Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Remote Control Replacement

jraymyth at gmail

Jul 14, 2012, 2:07 PM

Remote Control Replacement

My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?

jr

dmfrey at gmail

Jul 14, 2012, 5:25 PM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Jul 14, 2012 5:07 PM, "jr" <jraymyth [at] gmail> wrote:

> My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
> boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
> control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
> favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?
>
> jr

Jr,

Can you take advantage of the CEC capabilities in Mythtv? You can get a
usb dongle that will allow a plain old remote and receiver (like an MCE
remote) to control all your devices?

If you have an android phone, we have built network remote control of
mythtv Front ends right from your phone. Most tv's and other players that
can connect to the Internet also usually have apps as well.

Just a thought

jraymyth at gmail

Jul 14, 2012, 7:37 PM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Daniel Frey <dmfrey [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2012 5:07 PM, "jr" <jraymyth [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
>> boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
>> control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
>> favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?
>>
>> jr
>
> Jr,
>
> Can you take advantage of the CEC capabilities in Mythtv? You can get a usb
> dongle that will allow a plain old remote and receiver (like an MCE remote)
> to control all your devices?
>
> If you have an android phone, we have built network remote control of mythtv
> Front ends right from your phone. Most tv's and other players that can
> connect to the Internet also usually have apps as well.
>
> Just a thought

That would mean that I would have to leave my phone in the TV room,
even when I am away from home. Either that or buy an android just to
act like a remote. I appreciate the thought, but I think I will stick
to a regular remote. Besides. Remotes should have buttons. IMHO.

geoffbon at gmail

Jul 14, 2012, 7:50 PM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Jul 14, 2012 5:07 PM, "jr" wrote:

> My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
> boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
> control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
> favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?
>
> jr

I've had good luck with the Harmony One, initially in conjunction with a
HDHR as an IR receiver, and now with a cheap generic MCE receiver (it took
two different makes to get one that works with the Harmony - if you go this
route let me know, I'm happy to look up the model).
I'm using Mythbuntu 12.04,and besides Myth it drives an amp, TV,
Squeezebox, and a DVD player.
Cheers,
Geoff

seven at seven

Jul 14, 2012, 9:05 PM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On 15 July 2012 12:50, Geoff B <geoffbon [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2012 5:07 PM, "jr" wrote:
> >
> > My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
> > boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
> > control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
> > favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?
> >
> > jr
>
> I've had good luck with the Harmony One, initially in conjunction with a
> HDHR as an IR receiver, and now with a cheap generic MCE receiver (it took
> two different makes to get one that works with the Harmony - if you go this
> route let me know, I'm happy to look up the model).
> I'm using Mythbuntu 12.04,and besides Myth it drives an amp, TV,
> Squeezebox, and a DVD player.
> Cheers,
> Geoff

I'm Happy with my Harmony One with both Dvico USB & imon IR receivers

Cheers,

Anthony

jraymyth at gmail

Jul 14, 2012, 11:11 PM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Geoff B <geoffbon [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2012 5:07 PM, "jr" wrote:
>>
>> My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
>> boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
>> control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
>> favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?
>>
>> jr
>
> I've had good luck with the Harmony One, initially in conjunction with a
> HDHR as an IR receiver, and now with a cheap generic MCE receiver (it took
> two different makes to get one that works with the Harmony - if you go this
> route let me know, I'm happy to look up the model).
> I'm using Mythbuntu 12.04,and besides Myth it drives an amp, TV, Squeezebox,
> and a DVD player.
> Cheers,
> Geoff

How does the Harmony One do for size. It looks large. I bought a
large universal remote once about 15 years ago, and my better half
found it awkward to use. Eventually a note was nailed to it reading,
"We need a new remote."

seven at seven

Jul 15, 2012, 3:51 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On 15 July 2012 16:11, jr <jraymyth [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Geoff B <geoffbon [at] gmail> wrote:
> > On Jul 14, 2012 5:07 PM, "jr" wrote:
> >>
> >> My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
> >> boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
> >> control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
> >> favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?
> >>
> >> jr
> >
> > I've had good luck with the Harmony One, initially in conjunction with a
> > HDHR as an IR receiver, and now with a cheap generic MCE receiver (it
> took
> > two different makes to get one that works with the Harmony - if you go
> this
> > route let me know, I'm happy to look up the model).
> > I'm using Mythbuntu 12.04,and besides Myth it drives an amp, TV,
> Squeezebox,
> > and a DVD player.
> > Cheers,
> > Geoff

> How does the Harmony One do for size. It looks large. I bought a
> large universal remote once about 15 years ago, and my better half
> found it awkward to use. Eventually a note was nailed to it reading,
> "We need a new remote."

Size is fine I prefer it Much better then the Haromny 1100i which had too
few buttons (I took it back to replace it with the ONE) and got to love the
rechargable batteries and docking station as long as your keep an eye on
the levels although a spare phone is a good stop gap if you do happen to
forget to put it on charge.

Anthony

acstadt at stadt

Jul 15, 2012, 4:43 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On 14/07/2012 5:07 PM, jr wrote:
> My four(?) year old Harmony 550 had a catastrophic encounter with a
> boot heel this afternoon. As such, I am in search of a new remote to
> control my DVD, Roku, MythTV and Televison. Anyone have a current
> favorite remote to suggest as a replacement?
>
> jr
I recently relegated my Harmony 550 to the kids room (where I expect it
will meet a similar fate to yours) replacing it with a Harmony 700.
Felt better in the hands, works with all my equipment
(MCE/CommandIR/BlueRay/Receiver/etc) and comes with rechargeable
batteries (just no docking station - so must be plugged into a usb port
to charge, or which there is no lack of in this household) - not to
mention that battery life is much better then the 550.

YMMV, Cheers,

Andrew.

geoffbon at gmail

Jul 15, 2012, 8:05 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Jul 15, 2012 2:11 AM, "jr" wrote:
> How does the Harmony One do for size. It looks large. I bought a
> large universal remote once about 15 years ago, and my better half
> found it awkward to use. Eventually a note was nailed to it reading,
> "We need a new remote."

Both I and my other half find the size fine, and the shape is curved enough
that it's easy to grip. The buttons are laid out in a way that's
reasonably easy to find without looking, although I still rely on the
(excellent) backlight some of the time.
Cheers,
Geoff

jraymyth at gmail

Jul 15, 2012, 4:48 PM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Geoff B <geoffbon [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2012 2:11 AM, "jr" wrote:
>> How does the Harmony One do for size. It looks large. I bought a
>> large universal remote once about 15 years ago, and my better half
>> found it awkward to use. Eventually a note was nailed to it reading,
>> "We need a new remote."
>
> Both I and my other half find the size fine, and the shape is curved enough
> that it's easy to grip. The buttons are laid out in a way that's reasonably
> easy to find without looking, although I still rely on the (excellent)
> backlight some of the time.
> Cheers,
> Geoff

We went over to BestBuy and messed with one today. Seems good. I
like the buttons. So I ordered one off of Amazon. Thanks for the
suggestion guys.

Geoff, could you take a look at that compatible IR receiver model and
let me know?

thanks again

geoffbon at gmail

Jul 19, 2012, 8:57 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM, jr wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Geoff B wrote:
> > On Jul 15, 2012 2:11 AM, "jr" wrote:
> >> How does the Harmony One do for size. It looks large. I bought a
> >> large universal remote once about 15 years ago, and my better half
> >> found it awkward to use. Eventually a note was nailed to it reading,
> >> "We need a new remote."
> >
> > Both I and my other half find the size fine, and the shape is curved
> enough
> > that it's easy to grip. The buttons are laid out in a way that's
> reasonably
> > easy to find without looking, although I still rely on the (excellent)
> > backlight some of the time.
> > Cheers,
> > Geoff
>

> We went over to BestBuy and messed with one today. Seems good. I
> like the buttons. So I ordered one off of Amazon. Thanks for the
> suggestion guys.
>
> Geoff, could you take a look at that compatible IR receiver model and
> let me know?
>
> thanks again

Sorry for the delay replying on this one! For reference, the first one I
bought, which *didn't* work:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M56DI0

The second one, which *did* work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180878754211&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

If that eBay link doesn't work, the item which worked was labelled:

"HP 5070-2584 Media Center Remote Control IR Reciever w/Blaster Cable
438585-001"

HTH,

Cheers,

Geoff

rob at davis-family

Jul 19, 2012, 9:33 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On 2012-07-15 18:48, jr wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Geoff B <geoffbon [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Jul 15, 2012 2:11 AM, "jr" wrote:
>>> How does the Harmony One do for size. It looks large. I bought a
>>> large universal remote once about 15 years ago, and my better half
>>> found it awkward to use. Eventually a note was nailed to it
>>> reading,
>>> "We need a new remote."
>>
>> Both I and my other half find the size fine, and the shape is curved
>> enough
>> that it's easy to grip. The buttons are laid out in a way that's
>> reasonably
>> easy to find without looking, although I still rely on the
>> (excellent)
>> backlight some of the time.
>> Cheers,
>> Geoff

> We went over to BestBuy and messed with one today. Seems good. I
> like the buttons. So I ordered one off of Amazon. Thanks for the
> suggestion guys.
>
> Geoff, could you take a look at that compatible IR receiver model and
> let me know?

I think you can just apply your 550 settings to your new remote and
tweak a bit, so whatever you used to receive the signal of your 550 will
see your new remote.

jraymyth at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 9:23 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Geoff B <geoffbon [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM, jr wrote:

>> > Both I and my other half find the size fine, and the shape is curved
>> > enough
>> > that it's easy to grip. The buttons are laid out in a way that's
>> > reasonably
>> > easy to find without looking, although I still rely on the (excellent)
>> > backlight some of the time.
>> > Cheers,
>> > Geoff
>>

>> We went over to BestBuy and messed with one today. Seems good. I
>> like the buttons. So I ordered one off of Amazon. Thanks for the
>> suggestion guys.
>>
>> Geoff, could you take a look at that compatible IR receiver model and
>> let me know?
>>
>> thanks again
>

> Sorry for the delay replying on this one! For reference, the first one I
> bought, which *didn't* work:
>
> www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M56DI0
>
> The second one, which *did* work:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180878754211&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
>
> If that eBay link doesn't work, the item which worked was labelled:
>
> "HP 5070-2584 Media Center Remote Control IR Reciever w/Blaster Cable
> 438585-001"
>

> HTH,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Geoff

Hey, I got my Harmony One, applied the 550 setting against it and it
worked perfectly. (Except for the Menu button, which always required
tweaking.) My IR receiver just worked with it. Its a very nice
device. Good weight and size. Responsive. Good button feel. And I
only have to deal with the touch screen when I am switching devices.
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

briandlong at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 9:41 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

> Hey, I got my Harmony One, applied the 550 setting against it and it
> worked perfectly. (Except for the Menu button, which always required
> tweaking.) My IR receiver just worked with it. Its a very nice
> device. Good weight and size. Responsive. Good button feel. And I
> only have to deal with the touch screen when I am switching devices.
> Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

Does Radio Shack make remotes any more? I cannot find their branded
remotes, but I have an older one which is giving me fits. Some buttons I
have to press extra hard to get them to transmit. I believe Radio Shack
sourced them from All-in-One? I'm looking for a remote less than $50 as
I'm not willing to spend $150-$200 on a Logitech Harmony. :)

/Brian/

rob at davis-family

Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On 2012-07-20 11:41, Brian Long wrote:
>> Hey, I got my Harmony One, applied the 550 setting against it and
>> it
>> worked perfectly.  (Except for the Menu button, which always
>> required
>> tweaking.)  My IR receiver just worked with it. Its a very nice
>> device.  Good weight and size. Responsive.  Good button feel.
>>  And I
>> only have to deal with the touch screen when I am switching
>> devices.
>> Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
>
> Does Radio Shack make remotes any more?  I cannot find their branded
> remotes, but I have an older one which is giving me fits.  Some
> buttons I have to press extra hard to get them to transmit.  I
> believe Radio Shack sourced them from All-in-One?  Im looking for a
> remote less than $50 as Im not willing to spend $150-$200 on a
> Logitech Harmony.  :)
>
> /Brian/

Get one of the Logitech Cheapo ones, 200 or 300 (one does 3 devices,
one 4). You still use your PC to configure it, but it doesn't have the
activities function in a higher priced remote. However, you get all the
database and learning facilities of the more expensive remotes.

jerrymr at gmail

Jul 20, 2012, 10:49 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Brian Long <briandlong [at] gmail> wrote:

>> Hey, I got my Harmony One, applied the 550 setting against it and it
>> worked perfectly. (Except for the Menu button, which always required
>> tweaking.) My IR receiver just worked with it. Its a very nice
>> device. Good weight and size. Responsive. Good button feel. And I
>> only have to deal with the touch screen when I am switching devices.
>> Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
>

> Does Radio Shack make remotes any more? I cannot find their branded
> remotes, but I have an older one which is giving me fits. Some buttons I
> have to press extra hard to get them to transmit. I believe Radio Shack
> sourced them from All-in-One? I'm looking for a remote less than $50 as
> I'm not willing to spend $150-$200 on a Logitech Harmony. :)

I've been using the URC-R50 for a while now and love it. It can be had for
around $50, and has macros, learning, a mostly sensible button layout. You
can use the programmability to set up activities buttons (if your
components have discrete on/off commands) with a little work. Construction
is sturdy. Only thing that could be better is the circular silver
directional control can be a little finicky.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Digital-Universal-Control-Components/dp/B001KC08AE

-Jerry

dsr-myth at randomstring

Jul 20, 2012, 11:00 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:41:46PM -0400, Brian Long wrote:

> > Hey, I got my Harmony One, applied the 550 setting against it and it
> > worked perfectly. (Except for the Menu button, which always required
> > tweaking.) My IR receiver just worked with it. Its a very nice
> > device. Good weight and size. Responsive. Good button feel. And I
> > only have to deal with the touch screen when I am switching devices.
> > Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
>

> Does Radio Shack make remotes any more? I cannot find their branded
> remotes, but I have an older one which is giving me fits. Some buttons I
> have to press extra hard to get them to transmit. I believe Radio Shack
> sourced them from All-in-One? I'm looking for a remote less than $50 as
> I'm not willing to spend $150-$200 on a Logitech Harmony. :)

Loathe as I am to recommend a Sony product, the Sony RM VL600
remote is a pretty good piece of equipment for $25.

-dsr-

newbury at mandamus

Jul 20, 2012, 11:15 AM

Re: Remote Control Replacement [In reply to]

On 07/20/2012 12:41 PM, Brian Long wrote:

>> Hey, I got my Harmony One, applied the 550 setting against it and it
>> worked perfectly. (Except for the Menu button, which always required
>> tweaking.) My IR receiver just worked with it. Its a very nice
>> device. Good weight and size. Responsive. Good button feel. And I
>> only have to deal with the touch screen when I am switching devices.
>> Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.
>

> Does Radio Shack make remotes any more? I cannot find their branded
> remotes, but I have an older one which is giving me fits. Some buttons I
> have to press extra hard to get them to transmit. I believe Radio Shack
> sourced them from All-in-One? I'm looking for a remote less than $50 as
> I'm not willing to spend $150-$200 on a Logitech Harmony. :)

If you do some google you can find the All-in-One model matching your RS
unit. Generally only superficial cosmetic changes. Or look for one of
the down-range Harmony units which match the RS/AiO units in
functionality. I picked up an open-box/returned Harmony 330 for $20 at
Best Buy about a year ago. Great unit and for $20 I could not lose.

G.