Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture

 

 

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


alan at chandlerfamily

Jun 7, 2012, 2:41 PM

Post #1 of 12 (1771 views)
Permalink
Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture

Hi

I've been a user of MythTV for some time, using the packages installed
from Debian Multimedia. Up until recently I had a Hauppage Nova T.
However since it suffered from regular loss of one channel - allegedly
because the usb hub built within it was being put to sleep by the
kernel. This setup ran on my home server (for everything - not just
MythTV).

As I have had to opportunity to upgrade the server - from an ancient
Athlon to a Intel i5 I took the opportunity to replace the Tuner card,
and looking around seemed to find that the Turbosite TBS 6280 was
favorably seen, despite having to build the driver modules from source.
Although running the backend on Debian Stable, the Debian multimedia
repository seems to have provided me with 0.25 of mythtv. This is good,
because my frontend (my desktop) runs Debian Unstable and that has a
front end at 0,25.

I've duly followed all the instruction and installed the re-compiled
modules and rebooted my server (sadly - I did't really want to).

However I am suffering from a situation where after about a day (not
really sure how long) the tuner seems to silently fail.

All that seems to happen is that
1) recordings that are scheduled just don't happen
2) Attempts to watch liveTv fails to find a lock.

I can't find any evidence of reported failure.

I really have two requests

1) Is there a short term solution whereby I could cause the device to
re-initialise itself without doing a reboot.
2) Is there a longer term solution whereby I can stop it from failing

Have I made a bad choice of Tuner. Is there anything else out there
that reliably does UK HD TV.


--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


robertasones at hotmail

Jun 8, 2012, 12:17 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1732 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

----------------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:41:59 +0100
> From: alan [at] chandlerfamily
> To: mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture
>
> Hi
>
> I've been a user of MythTV for some time, using the packages installed
> from Debian Multimedia. Up until recently I had a Hauppage Nova T.
> However since it suffered from regular loss of one channel - allegedly
> because the usb hub built within it was being put to sleep by the
> kernel. This setup ran on my home server (for everything - not just
> MythTV).
>
> As I have had to opportunity to upgrade the server - from an ancient
> Athlon to a Intel i5 I took the opportunity to replace the Tuner card,
> and looking around seemed to find that the Turbosite TBS 6280 was
> favorably seen, despite having to build the driver modules from source.
> Although running the backend on Debian Stable, the Debian multimedia
> repository seems to have provided me with 0.25 of mythtv. This is good,
> because my frontend (my desktop) runs Debian Unstable and that has a
> front end at 0,25.
>
> I've duly followed all the instruction and installed the re-compiled
> modules and rebooted my server (sadly - I did't really want to).
>
> However I am suffering from a situation where after about a day (not
> really sure how long) the tuner seems to silently fail.
>
> All that seems to happen is that
> 1) recordings that are scheduled just don't happen
> 2) Attempts to watch liveTv fails to find a lock.
>
> I can't find any evidence of reported failure.
>
> I really have two requests
>
> 1) Is there a short term solution whereby I could cause the device to
> re-initialise itself without doing a reboot.
> 2) Is there a longer term solution whereby I can stop it from failing
>
> Have I made a bad choice of Tuner. Is there anything else out there
> that reliably does UK HD TV.
>
>
> --
> Alan Chandler

Hi Alan, I'm still a week or two away from finishing my build and putting a new mythbackend with a TBS 6284 in to production so I hope your experience isn't typical.I haven't had the host running for more than a few hours at a time yet but so far I haven't experienced any problems with the card.The reviews and comments I read before buying it were all good.I don't think there is another option for UK HD Terrestrial TV at the moment.http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_CardsUnfortunately I don't think there is a way of reinitialising the card outside of a reboot but I could be wrong.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Jun 8, 2012, 12:38 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1726 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Alan Chandler
<alan [at] chandlerfamily> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been a user of MythTV for some time, using the packages installed from
> Debian Multimedia.  Up until recently I had a Hauppage Nova T.  However
> since it suffered from regular loss of one channel - allegedly because the
> usb hub built within it was being put to sleep by the kernel.  This setup
> ran on my home server (for everything - not just MythTV).
>
> As I have had to opportunity to upgrade the server - from an ancient Athlon
> to a Intel i5 I took the opportunity to replace the Tuner card, and looking
> around seemed to find that the Turbosite TBS 6280 was favorably seen,
> despite having to build the driver modules from source.  Although running
> the backend on Debian Stable, the Debian multimedia repository seems to have
> provided me with 0.25 of mythtv.  This is good, because my frontend (my
> desktop) runs Debian Unstable and that has a front end at 0,25.
>
> I've duly followed all the instruction and installed the re-compiled modules
> and rebooted my server (sadly - I did't really want to).
>
> However I am suffering from a situation where after about a day (not really
> sure how long) the tuner seems to silently fail.
>
> All that seems to happen is that
> 1) recordings that are scheduled just don't happen
> 2) Attempts to watch liveTv fails to find a lock.
>
> I can't find any evidence of reported failure.
>
> I really have two requests
>
> 1) Is there a short term solution whereby I could cause the device to
> re-initialise itself without doing a reboot.
> 2) Is there a longer term solution whereby I can stop it from failing
>
> Have I made a bad choice of Tuner.  Is there anything else out there that
> reliably does UK HD TV.


Why do people keep buying unsupported (ie in kernel - stable) tuners?

There is a recent thread on mythbuntu forums about this series of
drivers, may be worth a look there.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


robertasones at hotmail

Jun 8, 2012, 1:19 AM

Post #4 of 12 (1725 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

----------------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 19:38:10 +1200
> From: nick.rout [at] gmail
> To: mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture

Trimmed .............

> Why do people keep buying unsupported (ie in kernel - stable) tuners?

A lack of choice for UK HD Terrestrial TV.
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_PCIe_Cards could lead one to believe the TBS6280 is supported.

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


sijones2010 at gmail

Jun 8, 2012, 1:49 AM

Post #5 of 12 (1720 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

>
>
> A lack of choice for UK HD Terrestrial TV.
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_PCIe_Cards could lead one to
> believe the TBS6280 is supported.
>
>
pinnacle pctv nanostick t2 290e

fully supported by in kernel drivers, and with all HD channels on one MUX,
there is only really a need for one of these, other tuners can be DVB-T.


stinga at wolf-rock

Jun 8, 2012, 3:31 AM

Post #6 of 12 (1720 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

On 08/06/12 09:49:43, Simon Jones wrote:
> >
> >
> > A lack of choice for UK HD Terrestrial TV.
> > http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_PCIe_Cards could lead
> one to
> > believe the TBS6280 is supported.
> >
> >
> pinnacle pctv nanostick t2 290e
>
> fully supported by in kernel drivers, and with all HD channels on one
> MUX,
> there is only really a need for one of these, other tuners can be
> DVB-T.

Assuming you can get all the other channels on DVB-T, we can't.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
---------------------------------------------------
Email: stinga [at] wolf-rock o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should, > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\
---------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


stinga at wolf-rock

Jun 8, 2012, 3:35 AM

Post #7 of 12 (1722 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

On 08/06/12 08:38:10, Nick Rout wrote:
> Why do people keep buying unsupported (ie in kernel - stable) tuners?
>
> There is a recent thread on mythbuntu forums about this series of
> drivers, may be worth a look there.

I have a TBS6981 which I would not have bought has I realised it was a
closed source blob of code.

But then there is little choice for DVB-S2.

I have had the card for more than a year and can't get it to work with
my other other DVB-S cards, it is about to go in it's own machine.

PS: Ignore last post about DVB-T I thought the original card was a DVB-
S.
--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
---------------------------------------------------
Email: stinga [at] wolf-rock o
You need only two tools. o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it /@ `\ /) ~
doesn't move and it should, > (O) X< ~ Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and `\___/' \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape. \\\
---------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


alan at chandlerfamily

Jun 8, 2012, 3:41 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1716 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

On 08/06/12 09:49, Simon Jones wrote:
>
>
> A lack of choice for UK HD Terrestrial TV.
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_PCIe_Cards could lead
> one to believe the TBS6280 is supported.
>
>
> pinnacle pctv nanostick t2 290e
>
> fully supported by in kernel drivers, and with all HD channels on one
> MUX, there is only really a need for one of these, other tuners can be
> DVB-T.
>
>

I like that idea.

Is MythTV clever enough if I request two simultaneous recording, one on
HD and one non HD channel to pick the right device - even if the non HD
recording starts first?



--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk


sijones2010 at gmail

Jun 8, 2012, 3:20 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1713 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

>
> pinnacle pctv nanostick t2 290e
>
> fully supported by in kernel drivers, and with all HD channels on one MUX, there is only really a need for one of these, other tuners can be DVB-T.
>
>
>
> I like that idea.
>
> Is MythTV clever enough if I request two simultaneous recording, one on HD and one non HD channel to pick the right device - even if the non HD recording starts first?
>

You only setup the HD channels on the one tuner, then set the multi
record up, i set it to 5, that allows live tv and recordings across
the one tuner and then i have all the rest of freeview on 3 SD DVB-T
tuners.

It only has the HD on one tuner so can only record from that, BUT i
have BBC One HD as channel 101 etc so a seperate channel number to the
SD 1... as i like it like that, some people will say that's wrong but
each to your own....
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


nick.rout at gmail

Jun 8, 2012, 3:29 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1718 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Rob Sones <robertasones [at] hotmail> wrote:
>
> ----------------------------------------
>> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 19:38:10 +1200
>> From: nick.rout [at] gmail
>> To: mythtv-users [at] mythtv
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture
>
> Trimmed .............
>
>> Why do people keep buying unsupported (ie in kernel - stable) tuners?
>
> A lack of choice for UK HD Terrestrial TV.
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T2_PCIe_Cards could lead one to believe the TBS6280 is supported.


You mean where it says "TBS6280 - Drivers are provided for an old
version of v4l; will probably need work to get it working"
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


alan at chandlerfamily

Jun 8, 2012, 11:29 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1701 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

On 08/06/12 23:20, Simon Jones wrote:
>> pinnacle pctv nanostick t2 290e
>>
>> fully supported by in kernel drivers, and with all HD channels on one MUX, there is only really a need for one of these, other tuners can be DVB-T.
>>
>>
>>
>> I like that idea.
>>
>> Is MythTV clever enough if I request two simultaneous recording, one on HD and one non HD channel to pick the right device - even if the non HD recording starts first?
>>
> You only setup the HD channels on the one tuner, then set the multi
> record up, i set it to 5, that allows live tv and recordings across
> the one tuner and then i have all the rest of freeview on 3 SD DVB-T
> tuners.

I am struggling a bit to fully understand. When you say "set the
multi-record up" do you mean in setup/capturecards/recordingoptions
"Max Recordings"?

Is there a a way you can limit this card to just the HD channels?

> It only has the HD on one tuner so can only record from that, BUT i
> have BBC One HD as channel 101 etc so a seperate channel number to the
> SD 1... as i like it like that, some people will say that's wrong but
> each to your own....

Again, not sure what you mean here. I have been reading up about
scheduling, and it seems to say you edit the callsign for the HD channel
to match the call sign for the non HD version, but it doesn't say
anything about channel numbers. From the scanning it allocates BBC One
HD to channel 50. What is the benefit of changing that to Channel 101?

> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users [at] mythtv
> http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users


mikep at randomtraveller

Jun 9, 2012, 5:08 AM

Post #12 of 12 (1692 views)
Permalink
Re: Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture [In reply to]

On 09/06/12 07:29, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 08/06/12 23:20, Simon Jones wrote:
>> You only setup the HD channels on the one tuner, then set the multi
>> record up, i set it to 5, that allows live tv and recordings across
>> the one tuner and then i have all the rest of freeview on 3 SD DVB-T
>> tuners.
>
> I am struggling a bit to fully understand. When you say "set the multi-record
> up" do you mean in setup/capturecards/recordingoptions "Max Recordings"?
>
> Is there a a way you can limit this card to just the HD channels?

Mine is set up as a separate source. This just has the HD channels in it.

>
>> It only has the HD on one tuner so can only record from that, BUT i
>> have BBC One HD as channel 101 etc so a seperate channel number to the
>> SD 1... as i like it like that, some people will say that's wrong but
>> each to your own....

There's no point. BBC 1 HD is channel 50 (DVB-T), so there's no chance it can be
confused with BBC 1 SD (Channel 1).

>
> Again, not sure what you mean here. I have been reading up about scheduling,
> and it seems to say you edit the callsign for the HD channel to match the call
> sign for the non HD version, but it doesn't say anything about channel numbers.
> From the scanning it allocates BBC One HD to channel 50. What is the benefit
> of changing that to Channel 101?
>
If you want HD recordings, it is better to leave the callsigns different. The
scheduler is smart enough to find programmes on two different channels and
prefer one over the other according to the way you set your priorities.

The callsign matching, as I understand it, is primarily intended for the US
market where such things matter. That field is almost meaningless in the UK.
Since all DVB-T channels have unique channel numbers right across the UK, using
the number is sufficient of an identifier.

- This does not address the situation where you might wish access to two
different local BBC/ITV transmissions, say SouthEast and London. In that case
you might find some channels put up in the 800s. Still not a problem, since
you'll want the different programming each supplies.

--

Mike Perkins



_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users [at] mythtv
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

MythTV users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.