Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Gold medal for MythTV

dheianevans at gmail

Aug 4, 2012, 4:46 PM

Gold medal for MythTV

As we're halfway through the Olympics, I just wanted to give a gold
medal to the MythTV developers and all the wonderfully helpful people
on this list. Been OTA and MythTV since April 2011 and I simply love
it and this community,

Thanks everyone!

monkeypet at gmail

Aug 4, 2012, 9:04 PM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

It started to look like 0.25-fixes wasn't going to cut it, but it has been
rock solid for me during the Olympics after some patches went in during the
last 3 weeks. Family loves it when mythtv skips all the commercials AND we
can fast forward past those stupid NBC commentaries!

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans [at] gmail> wrote:

> As we're halfway through the Olympics, I just wanted to give a gold
> medal to the MythTV developers and all the wonderfully helpful people
> on this list. Been OTA and MythTV since April 2011 and I simply love
> it and this community,
>
> Thanks everyone!

tom at redpepperracing

Aug 5, 2012, 12:38 PM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

Here here! At any given time I could have 5 different channels
broadcasting Olympic coverage, and I'm recording them all, the only
hitch is that I ran out of disk space! My daughter is not very
diligent at deleting after watching. I think this is my fourth
Olympics with MythTV, and honestly I think all of them have worked out
well.

Tom

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
> It started to look like 0.25-fixes wasn't going to cut it, but it has been
> rock solid for me during the Olympics after some patches went in during the
> last 3 weeks. Family loves it when mythtv skips all the commercials AND we
> can fast forward past those stupid NBC commentaries!
>

> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> As we're halfway through the Olympics, I just wanted to give a gold
>> medal to the MythTV developers and all the wonderfully helpful people
>> on this list. Been OTA and MythTV since April 2011 and I simply love
>> it and this community,
>>
>> Thanks everyone!

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 6:39 PM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Tom Lichti <tom [at] redpepperracing> wrote:
> Here here! At any given time I could have 5 different channels
> broadcasting Olympic coverage, and I'm recording them all, the only
> hitch is that I ran out of disk space! My daughter is not very
> diligent at deleting after watching. I think this is my fourth
> Olympics with MythTV, and honestly I think all of them have worked out
> well.
>
> Tom
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
>> It started to look like 0.25-fixes wasn't going to cut it, but it has been
>> rock solid for me during the Olympics after some patches went in during the
>> last 3 weeks. Family loves it when mythtv skips all the commercials AND we
>> can fast forward past those stupid NBC commentaries!
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>> As we're halfway through the Olympics, I just wanted to give a gold
>>> medal to the MythTV developers and all the wonderfully helpful people
>>> on this list. Been OTA and MythTV since April 2011 and I simply love
>>> it and this community,

8-12hr recoding blocks, 0.25-fixes not skipping a beat, I wish NBC's
coverage was as good as MythTV's ability to record it...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

anothersname at googlemail

Aug 6, 2012, 7:44 PM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

> 8-12hr recoding blocks, 0.25-fixes not skipping a beat, I wish NBC's
> coverage was as good as MythTV's ability to record it...

My family love mythtv

http://tinypic.com/r/2d13fqx/6

being doing this daily and 0.25fixes hasn't missed one recording yet........

ajmccauley at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 12:41 AM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

> > 8-12hr recoding blocks, 0.25-fixes not skipping a beat, I wish NBC's
> > coverage was as good as MythTV's ability to record it...
> >

> My family love mythtv
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/2d13fqx/6
>
> being doing this daily and 0.25fixes hasn't missed one recording
> yet........
>
> While I love mythtv, the .25fixes i am running has been less then
stellar. I am getting failed (0b) recordings about 5% of the time. On at
least one occasion, the primetime coverage failed (which I identified and
canceled/rerecorded about 1h in.)

Perhaps it is because I have not been installing updates for the past 4
weeks (I instituted a freeze because I did not want to have issues during
the Olympics)

Am I the only one having this type of problem? I am using Hauppauge a 950Q
and 1200 to record OTA in the US.

Andrew

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:41 AM, Andrew McCauley <ajmccauley [at] gmail> wrote:
> While I love mythtv, the .25fixes i am running has been less then stellar.
> I am getting failed (0b) recordings about 5% of the time. On at least one
> occasion, the primetime coverage failed (which I identified and
> canceled/rerecorded about 1h in.)
>
> Perhaps it is because I have not been installing updates for the past 4
> weeks (I instituted a freeze because I did not want to have issues during
> the Olympics)
>
> Am I the only one having this type of problem? I am using Hauppauge a 950Q
> and 1200 to record OTA in the US.

I'd start another thread with that issue. my QAM tuners have never had
issues with Myth, only my Ceton (early on) and the HDPVRs(which after
a kernel upgrade look to be 100%, or damn close enough to where I
haven't noticed yet)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

convbox at jamespurl

Aug 13, 2012, 12:28 PM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

I'd like to chime in and say thanks to the devs as well! The Olympics on
Myth were a success here! There were times (with the soccer, basketball and
3D channels going), that I was hitting 7 feeds at once in my system. Like
others, my only problem was the space--especially when there were multiple
day-long pieces tied to the same backend.

Now, as to WATCHING all that content--we'll be watching Olympics for months
:) I'm almost glad its "over" so that I don't have to worry about spoilers
as much anymore :)

james

monkeypet at gmail

Aug 15, 2012, 9:17 AM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM, James Purl <convbox [at] jamespurl> wrote:

> I'd like to chime in and say thanks to the devs as well! The Olympics on
> Myth were a success here! There were times (with the soccer, basketball and
> 3D channels going), that I was hitting 7 feeds at once in my system. Like
> others, my only problem was the space--especially when there were multiple
> day-long pieces tied to the same backend.

I hit the space issue also while recording the closing ceremony. Myth
doesn't handle this case well and starts to freak out. I'll still give
mythtv a Gold Medal.

> Now, as to WATCHING all that content--we'll be watching Olympics for
> months :) I'm almost glad its "over" so that I don't have to worry about
> spoilers as much anymore :)
>
> james

evuraan at gmail

Aug 15, 2012, 11:25 AM

Re: Gold medal for MythTV [In reply to]

>> I'd like to chime in and say thanks to the devs as well! The Olympics on
>> Myth were a success here! There were times (with the soccer, basketball and
>> 3D channels going), that I was hitting 7 feeds at once in my system. Like
>> others, my only problem was the space--especially when there were multiple
>> day-long pieces tied to the same backend.

allow me to express my thanks with a true story, from last week:

we were watching "<redacted> Best Commercials" on mythtv and my family
goes, "how come we haven't seen any of these commercials before..?"

then we all LOL'd. :)