Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Issues with 4Seven on Freesat...

null at sgtwilko

Aug 7, 2012, 12:43 PM

Issues with 4Seven on Freesat...

Hiya,

Is anyone else having issues receiving the channel 4Seven on Freesat?

The channel tunes in fine, but after a second or two the picture breaks
up. It then stabilises for a few seconds then breaks up again.

I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, 0.24-fixes, on an ION board with a TBS 6891.

Thanks,

Ian.

rongblor at googlemail

Aug 8, 2012, 10:04 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 7 Aug 2012, at 08:43 PM, Ian Wilkinson <null [at] sgtwilko> wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Is anyone else having issues receiving the channel 4Seven on Freesat?
>
> The channel tunes in fine, but after a second or two the picture breaks
> up. It then stabilises for a few seconds then breaks up again.
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, 0.24-fixes, on an ION board with a TBS 6891.

Hi,

Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe and see if it works on there.

All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really believe it is a signal issue.

Rob.

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Aug 9, 2012, 6:00 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 8 August 2012 18:04, Robert Longbottom <rongblor [at] googlemail> wrote:

> On 7 Aug 2012, at 08:43 PM, Ian Wilkinson <null [at] sgtwilko> wrote:
>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> Is anyone else having issues receiving the channel 4Seven on Freesat?
>>
>> The channel tunes in fine, but after a second or two the picture breaks
>> up. It then stabilises for a few seconds then breaks up again.
>>
>> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, 0.24-fixes, on an ION board with a TBS 6891.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe and see if it works on there.
>
> All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really believe it is a signal issue.

Just tested 24seven with 0.25.2 from the Debian Multimedia repo using
my old Hauppauge Nova-S Plus card - no problems to report.

Nick

null at sgtwilko

Aug 9, 2012, 9:36 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 08/08/2012 18:04, Robert Longbottom wrote:

> On 7 Aug 2012, at 08:43 PM, Ian Wilkinson <null [at] sgtwilko> wrote:
>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> Is anyone else having issues receiving the channel 4Seven on Freesat?
>>
>> The channel tunes in fine, but after a second or two the picture breaks
>> up. It then stabilises for a few seconds then breaks up again.
>>
>> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, 0.24-fixes, on an ION board with a TBS 6891.
>>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe and see if it works on there.
>
> All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really believe it is a signal issue.
>
> Rob.

Hi Rob,

From my checking in my Myth DB, it would seem like it's on the same Mux
(is it a Mux when it's from satellite?) as channel 4 HD which I receive
fine (apart from lip sync being ever so slightly out). LyngSat and King
of Sat also agree and the settings they're showing match my Myth DB.

Are you also on 0.24-fixes?

Ian.

null at sgtwilko

Aug 9, 2012, 9:51 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 09/08/2012 14:00, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 8 August 2012 18:04, Robert Longbottom <rongblor [at] googlemail> wrote:
>>
>> On 7 Aug 2012, at 08:43 PM, Ian Wilkinson <null [at] sgtwilko> wrote:
>>
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having issues receiving the channel 4Seven on Freesat?
>>>
>>> The channel tunes in fine, but after a second or two the picture breaks
>>> up. It then stabilises for a few seconds then breaks up again.
>>>
>>> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, 0.24-fixes, on an ION board with a TBS 6891.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe and see if it works on there.
>>
>> All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really believe it is a signal issue.
> Just tested 24seven with 0.25.2 from the Debian Multimedia repo using
> my old Hauppauge Nova-S Plus card - no problems to report.
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

Are you able to pull the settings you have for 4Seven, i.e., FEC, Signal
Rate, Freq, Pol, PIDs so that I can compare to my own.

Thanks,

Ian.

rongblor at googlemail

Aug 9, 2012, 11:32 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 09/08/2012 17:36, Ian Wilkinson wrote:
> On 08/08/2012 18:04, Robert Longbottom wrote:
>>
>> On 7 Aug 2012, at 08:43 PM, Ian Wilkinson <null [at] sgtwilko> wrote:
>>
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having issues receiving the channel 4Seven on Freesat?
>>>
>>> The channel tunes in fine, but after a second or two the picture breaks
>>> up. It then stabilises for a few seconds then breaks up again.
>>>
>>> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, 0.24-fixes, on an ION board with a TBS 6891.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe and see if it works on there.
>>
>> All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really believe it is a signal issue.
>>
>> Rob.
>>
> Hi Rob,
>
> From my checking in my Myth DB, it would seem like it's on the same Mux
> (is it a Mux when it's from satellite?) as channel 4 HD which I receive
> fine (apart from lip sync being ever so slightly out). LyngSat and King
> of Sat also agree and the settings they're showing match my Myth DB.
>
> Are you also on 0.24-fixes?
>
> Ian.

I'm using v0.25.1-58-g1d41f74

dtv_multiplex contains this data (used for 4seven and for C4HD)

mplexid: 44
sourceid: 1
transportid: 2068
networkid: 2
frequency: 11126000
inversion: a
symbolrate: 22000000
fec: 2/3
polarity: v
modulation: 8psk
bandwidth: NULL
lp_code_rate: NULL
transmission_mode: NULL
guard_interval: NULL
visible: 0
constellation: NULL
hierarchy: NULL
hp_code_rate: NULL
mod_sys: DVB-S
rolloff: NULL
sistandard: dvb
serviceversion: 13
updatetimestamp: 2011-11-23 20:08:50
default_authority:

According to lynsat, the fex should be 5/6, so I changed that, but it
hasn't made any difference. I still get picture breakup. In fact it
seems a bit worse since I changed the fec....

For some reason I can't get my STB to tune in any TV channels on that
transponder - it's not HD capable, but I'd still expect it to pickup 4seven.

C4HD works fine (before and after changing the fec).

Most odd.

Rob.

null at sgtwilko

Aug 10, 2012, 9:55 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 09/08/2012 19:32, Robert Longbottom wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 17:36, Ian Wilkinson wrote:
>> On 08/08/2012 18:04, Robert Longbottom wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on
>>> my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having
>>> done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general
>>> issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe
>>> and see if it works on there.
>>>
>>> All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really
>>> believe it is a signal issue.
>>>
>>> Rob.
>>>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> From my checking in my Myth DB, it would seem like it's on the same Mux
>> (is it a Mux when it's from satellite?) as channel 4 HD which I receive
>> fine (apart from lip sync being ever so slightly out). LyngSat and King
>> of Sat also agree and the settings they're showing match my Myth DB.
>>
>> Are you also on 0.24-fixes?
>>
>> Ian.
>
> I'm using v0.25.1-58-g1d41f74
>
> dtv_multiplex contains this data (used for 4seven and for C4HD)
>
> *************************** 1. row ***************************
> mplexid: 44
> sourceid: 1
> transportid: 2068
> networkid: 2
> frequency: 11126000
> inversion: a
> symbolrate: 22000000
> fec: 2/3
> polarity: v
> modulation: 8psk
> bandwidth: NULL
> lp_code_rate: NULL
> transmission_mode: NULL
> guard_interval: NULL
> visible: 0
> constellation: NULL
> hierarchy: NULL
> hp_code_rate: NULL
> mod_sys: DVB-S
> rolloff: NULL
> sistandard: dvb
> serviceversion: 13
> updatetimestamp: 2011-11-23 20:08:50
> default_authority:
>
> According to lynsat, the fex should be 5/6, so I changed that, but it
> hasn't made any difference. I still get picture breakup. In fact it
> seems a bit worse since I changed the fec....
>
> For some reason I can't get my STB to tune in any TV channels on that
> transponder - it's not HD capable, but I'd still expect it to pickup
> 4seven.
>
> C4HD works fine (before and after changing the fec).
>
> Most odd.
>
> Rob.

Hi Rob,

I had thought this Mux was DVB-S2, but both LyngSat and King of Sat
disagree, so I'm also stumped as to why your STB won't tune it in.
Maybe there is something wrong with the transmitted data.

I will check these against my settings when I get home.

It would be interesting to compare these to a working setup.

Ian.

knowledgejunkie at gmail

Aug 14, 2012, 12:31 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 9 August 2012 14:00, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 8 August 2012 18:04, Robert Longbottom <rongblor [at] googlemail> wrote:
>>

>> On 7 Aug 2012, at 08:43 PM, Ian Wilkinson <null [at] sgtwilko> wrote:
>>
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having issues receiving the channel 4Seven on Freesat?
>>>
>>> The channel tunes in fine, but after a second or two the picture breaks
>>> up. It then stabilises for a few seconds then breaks up again.
>>>
>>> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04, 0.24-fixes, on an ION board with a TBS 6891.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe and see if it works on there.
>>
>> All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really believe it is a signal issue.
>
> Just tested 24seven with 0.25.2 from the Debian Multimedia repo using
> my old Hauppauge Nova-S Plus card - no problems to report.

Just had another chance to check this issue out - I'm seeing the
frequent (~ every 5 seconds or so) picture breakups during the early
morning advertising block. Didn't see the problem the other day when I
posted the above.

Channel/mux details are as follows:

transportid: 2068
networkid: 2
frequency: 11126500
inversion: a
symbolrate: 22000000
fec: 5/6
polarity: v
modulation: qpsk
bandwidth: a
lp_code_rate: auto
transmission_mode: a
guard_interval: auto
visible: 0
constellation: qpsk
hierarchy: a
hp_code_rate: auto
mod_sys: UNDEFINED
rolloff: 0.35
sistandard: dvb
serviceversion: 33
updatetimestamp: 2012-07-31 03:50:37
default_authority:
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Note that these are broadly in agreement with Robert's posted details,
but there are some differences.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott

mythtv-list at dinkum

Aug 14, 2012, 12:44 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 14 Aug 2012, at 08:31, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 9 August 2012 14:00, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yes, I see exactly the same thing. I've just tried to find 4seven on my set top box but it seems I don't have it tuned in despite having done a full rescan last weekend. I wondered if it was a general issue with signal strength. I'll try to tune it in tomorrow maybe and see if it works on there.
>>>
>>> All my other sat channels work fine though, so I can't really believe it is a signal issue.
>>
>> Just tested 24seven with 0.25.2 from the Debian Multimedia repo using
>> my old Hauppauge Nova-S Plus card - no problems to report.
>
> Just had another chance to check this issue out - I'm seeing the
> frequent (~ every 5 seconds or so) picture breakups during the early
> morning advertising block. Didn't see the problem the other day when I
> posted the above.

This is just anecdotal so didn't post before but I had been seeing some breakup on Ch4 HD in the same mux (I don't use 4Seven). I later realised that the mux had changed to QPSK from 8PSK (to allow for 4 seven), although it seems that I was still able to record with the old settings for some months.

I have since retuned all muxes (BBC Olympics channels) and I've not seen any breakup since, this may be co-incidental but I noticed that Robert still has 8psk in his tuning data for this mux.

At the moment I'm only really watching Sailing programs from Ch4 HD that are on at 2 or 3am and even those from 6 months ago, so I'd put the breakup down to log rotations and XFS defrags going on at that time, now I'm not so sure.

Andre

> Channel/mux details are as follows:
>
> transportid: 2068
> networkid: 2
> frequency: 11126500
> inversion: a
> symbolrate: 22000000
> fec: 5/6
> polarity: v
> modulation: qpsk
> bandwidth: a
> lp_code_rate: auto
> transmission_mode: a
> guard_interval: auto
> visible: 0
> constellation: qpsk
> hierarchy: a
> hp_code_rate: auto
> mod_sys: UNDEFINED
> rolloff: 0.35
> sistandard: dvb
> serviceversion: 33
> updatetimestamp: 2012-07-31 03:50:37
> default_authority:
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>

> Note that these are broadly in agreement with Robert's posted details,
> but there are some differences.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Morrott
>
> MythTV Official wiki: http://mythtv.org/wiki/

J.Pilk at tesco

Aug 14, 2012, 4:54 AM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 14/08/12 08:44, Andre wrote:

> This is just anecdotal so didn't post before but I had been seeing some breakup on Ch4 HD in the same mux (I don't use 4Seven). I later realised that the mux had changed to QPSK from 8PSK (to allow for 4 seven), although it seems that I was still able to record with the old settings for some months.
>
> I have since retuned all muxes (BBC Olympics channels) and I've not seen any breakup since, this may be co-incidental but I noticed that Robert still has 8psk in his tuning data for this mux.
>
> At the moment I'm only really watching Sailing programs from Ch4 HD that are on at 2 or 3am and even those from 6 months ago, so I'd put the breakup down to log rotations and XFS defrags going on at that time, now I'm not so sure.
>
> Andre

And this is an aside, only marginally related to this topic - but since
just before the Olympics BBC FOUR on Freeview (dvb-t) has been using
video 544*576, audio 192kb/s, instead of its usual 720*576, 256 kb/s.
To make room for all the Red Button stuff, I suppose. My tv tells me
that it wants to retune most days at present.

John P

rongblor at googlemail

Aug 14, 2012, 2:04 PM

Re: Issues with 4Seven on Freesat... [In reply to]

On 14 Aug 2012, at 08:44 AM, Andre <mythtv-list [at] dinkum> wrote:

> This is just anecdotal so didn't post before but I had been seeing some breakup on Ch4 HD in the same mux (I don't use 4Seven). I later realised that the mux had changed to QPSK from 8PSK (to allow for 4 seven), although it seems that I was still able to record with the old settings for some months.
>
> I have since retuned all muxes (BBC Olympics channels) and I've not seen any breakup since, this may be co-incidental but I noticed that Robert still has 8psk in his tuning data for this mux.
>
> At the moment I'm only really watching Sailing programs from Ch4 HD that are on at 2 or 3am and even those from 6 months ago, so I'd put the breakup down to log rotations and XFS defrags going on at that time, now I'm not so sure.
>
> Andre

Hmm, I tried changing to qpsk (just updated the db and restarted mythbackend) but it hasn't made any difference.

C4HD still seems to work ok as well.

Most confusing.

Rob.