Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Importing Old TV files

alan at chandlerfamily

Jul 6, 2012, 2:43 AM

Importing Old TV files

I recently did a completely fresh install of Mythtv Backend. This
included making a new database.

I have come across some files of some recorded TV programs from my old
installation which I have copied to the video directory of the new
installation.

Mythtv sees the files and can play them back, but when I try and skip
forward a few minutes by pressing the right arrow cursor key (like I do
with the recorded TV programs), it comes up "Searching ..." and
eventually runs off the end of the recording.

Is there a better way to get at these recordings, and is there anyway to
just tell mythtv to skip forward a few minutes

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jul 6, 2012, 6:27 AM

Re: Importing Old TV files [In reply to]

On 07/06/2012 05:43 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I recently did a completely fresh install of Mythtv Backend. This
> included making a new database.
>
> I have come across some files of some recorded TV programs from my old
> installation which I have copied to the video directory of the new
> installation.
>
> Mythtv sees the files and can play them back, but when I try and skip
> forward a few minutes by pressing the right arrow cursor key (like I
> do with the recorded TV programs), it comes up "Searching ..." and
> eventually runs off the end of the recording.
>
> Is there a better way to get at these recordings, and is there anyway
> to just tell mythtv to skip forward a few minutes

Adding old video (including old recordings) to Video Library is the
supported approach--it's the library of videos you have that weren't
recorded by "this" MythTV installation.

As far as the seeking, it's possible that the videos may need a seek
table. You can create one with mythcommflag using the --rebuild and
--video arguments.

That said, my system, using the Internal player, seems to seek well in
MPEG-2 without seek tables in Video Library (and since NUV has built-in
seek information, it shouldn't need seek tables), so you may also want
to just try updating to current 0.25-fixes.

Mike

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jul 6, 2012, 6:40 AM

Re: Importing Old TV files [In reply to]

On 07/06/2012 05:43 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I recently did a completely fresh install of Mythtv Backend. This
> included making a new database.

Meant to ask... Is there some reason why you made a new database
instead of backing up the old database and restoring it to the new system?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

Mike

alan at chandlerfamily

Jul 6, 2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Importing Old TV files [In reply to]

On 06/07/12 14:40, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 05:43 AM, Alan Chandler wrote:
>> I recently did a completely fresh install of Mythtv Backend. This
>> included making a new database.
>
> Meant to ask... Is there some reason why you made a new database
> instead of backing up the old database and restoring it to the new
> system?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

Its a long complicated story about my previous (Debian Squeeze) based
system on an newish (month old) Intel motherboard with 4 SATA disks
having a hardware failure in the middle of the night. It appears the
failure had also scribbled partly over my raid1 root fs. My initial
recovery was with the old previous motherboard with only support for two
SATA drives and no internet access (this box is my house router), trying
to figure out which half or a raid I should be using. Having got that
going, and managing to download an ubuntu 12.04 server image - I
discovered this new (old) hardware was also falling over about once a day.

Fortunately with the downloaded ubuntu image I was able to do a mem test
on the failed motherboard, and discovered the memory had a bad module.
Replacing that with a new hardware enabled me to restart building a 4
disk system again, although by now I had lots of half build raid arrays
across the wrong disks etc. So I went with ubuntu - giving me access to
the 0.25 fixes repo as well. In the rush ( I was now almost 6 days into
this crisis) I decided it was too hard to find the old stuff and recover it.

Up until lunchtime today I was feeling I had made a good choice. The
new mythtv system had none of the stuttering problems I had incurred
with the Debian backported mythtv, the HD program clarity was fantastic
- even in live TV and I had eventually found the good half of a raid
array where the old recordings were left.

Unfortunately at lunchtime today I had an aborted attempt to switch my
single disk root filesystem back to a raid1 root filesystem and in the
process I now find my HD device is not producing any output.