Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Recordings from nonexistent channels

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Jul 30, 2012, 12:51 PM

Recordings from nonexistent channels

Hi there

I'm on 0.24-fixes.

Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program that I expected to be recorded).

Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording in question was recorded on a channel that does not exist. Example:

Finished recording Anvil: the Story of Anvil: channel 2019

Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks, Jan

anothersname at googlemail

Jul 30, 2012, 4:30 PM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 30 July 2012 20:51, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm on 0.24-fixes.
>
> Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program that I expected to be recorded).
>
> Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording in question was recorded on a channel that does not exist. Example:
>
> Finished recording Anvil: the Story of Anvil: channel 2019
>
> Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).
>
> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
>
> Thanks, Jan

Jan

Try select * from channels where channum = '2019';

and see what you get.

anothersname at googlemail

Jul 30, 2012, 4:31 PM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 31 July 2012 00:30, Another Sillyname <anothersname [at] googlemail> wrote:
> On 30 July 2012 20:51, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I'm on 0.24-fixes.
>>
>> Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program that I expected to be recorded).
>>
>> Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording in question was recorded on a channel that does not exist. Example:
>>
>> Finished recording Anvil: the Story of Anvil: channel 2019
>>
>> Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).
>>
>> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
>>
>> Thanks, Jan
>
> Jan
>
> Try select * from channels where channum = '2019';
>
> and see what you get.

sorry typo

select * from channel where channum = '2019';

anothersname at googlemail

Jul 30, 2012, 4:39 PM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 31 July 2012 00:31, Another Sillyname <anothersname [at] googlemail> wrote:
> On 31 July 2012 00:30, Another Sillyname <anothersname [at] googlemail> wrote:
>> On 30 July 2012 20:51, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> I'm on 0.24-fixes.
>>>
>>> Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program that I expected to be recorded).
>>>
>>> Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording in question was recorded on a channel that does not exist. Example:
>>>
>>> Finished recording Anvil: the Story of Anvil: channel 2019
>>>
>>> Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).
>>>
>>> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Jan
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> Try select * from channels where channum = '2019';
>>
>> and see what you get.
>
> sorry typo
>
> select * from channel where channum = '2019';

As an afterthought.......

select * from record;

and see if any of the recording rules were setup pointing at an old
chanid, if you've rebuilt the box since the original scan some of your
recording rules may have become orphaned.

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Jul 31, 2012, 5:19 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/31/2012 01:39 AM, Another Sillyname wrote:

>> select * from channel where channum = '2019';
>
> As an afterthought.......
>
> select * from record;
>
> and see if any of the recording rules were setup pointing at an old
> chanid, if you've rebuilt the box since the original scan some of your
> recording rules may have become orphaned.

mysql> select * from channel where chanid='2019';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from record where chanid <> 0 and chanid not in (select chanid from channel);
Empty set (0.00 sec)

I have lots of recording rules with chanid=0 (i.e. matching all channels).

mikep at randomtraveller

Jul 31, 2012, 8:24 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 31/07/12 13:19, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 01:39 AM, Another Sillyname wrote:
>
>>> select * from channel where channum = '2019';
>>
>> As an afterthought.......
>>
>> select * from record;
>>
>> and see if any of the recording rules were setup pointing at an old
>> chanid, if you've rebuilt the box since the original scan some of your
>> recording rules may have become orphaned.
>
> mysql> select * from channel where chanid='2019';
> Empty set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> select * from record where chanid <> 0 and chanid not in (select chanid from channel);
> Empty set (0.00 sec)
>
> I have lots of recording rules with chanid=0 (i.e. matching all channels).

Try looking for channum instead of chanid. chanid is an arbitrary record key
which may or may not correspond to some channel. channum is what your provider
thinks is the channel number.

--

Mike Perkins

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Jul 31, 2012, 9:19 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/31/2012 05:24 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Try looking for channum instead of chanid. chanid is an
> arbitrary record key which may or may not correspond to some
> channel. channum is what your provider thinks is the channel number.

mysql> select * from channel where channum='2019';Empty set (0.00 sec)

Which other tables should I consult? (Is there a way to query the schema for tables that contain a certain column name?)

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Jul 31, 2012, 11:17 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/31/2012 06:19 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> mysql> select * from channel where channum='2019';
> Empty set (0.00 sec)
>
> Which other tables should I consult? (Is there a way to query the schema for tables that contain a certain column name?)

Answering my own question:

mysql> select table_name from information_schema.columns where lower(column_name)='channum';
+------------+
| table_name |

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jul 31, 2012, 11:59 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/30/2012 03:51 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm on 0.24-fixes.
>
> Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program that I expected to be recorded).
>
> Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording in question was recorded on a channel that does not exist. Example:
>
> Finished recording Anvil: the Story of Anvil: channel 2019
>
> Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).
>
> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

So, as I'm sure you're aware, MythTV never makes up channels nor channel
ID's (and that message should be printing a channel ID)--it operates
only on the data that's in the database. Therefore, if that truly
is--and was at the time of the recording--a non-existent channel ID,
then there's likely some sort of memory corruption going on.

To figure out what's happening, it's important to look closely at what
you're actually seeing in the UI when you look at the recording in Watch
Recordings. What does the theme show you for channel callsign and/or
name and/or number? Does it give any information or hints that may
allow you to find that channel in the channel editor in mythtv-setup?
Even if the recording was a 0-byte recording, it should show metadata in
Watch Recordings until you delete it (at least if MythTV did not report
errors in trying to record it, where the "Finished recording" message
seems to indicate it didn't). When you hit INFO on the recording, does
it provide any additional information that's useful?

Digging through the database may not be the best or easiest way to find
out what's going on--at least not without at least using the other
easier-to-find information about the recording that's in mythfrontend.

Mike

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Jul 31, 2012, 12:41 PM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/31/2012 08:59 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Digging through the database may not be the best or easiest
> way to find out what's going on--at least not without at least
> using the other easier-to-find information about the recording
> that's in mythfrontend.

Understood, and thank you.

I've been looking at this problem using MythWeb and deleting the
recordings when I spot them, in order to avoid frustration on the
part of my better half (and also in order to give the system
permission to re-record the show as soon as possible, as opposed
to only when I get a chance to look at it when at home).

These failures show up in the Recorded Programmes section of
MythWeb with a "-" where you'd expect the channel icon to be.

Just found another-one in Mythweb and the channel as shown in the
frontend is "#2019 #2019". The other metadata looks OK (title,
date/time, description, screenshot, ...). Here it is in
recordedprogram (ooh there's two):

root [at] zota:~# echo "select * from recordedprogram where chanid=2019;" | mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Enter password:
chanid starttime endtime title subtitle description categorycategory_type airdate stars previouslyshown title_pronounce stereo subtitled hdtv closecaptioned partnumber parttotal seriesid originalairdate showtype colorcode syndicatedepisodenumber programid manualid generic listingsource first last audioprop subtitletypes videoprop
2019 2012-06-26 03:45:00 2012-06-26 05:00:00 Girl Model An exploration into the controversial supply of young female models to the Japanese modelling industry, focusing on 13-year-old Nadya Vall and her journey from Siberia to Tokyo. American scout Ashley promises her a lucrative career, but Nadya is ill-prepared for the culture of Japanese casting sessions. film movie 2011 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 240695868 NULL MV240695868 0 0 40 0 NORMAL WIDESCREEN
2019 2012-07-30 03:15:00 2012-07-30 04:35:00 Anvil: the Story of Anvil Sacha Gervasi's documentary follows Canadian rockers Anvil as they embark on one final push for fame. Despite playing a key role in the birth of speed metal and inspiring bands such as Metallica and Guns N' Roses, Anvil have never succeeded in achieving the recognition they deserved. Now in their 50s, the band head into the studio to record their 13th album and set off on a ramshackle tour of Europe. film movie 2008 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 249389452 NULL MV249389452 0 0 4 0 1 NORMAL WIDESCREEN

The reason why I've been looking at recording rules etc is to
find out why the backend is trying to record from this mystical
channel in the first place; I fully accept that it can't invent
this channel all by itself so it has to be somewhere in the
database.

Thanks, Jan

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jul 31, 2012, 1:36 PM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/31/2012 03:41 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 08:59 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Digging through the database may not be the best or easiest
>> way to find out what's going on--at least not without at least
>> using the other easier-to-find information about the recording
>> that's in mythfrontend.
> Understood, and thank you.
>
> I've been looking at this problem using MythWeb and deleting the
> recordings when I spot them, in order to avoid frustration on the
> part of my better half (and also in order to give the system
> permission to re-record the show as soon as possible, as opposed
> to only when I get a chance to look at it when at home).

I'll look at the rest later, but wanted to mention that you can ensure
MythTV can re-record the episodes by selecting the episode in Watch
Recordings, then using MENU|Recording Options|Allow this program to
re-record , and you don't need to delete the recording, so you could
keep it around for some debugging. If you also change the recording
title (MENU|Recording Options|Change Recording Title), it won't be
listed with the good recordings of that series, and confuse other users
of the box. (Since it seems it's happening frequently, feel free to
delete them using MythWeb until you're around the box where you can
allow re-record/edit title for one.)

Mike

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 9:28 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/31/2012 08:17 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> select table_name from information_schema.columns where lower(column_name)='channum';

Continuing down this road:

mysql> select table_name from information_schema.columns where lower(column_name)='chanid';
+-----------------+
| table_name |
+-----------------+
| channel |
| channelgroup |
| credits |
| eit_cache |
| inuseprograms |
| jobqueue |
| oldrecorded |
| pidcache |
| program |
| programgenres |
| programrating |
| record |
| record_tmp |
| recorded |
| recordedcredits |
| recordedfile |
| recordedmarkup |
| recordedprogram |
| recordedrating |
| recordedseek |
| recordmatch |
| tvchain |
+-----------------+
22 rows in set (0.03 sec)

So then I looked for tables which have records whose chanid value is 2019. These tables match:

credits
oldrecorded
recorded
recordedcredits
recordedmarkup
recordedprogram
recordedseek

Not that I know the schema well at all, but these table names don't look like they could influence future recordings. So I'm still puzzled.

Jan

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 1, 2012, 9:29 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/31/2012 03:41 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> The reason why I've been looking at recording rules etc is to
> find out why the backend is trying to record from this mystical
> channel in the first place; I fully accept that it can't invent
> this channel all by itself so it has to be somewhere in the
> database.

Are you using mirobridge or some other "shove some non-recording into
Watch Recordings rather than put it in Video Library" type external
thing, by any chance? Does it make up some channel ID for the stuff it
inserts?

Mike

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 9:39 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 08/01/2012 06:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Are you using mirobridge or some other "shove some non-recording into Watch Recordings rather than put it in Video Library" type external thing, by any chance? Does it make up some channel ID for the stuff it inserts?

No I am not.

The only thing messing with the database is MythTV itself, and these updates which I run at the end of my nightly grabber script:

update program set category='Entertainment' where lower(category)='film' and lower(title) in ('films & sterren');
update program set category='GotDVD' where lower(title) in (select lower(title) from dvdsinmypossession);
update program set category='NotFilm' where lower(title) in (select lower(title) from titlesnottoberecorded);
# Assume that adventures longer than 85 minutes are films
update program set category='film' where lower(category)='adventure' and endtime-starttime>8500.0;

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Aug 6, 2012, 7:02 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 07/30/2012 09:51 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm on 0.24-fixes.
>
> Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings
> fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded
> (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not
> correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program
> that I expected to be recorded).
>
> Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording
> in question was recorded on a channel that does not
> exist. Example:
>
> Finished recording Anvil: the Story of Anvil:
> channel 2019
>
> Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from
> channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).
>
> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

I have a theory.

These recordings seem to be happening from channels for
which I have metadata but no valid tuning data. So when
another-one happened overnight I went back to the
listings to see which channel the recording's metadata
suggested it had come from.

I do grab metadata (using uk_rt) for more channels than
I actually subscribe to. These channels also exist in
the database, but have been rendered invisible (by
clearing the "visible" flag in Mythweb).

I thought that clearing that flag caused the channel to
not only disappear from the program listings but also
caused it to be removed from consideration for
recordings. I now suspect that this may not hold for
power rules.

So I will now change my grabbers's configuration files
to only grab metadata for channels I actually subscribe
to, and I'm sure that this will solve the problem.

Thanks, Jan

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 6, 2012, 11:32 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 08/06/2012 10:02 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 07/30/2012 09:51 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I'm on 0.24-fixes.
>>
>> Occasionally (but too often to my liking) recordings
>> fail. By "fail" I mean that something was recorded
>> (i.e. good audio and video) but that it does not
>> correspond with the metadate (i.e. with the program
>> that I expected to be recorded).
>>
>> Looking at the backed logs, I see that the recording
>> in question was recorded on a channel that does not
>> exist. Example:
>>
>> Finished recording Anvil: the Story of Anvil:
>> channel 2019
>>
>> Where channel 19 does not exist (i.e. select * from
>> channel where chanid=2019; returns the empty set).
>>
>> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?
> I have a theory.
>
> These recordings seem to be happening from channels for
> which I have metadata but no valid tuning data. So when
> another-one happened overnight I went back to the
> listings to see which channel the recording's metadata
> suggested it had come from.
>
> I do grab metadata (using uk_rt) for more channels than
> I actually subscribe to. These channels also exist in
> the database, but have been rendered invisible (by
> clearing the "visible" flag in Mythweb).
>
> I thought that clearing that flag caused the channel to
> not only disappear from the program listings but also
> caused it to be removed from consideration for
> recordings. I now suspect that this may not hold for
> power rules.
>
> So I will now change my grabbers's configuration files
> to only grab metadata for channels I actually subscribe
> to, and I'm sure that this will solve the problem.

Jan, this sounds like a good theory. We do have some plans for changes
to make the visible flag work more like people expect it to work
(basically turning it into a "disabled" flag), which could actually
allow you to use it like you have been trying. The behavior you're
seeing makes me think we should look at making that change sooner rather
than later.

I'm sorry I hadn't yet gotten a chance to look over your database to
come up with a theory--I was on a trip until today, so didn't get time
to look it over. Please let me know if you see the issue, again, after
getting rid of the extra channels.

Mike

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 1:35 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 08/06/2012 08:32 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 10:02 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> So I will now change my grabbers's configuration files
>> to only grab metadata for channels I actually subscribe
>> to, and I'm sure that this will solve the problem.
>
> Jan, this sounds like a good theory. We do have some plans for changes
> to make the visible flag work more like people expect it to work
> (basically turning it into a "disabled" flag), which could actually
> allow you to use it like you have been trying. The behavior you're
> seeing makes me think we should look at making that change sooner rather
> than later.

The issue has not occurred again since I made this change 10 days ago,
so I'm calling this solved.

Thanks, Jan

mtdean at thirdcontact

Aug 17, 2012, 6:48 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 08/17/2012 04:35 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 08:32 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 08/06/2012 10:02 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>>> So I will now change my grabbers's configuration files
>>> to only grab metadata for channels I actually subscribe
>>> to, and I'm sure that this will solve the problem.
>> Jan, this sounds like a good theory. We do have some plans for changes
>> to make the visible flag work more like people expect it to work
>> (basically turning it into a "disabled" flag), which could actually
>> allow you to use it like you have been trying. The behavior you're
>> seeing makes me think we should look at making that change sooner rather
>> than later.
> The issue has not occurred again since I made this change 10 days ago,
> so I'm calling this solved.

Good. I'm glad you've solved it. I apologize for not getting a chance
to look over your database, yet (been a busy few weeks), but I don't
think I would have flagged that as an issue, anyway.

I know that in working on master, Stuart Morgan found that sometimes a
race between the EIT scanner's channel change and the recording's
channel change caused the EIT scanner's to end up going last. Were you,
by any chance, allowing EIT updates for those channels? I think Stuart
and Daniel K. got the race fixed for master, so chances are 0.26 will
work more like before with the visible flag. But, since it was not
designed to be a "disabled" flag (though that's where we're likely to
take it, eventually), you may be safest with the current configuration.

Mike

jan.ceuleers at gmail

Aug 17, 2012, 9:33 AM

Re: Recordings from nonexistent channels [In reply to]

On 08/17/2012 03:48 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/17/2012 04:35 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> The issue has not occurred again since I made this change 10 days ago,
>> so I'm calling this solved.
>
> Good. I'm glad you've solved it. I apologize for not getting a chance
> to look over your database, yet (been a busy few weeks), but I don't
> think I would have flagged that as an issue, anyway.

Hi Mike. Don't apologise; you're in no way obligated to provide support,
yet you do so on many occasions.

> I know that in working on master, Stuart Morgan found that sometimes a
> race between the EIT scanner's channel change and the recording's
> channel change caused the EIT scanner's to end up going last. Were you,
> by any chance, allowing EIT updates for those channels?

No, I'm recording from digital cable using the composite video and
stereo audio outputs of two STBs connected to HVR-1900 capture devices.
No EIT anywhere to be seen.

If/when you look at my database you'll see that I also have two more of
these HVR-1900s that record from analogue cable. I didn't buy STBs for
all four of the HVRs. The channels available on analogue cable are a
subset of those available on the digital side, so these HVRs are still
useful. Still, no EIT here either.

Praps the issue could also have been resolved by adding another
condition to the WHERE clause in my power rules, i.e. one that looks at
the visible flag?

Still, I'm not using the metadata for channels that I can't record from,
so it's better all 'round not to grab it in the first place. More kind
on the listings source, for example.

Thanks, Jan