Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Problem with LiveTV from the EPG

cats22 at comcast

Jul 19, 2012, 3:40 PM

Problem with LiveTV from the EPG

I am using MythTV 0.25 with Ubuntu 12.04.

I have only 1 firewire tuner. When in live tv, if I select the program
guide, then go down to a different channel that is also on firewire, and
press enter, instead of changing channels it says it cannot change
because it is already recording. The only thing it is already recording
is the channel currently viewing in Live TV. If I exit from the EPG and
then enter the channel number it switches without a problem.

I tried setting the option to start up live TV in the EPG, but that has
the same problem.

I believe this used to work in 0.24. Is there some setting I may have
wrong? If it can switch by typing in the channel number it should be
able to switch by selecting the channel in the EPG.

The wiki mentions pressing M to change channels but that just brings up
a menu and selecting change channel from that menu does the same thing.
The wiki also mentions X to change channel in the EPG, but X does
nothing at all.

Perhaps suppressing the live display of a channel while in the EPG would
prevent this. Is that possible?

Peter

veehexx at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 3:05 PM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

On 19 July 2012 23:40, Peter Bennett (cats22) <cats22 [at] comcast> wrote:
> I am using MythTV 0.25 with Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> I have only 1 firewire tuner. When in live tv, if I select the program
> guide, then go down to a different channel that is also on firewire, and
> press enter, instead of changing channels it says it cannot change
> because it is already recording. The only thing it is already recording
> is the channel currently viewing in Live TV. If I exit from the EPG and
> then enter the channel number it switches without a problem.
>
> I tried setting the option to start up live TV in the EPG, but that has
> the same problem.
>
> I believe this used to work in 0.24. Is there some setting I may have
> wrong? If it can switch by typing in the channel number it should be
> able to switch by selecting the channel in the EPG.
>
> The wiki mentions pressing M to change channels but that just brings up
> a menu and selecting change channel from that menu does the same thing.
> The wiki also mentions X to change channel in the EPG, but X does
> nothing at all.
>
> Perhaps suppressing the live display of a channel while in the EPG would
> prevent this. Is that possible?
>
> Peter

i too am having this issue - 3 tuners though. change with 'live tv in
guide' fails, but going to livetv and tapping in the channel number
works fine.
0.24 definitely didnt do this. i've only started using live tv in 0.25
this weekend (been using recorded content upto now).

veehexx at gmail

Jul 21, 2012, 3:17 PM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

> i too am having this issue - 3 tuners though. change with 'live tv in
> guide' fails, but going to livetv and tapping in the channel number
> works fine.
> 0.24 definitely didnt do this. i've only started using live tv in 0.25
> this weekend (been using recorded content upto now).

... i should of given more details.
i have 3 tuners, 2 have the channels in question. If 1 of the 2 tuners
is free, then channel change will work. If no tuner is free (1 is
recording, the other is livetv) then it doesn't work.

i havent really been keeping an eye on the changes between 0.24 and
0.25, but this definitely seems like a bug.

veehexx at gmail

Aug 2, 2012, 7:42 AM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

On 21 July 2012 23:17, Tim Draper <veehexx [at] gmail> wrote:
>> i too am having this issue - 3 tuners though. change with 'live tv in
>> guide' fails, but going to livetv and tapping in the channel number
>> works fine.
>> 0.24 definitely didnt do this. i've only started using live tv in 0.25
>> this weekend (been using recorded content upto now).
>
> ... i should of given more details.
> i have 3 tuners, 2 have the channels in question. If 1 of the 2 tuners
> is free, then channel change will work. If no tuner is free (1 is
> recording, the other is livetv) then it doesn't work.
>
> i havent really been keeping an eye on the changes between 0.24 and
> 0.25, but this definitely seems like a bug.

bump :)

can anyone confirm if 0.25 has changed from 0.24 (i'm more familiar
with 0.24 and not really had the time to play with 0.25 as much as i'd
like) and if it's simply user/config error?

veehexx at gmail

Aug 3, 2012, 12:41 AM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

i've found the issue to my problem; the BE has been updating from myth
repo's perfectly fine. the FE hasn't. It seems it's been unable to add
the 0.25 repo's into aptitude and so stuck on the CD release.
every time i did an apt-get upgrade, it installed a load of ubuntu
updates but not mythtv updates!

reinstalled last night, updated mythtv, and that got this (aswell as a
number of other) problem sorted.

cats22 at comcast

Aug 3, 2012, 3:15 PM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

On 08/03/2012 03:41 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
> i've found the issue to my problem; the BE has been updating from myth
> repo's perfectly fine. the FE hasn't. It seems it's been unable to add
> the 0.25 repo's into aptitude and so stuck on the CD release.
> every time i did an apt-get upgrade, it installed a load of ubuntu
> updates but not mythtv updates!
>
> reinstalled last night, updated mythtv, and that got this (aswell as a
> number of other) problem sorted.

Hi Tim

So are you saying if I activate the update repositories in Mythbuntu
control panel and update I will get a new version that fixes the issue
of not being able to select a channel from the EPG?

Up to now I have not activated that option, because I am worried about
getting patches that may break my system. I am just working with the
original 0.25 that came with Ubuntu. Perhaps it is time to get more
adventurous.

Peter

mythtv-users at lists

Aug 3, 2012, 5:19 PM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> Up to now I have not activated that option, because I am worried about
> getting patches that may break my system. I am just working with the
> original 0.25 that came with Ubuntu. Perhaps it is time to get more
> adventurous.

Are you serious? You're having a problem with MythTV and are concerned
that an update will break your system? I don't understand that logic...

joe at thefrys

Aug 3, 2012, 5:31 PM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

> > Up to now I have not activated that option, because I am worried about
> > getting patches that may break my system. I am just working with the
> > original 0.25 that came with Ubuntu. Perhaps it is time to get more
> > adventurous.
>
> Are you serious? You're having a problem with MythTV and are concerned
> that an update will break your system? I don't understand that logic...

Indeed, not a good way of thinking these days. Always patch unless your
going to take the time to study the patches and determine that you don't
need them, you may be missing something important. I'd hate you to get bit
by a bug that deletes data, corrupts the database, etc because you were
afraid.

Getting updates, even nightly updates, will very rarely cause problems.
99% of the time they fix issues. It is very rare that they backport new
functionality that may not be well tested and could introduce a new issue.
And I expect that with the new accelerated release cycle we will see even
less of that then we had in the past.

Where you may want to hesitate is updating to the next major version
(0.26). I typically wait for the first fixes release, or at least until I
don't see any bugs that concern me in trac.

veehexx at gmail

Aug 4, 2012, 2:50 AM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

>> reinstalled last night, updated mythtv, and that got this (aswell as a
>> number of other) problem sorted.

> Hi Tim
>
> So are you saying if I activate the update repositories in Mythbuntu
> control panel and update I will get a new version that fixes the issue
> of not being able to select a channel from the EPG?
>
> Up to now I have not activated that option, because I am worried about
> getting patches that may break my system. I am just working with the
> original 0.25 that came with Ubuntu. Perhaps it is time to get more
> adventurous.
>
> Peter

thats exactly what im saying - yes :)
as a few other comments in this thread, i tend to hold off the major
releases (0.24 > .25 > .26) for a few weeks with the show stoppers are
fixed.

on the mythtv bug trac there was a fix for the 'channel change in
guide' issue that you reported. i dont seem to be able to find the
exact bug report, but a mythtv update should fix it aswell as a number
of other livetv/recording related issues that the CD release has.

Also, by activating the mythtv repo's in the control-center, it won't
automatically apply updates; you are still required to 'sudo apt-get
upgrade' or run the distros' GUI updater to get mythtv updates
applied.

glemsom at gmail

Aug 4, 2012, 4:08 AM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

On 4 August 2012 11:50, Tim Draper <veehexx [at] gmail> wrote:
>>> reinstalled last night, updated mythtv, and that got this (aswell as a
>>> number of other) problem sorted.
>

>> Hi Tim
>>
>> So are you saying if I activate the update repositories in Mythbuntu
>> control panel and update I will get a new version that fixes the issue
>> of not being able to select a channel from the EPG?
>>
>> Up to now I have not activated that option, because I am worried about
>> getting patches that may break my system. I am just working with the
>> original 0.25 that came with Ubuntu. Perhaps it is time to get more
>> adventurous.
>>
>> Peter
>
> thats exactly what im saying - yes :)
> as a few other comments in this thread, i tend to hold off the major
> releases (0.24 > .25 > .26) for a few weeks with the show stoppers are
> fixed.
>
> on the mythtv bug trac there was a fix for the 'channel change in
> guide' issue that you reported. i dont seem to be able to find the
> exact bug report, but a mythtv update should fix it aswell as a number
> of other livetv/recording related issues that the CD release has.
>
> Also, by activating the mythtv repo's in the control-center, it won't
> automatically apply updates; you are still required to 'sudo apt-get
> upgrade' or run the distros' GUI updater to get mythtv updates
> applied.

Since 0.18, I've learned to listen to this list - and trac before upgrading :)
Though new features might be interesting to try out - it will often
wreck the WAF.

For the same reason - I'm still on 0.24, with year old nvidia drivers
- as it's currently the most stable solution for me.
Remember, if it ain't broken - DON'T FIX IT !

cats22 at comcast

Aug 4, 2012, 6:48 AM

Re: Problem with LiveTV from the EPG [In reply to]

On 08/03/2012 08:19 PM, Thomas Boehm wrote:

> Are you serious? You're having a problem with MythTV and are concerned
> that an update will break your system? I don't understand that logic...

Yup - the problem I have is rather insignificant, to change channel from
the guide I have to exit the guide and then type a channel number.
Inconvenient, but I can survive the few extra button presses.

On the other hand, if I install an update and it introduces some bug
with recording so that my backend fails to record, then I am worse off.
MythTV is extremely complex and subject to a lot of strange errors (see
the number of posts in the mailing list), so some fix that helps in some
cases could cause a problem in other set-ups.

Anyway, I will try the update repository, on my frontend at first, and
see how it goes.