Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

HLS -howto?

mythtv at theanthonys

Aug 9, 2012, 9:00 PM

HLS -howto?

Hi,

Could anyone point me towards info on how to configure/use HLS?

Google isn't my friend today

Regards,

Leigh

ajmccauley at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 12:02 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Leigh Anthony <mythtv [at] theanthonys>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone point me towards info on how to configure/use HLS?
>
> Google isn't my friend today
>
> Regards,
>
> Leigh

From inside your local network go to http://backend:6544/

Click API->Examples->HTTP Live Streaming

Search for a file name/storage group that you want to stream and click the
appropriate radio button for the .mpg file (not the pngs)

Click add stream (adjust the size bandwidth settings to meet your needs)

Wait a few moments for the transcoding to get going (depending on the power
of your backend, more time may be required)

A status will appear above.

Click play and a screen will appear with JWplayer (which might need to be
installed first). On mythbuntu, there was a password or pin that I
needed. Search to find out how to do this (its not your db password)

When you are done watching the stream, click delete to free up some space.

Note: you cannot fast forward or rewind, just play and pause.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 12:29 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

On 10 August 2012 14:00, Leigh Anthony <mythtv [at] theanthonys> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone point me towards info on how to configure/use HLS?

Client (Myth plays or record a HLS stream) or server (you use another
device to watch myth content)

> Google isn't my friend today

Probably too new.

cpinkham at bc2va

Aug 10, 2012, 12:32 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

* On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 12:32:03PM +0530, Andrew McCauley wrote:
> Note: you cannot fast forward or rewind, just play and pause.

You should be able to fast forward and rewind, I can do it fine
in JW Player on my system as well as on the iOS devices I test
with.

Also, one big point is to make sure that your backend was compiled
with "--enable-libx264 and --enable-libmp3lame" to support the
H.264 video and MP3 audio used in the HLS streams generated by
MythTV v0.25. Without those, you'll never get anything transcoded.
Some packagers are already doing this for you, but if you build by
hand, you'll have to remember to do it yourself.

--
Chris

ajmccauley at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 4:05 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham [at] bc2va> wrote:
> * On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 12:32:03PM +0530, Andrew McCauley wrote:
>> Note: you cannot fast forward or rewind, just play and pause.
>
> You should be able to fast forward and rewind, I can do it fine
> in JW Player on my system as well as on the iOS devices I test
> with.
>
> Also, one big point is to make sure that your backend was compiled
> with "--enable-libx264 and --enable-libmp3lame" to support the
> H.264 video and MP3 audio used in the HLS streams generated by
> MythTV v0.25. Without those, you'll never get anything transcoded.
> Some packagers are already doing this for you, but if you build by
> hand, you'll have to remember to do it yourself.
>
> --
> Chris

I will have to check FF and RW again. Just a note, the transcoding
worked out of the box with mythbuntu...

Andrew

ctreleaven at cogeco

Aug 10, 2012, 4:28 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

At 12:32 AM -0700 8/10/12, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>* On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 12:32:03PM +0530, Andrew McCauley wrote:
>> Note: you cannot fast forward or rewind, just play and pause.
>
>You should be able to fast forward and rewind, I can do it fine
>in JW Player on my system as well as on the iOS devices I test
>with.
>
>Also, one big point is to make sure that your backend was compiled
>with "--enable-libx264 and --enable-libmp3lame" to support the
>H.264 video and MP3 audio used in the HLS streams generated by
>MythTV v0.25. Without those, you'll never get anything transcoded.
>Some packagers are already doing this for you, but if you build by
>hand, you'll have to remember to do it yourself.

Preliminary wiki page added based on this thread and some other saved posts:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Http_live_streaming_server

Craig

seven at seven

Aug 10, 2012, 5:22 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

On 10 August 2012 21:28, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:

> At 12:32 AM -0700 8/10/12, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>
>> * On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 12:32:03PM +0530, Andrew McCauley wrote:
>>
>>> Note: you cannot fast forward or rewind, just play and pause.
>>>

>> You should be able to fast forward and rewind, I can do it fine
>> in JW Player on my system as well as on the iOS devices I test
>> with.
>>
>> Also, one big point is to make sure that your backend was compiled
>> with "--enable-libx264 and --enable-libmp3lame" to support the
>> H.264 video and MP3 audio used in the HLS streams generated by
>> MythTV v0.25. Without those, you'll never get anything transcoded.
>> Some packagers are already doing this for you, but if you build by
>> hand, you'll have to remember to do it yourself.
>>

> Preliminary wiki page added based on this thread and some other saved
> posts:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Http_live_streaming_server<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Http_live_streaming_server>
>
> Craig

Silly Question and Semi OT, I've been reading the HLS streaming documents
from apple and I know they "recommend" a fail back stream of 64k audio only
however what happens if no failback stream is provided? and is there a
simple way to test this without recompiling and patching?

http://www.apple.com.cn/developer/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/StreamingMediaGuide/StreamingMediaGuide.pdf#page17

Personnaly for video I'd much rather it pause and wait for buffers to fill
then to get audio only, airvideo does a decent job at handling this
although they have their own player

Cheers,

Anthony

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 8:28 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

On 10 August 2012 21:05, Andrew McCauley <ajmccauley [at] gmail> wrote:
> I will have to check FF and RW again. Just a note, the transcoding
> worked out of the box with mythbuntu...

What you are probably seeing is due to myth converts the movie and
create the HLS playlist. Until the whole movie has been converted, the
HLS playlist is marked as "Live Stream", which some HLS client will
refuse to seek on (iOS in particular).

You need to either wait for the conversion to be completed, or not try
to seek until the the conversion is complete.

JY

cpinkham at bc2va

Aug 10, 2012, 12:43 PM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

* On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 10:22:12PM +1000, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> Silly Question and Semi OT, I've been reading the HLS streaming documents
> from apple and I know they "recommend" a fail back stream of 64k audio only
> however what happens if no failback stream is provided? and is there a
> simple way to test this without recompiling and patching?

I think that it's more of a requirement than a recommendation if you
are an iOS developer. I believe you have to support the fallback
stream if you're working on an server/app combination for inclusion in
the app store. MythTV's HLS encoder supports a 64Kbit audio-only
fallback stream specifically due to this requirement. I added the
second stream early on for the iOS app that Robert created.

> Personnaly for video I'd much rather it pause and wait for buffers to fill
> then to get audio only, airvideo does a decent job at handling this
> although they have their own player

I think they're thinking more about users on slow cell networks than
users using WiFi at home.

--
Chris

cpinkham at bc2va

Aug 10, 2012, 2:16 PM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

* On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 07:28:37AM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Preliminary wiki page added based on this thread and some other saved posts:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Http_live_streaming_server

Looks like I need to do some editting, a bunch of those TODO items will
either go away or be handled by the on-demand reimplementation I'm
looking at.

--
Chris

ctreleaven at cogeco

Aug 10, 2012, 2:28 PM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

At 2:16 PM -0700 8/10/12, Chris Pinkham wrote:
>* On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 07:28:37AM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> Preliminary wiki page added based on this thread and some other saved posts:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Http_live_streaming_server
>
>Looks like I need to do some editting, a bunch of those TODO items will
>either go away or be handled by the on-demand reimplementation I'm
>looking at.

Sorry, those were from an email of yours back in May...

If you just want to say "Many major improvements coming...stay
tuned!", I'd understand. ;)

Craig

cpinkham at bc2va

Aug 10, 2012, 2:38 PM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

* On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 05:28:16PM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Sorry, those were from an email of yours back in May...

No problem, the direction has just changed a bit to be more
flexible and give a better experience. Not sure what to do
about the existing method yet, it may just use the new code
behind the scenes to make things easier.

Anyway, now I just need to find time after 0.26 is out to work
on that code.

--
Chris

seven at seven

Aug 11, 2012, 3:40 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

On 11 August 2012 05:43, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham [at] bc2va> wrote:

> * On Fri Aug 10, 2012 at 10:22:12PM +1000, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> > Silly Question and Semi OT, I've been reading the HLS streaming documents
> > from apple and I know they "recommend" a fail back stream of 64k audio
> only
> > however what happens if no failback stream is provided? and is there a
> > simple way to test this without recompiling and patching?
>
> I think that it's more of a requirement than a recommendation if you
> are an iOS developer. I believe you have to support the fallback
> stream if you're working on an server/app combination for inclusion in
> the app store. MythTV's HLS encoder supports a 64Kbit audio-only
> fallback stream specifically due to this requirement. I added the
> second stream early on for the iOS app that Robert created.
>
> > Personnaly for video I'd much rather it pause and wait for buffers to
> fill
> > then to get audio only, airvideo does a decent job at handling this
> > although they have their own player
>
> I think they're thinking more about users on slow cell networks than
> users using WiFi at home.
>
> --
> Chris

seems its dropping out if the wifi signal strength drops low it will on
occasion failback to audio only also hence my wanting to be able to disable
the audio only stream.

Cheers,

Anthony

mythtv at theanthonys

Aug 12, 2012, 4:14 AM

Re: HLS -howto? [In reply to]

Thanks Andrew and to everyone else who chipped in!

This looks really good.

BTW it appears that straight apache will allow seeking around MP4 files if you don't need transcoding.