Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

kernel 3.2 vs 3.4 for mythtv and HDPVR specifically

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 12:02 PM

kernel 3.2 vs 3.4 for mythtv and HDPVR specifically

after many headaches with the hdpvr and the 2.6 kernel I'm updating my
parents system to ubuntu 12.04 which comes with kernel 3.2. I'm
wondering if I should update to kernel 3.4 now that it's available?

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

mythtv at blandford

Jul 21, 2012, 1:09 PM

Re: kernel 3.2 vs 3.4 for mythtv and HDPVR specifically [In reply to]

On 07/21/2012 12:02 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> after many headaches with the hdpvr and the 2.6 kernel I'm updating my
> parents system to ubuntu 12.04 which comes with kernel 3.2. I'm
> wondering if I should update to kernel 3.4 now that it's available?
>
> thanks!

I can't speak for using it with ubuntu, but I have two hdpvrs that I
under on Fedora 17 with kernel 3.4 without issue.

Michael

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 7:29 PM

Re: kernel 3.2 vs 3.4 for mythtv and HDPVR specifically [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Michael <mythtv [at] blandford> wrote:
> On 07/21/2012 12:02 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>> after many headaches with the hdpvr and the 2.6 kernel I'm updating my
>> parents system to ubuntu 12.04 which comes with kernel 3.2. I'm
>> wondering if I should update to kernel 3.4 now that it's available?
>>
>> thanks!
>>

> I can't speak for using it with ubuntu, but I have two hdpvrs that I under
> on Fedora 17 with kernel 3.4 without issue.

do you still have the oversaturation issue? does placing
v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl brightness=0x80 --set-ctrl contrast=0x40
--set-ctrl hue=0xf --set-ctrl saturation=0x40 --set-ctrl
sharpness=0x80
in your channel change script fix it?

thanks!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,

imntreal at gmail

Jul 23, 2012, 6:29 AM

Re: kernel 3.2 vs 3.4 for mythtv and HDPVR specifically [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
> after many headaches with the hdpvr and the 2.6 kernel I'm updating my
> parents system to ubuntu 12.04 which comes with kernel 3.2. I'm
> wondering if I should update to kernel 3.4 now that it's available?

3.4 > 3.2 ;)

=-Jameson

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jul 23, 2012, 6:51 AM

Re: kernel 3.2 vs 3.4 for mythtv and HDPVR specifically [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Jameson <imntreal [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv [at] gmail> wrote:
>> after many headaches with the hdpvr and the 2.6 kernel I'm updating my
>> parents system to ubuntu 12.04 which comes with kernel 3.2. I'm
>> wondering if I should update to kernel 3.4 now that it's available?
>
> 3.4 > 3.2 ;)

haha, yea, I figured =P

I tried updating to the 3.4 precise kernel, but it wouldn't load the
ethernet drivers, which makes it tough for me to ssh in, and since I
live on the other side of the country as my parents I can't easily fix
that issue.

so I'll have to wait a bit and keep using the v4l2-ctl fix for now.
until I can figure out how to update properly so the ethernet drivers
load up.