Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

airplay audio only from MythTV leads the iTunes computer source

mweberjunk01 at gmail

Aug 9, 2012, 8:12 PM

airplay audio only from MythTV leads the iTunes computer source

So, now that I finally have airplay going in MythTV 0.25.2 and I can airplay from iTunes on my iMac to MythTV, I have found that MythTV is leading ahead of - not lagging behind - the iMac's speakers playing directly from iTunes on that machine.

Is there a way that I can specify a small delay or a way we can add that in a future release if it's not already there? Playing from iTunes on multiple speakers when they are not in sync can be painful if they are within a close proximity of each other.

Mike

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 12:57 AM

Re: airplay audio only from MythTV leads the iTunes computer source [In reply to]

On 10 August 2012 13:12, Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Is there a way that I can specify a small delay or a way we can add that in a future release if it's not already there? Playing from iTunes on multiple speakers when they are not in sync can be painful if they are within a close proximity of each other.

No, and it's a far from a trivial issue.

The myth AirPlay server calculates the latency introduced by the
network connection, the audio hardware using etc... and try to be as
close as possible to what the iTunes client is asking for (2050ms with
iTunes, 1780ms with iOS).
That latency is fed back to iTunes when it asks for it.

Note that Myth is the only AirPlay server other than Apple's own
implementing latency support. So what you get now is better than
anything else out there.

Also note that AirPlay latency is broken with iOS clients, everytime
you pause, rewind or fast-forward 50ms delay is added to the stream,
after a while it's completely out of sync. You have the same issue
when using an Apple Airport Express.

One of the issue is that iTunes doesn't reliably handle the time
delay... Have the exact same issue when using multiple speakers
between iTunes and Airport Express.

Jean-Yves

mweberjunk01 at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 1:19 AM

Re: airplay audio only from MythTV leads the iTunes computer source [In reply to]

Interesting. Sadly, I don't have that issue with my Apple Airport Express. It is always, even after hours of playing, dead-on with my iMac, and even with my previous iMac G5 with 10.5.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to deal with it. Thanks!

On Aug 10, 2012, at 2:57 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> On 10 August 2012 13:12, Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Is there a way that I can specify a small delay or a way we can add that in a future release if it's not already there? Playing from iTunes on multiple speakers when they are not in sync can be painful if they are within a close proximity of each other.
>
> No, and it's a far from a trivial issue.
>
> The myth AirPlay server calculates the latency introduced by the
> network connection, the audio hardware using etc... and try to be as
> close as possible to what the iTunes client is asking for (2050ms with
> iTunes, 1780ms with iOS).
> That latency is fed back to iTunes when it asks for it.
>
> Note that Myth is the only AirPlay server other than Apple's own
> implementing latency support. So what you get now is better than
> anything else out there.
>
> Also note that AirPlay latency is broken with iOS clients, everytime
> you pause, rewind or fast-forward 50ms delay is added to the stream,
> after a while it's completely out of sync. You have the same issue
> when using an Apple Airport Express.
>
> One of the issue is that iTunes doesn't reliably handle the time
> delay... Have the exact same issue when using multiple speakers
> between iTunes and Airport Express.
>
> Jean-Yves

jyavenard at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 1:41 AM

Re: airplay audio only from MythTV leads the iTunes computer source [In reply to]

Please don't top-post

On 10 August 2012 18:19, Michael A Weber <mweberjunk01 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Interesting. Sadly, I don't have that issue with my Apple Airport Express. It is always, even after hours of playing, dead-on with my iMac, and even with my previous iMac G5 with 10.5.
>
> Oh well. I guess I'll have to deal with it. Thanks!

It's much easier for Apple to get it right as they only have to deal
with one hardware type.

I get perfect sync with the various system I have here.

Are you using ALSA on your myth machine or Pulse ?

mweberjunk01 at gmail

Aug 10, 2012, 8:32 AM

Re: airplay audio only from MythTV leads the iTunes computer source [In reply to]