Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

A Plea to the Programmers

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

maisel at lobo

Aug 1, 2012, 8:34 AM

A Plea to the Programmers

Hi!

My wife is blind, and severely physically handicapped. She does enjoy
her TV and music. She is able to listen to her shows, etc. She easily
learns the functions of remote controls, etc. However, what is really
needed is someone to write a voice add-on for MythBuntu.

It should be very simple, using Festival or whatever speech program they
want. All that's needed really is for whatever text that happens to be
highlighted on the screen/menu/etc to be spoken!

She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if nobody
sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing because she
can't see it!

If someone would just write a simple addon to speak whatever is
highlighted, that would be perfect for her.

I would, but I'm no programmer.

So I'm asking, if anyone feels like taking it on, please let me know.
You would make her VERY happy, and end a whole lot of frustration for her.

We are using the latest MythBuntu.

Thank you!

dheitmueller at kernellabs

Aug 1, 2012, 8:41 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Lee Maisel <maisel [at] lobo> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My wife is blind, and severely physically handicapped. She does enjoy her TV
> and music. She is able to listen to her shows, etc. She easily learns the
> functions of remote controls, etc. However, what is really needed is someone
> to write a voice add-on for MythBuntu.
>
> It should be very simple, using Festival or whatever speech program they
> want. All that's needed really is for whatever text that happens to be
> highlighted on the screen/menu/etc to be spoken!
>
> She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if nobody
> sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing because she can't
> see it!
>
> If someone would just write a simple addon to speak whatever is highlighted,
> that would be perfect for her.
>
> I would, but I'm no programmer.
>
> So I'm asking, if anyone feels like taking it on, please let me know. You
> would make her VERY happy, and end a whole lot of frustration for her.
>
> We are using the latest MythBuntu.

It seems like this is all about getting the Qt Accessibility stuff
working. Anybody have any experience in that area? Are code changes
typically required?

I found this article related to Qt Accessibility on Linux, but it's a
bit ambiguous.

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/08/23/accessibility-on-linux/

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 1, 2012, 8:47 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On 08/01/2012 11:41 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Lee Maisel wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> My wife is blind, and severely physically handicapped. She does enjoy her TV
>> and music. She is able to listen to her shows, etc. She easily learns the
>> functions of remote controls, etc. However, what is really needed is someone
>> to write a voice add-on for MythBuntu.
>>
>> It should be very simple, using Festival or whatever speech program they
>> want. All that's needed really is for whatever text that happens to be
>> highlighted on the screen/menu/etc to be spoken!
>>
>> She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if nobody
>> sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing because she can't
>> see it!
>>
>> If someone would just write a simple addon to speak whatever is highlighted,
>> that would be perfect for her.
>>
>> I would, but I'm no programmer.
>>
>> So I'm asking, if anyone feels like taking it on, please let me know. You
>> would make her VERY happy, and end a whole lot of frustration for her.
>>
>> We are using the latest MythBuntu.
> It seems like this is all about getting the Qt Accessibility stuff
> working. Anybody have any experience in that area? Are code changes
> typically required?
>
> I found this article related to Qt Accessibility on Linux, but it's a
> bit ambiguous.
>
> http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/08/23/accessibility-on-linux/

We'd almost definitely need some support code, too, since MythTV is
built without using standard Qt widgets, which are designed for use in a
"2-foot" user interface, since MythTV is typically used as more of a
10-foot user interface.

Mike

maisel at lobo

Aug 1, 2012, 10:07 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

I don't think it has to be a whole "screen reader" setup, just simply
speak whatever happens to be highlighted at the time.
I know the mythremote app seems to be able to tell you what is active on
it's little display up top, so it's getting the information somewhere.

Thanks!

Lee

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 10:38 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Lee Maisel <maisel [at] lobo> wrote:
> I don't think it has to be a whole "screen reader" setup, just simply speak
> whatever happens to be highlighted at the time.
> I know the mythremote app seems to be able to tell you what is active on
> it's little display up top, so it's getting the information somewhere.

Similar to what is sent to the LCD screen I imagine?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 1, 2012, 11:21 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On 08/01/2012 01:38 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Lee Maisel<maisel [at] lobo> wrote:
>> I don't think it has to be a whole "screen reader" setup, just simply speak
>> whatever happens to be highlighted at the time.
>> I know the mythremote app seems to be able to tell you what is active on
>> it's little display up top, so it's getting the information somewhere.
> Similar to what is sent to the LCD screen I imagine?

Pretty sure that's just "net scraping"--using frontend network control
to poll the current location. You could write a script that does the
same--and maybe have a remote button to trigger the query (rather than
constantly polling it), then feed the reply to festival --tts .

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#query or, for
example, the query_loc section of
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythremctl.py (which could be cut down to a
very small Python script that basically just does the
frontend.sendQuery('location') to get the info you need ).

That said, official support for TTS would be wonderful. But this may
give you a workaround until we finally get there.

Mike

ylee at pobox

Aug 1, 2012, 4:36 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Lee Maisel <maisel [at] lobo> says:
> She easily learns the functions of remote controls, etc.

[...]

> She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if
> nobody sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing
> because she can't see it!

Something that may help in the meanwhile is using JumpPoints. If your
wife ever gets lost, by setting up a button to get her to (say) "Main
Menu", and/or "Play music", or "TV Recording Playback", she will be
able to return to a known good location and proceed from there.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg

maisel at lobo

Aug 1, 2012, 8:42 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

That's a great Idea! I will certainly set that up too anyway!

A big reason for having the talking function is so that the tv guide
will talk so so she can select a show or a recording.

Thanks!

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Lee Maisel <maisel [at] lobo> says:
>
>> She easily learns the functions of remote controls, etc.
>>

> [...]
>

>> She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if
>> nobody sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing
>> because she can't see it!
>>

> Something that may help in the meanwhile is using JumpPoints. If your
> wife ever gets lost, by setting up a button to get her to (say) "Main
> Menu", and/or "Play music", or "TV Recording Playback", she will be
> able to return to a known good location and proceed from there.

monkeypet at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 11:29 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

I wonder if you can get the makers of the android app mythmote (android
mythtv remote app) to add accessibility features to their app? For
example, voice cmd interface, tv guide spoken word. I think the
smartphones are probably even more unusable for the visually impaired.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Lee Maisel <maisel [at] lobo> wrote:

> That's a great Idea! I will certainly set that up too anyway!
>
> A big reason for having the talking function is so that the tv guide will
> talk so so she can select a show or a recording.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Yeechang Lee wrote:
>
>> Lee Maisel <maisel [at] lobo> says:
>>

>>> She easily learns the functions of remote controls, etc.
>>>

>> [...]
>>

>>> She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if
>>> nobody sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing
>>> because she can't see it!
>>>

>> Something that may help in the meanwhile is using JumpPoints. If your
>> wife ever gets lost, by setting up a button to get her to (say) "Main
>> Menu", and/or "Play music", or "TV Recording Playback", she will be
>> able to return to a known good location and proceed from there.

peter_s_d at fastmail

Aug 2, 2012, 12:18 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012, Lee Maisel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My wife is blind, and severely physically handicapped. She does enjoy
> her TV and music. She is able to listen to her shows, etc. She easily
> learns the functions of remote controls, etc. However, what is really
> needed is someone to write a voice add-on for MythBuntu.

I believe that the man behind Knoppix also has a blind wife. Her
needs might not be the same as your wife's needs, but scratch around
there first to see if the problem has already been solved. If it has,
try to get it imported into MythTV. If it has nearly been solved,
half the work has been done.

> It should be very simple, using Festival or whatever speech program they
> want. All that's needed really is for whatever text that happens to be
> highlighted on the screen/menu/etc to be spoken!
>
> She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if nobody
> sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing because she
> can't see it!
>
> If someone would just write a simple addon to speak whatever is
> highlighted, that would be perfect for her.
>
> I would, but I'm no programmer.
>
> So I'm asking, if anyone feels like taking it on, please let me know.
> You would make her VERY happy, and end a whole lot of frustration for her.
>
> We are using the latest MythBuntu.

I have not looked at it, but KnoppMyth became LinHES.

> Thank you!

blind Pete
Sig goes here...

maisel at lobo

Aug 2, 2012, 6:44 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Thanks Pete!

I will definitely follow that lead, sounds like a good chance something
would have been done for her there!

Lee

blind Pete wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Aug 2012, Lee Maisel wrote:
>
> > Hi!
>

> > My wife is blind, and severely physically handicapped. She does enjoy
>
> > her TV and music. She is able to listen to her shows, etc. She easily
>
> > learns the functions of remote controls, etc. However, what is really
>
> > needed is someone to write a voice add-on for MythBuntu.
>

> I believe that the man behind Knoppix also has a blind wife. Her
>
> needs might not be the same as your wife's needs, but scratch around
>
> there first to see if the problem has already been solved. If it has,
>
> try to get it imported into MythTV. If it has nearly been solved,
>
> half the work has been done.

maisel at lobo

Aug 2, 2012, 6:50 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

I did find THIS:

Adriane Knoppix
Knoppix

Adriane Knoppix is a variation that is intended for blind and visually
impaired people, which can be used entirely without vision oriented
output devices. It was released in the third quarter of 2007 as a Live
CD. Adriane Knoppix is named after Adriane Knopper, the wife of Klaus
Knopper, the developer of Knoppix. Adriane has a visual impairment, and
has been assisting Klaus with the development of the software.[11] The
name Adriane is also a backronym for "Audio Desktop Reference
Implementation And Networking Environment".

Adriane Knoppix is intended not only for the blind but also for
beginners who donít know much about computers. It uses the SUSE Blinux
screen reader with a phoneme generator and speech engine for normal output.

maisel at lobo

Aug 13, 2012, 6:00 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Check THIS out!!!!

http://ncam.wgbh.org/invent_build/analog/speech-solutions-for-next-generation-media-centers/talking-mythtv-installation-in

After lots of searching I found this, and I will sure give it a try!!!!

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Lee

maisel at lobo

Aug 13, 2012, 7:12 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

I'm still pretty excited but, apparently these changes only apply to one
version of MythTV on Ubuntu.

According to the Tech Notes at:
http://ncam.wgbh.org/invent_build/analog/speech-solutions-for-next-generation-media-centers/technical-notes-on-talking-myt

"Talking MythTV was implemented by making changes to the Ubuntu 8.04
MythTV 0.21 source tree."
Is there someone who could look at the source and see how to get it to
work with the current MythTV setup?
I am using .25 (MythBuntu distro) and have spent many hours configuring
and working on it to get it working just right on our hardware. I would
hate to start over with an older distro and end up having things break
when updated.

Thanks!!

Lee

Lee Maisel wrote:
> Check THIS out!!!!
>
> http://ncam.wgbh.org/invent_build/analog/speech-solutions-for-next-generation-media-centers/talking-mythtv-installation-in
>

> After lots of searching I found this, and I will sure give it a try!!!!
>
> I'll let you know how it pans out.
>
> Lee

joe at thefrys

Aug 13, 2012, 10:09 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

> I'm still pretty excited but, apparently these changes only apply to one
> version of MythTV on Ubuntu.
>
> According to the Tech Notes at: http://ncam.wgbh.org/invent_**
> build/analog/speech-solutions-**for-next-generation-media-**
> centers/technical-notes-on-**talking-myt<http://ncam.wgbh.org/invent_build/analog/speech-solutions-for-next-generation-media-centers/technical-notes-on-talking-myt>
>
> "Talking MythTV was implemented by making changes to the Ubuntu 8.04
> MythTV 0.21 source tree."
> Is there someone who could look at the source and see how to get it to
> work with the current MythTV setup?
> I am using .25 (MythBuntu distro) and have spent many hours configuring
> and working on it to get it working just right on our hardware. I would
> hate to start over with an older distro and end up having things break when
> updated.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Lee
>

> Lee Maisel wrote:
>
>> Check THIS out!!!!
>>
>> http://ncam.wgbh.org/invent_**build/analog/speech-solutions-**
>> for-next-generation-media-**centers/talking-mythtv-**installation-in<http://ncam.wgbh.org/invent_build/analog/speech-solutions-for-next-generation-media-centers/talking-mythtv-installation-in>
>>
>> After lots of searching I found this, and I will sure give it a try!!!!
>>
>> I'll let you know how it pans out.
>>
>> Lee

Might be worth a post in the dev mailing list... I'm not a programmer, but
I'd imagine that because most of the leg work is already done, you might
get a dev to take up the cause. I personally think that would be an
AWESOME feature for mythtv... sure not many people would use it, but just
having it available would give mythtv a lot of very positive attention...
perhaps attracting more developers?

maisel at lobo

Oct 1, 2012, 7:19 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Thanks man, She's getting frustrated and I need to get this to work for
her. I appreciate the help!
Lee

maisel at lobo

Oct 1, 2012, 6:16 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

It's the latest distribution of MythBuntu. .25 Installed via the CD.

I'm thinking if someone is intimate with building "Themes" for MythTV,
they should have all the information needed.
Using something like festival to read the screens or whatever is
highlighted (preferred) should be easy.
I also have noticed that since I have a soundcard on the motherboard,
AND the HDMI output, maybe the speech output could go thru the alternate
soundcard.

Thanks man!

Lee

seven at seven

Oct 1, 2012, 10:09 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On 2 October 2012 11:16, Lee Maisel <maisel [at] lobo> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I had hoped that anything highlighted was simple text,
>> and a
>> rudimentary reader could just vocalize what's selected.
>>

>> I have no idea how screen readers are setup and/or used,
>> so I am going to start at ZERO. Also I never fully looked
>> into the mythtv codebase, again starting from ZERO.
>>
>> I am going to google search my way around for generic
>> information first, then get familiar with the mythtv
>> codebase, then try to see how difficult it is to alter the
>> codebase. My plan to start on the mythtv 0.26 codebase.
>>
>> Don't get your hopes up though, i need to ramp up on so
>> many things :)
>>

>> Thanks for your help!!
>>
>> Lee
>>

>> Monkey Pet wrote:
>>

>> Hi Lee, can you give some common menu navigation
>> that your
>> wife would use? I am not a myth-developer, but I

What about utilising the LCDd function that feeds the current menu item to
an LCD/VFD but rather to something that can volcalise?

Cheers,

Anthony

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 1, 2012, 10:46 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Anthony Giggins
<seven [at] seven> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> I am going to google search my way around for generic
>>> information first, then get familiar with the mythtv
>>> codebase, then try to see how difficult it is to alter the
>>> codebase. My plan to start on the mythtv 0.26 codebase.
>>>
>>> Don't get your hopes up though, i need to ramp up on so
>>> many things :)
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help!!
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>

>>> Monkey Pet wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Lee, can you give some common menu navigation
>>> that your
>>> wife would use? I am not a myth-developer, but I
>>> am willing to
>>> poke around the code.
>>> Thanks!!
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>

> What about utilising the LCDd function that feeds the current menu item to
> an LCD/VFD but rather to something that can volcalise?

"Something that can vocalise" would be festival I think.

Good idea on the LCDd front.

maisel at lobo

Oct 1, 2012, 10:57 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Anthony Giggins wrote:

> [...]
> codebase, then try to see how difficult it is to
> alter the
> codebase. My plan to start on the mythtv 0.26
> codebase.
>
> Don't get your hopes up though, i need to ramp up
> on so
> many things :)
>

> Thanks for your help!!
>
> Lee
>

> Monkey Pet wrote:
>

> Hi Lee, can you give some common menu
> navigation
> that your
> wife would use? I am not a myth-developer,
> but I
> am willing to
> poke around the code.
> Thanks!!
>
> Lee
>

> What about utilising the LCDd function that feeds the current menu
> item to an LCD/VFD but rather to something that can volcalise?

That's a GENIUS Idea!
I'll bet that would work! Or modify it to pipe the same data to
Festival, (I assume it's ASCII)

Lee

maisel at lobo

Oct 1, 2012, 11:38 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Lee Maisel wrote:

>> What about utilising the LCDd function that feeds the current menu
>> item to an LCD/VFD but rather to something that can volcalise?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Anthony
>>

> That's a GENIUS Idea!
> I'll bet that would work! Or modify it to pipe the same data to
> Festival, (I assume it's ASCII)
>
> Lee

Here's a whole discussion about LCDd and MythTV:
Old, but maybe still helpful.

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-April/220161.html

Lee

nick.rout at gmail

Oct 2, 2012, 11:46 AM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Anthony Giggins
> <seven [at] seven> wrote:

>> What about utilising the LCDd function that feeds the current menu item to
>> an LCD/VFD but rather to something that can volcalise?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Anthony
>

> "Something that can vocalise" would be festival I think.
>
> Good idea on the LCDd front.

Looking into lcdproc, it appears that (unsurprisingly) LCDd joins to two things:

1. A client, which feeds info to be displayed;
2. A driver, which sends the info to a particular piece of hardware.

I have never used an LCD display with mythtv, and I cannot seem to get
the curses driver to work, so I am a bit lost.

But the key to this must be a driver that takes the output of LCDd and
feeds it to festival.

Or do we simply need to make /dev/lcd0 a link to some named pipe to festival?

Buggered if I know.

gharris at eklo

Oct 2, 2012, 12:13 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:

> Looking into lcdproc, it appears that (unsurprisingly) LCDd joins to two
> things:
>
> 1. A client, which feeds info to be displayed;
> 2. A driver, which sends the info to a particular piece of hardware.
>
> I have never used an LCD display with mythtv, and I cannot seem to get
> the curses driver to work, so I am a bit lost.
>
> But the key to this must be a driver that takes the output of LCDd and
> feeds it to festival.
>
> Or do we simply need to make /dev/lcd0 a link to some named pipe to
> festival?
>
> Buggered if I know.

mythdroid (a mythtv-on-android app) uses a server-side perl script called
MDD that "...intercepts information that is sent to the LCD and makes it
available to MythDroid. Note that you don't need an LCD for this to work."
Looks like that might be a good start.
http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/wiki/MDD

maisel at lobo

Oct 2, 2012, 1:50 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Glenn Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail
> <mailto:nick.rout [at] gmail>> wrote:
>
> Looking into lcdproc, it appears that (unsurprisingly) LCDd joins
> to two things:
>
> 1. A client, which feeds info to be displayed;
> 2. A driver, which sends the info to a particular piece of hardware.
>
> I have never used an LCD display with mythtv, and I cannot seem to get
> the curses driver to work, so I am a bit lost.
>
> But the key to this must be a driver that takes the output of LCDd and
> feeds it to festival.
>
> Or do we simply need to make /dev/lcd0 a link to some named pipe
> to festival?
>
> Buggered if I know.
>

> mythdroid (a mythtv-on-android app) uses a server-side perl script
> called MDD that "...intercepts information that is sent to the LCD and
> makes it available to MythDroid. Note that you don't need an LCD for
> this to work." Looks like that might be a good start.
> http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/wiki/MDD

I think this is the right approach, as from what I understand, the LCD
function sends the important information to an LCD screen (or whatever
output we want with a little work) so that someone can control the
system without a screen. In her case, if it just reads aloud whatever
is highlighted or selected, (menu item, listing title, etc) that would
be sufficient. She just needs it to speak those items in order to
navigate or select a channel or recording.

Thanks!!!

Lee

dheianevans at gmail

Oct 2, 2012, 4:12 PM

Re: A Plea to the Programmers [In reply to]

Just thinking out loud here...and not sure where the various
developers are country-wise, but a proposal might be able to get made
to some national accessibility group or charity for a grant to develop
this quickly. I think it would be a huge kudo for MythTV to be able to
provide features not even available from the large cable/satellite
corporations.