Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Comcast, HDhomerun prime and mythtv

bcromwell.mailinglists at gmail

Jul 1, 2012, 10:55 AM

Comcast, HDhomerun prime and mythtv

I am in the North Atlanta area, all of the sudden I am starting to be
unable to watch/recording a bunch of channels using a hdhomerun prime. it
is my understanding that it is Comcast's corporate policy to mark
non-premium channels as "copy-freely" for use with the of Tivo and
Tivo-like appliances.

Tech support of hdhomerun has reviewed the logs and said

"The logs show that your CableCARD is not providing CCI copy protection
status for any channels. As a result, the HDHomeRun PRIME is required to
check for and follow any CGMS copy protection specified by the channel
originator."

This is already affecting all of the following channels and likely more
since I didn't go though the 700-800 channel ranges.

41 TNT
53 SPSO
58 Truetv
65 TVLND
66 AMC
108 NGW
109 NGEOG
117 WE
131 NOG
133 NICKN
134 WAM!
139 MTVH
140 MTV2
141 MTV3
142 MTVJ
143 VH1CL
145 CMTP
146 CMT
148 FUSE
149 Movie
150 ENCOR
152 ENACT
156 LOVE
158 DRAMA
163 LOGO
165 SUND
167 INDIE
179 GAME
201 FSSDH
204 TNTHD
209 PLDHD
213 NGEHD
229 AMCHD
237 TBS

Basic level techsupport was unable to assist, is there another group inside
of comcast that I can contact to see about resolving these issues? Any
other Comcast customers having this same issue?

gary.buhrmaster at gmail

Jul 1, 2012, 1:09 PM

Re: Comcast, HDhomerun prime and mythtv [In reply to]

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Bryan Cromwell
<bcromwell.mailinglists [at] gmail> wrote:
> Basic level techsupport was unable to assist, is there another group inside
> of comcast that I can contact to see about resolving these issues? Any other
> Comcast customers having this same issue?

Suggestions:

* First make sure you are on recent HDHR Prime firmware (there were
some changes made to deal with no CCI).

* Second, it is my experience that most of those channels do have CCI
*unless* the received signal is so poor that it is not possible to decode
the stream. So, tune the HDHR Prime (using either the CLI or GUI) to
one of those channels, and then look at the signal monitor values (via
the CLI, GUI, or the built-in web server). If the numbers are poor, you
may simply be receiving a bad signal. To diagnose a bad signal, first
remove any splitters/amps and plug directly into the wall and
retest to insure it is not something in your cabling. If the signal is
still poor, call Comcast (they are responsible for getting a good signal
to you).

Good luck.

Gary

Jul 5, 2012, 9:17 AM

Re: Comcast, HDhomerun prime and mythtv [In reply to]

Signal is strong and on the latest firmware, I think this is something the
local comcast office is doing or not doing I just don't know what.

Virtual Channel 204 TNTHD
Frequency 723.000 MHz
Program Number 841
Authorization subscribed
CCI Protection none
CGMS Protection protected-copyonce
Modulation Lock qam256
PCR Lock locked
Signal Strength 100% (1.9 dBmV)
Signal Quality 97% (34.6 dB)
Symbol Quality 100%

eric at lisaneric

Jul 5, 2012, 11:04 AM

Re: Comcast, HDhomerun prime and mythtv [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Bryan Cromwell
<bcromwell.mailinglists [at] gmail> wrote:
> Signal is strong and on the latest firmware, I think this is something the
> local comcast office is doing or not doing I just don't know what.

In the past, there have been reports of good results from sending
reports of these kinds of problems to "we_can_help [at] comcast".

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/490415#490415

Eric