Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress"

gaberubin at gmail

Jun 24, 2012, 11:21 AM

can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress"

Hi list,

I hope this isn't too far off topic. I just swapped wireless routers
because my old one was having some issues.

I replaced it with a pretty inexpensive router from monoprice.com.
However, I am unable to mount my windows share now.

When I try, I get this error:
[root [at] localhos samba]# mount -v /win
mount.cifs kernel mount options:
ip=192.168.1.104,unc=\\192.168.1.104\Users,noexec,nosuid,nodev,dirmode=0777,filemode=0777,ver=1,user=root,pass=********
mount error(115): Operation now in progress
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I plugged the older router back in and have no problems mounting the
windows share.

The monoprice router default IP address is 192.168.0.1, but I changed
that to 192.168.1.1 because that was the same IP as my old router and
I had it assign my windows and mythbox with IP addresses of
192.168.1.104 and 192.168.1.101 respectively. I did not want to
change all the references to those IP addresses in /etc/fstab and the
myth db and who knows where else.

I appreciate any help that you guys can give me. I am sure it is just
some setting in the router but not sure where to look. I have tried
googling and dealing with monprice tech support, but neither yielded
anything helpful.

Thanks

mdupuis at ocg

Jun 24, 2012, 1:24 PM

Re: can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress" [In reply to]

regardless of operation/protocol, if replacing a router blocks connectivity confirm:

1. IP's - if your router is acting as a DHCP server, is it handing out the right IPs (same subnet etc)
2. If your wireless IP's are on a different subnet, is the router blocking ports?

[...]

Jun 24, 2012, 6:08 PM

Re: can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress" [In reply to]

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis [at] ocg> wrote:
> regardless of operation/protocol, if replacing a router blocks connectivity confirm:
>
> 1. IP's - if your router is acting as a DHCP server, is it handing out the right IPs (same subnet etc)

I believe so. And the subnet for all my networked devices is
255.255.255.0 (including the router).

> 2. If your wireless IP's are on a different subnet, is the router blocking ports?

Wireless devices are all on the same subnet. There is only one router.

george.galt at gmail

Jun 24, 2012, 6:16 PM

Re: can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress" [In reply to]

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis [at] ocg> wrote:
>> regardless of operation/protocol, if replacing a router blocks connectivity confirm:
>>
>> 1. IP's - if your router is acting as a DHCP server, is it handing out the right IPs (same subnet etc)
>
> I believe so.  And the subnet for all my networked devices is
> 255.255.255.0 (including the router).
>
>> 2. If your wireless IP's are on a different subnet, is the router blocking ports?
>
> Wireless devices are all on the same subnet.  There is only one router.

Gabe:

I don't recall if Windows boxes will answer a ping, but have you tried
a simple ping to the correct address, just to see if the myth box can
find the windows box?

Also, can you ssh from the Windows box to the myth box?

My guess is that there is some portion of your router that thinks it
or some of your boxes are on the 192.168.0 subnet.

George

gaberubin at gmail

Jun 24, 2012, 7:14 PM

Re: can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress" [In reply to]

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis [at] ocg> wrote:
>>> regardless of operation/protocol, if replacing a router blocks connectivity confirm:
>>>
>>> 1. IP's - if your router is acting as a DHCP server, is it handing out the right IPs (same subnet etc)
>>
>> I believe so.  And the subnet for all my networked devices is
>> 255.255.255.0 (including the router).
>>
>>> 2. If your wireless IP's are on a different subnet, is the router blocking ports?
>>
>> Wireless devices are all on the same subnet.  There is only one router.
>
> Gabe:
>
> I don't recall if Windows boxes will answer a ping, but have you tried
> a simple ping to the correct address, just to see if the myth box can
> find the windows box?

I should have mentioned earlier, I tried to do a ping, but was unsuccesful:

> Also, can you ssh from the Windows box to the myth box?

Yes. And I can log into mythweb locally.

> My guess is that there is some portion of your router that thinks it
> or some of your boxes are on the 192.168.0 subnet.

How would I go about diagnosing this? I changed the IP address to
192.168.1.1 and didn't see any other references.

I reset the server settings and tried to mount using the 192.168.0.100
address that the router assigned to my windows box (my mythbox was
192.168.0.101 in this configuration) and I got the same error.
> George

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 25, 2012, 8:14 PM

Re: can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress" [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM, George Galt <george.galt [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> I believe so.  And the subnet for all my networked devices is
>>> 255.255.255.0 (including the router).

>>> Wireless devices are all on the same subnet.  There is only one router.
>>
>> Gabe:
>>
>> I don't recall if Windows boxes will answer a ping, but have you tried
>> a simple ping to the correct address, just to see if the myth box can
>> find the windows box?
>>
> I should have mentioned earlier, I tried to do a ping, but was unsuccesful:
>

>> Also, can you ssh from the Windows box to the myth box?
>
> Yes.  And I can log into mythweb locally.
>>
>> My guess is that there is some portion of your router that thinks it
>> or some of your boxes are on the 192.168.0 subnet.
>>

> How would I go about diagnosing this?  I changed the IP address to
> 192.168.1.1 and didn't see any other references.
>
> I reset the server settings and tried to mount using the 192.168.0.100
> address that the router assigned to my windows box (my mythbox was
> 192.168.0.101 in this configuration) and I got the same error.
>> George

You can check the windows ip address with the command ipconfig or for
more info ipconfig /all

(Obviously you do this in a cmd windows on the windows box)

gaberubin at gmail

Jun 26, 2012, 9:33 AM

Re: can't mount windows share, returns error code of "mount error(115): Operation now in progress" [In reply to]

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin [at] gmail> wrote:

>>> Gabe:
>>>
>>> I don't recall if Windows boxes will answer a ping, but have you tried
>>> a simple ping to the correct address, just to see if the myth box can
>>> find the windows box?
>>>
>> I should have mentioned earlier, I tried to do a ping, but was unsuccesful:
>>

>>> Also, can you ssh from the Windows box to the myth box?
>>
>> Yes.  And I can log into mythweb locally.
>>>
>>> My guess is that there is some portion of your router that thinks it
>>> or some of your boxes are on the 192.168.0 subnet.
>>>

>> How would I go about diagnosing this?  I changed the IP address to
>> 192.168.1.1 and didn't see any other references.
>>
>> I reset the server settings and tried to mount using the 192.168.0.100
>> address that the router assigned to my windows box (my mythbox was
>> 192.168.0.101 in this configuration) and I got the same error.
>>> George
>
> You can check the windows ip address with the command ipconfig or for
> more info ipconfig /all
>
> (Obviously you do this in a cmd windows on the windows box)

Thanks. This was the first step I tried to confirm the gateway and IP
address were all correct. I did notice that with the new router, it
was appearing to try and assign an IPv6 address as well. I restarted
after unchecking that box in the network control panel, but it still
gave me an IPv6 address. I wonder if that is the issue because when I
googled the CIFS error code I was getting, it typically was the result
of a computer having two IP addresses.