Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend?

alan at chandlerfamily

Jul 3, 2012, 1:37 PM

Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend?

Due to a major hardware failure over the last week I have had to rebuild
my main house server (mail, dns, web etc). This was running Debian
stable (Squeeze) with mythtv 0.25 via backports.

Thinking I might be able to make use of the 0.25-fixes repository I
rebuilt the server using Ubuntu-Server 12.04. However, looking a the
mythbuntu web site it now seems to do everything through the
mythbuntu-control-centre - and assumes that you do not need to know any
details of how to get access to the correct repository.

It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but I
presume that is because I am using the server edition and it assumes you
have the desktop. I installed the control centre via aptitude, and it
pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with it. However when I
try and use it, all the icons are missing and I get an error when it
tries to do anything which requires admin permissions. I think it might
have been trying to add something to my sources.list file.

I don't really want the hand holding of the control centre if I don't
need it - I can just as easily run mythtv-setup manually.

Does anyone know how I can set the ubuntu-server up so I can get my
backend to pickup 0.25-fixes.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

dbrieck at gmail

Jul 3, 2012, 1:53 PM

Re: Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend? [In reply to]

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Alan Chandler <alan [at] chandlerfamily>wrote:

> Due to a major hardware failure over the last week I have had to rebuild
> my main house server (mail, dns, web etc). This was running Debian stable
> (Squeeze) with mythtv 0.25 via backports.
>
> Thinking I might be able to make use of the 0.25-fixes repository I
> rebuilt the server using Ubuntu-Server 12.04. However, looking a the
> mythbuntu web site it now seems to do everything through the
> mythbuntu-control-centre - and assumes that you do not need to know any
> details of how to get access to the correct repository.
>
> It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but I
> presume that is because I am using the server edition and it assumes you
> have the desktop. I installed the control centre via aptitude, and it
> pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with it. However when I try
> and use it, all the icons are missing and I get an error when it tries to
> do anything which requires admin permissions. I think it might have been
> trying to add something to my sources.list file.
>
> I don't really want the hand holding of the control centre if I don't need
> it - I can just as easily run mythtv-setup manually.
>
> Does anyone know how I can set the ubuntu-server up so I can get my
> backend to pickup 0.25-fixes.
>
> --
> Alan Chandler
> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.**uk <http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk>

It's a little unintuitive, but visit this page:
http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu

and click on the chrome looking Install MythBuntu image. This should add
the correct repos for your system and let you install -fixes

You never have to open the control center if you don't want to, but it does
have some handy utilities for optimizing MySQL and a few other settings.

alan at chandlerfamily

Jul 3, 2012, 2:07 PM

Re: Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend? [In reply to]

On 03/07/12 21:53, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Alan Chandler
> <alan [at] chandlerfamily <mailto:alan [at] chandlerfamily>> wrote:
>
> Due to a major hardware failure over the last week I have had to
> rebuild my main house server (mail, dns, web etc). This was
> running Debian stable (Squeeze) with mythtv 0.25 via backports.
>
> Thinking I might be able to make use of the 0.25-fixes repository
> I rebuilt the server using Ubuntu-Server 12.04. However, looking
> a the mythbuntu web site it now seems to do everything through the
> mythbuntu-control-centre - and assumes that you do not need to
> know any details of how to get access to the correct repository.
>
> It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but
> I presume that is because I am using the server edition and it
> assumes you have the desktop. I installed the control centre via
> aptitude, and it pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with
> it. However when I try and use it, all the icons are missing and
> I get an error when it tries to do anything which requires admin
> permissions. I think it might have been trying to add something to
> my sources.list file.
>
> I don't really want the hand holding of the control centre if I
> don't need it - I can just as easily run mythtv-setup manually.
>
> Does anyone know how I can set the ubuntu-server up so I can get
> my backend to pickup 0.25-fixes.
>
> --
> Alan Chandler
> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
>

> It's a little unintuitive, but visit this page:
> http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
>
> and click on the chrome looking Install MythBuntu image. This should
> add the correct repos for your system and let you install -fixes
>
> You never have to open the control center if you don't want to, but it
> does have some handy utilities for optimizing MySQL and a few other
> settings.

but I'm running on a command line only server. I don't really want to
install firefox etc just so I can have a web page automatically add some
lines to my sources.list. Can't someone just tell me what they are, and
I will edit them into my sources.list. Then tell me what package to
install so the repository key is installled.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

jyavenard at gmail

Jul 3, 2012, 4:23 PM

Re: Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend? [In reply to]

Hi

On Wednesday, 4 July 2012, Alan Chandler wrote:

> It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but I
> presume that is because I am using the server edition and it assumes you
> have the desktop. I installed the control centre via aptitude, and it
> pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with it. However when I try
> and use it, all the icons are missing and I get an error when it tries to
> do anything which requires admin permissions. I think it might have been
> trying to add something to my sources.list file.

This has been my experience with it too on my system...
And this on my two primary system. One being an upgrade of a new 11.10
mythbuntu DVD installation, the other an upgrade of a 10.04 install.

In both cases, the mythbuntu control centre doesn't show any icons but two.
And any features requiring root access will not work. It does ask for my
password but it will always fail after.

So I start mythbuntu-control-center from the command line with sudo.

Having said that, you don't really need to use it and can do most of it
yourself...

I'm actually being more and more annoyed with Ubuntu upgrades, it really
feels like they don't care about upgrading systems and the upgrade path is
in my opinion always poorly tested..
Like I just upgraded my mac mini from 11.10 to 12.04

My wireless adapter network interface was called wlan0, and all the Ubuntu
documentation in regards to setting wireless talks about using wlan0. Upon
the upgrade, it became eth0; and of course none of my static config got
updated: so no more network for you.it also has the nasty habit of redoing
my whole lirc configuration, simply overriding my ~/.lirc folder with new
files.
It took me close to a full day to get lirc properly working on that
machine, why would it thinks it knows better and simply erase what was
there before?? It did so on all my Ubuntu machines.

Sorry for the rant, I upgraded another box yesterday, and once again the
upgrade made my box unusable for a while while I sorted out all the things
it broke. Suspend got broken in the process; haven't figured that one out
yet.

greg12866 at nycap

Jul 3, 2012, 9:01 PM

Re: Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend? [In reply to]

On 07/03/2012 05:07 PM, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 03/07/12 21:53, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Alan Chandler
>> <alan [at] chandlerfamily <mailto:alan [at] chandlerfamily>> wrote:
>>
>> Due to a major hardware failure over the last week I have had to
>> rebuild my main house server (mail, dns, web etc). This was
>> running Debian stable (Squeeze) with mythtv 0.25 via backports.
>>
>> Thinking I might be able to make use of the 0.25-fixes repository
>> I rebuilt the server using Ubuntu-Server 12.04. However, looking
>> a the mythbuntu web site it now seems to do everything through the
>> mythbuntu-control-centre - and assumes that you do not need to
>> know any details of how to get access to the correct repository.
>>
>> It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but
>> I presume that is because I am using the server edition and it
>> assumes you have the desktop. I installed the control centre via
>> aptitude, and it pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with
>> it. However when I try and use it, all the icons are missing and
>> I get an error when it tries to do anything which requires admin
>> permissions. I think it might have been trying to add something to
>> my sources.list file.
>>
>> I don't really want the hand holding of the control centre if I
>> don't need it - I can just as easily run mythtv-setup manually.
>>
>> Does anyone know how I can set the ubuntu-server up so I can get
>> my backend to pickup 0.25-fixes.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Chandler
>> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
>>

>> It's a little unintuitive, but visit this page:
>> http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
>>
>> and click on the chrome looking Install MythBuntu image. This should
>> add the correct repos for your system and let you install -fixes
>>
>> You never have to open the control center if you don't want to, but it
>> does have some handy utilities for optimizing MySQL and a few other
>> settings.
>>

>> This body part will be downloaded on demand.
> but I'm running on a command line only server. I don't really want to
> install firefox etc just so I can have a web page automatically add some
> lines to my sources.list. Can't someone just tell me what they are, and
> I will edit them into my sources.list. Then tell me what package to
> install so the repository key is installled.
>
> --
> Alan Chandler
> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main

signing key 1504888C2009-01-18

I haven't had to import a key in a long time so you are on your own there...

dmoo1790 at ihug

Jul 3, 2012, 10:04 PM

Re: Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend? [In reply to]

On 04/07/12 16:01, Greg wrote:
> On 07/03/2012 05:07 PM, Alan Chandler wrote:
>> On 03/07/12 21:53, David Brieck Jr. wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Alan Chandler
>>> <alan [at] chandlerfamily <mailto:alan [at] chandlerfamily>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Due to a major hardware failure over the last week I have had to
>>> rebuild my main house server (mail, dns, web etc). This was
>>> running Debian stable (Squeeze) with mythtv 0.25 via backports.
>>>
>>> Thinking I might be able to make use of the 0.25-fixes repository
>>> I rebuilt the server using Ubuntu-Server 12.04. However, looking
>>> a the mythbuntu web site it now seems to do everything through the
>>> mythbuntu-control-centre - and assumes that you do not need to
>>> know any details of how to get access to the correct repository.
>>>
>>> It also implies that the control centre is already installed - but
>>> I presume that is because I am using the server edition and it
>>> assumes you have the desktop. I installed the control centre via
>>> aptitude, and it pulled in loads and loads of additional junk with
>>> it. However when I try and use it, all the icons are missing and
>>> I get an error when it tries to do anything which requires admin
>>> permissions. I think it might have been trying to add something to
>>> my sources.list file.
>>>
>>> I don't really want the hand holding of the control centre if I
>>> don't need it - I can just as easily run mythtv-setup manually.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how I can set the ubuntu-server up so I can get
>>> my backend to pickup 0.25-fixes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Chandler
>>> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
>>>

>>> It's a little unintuitive, but visit this page:
>>> http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu
>>>
>>> and click on the chrome looking Install MythBuntu image. This should
>>> add the correct repos for your system and let you install -fixes
>>>
>>> You never have to open the control center if you don't want to, but it
>>> does have some handy utilities for optimizing MySQL and a few other
>>> settings.
>>>

>>> This body part will be downloaded on demand.
>> but I'm running on a command line only server. I don't really want to
>> install firefox etc just so I can have a web page automatically add some
>> lines to my sources.list. Can't someone just tell me what they are, and
>> I will edit them into my sources.list. Then tell me what package to
>> install so the repository key is installled.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Chandler
>> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main
>
> signing key 1504888C2009-01-18
>
> I haven't had to import a key in a long time so you are on your own
> there...

I think I used add-apt-repository to add the repos and get the keys.

nick.rout at gmail

Jul 3, 2012, 11:12 PM

Re: Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend? [In reply to]

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM, David Moore <dmoo1790 [at] ihug> wrote:
> On 04/07/12 16:01, Greg wrote:

>>> but I'm running on a command line only server. I don't really want to
>>> install firefox etc just so I can have a web page automatically add some
>>> lines to my sources.list. Can't someone just tell me what they are, and
>>> I will edit them into my sources.list. Then tell me what package to
>>> install so the repository key is installled.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Chandler
>>> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main
>> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main
>>
>> signing key 1504888C2009-01-18
>>
>> I haven't had to import a key in a long time so you are on your own
>> there...
>>

> I think I used add-apt-repository to add the repos and get the keys.

Thats the way, specifically

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.25

alan at chandlerfamily

Jul 3, 2012, 11:23 PM

Re: Switched from Debian Stable to Ununtu Server (12.04). Best approach for mythtv backend? [In reply to]

On 04/07/12 07:12, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM, David Moore<dmoo1790 [at] ihug> wrote:
>> On 04/07/12 16:01, Greg wrote:
>>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main
>>> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.25/ubuntu precise main
>>>
>>> signing key 1504888C2009-01-18
>>>
>>> I haven't had to import a key in a long time so you are on your own
>>> there...
>>>
>> I think I used add-apt-repository to add the repos and get the keys.
>
> Thats the way, specifically
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.25
fantastic - thanks, worked a treat