Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Olympics / STB idle issue

briandlong at gmail

Jul 30, 2012, 7:04 AM

Olympics / STB idle issue

I was recording NBC Sports Network for most of Saturday (around 12
hours). I didn't realize the STB had gone into some sort of idle mode
until I started watching the recording and about 4 hours into the
recording a little clock appears and moves around the screen, but the
audio continued.

I read about sending "stb-command display_info" and "stb-command
exit", but it's not supported by my 4300HDC STB. I do use stb-command
to issue the "stb-command power_on" command when changing channels
since I never know when Time Warner sends a STB update and cycles the
box. I'm tempted to run the "stb-command power_on" command in a cron
job every 1-2 hours (maybe 15 minutes after the hour).

Any other ideas for making sure the STB stays awake during long
recording sessions using an SDV channel?

$ sudo /usr/local/bin/stb-command -n 1 display_info
Command Not Implemented on STB, Response: 0x08487C35
Set top box command failed

$ sudo /usr/local/bin/stb-command -n 1 exit
Command Not Implemented on STB, Response: 0x08487C0D
Set top box command failed

Thanks.

/Brian/

anothersname at googlemail

Jul 30, 2012, 8:35 AM

Re: Olympics / STB idle issue [In reply to]

On 30 July 2012 15:04, Brian Long <briandlong [at] gmail> wrote:
> I was recording NBC Sports Network for most of Saturday (around 12
> hours). I didn't realize the STB had gone into some sort of idle mode
> until I started watching the recording and about 4 hours into the
> recording a little clock appears and moves around the screen, but the
> audio continued.
>
> I read about sending "stb-command display_info" and "stb-command
> exit", but it's not supported by my 4300HDC STB. I do use stb-command
> to issue the "stb-command power_on" command when changing channels
> since I never know when Time Warner sends a STB update and cycles the
> box. I'm tempted to run the "stb-command power_on" command in a cron
> job every 1-2 hours (maybe 15 minutes after the hour).
>
> Any other ideas for making sure the STB stays awake during long
> recording sessions using an SDV channel?
>
> $ sudo /usr/local/bin/stb-command -n 1 display_info
> Command Not Implemented on STB, Response: 0x08487C35
> Set top box command failed
>
> $ sudo /usr/local/bin/stb-command -n 1 exit
> Command Not Implemented on STB, Response: 0x08487C0D
> Set top box command failed
>
> Thanks.
>
> /Brian/

Although not specific to your STB I saw a similar problem a few years
ago that was solved/worked around by retuning the unit to the same
channel it was already recording on, it fooled the unit into
restarting the sleep clock.

May be worth a try.

GL