>
>>> This question would be better answered on the minimyth forum.
>>
>> ... yes. I just wanted to try it here, and avoid registering on the
>Nth
>> forum for just one issue ...
>>
>You asked a question which is /only/ relevant to minimyth, which is why
>it
>should have been asked on their forum. All you will get here is
>confused replies
>from other myth users who don't know how minimyth is configured.
>
>--
>
>Mike Perkins

lists at xunil

Aug 12, 2012, 1:12 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Am 2012-08-11 13:46, schrieb Paul Gardiner:

> Well he might have gotten a reply from me or from one of the many
> other minimyth users that must be here, if one of us knew the answer.
> Asking the question here seems a reasonable thing to try.

minimyth-users are mythtv-users .... so ....

but, anyway.

pebender at san

Aug 12, 2012, 5:49 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 8/12/2012 1:12 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 2012-08-11 13:46, schrieb Paul Gardiner:
>
>> Well he might have gotten a reply from me or from one of the many
>> other minimyth users that must be here, if one of us knew the answer.
>> Asking the question here seems a reasonable thing to try.
>
> minimyth-users are mythtv-users .... so ....
>
> but, anyway.

I have no problem with you asking the questions at either location. In
this case there is a very good chance that your problem is due to some
configuration and patching in MiniMyth that makes it possible for an
application on the frontend as well as an application on the network to
communicate over the telnet socket. In addition, I have some
recollection that I saw a port change between 0.24 and 0.25, but I could
be wrong. Anyway, for more targeting archiving, having the discussion on
the MiniMyth forum might be better.

lists at xunil

Aug 12, 2012, 11:17 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Am 2012-08-13 02:49, schrieb Paul Bender:

> I have no problem with you asking the questions at either location. In
> this case there is a very good chance that your problem is due to some
> configuration and patching in MiniMyth that makes it possible for an
> application on the frontend as well as an application on the network to
> communicate over the telnet socket. In addition, I have some
> recollection that I saw a port change between 0.24 and 0.25, but I could
> be wrong. Anyway, for more targeting archiving, having the discussion on
> the MiniMyth forum might be better.

sure, thanks.
Stefan

lists at xunil

Aug 12, 2012, 11:41 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Am 2012-08-13 08:17, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> Am 2012-08-13 02:49, schrieb Paul Bender:
>
>> I have no problem with you asking the questions at either location. In
>> this case there is a very good chance that your problem is due to some
>> configuration and patching in MiniMyth that makes it possible for an
>> application on the frontend as well as an application on the network to
>> communicate over the telnet socket. In addition, I have some
>> recollection that I saw a port change between 0.24 and 0.25, but I could
>> be wrong. Anyway, for more targeting archiving, having the discussion on
>> the MiniMyth forum might be better.

this is the issue:

http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/issues/detail?id=69

without real solution, afai see.

yiannividalis at hotmail

Aug 12, 2012, 11:46 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:41:53 +0200
> From: lists [at] xunil
> To: mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythmote App and minimyth
>
> Am 2012-08-13 08:17, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> > Am 2012-08-13 02:49, schrieb Paul Bender:
> >
> >> I have no problem with you asking the questions at either location. In
> >> this case there is a very good chance that your problem is due to some
> >> configuration and patching in MiniMyth that makes it possible for an
> >> application on the frontend as well as an application on the network to
> >> communicate over the telnet socket. In addition, I have some
> >> recollection that I saw a port change between 0.24 and 0.25, but I could
> >> be wrong. Anyway, for more targeting archiving, having the discussion on
> >> the MiniMyth forum might be better.
>

> this is the issue:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/issues/detail?id=69
>
> without real solution, afai see.

Do you have the $http_proxy variable set by any chance? I have found it to cause problems with mythtv. If it is set, try unsetting it or clearing before starting mythfrontend...

Just a thought.

Best regards,

Yianni.

raymond at wagnerrp

Aug 15, 2012, 7:32 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 8/13/2012 02:41, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 2012-08-13 08:17, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
>> Am 2012-08-13 02:49, schrieb Paul Bender:
>>
>>> I have no problem with you asking the questions at either location. In
>>> this case there is a very good chance that your problem is due to some
>>> configuration and patching in MiniMyth that makes it possible for an
>>> application on the frontend as well as an application on the network to
>>> communicate over the telnet socket. In addition, I have some
>>> recollection that I saw a port change between 0.24 and 0.25, but I could
>>> be wrong. Anyway, for more targeting archiving, having the discussion on
>>> the MiniMyth forum might be better.
>

> this is the issue:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/issues/detail?id=69
>
> without real solution, afai see.

There is no real solution, because there is no real problem to solve.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#IP_Address_availability

If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow
users to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere,
then this is a fine example of why not including applications is a
terrible design choice. I realize it is designed to take up a minimum
of storage, but mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.

Also for what it's worth, it's not a telnet socket, and should not be
used with telnet clients.

nick.rout at gmail

Aug 15, 2012, 9:22 PM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:
> On 8/13/2012 02:41, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

>> this is the issue:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/issues/detail?id=69
>>
>> without real solution, afai see.
>

> There is no real solution, because there is no real problem to solve.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#IP_Address_availability
>
> If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow users
> to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere, then this
> is a fine example of why not including applications is a terrible design
> choice. I realize it is designed to take up a minimum of storage, but
> mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.
>
> Also for what it's worth, it's not a telnet socket, and should not be used
> with telnet clients.

The minimyth home page says "MiniMyth is a small Linux distribution
that turns a diskless computer into a MythTV frontend and slave
backend"

If it can run as a slave backend, surely it must be possible to run
mythtv-setup?

lists at glidos

Aug 16, 2012, 12:22 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 16/08/2012 03:32, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow
> users to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere,
> then this is a fine example of why not including applications is a
> terrible design choice. I realize it is designed to take up a minimum
> of storage, but mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.

So this living-room appliance needs settings made that cannot be
performed though it's usual interface? Someone has to access the
command line and provoke the machine into displaying mythtv-setup
in place of mythfrontend briefly to make the configuration change
and then provoke it into redisplaying mythfrontend? That doesn't
sound like an ideal design either. Or should minimyth provide a normal
desktop from which the user had to start mythfrontend each time
the machine is booted. Again not a great design.

P.

nick.rout at gmail

Aug 16, 2012, 12:43 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond [at] wagnerrp> wrote:

>>> this is the issue:
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/mythmote/issues/detail?id=69
>>>
>>> without real solution, afai see.
>>

>> There is no real solution, because there is no real problem to solve.
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#IP_Address_availability
>>
>> If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow users
>> to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere, then this
>> is a fine example of why not including applications is a terrible design
>> choice. I realize it is designed to take up a minimum of storage, but
>> mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.
>>
>> Also for what it's worth, it's not a telnet socket, and should not be used
>> with telnet clients.
>
> The minimyth home page says "MiniMyth is a small Linux distribution
> that turns a diskless computer into a MythTV frontend and slave
> backend"
>
> If it can run as a slave backend, surely it must be possible to run
> mythtv-setup?

To answer my own question, mythtv-setup is included in the minimyth
rootfs tarball that I downloaded today.

lists at xunil

Aug 16, 2012, 4:44 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Am 16.08.2012 09:43, schrieb Nick Rout:

>> If it can run as a slave backend, surely it must be possible to run
>> mythtv-setup?
>
> To answer my own question, mythtv-setup is included in the minimyth
> rootfs tarball that I downloaded today.

To run it I have to enable ssh on that (pxe-booted) box ... which means
I have to generate ssh-keys and somehow provide them via NFS ...

but yes, sure, possible. I will have a look this evening maybe.

What setting to blank then?

I toggled the setting within the frontends configuration already, I think?

Ah, you mean the mentioned link:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#IP_Address_availability

Will check soon ...

Thanks, Stefan

lists at glidos

Aug 16, 2012, 5:00 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 16/08/2012 12:44, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 16.08.2012 09:43, schrieb Nick Rout:
>
>>> If it can run as a slave backend, surely it must be possible to run
>>> mythtv-setup?
>>
>> To answer my own question, mythtv-setup is included in the minimyth
>> rootfs tarball that I downloaded today.
>
> To run it I have to enable ssh on that (pxe-booted) box ... which means
> I have to generate ssh-keys and somehow provide them via NFS ...

minimyth has a facility to fetch the key via tftp during boot. It's
handy to set it up anyway.

Cheers,
Paul.

mikep at randomtraveller

Aug 16, 2012, 7:42 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 16/08/12 08:22, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 16/08/2012 03:32, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow
>> users to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere,
>> then this is a fine example of why not including applications is a
>> terrible design choice. I realize it is designed to take up a minimum
>> of storage, but mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.
>
> So this living-room appliance needs settings made that cannot be
> performed though it's usual interface? Someone has to access the
> command line and provoke the machine into displaying mythtv-setup
> in place of mythfrontend briefly to make the configuration change
> and then provoke it into redisplaying mythfrontend? That doesn't
> sound like an ideal design either. Or should minimyth provide a normal
> desktop from which the user had to start mythfrontend each time
> the machine is booted. Again not a great design.

Er, no. To access the backend setup parameters, provided that the slave backend
is activated in the tftpboot config file, there's a menu option available once
the front end has booted up. This allows you to stop the backend, run
mythtv-setup and restart the backend.

--

Mike Perkins

lists at glidos

Aug 16, 2012, 8:05 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 16/08/2012 15:42, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 16/08/12 08:22, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> On 16/08/2012 03:32, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow
>>> users to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere,
>>> then this is a fine example of why not including applications is a
>>> terrible design choice. I realize it is designed to take up a minimum
>>> of storage, but mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.
>>
>> So this living-room appliance needs settings made that cannot be
>> performed though it's usual interface? Someone has to access the
>> command line and provoke the machine into displaying mythtv-setup
>> in place of mythfrontend briefly to make the configuration change
>> and then provoke it into redisplaying mythfrontend? That doesn't
>> sound like an ideal design either. Or should minimyth provide a normal
>> desktop from which the user had to start mythfrontend each time
>> the machine is booted. Again not a great design.
>>
> Er, no. To access the backend setup parameters, provided that the slave
> backend is activated in the tftpboot config file, there's a menu option
> available once the front end has booted up. This allows you to stop the
> backend, run mythtv-setup and restart the backend.

Oh ok, a neat feature, but then that means you have to run a possibly,
otherwise unnecessary slave backend to be able to set a frontend
setting. I wasn't intending to criticise mimimyth
with my comment. I was more trying to rebuff the "not including
apps is a terrible design choice" comment, suggesting that the need
for the app is more the problem.

P.

mikep at randomtraveller

Aug 16, 2012, 9:12 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 16/08/12 16:05, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 16/08/2012 15:42, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>>
>>> So this living-room appliance needs settings made that cannot be
>>> performed though it's usual interface? Someone has to access the
>>> command line and provoke the machine into displaying mythtv-setup
>>> in place of mythfrontend briefly to make the configuration change
>>> and then provoke it into redisplaying mythfrontend? That doesn't
>>> sound like an ideal design either. Or should minimyth provide a normal
>>> desktop from which the user had to start mythfrontend each time
>>> the machine is booted. Again not a great design.
>>>
>> Er, no. To access the backend setup parameters, provided that the slave
>> backend is activated in the tftpboot config file, there's a menu option
>> available once the front end has booted up. This allows you to stop the
>> backend, run mythtv-setup and restart the backend.
>
> Oh ok, a neat feature, but then that means you have to run a possibly,
> otherwise unnecessary slave backend to be able to set a frontend
> setting. I wasn't intending to criticise mimimyth
> with my comment. I was more trying to rebuff the "not including
> apps is a terrible design choice" comment, suggesting that the need
> for the app is more the problem.

I would rather suggest that this indicates that this particular setting is in
the wrong place.

It's much like having to fire up the front end (on the master backend that lives
in a cupboard) in order to select a theme so that you can then shut it down in
order to set up the backend properly... the default Terra theme is unusable (IMHO).

--

Mike Perkins

lists at xunil

Aug 16, 2012, 9:32 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

Am 16.08.2012 14:00, schrieb Paul Gardiner:

>>> To answer my own question, mythtv-setup is included in the minimyth
>>> rootfs tarball that I downloaded today.
>>
>> To run it I have to enable ssh on that (pxe-booted) box ... which means
>> I have to generate ssh-keys and somehow provide them via NFS ...
>
> minimyth has a facility to fetch the key via tftp during boot. It's
> handy to set it up anyway.

Sure. Tried that, but minimyth says the files aren't there :-(

I put them into "conf/minimyth" ... where the minimyth.conf exists.
Enabled MM_SSH_SERVER_ENABLED and booting fails, because "the files
don't exist".

Oh my. How easy things are today ;-)

Would you mind showing me your dir-structure and permissions?

AFAI see there are no specific variables to define the files?

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 16, 2012, 9:52 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 08/16/2012 12:12 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 16/08/12 16:05, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> Er, no. To access the backend setup parameters, provided that the slave
>>> backend is activated in the tftpboot config file, there's a menu option
>>> available once the front end has booted up. This allows you to stop the
>>> backend, run mythtv-setup and restart the backend.
>>
>> Oh ok, a neat feature, but then that means you have to run a possibly,
>> otherwise unnecessary slave backend to be able to set a frontend
>> setting. I wasn't intending to criticise mimimyth
>> with my comment. I was more trying to rebuff the "not including
>> apps is a terrible design choice" comment, suggesting that the need
>> for the app is more the problem.
>>
> I would rather suggest that this indicates that this particular
> setting is in the wrong place.
>
> It's much like having to fire up the front end (on the master backend
> that lives in a cupboard) in order to select a theme so that you can
> then shut it down in order to set up the backend properly... the
> default Terra theme is unusable (IMHO).

You simply have to run mythtv-setup, the setup program for MythTV, to
set the appropriate setting. Note that it's not called mythbackend-setup...

And, on a frontend-only machine, it should be easy to run mythtv-setup,
since--by definition--a frontend has a GUI environment already
configured. It may even be easier to run mythtv-setup on a
frontend-only system than on a backend because a) you don't have to stop
the running backend on the system and b) you can run mythtv-setup while
mythfrontend is running and c) backends may well be headless systems,
which require some other approach to running the GUI mythtv-setup
program, such as VNC or ssh -Y.

It sounds like the minimyth "menu option available once the front end
has booted up [that] allows you to stop the backend, run mythtv-setup
and restart the backend" is quite appropriate being displayed only on a
system with a backend--since there's no backend to shut down and restart
if it's not a backend system. Now, perhaps it would be convenient if
there's also an option to just run mythtv-setup on a frontend-only
system, but I'd guess they're treading lightly there because some
changes in mythtv-setup will require other backend processes on other
hosts to be shut down, so it may actually do more harm than good to make
it easy to access.

Mike

raymond at wagnerrp

Aug 16, 2012, 9:57 AM

Re: mythmote App and minimyth [In reply to]

On 8/16/2012 03:43, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> There is no real solution, because there is no real problem to solve.
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#IP_Address_availability
>>>
>>> If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow users
>>> to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere, then this
>>> is a fine example of why not including applications is a terrible design
>>> choice. I realize it is designed to take up a minimum of storage, but
>>> mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.
>>>
>>> Also for what it's worth, it's not a telnet socket, and should not be used
>>> with telnet clients.
>>
>> The minimyth home page says "MiniMyth is a small Linux distribution
>> that turns a diskless computer into a MythTV frontend and slave
>> backend"
>>
>> If it can run as a slave backend, surely it must be possible to run
>> mythtv-setup?
>
> To answer my own question, mythtv-setup is included in the minimyth
> rootfs tarball that I downloaded today.

I have no personal experience with MiniMyth, I was merely responding to
this comment.

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-August/338096.html