Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Important recoding damaged - anything I can do?

myth at surr

Jun 27, 2012, 11:19 PM

Important recoding damaged - anything I can do?

Hello all,

My kids were on a BBC1 TV program about Glastonbury festival a couple of
years ago. The recoding has survived various Myth problems and
re-installs, but I now fear that I've lost it for good.

I have tried and failed to 'export' this file into a more usable format
several times over the years I have had it. Exporting a recording from
MythTV seems to be one of the hardest things to do for some reason, but
I'm not here to complain. Just want to see if there's anything I can do
from here.

I got the impression from a recent thread that creating a cut list and
trascoding a recording with 'lossless' quality would create an MPG file
(as opposed to an nuv). I did that a few days ago. The job seemed to
take a very long time, but I was happy to see that it was no longer in
the job queue the following morning.

Running mythlink.pl showed me that the file was still an nuv file.

Last night, I thought I'd try it again, but found a problem. The
recording is still there from within MythTV, but only partially. If I
play the recording, it just closes after about 15 minutes. I obviously
tried this several times and have also tried playing the file using VLC
from a Windows machine. The file seems to be damaged.

I doubt there's anything that I can do, but would love to hear if any
recovery is possible.

Thanks
Damian

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 27, 2012, 11:26 PM

Re: Important recoding damaged - anything I can do? [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Damian <myth [at] surr> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My kids were on a BBC1 TV program about Glastonbury festival a couple of
> years ago. The recoding has survived various Myth problems and re-installs,
> but I now fear that I've lost it for good.
>
> I have tried and failed to 'export' this file into a more usable format
> several times over the years I have had it. Exporting a recording from
> MythTV seems to be one of the hardest things to do for some reason, but I'm
> not here to complain. Just want to see if there's anything I can do from
> here.
>
> I got the impression from a recent thread that creating a cut list and
> trascoding a recording with 'lossless' quality would create an MPG file (as
> opposed to an nuv). I did that a few days ago. The job seemed to take a very
> long time, but I was happy to see that it was no longer in the job queue the
> following morning.
>
> Running mythlink.pl showed me that the file was still an nuv file.
>
> Last night, I thought I'd try it again, but found a problem. The recording
> is still there from within MythTV, but only partially. If I play the
> recording, it just closes after about 15 minutes. I obviously tried this
> several times and have also tried playing the file using VLC from a Windows
> machine. The file seems to be damaged.
>
> I doubt there's anything that I can do, but would love to hear if any
> recovery is possible.

I assume you don't have the original file from before you did the
transcode to nuv?

Anyway have you tried something like

ffmpeg -i damagedfile.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv

?

coronasensei at gmail

Jun 27, 2012, 11:43 PM

Re: Important recoding damaged - anything I can do? [In reply to]

On 28/06/12 4:26 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Damian<myth [at] surr> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My kids were on a BBC1 TV program about Glastonbury festival a couple of
>> years ago. The recoding has survived various Myth problems and re-installs,
>> but I now fear that I've lost it for good.
>>
>> I have tried and failed to 'export' this file into a more usable format
>> several times over the years I have had it. Exporting a recording from
>> MythTV seems to be one of the hardest things to do for some reason, but I'm
>> not here to complain. Just want to see if there's anything I can do from
>> here.
>>
>> I got the impression from a recent thread that creating a cut list and
>> trascoding a recording with 'lossless' quality would create an MPG file (as
>> opposed to an nuv). I did that a few days ago. The job seemed to take a very
>> long time, but I was happy to see that it was no longer in the job queue the
>> following morning.
>>
>> Running mythlink.pl showed me that the file was still an nuv file.
>>
>> Last night, I thought I'd try it again, but found a problem. The recording
>> is still there from within MythTV, but only partially. If I play the
>> recording, it just closes after about 15 minutes. I obviously tried this
>> several times and have also tried playing the file using VLC from a Windows
>> machine. The file seems to be damaged.
>>
>> I doubt there's anything that I can do, but would love to hear if any
>> recovery is possible.
> I assume you don't have the original file from before you did the
> transcode to nuv?
>
> Anyway have you tried something like
>
> ffmpeg -i damagedfile.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv

Similarly, mencoder may be able to help with the forceidx flag to
rebuild the index if the data is there, for example this script:
http://www.mattgrill.com/2009/03/converting-nuv-mythtv-video-to-avi-divx-without-transcoding/

|#!/bin/bash|
|video="$1"|
|mencoder -ni -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -vf harddup -noskip -skiplimit
0 -o test.avi "$video"|
|mv "$video" "$video.done"|
|newvideo="${video/%nuv/avi}"|
|mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy -aspect 16:9 -o "$newvideo"
test.avi|
|rm test.avi|

It would be worth hunting in the logs to see if you can find any
reference to this transcode job, see if any error was reported.

I would also make a backup copy of whatever copies of the file you still
have before running ffmpeg/mencoder/anything on it, just in case
anything else goes wrong and makes it worse. Depending on how much other
writing's happenned to the drive, you could even look into un-delete
tools to see if you can get the original back ( I personally haven't
tried this on linux, so can't really help much here ).

Andrew

myth at surr

Jun 27, 2012, 11:45 PM

Re: Important recoding damaged - anything I can do? [In reply to]

On 28/06/2012 07:26, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Damian <myth [at] surr> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My kids were on a BBC1 TV program about Glastonbury festival a couple of
>> years ago. The recoding has survived various Myth problems and re-installs,
>> but I now fear that I've lost it for good.
>>
>> I have tried and failed to 'export' this file into a more usable format
>> several times over the years I have had it. Exporting a recording from
>> MythTV seems to be one of the hardest things to do for some reason, but I'm
>> not here to complain. Just want to see if there's anything I can do from
>> here.
>>
>> I got the impression from a recent thread that creating a cut list and
>> trascoding a recording with 'lossless' quality would create an MPG file (as
>> opposed to an nuv). I did that a few days ago. The job seemed to take a very
>> long time, but I was happy to see that it was no longer in the job queue the
>> following morning.
>>
>> Running mythlink.pl showed me that the file was still an nuv file.
>>
>> Last night, I thought I'd try it again, but found a problem. The recording
>> is still there from within MythTV, but only partially. If I play the
>> recording, it just closes after about 15 minutes. I obviously tried this
>> several times and have also tried playing the file using VLC from a Windows
>> machine. The file seems to be damaged.
>>
>> I doubt there's anything that I can do, but would love to hear if any
>> recovery is possible.
>
> I assume you don't have the original file from before you did the
> transcode to nuv?
>
> Anyway have you tried something like
>
> ffmpeg -i damagedfile.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv
>
> ?

Hi Nick,

Stupidly, I seem not to have a copy of the file!!

I have just run:

ffmpeg -i 1002_20090627161700.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv

from inside the recordings directory and got this returned:

ffmpeg version 0.8.3-4:0.8.3-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012
the Libav developers
built on Jun 12 2012 16:37:58 with gcc 4.6.3
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a
future release. Please use avconv instead.
[nuv @ 0x831f260] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:
1000.00 (1000/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
Input #0, nuv, from '1002_20090627161700.nuv':
Duration: 00:21:24.66, start: 0.040000, bitrate: 1411 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x576, PAR 64:45 DAR 16:9, 25
fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1411 kb/s
Unable to find a suitable output format for 'newfile.nuv'

Is that useful?

Thanks for looking into this for me!
Damian

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jun 28, 2012, 12:12 PM

Re: Important recoding damaged - anything I can do? [In reply to]

On 06/28/2012 02:45 AM, Damian wrote:
> [...]
>
> ffmpeg version 0.8.3-4:0.8.3-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012
> the Libav developers
> built on Jun 12 2012 16:37:58 with gcc 4.6.3
> *** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
> This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in
> a future release. Please use avconv instead.
> [nuv @ 0x831f260] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be
> inaccurate
>
> Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:
> 1000.00 (1000/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
> Input #0, nuv, from '1002_20090627161700.nuv':
> Duration: 00:21:24.66, start: 0.040000, bitrate: 1411 kb/s
> Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x576, PAR 64:45 DAR 16:9,
> 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc
> Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1411 kb/s
> Unable to find a suitable output format for 'newfile.nuv'

Had you enabled the setting to keep original files after transcoding?
If so, you will have a ".old" file in your recording directory.

find /path/to/recordings -name '*.old' -print

Mike

myth at surr

Jun 28, 2012, 1:14 PM

Re: Important recoding damaged - anything I can do? [In reply to]

> On 28/06/12 4:26 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Damian<myth [at] surr> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> My kids were on a BBC1 TV program about Glastonbury festival a couple of
>>> years ago. The recoding has survived various Myth problems and re-installs,
>>> but I now fear that I've lost it for good.
>>>
>>> I have tried and failed to 'export' this file into a more usable format
>>> several times over the years I have had it. Exporting a recording from
>>> MythTV seems to be one of the hardest things to do for some reason, but I'm
>>> not here to complain. Just want to see if there's anything I can do from
>>> here.
>>>
>>> I got the impression from a recent thread that creating a cut list and
>>> trascoding a recording with 'lossless' quality would create an MPG file (as
>>> opposed to an nuv). I did that a few days ago. The job seemed to take a very
>>> long time, but I was happy to see that it was no longer in the job queue the
>>> following morning.
>>>
>>> Running mythlink.pl showed me that the file was still an nuv file.
>>>
>>> Last night, I thought I'd try it again, but found a problem. The recording
>>> is still there from within MythTV, but only partially. If I play the
>>> recording, it just closes after about 15 minutes. I obviously tried this
>>> several times and have also tried playing the file using VLC from a Windows
>>> machine. The file seems to be damaged.
>>>
>>> I doubt there's anything that I can do, but would love to hear if any
>>> recovery is possible.
>> I assume you don't have the original file from before you did the
>> transcode to nuv?
>>
>> Anyway have you tried something like
>>
>> ffmpeg -i damagedfile.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv
>>

> Similarly, mencoder may be able to help with the forceidx flag to
> rebuild the index if the data is there, for example this script:
> http://www.mattgrill.com/2009/03/converting-nuv-mythtv-video-to-avi-divx-without-transcoding/
>
> |#!/bin/bash|
> |video="$1"|
> |mencoder -ni -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -vf harddup -noskip
> -skiplimit 0 -o test.avi "$video"|
> |mv "$video" "$video.done"|
> |newvideo="${video/%nuv/avi}"|
> |mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy -aspect 16:9 -o
> "$newvideo" test.avi|
> |rm test.avi|
>
> It would be worth hunting in the logs to see if you can find any
> reference to this transcode job, see if any error was reported.
>
> I would also make a backup copy of whatever copies of the file you
> still have before running ffmpeg/mencoder/anything on it, just in case
> anything else goes wrong and makes it worse. Depending on how much
> other writing's happenned to the drive, you could even look into
> un-delete tools to see if you can get the original back ( I personally
> haven't tried this on linux, so can't really help much here ).
>
> Andrew

Update,

An incredibly kind stranger called John from this newsgroup found a
place where I could download the file. A quick torrent later and I have
the footage of my family back.

Needless to say, I am incredibly grateful!!

Thanks
Damian

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 28, 2012, 4:28 PM

Re: Important recoding damaged - anything I can do? [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Damian <myth [at] surr> wrote:

>>> I assume you don't have the original file from before you did the
>>> transcode to nuv?
>>>
>>> Anyway have you tried something like
>>>
>>> ffmpeg -i damagedfile.nuv -vcodec copy -acodec copy newfile.nuv
>>>

>> Similarly, mencoder may be able to help with the forceidx flag to rebuild
>> the index if the data is there, for example this script:
>>
>> http://www.mattgrill.com/2009/03/converting-nuv-mythtv-video-to-avi-divx-without-transcoding/
>>
>>    |#!/bin/bash|
>>    |video="$1"|
>>    |mencoder -ni -oac mp3lame -ovc copy -vf harddup -noskip
>>    -skiplimit 0 -o test.avi "$video"|
>>    |mv "$video" "$video.done"|
>>    |newvideo="${video/%nuv/avi}"|
>>    |mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy -aspect 16:9 -o
>>    "$newvideo" test.avi|
>>    |rm test.avi|
>>
>> It would be worth hunting in the logs to see if you can find any reference
>> to this transcode job, see if any error was reported.
>>
>> I would also make a backup copy of whatever copies of the file you still
>> have before running ffmpeg/mencoder/anything on it, just in case anything
>> else goes wrong and makes it worse. Depending on how much other writing's
>> happenned to the drive, you could even look into un-delete tools to see if
>> you can get the original back ( I personally haven't tried this on linux, so
>> can't really help much here ).
>>
>> Andrew
>

> Update,
>
> An incredibly kind stranger called John from this newsgroup found a place
> where I could download the file. A quick torrent later and I have the
> footage of my family back.
>
> Needless to say, I am incredibly grateful!!

I'm not sure we are supposed to talk about that sort of method of
obtaining material around here.

But i must say when myth fails, it is sometimes necessary!

myth at surr

Jun 29, 2012, 4:12 AM

Re: Important recoding damaged - anything I can do? [In reply to]

On 29/06/2012 00:28, Nick Rout wrote:

>>> Similarly, mencoder may be able to help with the forceidx flag to rebuild
>>> the index if the data is there, for example this script:
>>>
>>> http://www.mattgrill.com/2009/03/converting-nuv-mythtv-video-to-avi-divx-without-transcoding/
>>>
>>> |#!/bin/bash|
>>> |video="$1"|
>>> -skiplimit 0 -o test.avi "$video"|
>>> |mv "$video" "$video.done"|
>>> |newvideo="${video/%nuv/avi}"|
>>> "$newvideo" test.avi|
>>> |rm test.avi|
>>>
>>> It would be worth hunting in the logs to see if you can find any reference
>>> to this transcode job, see if any error was reported.
>>>
>>> I would also make a backup copy of whatever copies of the file you still
>>> have before running ffmpeg/mencoder/anything on it, just in case anything
>>> else goes wrong and makes it worse. Depending on how much other writing's
>>> happenned to the drive, you could even look into un-delete tools to see if
>>> you can get the original back ( I personally haven't tried this on linux, so
>>> can't really help much here ).
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>

>> Update,
>>
>> An incredibly kind stranger called John from this newsgroup found a place
>> where I could download the file. A quick torrent later and I have the
>> footage of my family back.
>>
>> Needless to say, I am incredibly grateful!!
>
> I'm not sure we are supposed to talk about that sort of method of
> obtaining material around here.
>
> But i must say when myth fails, it is sometimes necessary!

That's why I didn't mention anyone's name in full :-)