Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25 tuner issues and repository questions

neilcoo at yahoo

Jul 12, 2012, 10:50 AM

0.25 tuner issues and repository questions

Hi all,
Since upgrading (reformat + reinstall) to mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25) I've had multiple different erratic problems with my tuner card (Hauppage WinTV HVR-2250).

I have the same backend configuration (using default timings as usual, made sure I had the right input groups set up etc) as I had under 0.24 which used to work mostly OK but even under 0.24 it's never been perfect.

Even with 0.24 there seemed to be a long-standing bug around occasional failures when changing channels and/or inputs that led to occasional recordings that were just a blue screen. 0.25 is much less stable.

I have Cox cable which is (still) a mix of analog and digital channels.

Changing digital channels in live tv under 0.25 often fails and crashes back to the main menu.

I cant change analog channels at all, that alwyas leads to a crash back to the main menu, after which its about an even chance that selecting the live TV menu item shows live TV, crashes back to the main menu, or pops up a dialog saying "Irrecoverable recorder error", then another saying "frontend cant connect to the backend".

Quiting/relaunching the frontend seems the only way to fix it one the tuner has apparently locked up, which is strange, as it would indicate the error is actually stateful bug only in the frontend.

I've made sure I've updated everything to latest but with no positive effect. I have the MythTV updates repository added (via mythbuntu control centre). This post:
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-June/336014.html
says a lot of bugs got fixed around live TV in -fixes. What is -fixes? Is that what I'm already picking up by including the MythTV updates repository or do I need to add another repository? (or even checkout and build my own binaries... yuk). If so, which?

The two firmware files I've installed for my HVR-2250 card are:
NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw (analog side)
v4l-saa7164-1.0.3-3.fw (digital side)

Can anyone else using an HVR-2250 confirm these are the right ones, as there seems to be quite a lot of other files and contradictory information around the net without anything to indicate which is actually the latest/correct/best.

Any other hints would be most welcome too.

Thanks guys,
Neil Cooper.

monkeypet at gmail

Jul 12, 2012, 1:44 PM

Re: 0.25 tuner issues and repository questions [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Neil Cooper <neilcoo [at] yahoo> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Since upgrading (reformat + reinstall) to mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25)
> I've had multiple different erratic problems with my tuner card (Hauppage
> WinTV HVR-2250).
>
> I have the same backend configuration (using default timings as usual,
> made sure I had the right input groups set up etc) as I had under 0.24
> which used to work mostly OK but even under 0.24 it's never been perfect.
>
> Even with 0.24 there seemed to be a long-standing bug around occasional
> failures when changing channels and/or inputs that led to occasional
> recordings that were just a blue screen. 0.25 is much less stable.
>
> I have Cox cable which is (still) a mix of analog and digital channels.
>
> Changing digital channels in live tv under 0.25 often fails and crashes
> back to the main menu.
>
> I cant change analog channels at all, that alwyas leads to a crash back to
> the main menu, after which its about an even chance that selecting the live
> TV menu item shows live TV, crashes back to the main menu, or pops up a
> dialog saying "Irrecoverable recorder error", then another saying "frontend
> cant connect to the backend".
>
> Quiting/relaunching the frontend seems the only way to fix it one the
> tuner has apparently locked up, which is strange, as it would indicate the
> error is actually stateful bug only in the frontend.
>
> I've made sure I've updated everything to latest but with no positive
> effect. I have the MythTV updates repository added (via mythbuntu control
> centre). This post:
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-June/336014.html
> says a lot of bugs got fixed around live TV in -fixes. What is -fixes? Is
> that what I'm already picking up by including the MythTV updates repository
> or do I need to add another repository? (or even checkout and build my own
> binaries... yuk). If so, which?

If you want any chance of success on myth 0.25, you need to run the 0.25.1
+ 0.25/fixes. My setup with HD Homerun didn't have a chance with 0.25 as
the mythfrontend would hang and crash often. However, once I moved
backend/frontend to 0.25.1 + 0.25/fixes things seem usable, but I would get
the occasional crash during liveTV streaming to a remote mythfrontend.
Also I have a crontab that watches to see if my backend is dead and
restarts it.

Hoping that the 0.26 is more stable.

I think mythfrontend --version will give you the info you need to determine
what you are running. Or you query the deb/rpm package information.

> The two firmware files I've installed for my HVR-2250 card are:
> NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw (analog side)
> v4l-saa7164-1.0.3-3.fw (digital side)
>
> Can anyone else using an HVR-2250 confirm these are the right ones, as
> there seems to be quite a lot of other files and contradictory information
> around the net without anything to indicate which is actually the
> latest/correct/best.
>
> Any other hints would be most welcome too.
>
> Thanks guys,
> Neil Cooper.

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 13, 2012, 8:09 PM

Re: 0.25 tuner issues and repository questions [In reply to]

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Monkey Pet <monkeypet [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Neil Cooper <neilcoo [at] yahoo> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> Since upgrading (reformat + reinstall) to mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25)
>> I've had multiple different erratic problems with my tuner card (Hauppage
>> WinTV HVR-2250).
>>
>> I have the same backend configuration (using default timings as usual,
>> made sure I had the right input groups set up etc) as I had under 0.24 which
>> used to work mostly OK but even under 0.24 it's never been perfect.
>>
>> Even with 0.24 there seemed to be a long-standing bug around occasional
>> failures when changing channels and/or inputs that led to occasional
>> recordings that were just a blue screen. 0.25 is much less stable.
>>
>> I have Cox cable which is (still) a mix of analog and digital channels.
>>
>> Changing digital channels in live tv under 0.25 often fails and crashes
>> back to the main menu.
>>
>> I cant change analog channels at all, that alwyas leads to a crash back to
>> the main menu, after which its about an even chance that selecting the live
>> TV menu item shows live TV, crashes back to the main menu, or pops up a
>> dialog saying "Irrecoverable recorder error", then another saying "frontend
>> cant connect to the backend".
>>
>> Quiting/relaunching the frontend seems the only way to fix it one the
>> tuner has apparently locked up, which is strange, as it would indicate the
>> error is actually stateful bug only in the frontend.
>>
>> I've made sure I've updated everything to latest but with no positive
>> effect. I have the MythTV updates repository added (via mythbuntu control
>> centre). This post:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-June/336014.html
>> says a lot of bugs got fixed around live TV in -fixes. What is -fixes? Is
>> that what I'm already picking up by including the MythTV updates repository
>> or do I need to add another repository? (or even checkout and build my own
>> binaries... yuk). If so, which?
>

> If you want any chance of success on myth 0.25, you need to run the 0.25.1 +
> 0.25/fixes. My setup with HD Homerun didn't have a chance with 0.25 as the
> mythfrontend would hang and crash often. However, once I moved
> backend/frontend to 0.25.1 + 0.25/fixes things seem usable, but I would get
> the occasional crash during liveTV streaming to a remote mythfrontend. Also
> I have a crontab that watches to see if my backend is dead and restarts it.

You are either on 0.25.1 or 0.25-fixes. 0.25.1 is just a snapshot of
0.25-fixes at a particular time.

If you use the mythbuntu repos you will get 0.25 fixes and it is
compiled and released to the repo every day, provided there have been
some commits. Therefore if you keep up to date with mythbuntu repos
you will have the latest o.25-fixes.

support at drdos

Jul 14, 2012, 4:55 AM

Re: 0.25 tuner issues and repository questions [In reply to]

Neil Cooper wrote:
> Changing digital channels in live tv under 0.25 often fails and crashes back to the main menu.

I just ran into this last night.

Went to move my mother's Myth system from .23 fixes, running Mandriva
2010 to Mageia 2 (Now on 1) and I can initially set the analog channel,
but can't change it. If I'm quick when restarting live TV, after a
crash back to the main menu, and enter in an analog channel, I will some
times change.

I'll be digging further into it this afternoon. I'll probably start out
on Steven Toth's website.

http://www.steventoth.net/blog/

Doug

--
Ben Franklin quote:

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 14, 2012, 9:02 PM

Re: 0.25 tuner issues and repository questions [In reply to]

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Doug Lytle <support [at] drdos> wrote:
> Neil Cooper wrote:
>>
>> Changing digital channels in live tv under 0.25 often fails and crashes
>> back to the main menu.
>

> I just ran into this last night.
>
> Went to move my mother's Myth system from .23 fixes, running Mandriva 2010
> to Mageia 2 (Now on 1) and I can initially set the analog channel, but can't
> change it. If I'm quick when restarting live TV, after a crash back to the
> main menu, and enter in an analog channel, I will some times change.
>
> I'll be digging further into it this afternoon. I'll probably start out on
> Steven Toth's website.
>
> http://www.steventoth.net/blog/
>
> Doug

what version are you on (and 0.25 is not an answer, most likely it'll
be some -fixes version)