Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

0.25 LiveTV unstable

tom.oli at gmx

Jun 7, 2012, 11:32 AM

0.25 LiveTV unstable

Hello,

I love MythTV and I've got for a couple of years a 0.21 system running, SD only.

Now I try to setup a 0.25 system including HD channels. I fail to get a stable, enduring LiveTV.

System: BE/FE on separate machines, BE lives as kvm guest

BE-Host: Nehalem QuadCore, 24 GB RAM, Raid1 for guests, Raid5 for data, 2 Dual DVB-S2 card (Digital Devices Cine S2 V6).
BE: 1 core, 2 GB RAM, Raids passed as virtio, raid5 (for records) with XFS, DVB-card passed-through as PCI, MythBuntu 12.04
FE: http://www.asus.de/Barebone_PC/S_Series_7L/S1AT5NM10E/#overview, MythBuntu 12.04, VDPAU activated

I have 2 problems:
1. LiveTV runs some minutes up to an hour, then it stops with: "Video Frame Buffering Failed Too Many Times"
2. Switching from one HD-channel to another (LiveTV) leads to a mixed display of the old and the new channel (shows some milliseconds of old channel, then of the new, then of old ...).

Let's start with problem 1. A typical BE log starts then with:

mythbuntu mythbackend[]: I ProcessRequest ringbuffer.cpp:1086 (WaitForAvail) RingBuf(/home/media/video/mythtv/records/1101_20120531192004.mpg): Waited 0.2 seconds for data #012#011#011#011to become available... 0 < 393216

Over the time the waiting grows to a couple of seconds.

Later then:

mythbuntu mythbackend[]: W TVRecEvent ThreadedFileWriter.cpp:301 (Flush) TFW(/home/media/video/mythtv/records/1101_20120530233000.mpg:36)
: Taking a long time to flush.. buffer size 390476

And finally

May 31 01:14:25 mythbuntu mythbackend[]: W TVRecEvent dvbchannel.cpp:381 (CheckOptions) DVBChan(2:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Selected fec_inner parameter unsupported by this driver.
May 31 01:14:25 mythbuntu mythbackend[]: N CoreContext autoexpire.cpp:263 (CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 7.0 GB w/freq: 14 min
May 31 01:14:25 mythbuntu mythbackend[]: E TVRecEvent dvbchannel.cpp:1103 (GetUncorrectedBlockCount) DVBChan(2:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Getting Frontend uncorrected block count failed.#012#011#011#011eno: Operation not supported (95)
May 31 01:14:25 mythbuntu mythbackend[]: W TVRecEvent dvbsignalmonitor.cpp:91 (DVBSignalMonitor) DVBSM(/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Cannot count Uncorrected Blocks#012#011#011#011eno: Operation not supported (95)
May 31 01:14:25 mythbuntu mythbackend[]: I TVRecEvent tv_rec.cpp:1014 (HandleStateChange) TVRec(2): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None

CPU load of BE and FE is about 10% during LiveTV.
My first suspicion was the DVB-card driver. I've tested both, the 3.2 kernel drivers and the drivers from http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git.
Then I focused to the guest ressources. Before I passed the the disks as virtio I'd used the qemu emulation. Virtio made an hdparm -tT 10 times faster. But the problems remain.

Any idea, what else I can try?

Is a virtualized 0.25 a problem? Does it need more ressources? My 0.21 runs stable as virtualized XEN-guest with a 10th of ressources as the 0.25 system has.

Thomas

two.bits.11 at gmail

Jun 7, 2012, 1:10 PM

Re: 0.25 LiveTV unstable [In reply to]

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM, <tom.oli [at] gmx> wrote:

> [...]
> (HandleStateChange) TVRec(2): Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
>
> CPU load of BE and FE is about 10% during LiveTV.
> My first suspicion was the DVB-card driver. I've tested both, the 3.2
> kernel drivers and the drivers from http://git.linuxtv.org/media_build.git
> .
> Then I focused to the guest ressources. Before I passed the the disks as
> virtio I'd used the qemu emulation. Virtio made an hdparm -tT 10 times
> faster. But the problems remain.
>
> Any idea, what else I can try?
>
> Is a virtualized 0.25 a problem? Does it need more ressources? My 0.21
> runs stable as virtualized XEN-guest with a 10th of ressources as the 0.25
> system has.
>

> Thomas
> --
> NEU: FreePhone 3-fach-Flat mit kostenlosem Smartphone!

Unfortunately, this is a problem that has existed for several revs of
MythTV. I am not sure when it started, but I believe it was there is .22.
Don't quote me on that one. It has nothing to do with the backend or
frontend specs. There seems to be some deadlock during program boundaries,
where the new ringbuffer never gets handed off correctly to the frontend.
Hopefully, this gets escalated and addressed in .26 or .25-fixes. If I
had time, I would look into the code as this is a critical function for me
as well.

-Tom

tom.oli at gmx

Jun 7, 2012, 2:31 PM

Re: 0.25 LiveTV unstable [In reply to]

> Hopefully, this gets escalated and addressed in .26 or .25-fixes. If I
> had time, I would look into the code as this is a critical function for me
> as well.

That means for a non mythtv-programmer like me - simply to wait?

Thomas

miffedtv at yahoo

Jun 26, 2012, 5:59 PM

Re: 0.25 LiveTV unstable [In reply to]

Wow, I thought it was only me that was having the issues. Came from 0.21 or something, can't see anything better at 0.25, but my backend suffered a hdd crash. 0.21 was rock solid, never quit, never had issues with changing channels, never quit when the show changes, etc. It just worked.

0.24 and 0.25 has been hell, I've even got rid of my pvr150 and using hdhomeruns now and still no luck.Crashes all the time in LiveTV. Video frame buffering failed too many times, well, all the time!

The only thing good is mythbuntu does make updating a lot easier, so I'm on the latest fixes, so if someone actually figures out the buffering issues, at least it will be easy to update.

________________________________
>  Hopefully, this gets escalated and addressed in .26 or .25-fixes.  If I
> had time, I would look into the code as this is a critical function for me
> as well.

That means for a non mythtv-programmer like me - simply to wait?

Thomas

michael at thewatsonfamily

Jun 26, 2012, 6:32 PM

Re: 0.25 LiveTV unstable [In reply to]

On 27/06/2012 10:59 AM, Nick Gorden wrote:
> Wow, I thought it was only me that was having the issues. Came from
> 0.21 or something, can't see anything better at 0.25, but my backend
> suffered a hdd crash. 0.21 was rock solid, never quit, never had
> issues with changing channels, never quit when the show changes, etc.
> It just worked.
>
> 0.24 and 0.25 has been hell, I've even got rid of my pvr150 and using
> hdhomeruns now and still no luck.Crashes all the time in LiveTV. Video
> frame buffering failed too many times, well, all the time!
>
> The only thing good is mythbuntu does make updating a lot easier, so
> I'm on the latest fixes, so if someone actually figures out the
> buffering issues, at least it will be easy to update.

I dont use LiveTv a great deal, but recently have had no issue. Just the
other night I watched a couple of shows via LiveTV. Slight delay during
program transition, but no big deal. Currently running *mythbackend
version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25.1-43-g73bc45e]* on Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 12.04
*
*I have a LiveTV Storage Group, but all frontends/backends mount all the
storage group directories via NFS.
All storage group Directories are located on the MBE. SBE and FE all
netboot using iscsi.
I run a Gigabit network on all but 1 frontend, (have not used LiveTV on
this Frontend)
All systems are FE are P4 - 3.x Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS using VDPAU,
backends are P4 3.x Ghz Machines
TV Signal is PAL via DVB-T Tuners

I still continue to mount storage directories via NFS, as I have had
issues with lagging / stuttering when letting the system stream via
MythProtocol.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas.

Regards,
Michael Watson

adeffs.mythtv at gmail

Jun 26, 2012, 8:51 PM

Re: 0.25 LiveTV unstable [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Michael Watson
<michael [at] thewatsonfamily> wrote:
> On 27/06/2012 10:59 AM, Nick Gorden wrote:
>>
>> Wow, I thought it was only me that was having the issues. Came from 0.21
>> or something, can't see anything better at 0.25, but my backend suffered a
>> hdd crash. 0.21 was rock solid, never quit, never had issues with changing
>> channels, never quit when the show changes, etc. It just worked.
>>
>> 0.24 and 0.25 has been hell, I've even got rid of my pvr150 and using
>> hdhomeruns now and still no luck.Crashes all the time in LiveTV. Video frame
>> buffering failed too many times, well, all the time!
>>
>> The only thing good is mythbuntu does make updating a lot easier, so I'm
>> on the latest fixes, so if someone actually figures out the buffering
>> issues, at least it will be easy to update.

With my Ceton and two ClearQAM tuners livetv is rock solid for me on
my three frontends. my parents system with two HDPVR though has been
horrid, I'm hoping a kernel upgrade and running a newer firmware will
fix it.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jun 26, 2012, 10:12 PM

Re: 0.25 LiveTV unstable [In reply to]

On 06/26/2012 11:51 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
>> I dont use LiveTv a great deal, but recently have had no issue. Just the
>> other night I watched a couple of shows via LiveTV. Slight delay during
>> program transition, but no big deal. Currently running *mythbackend
>> version: fixes/0.25 [v0.25.1-43-g73bc45e]* on Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 12.04
>> *
>> *I have a LiveTV Storage Group, but all frontends/backends mount all the
>> storage group directories via NFS.
>> All storage group Directories are located on the MBE. SBE and FE all
>> netboot using iscsi.
>> I run a Gigabit network on all but 1 frontend, (have not used LiveTV on this
>> Frontend)
>> All systems are FE are P4 - 3.x Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS using VDPAU,
>> backends are P4 3.x Ghz Machines
>> TV Signal is PAL via DVB-T Tuners
>>
>> I still continue to mount storage directories via NFS, as I have had issues
>> with lagging / stuttering when letting the system stream via MythProtocol.
>>
>> Hope this gives you guys some ideas.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael Watson
> With my Ceton and two ClearQAM tuners livetv is rock solid for me on
> my three frontends. my parents system with two HDPVR though has been
> horrid, I'm hoping a kernel upgrade and running a newer firmware will
> fix it.

But the key is you /must/ be running current -fixes. Both 0.24 and 0.25
release versions had serious problems with Live TV that were since fixed
in -fixes.

Mike

jmorris at beau

Jun 28, 2012, 2:22 PM

Re: 0.25 LiveTV unstable [In reply to]

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 01:12 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> But the key is you /must/ be running current -fixes. Both 0.24 and 0.25
> release versions had serious problems with Live TV that were since fixed
> in -fixes.

What is the best way to know exactly which version is packaged up in
debian-multimedia? It updated versions this last weekend and I have
installed it. Still have the problem the original poster reported where
it bails out with "Video frame buffering failed too many times."
Haven't seen the front end hang any since the upgrade so there is
that... but it is less than a week so probably too early to celebrate.

It also pauses for around a second when the top/bottom of the hour hits
and the program title changes.

It also pauses in the middle of some shows on some channels. Some of
those are in the recording because some will persist if the show is
replayed or just rewound, others don't. I'm willing to write a big
chunk of these off onto Suddenlink. Suddenlink also gets the blame for
hosing the stream when they insert commercials. It jumps to two channel
sound from 5.1. My amp hates that.

Another annoyance is sometimes when there is a discontinuity in the
audio stream from a local commercial, the above mentioned glitches,
whatever, my amp goes insane. The multichannel light starts blinking at
about once per second and no sound. Only solution is to pause/play one
or more times until it clears. It only started doing it recently and
more often this week on the more recent version. It has never done it
on ClearQAM directly from the tv's tuner but not enough hours spent
watching the few with 5.1 audio to declare it certain. Just throwing it
out to see is a lot of other folks say "yea, I get that" and perhaps
someone knows why it does it.

"mythfrontend --version" says:

MythTV Version : v0.25.1
MythTV Branch :