Mailing List Archive: MythTV: Users

Issues since upgrading to 0.25

enigma at thedonnerparty

Jun 1, 2012, 10:48 AM

Issues since upgrading to 0.25

I recently upgraded my MythTV systems (2 backends, 5 frontends) to 0.25
from 0.24-fixes. Previously I was using a mix of various Debian and Ubuntu
versions, for the upgrade I installed Mythbuntu 12.04 on all frontends and
Ubuntu server on the backends. Since the upgrade I have been having
several problems, I am posting this in the hope someone will recognize some
of these symptoms and recommend fixes/workarounds.

1. HDPVR. I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box. I
am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA jacks.
Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable. Prior to the
upgrade, I had very few problems - the device has frozen maybe 2-3 times in
the past few years. Since the upgrade the HDPVR is freezing up daily.
When it does this it takes the whole USB bus down and so I lose channel
changing on my other 2 directv boxes (which use USB->Serial adapters to
change the channel). Has anyone else seen this behavior on Ubuntu 12.04?
This would seem to point to a driver issue since I didn't update the
firmware on the device as part of the upgrade, the only thing that changed
was the OS and MythTV version.

2. Commercial Flagging. Since the upgrade most of my recorded programs
don't get the commercials flagged. Occasionally the Myth status page will
show a failure but for most of the programs it doesn't look like it ever
started the commflag job. Was there something in 0.25 that changed under
which conditions the commflag job is run on a recording? I do have a
couple of channels that are marked as commfree but this appears to be
affecting programs recorded from all channels. If I manually start a
commflag job on these recordings it seems to complete fine but it does not
seem like it is getting automatically run for most of my recordings. Has
anyone else seen this problem?

3. Remote control. I purchased a USB receiver branded as "HP MCE remote",
lsusb reports it as "Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1934:5168 Feature Integration
Technology Inc. (Fintek) F71610A or F71612A Consumer Infrared
Receiver/Transceiver". I am seeing occasional kernel panics related to
this receiver, is there anyone else using this hardware? Is there
something I can do to address these crashes or do I pretty much have to
live with this behavior if I am using this receiver?

4. MythMusic. Everybody else hates it, why shouldn't I? j/k! The new
music interface does seem to have a problem remembering what playlist I had
selected before, each new time I go into music it tells me I haven't
selected any tracks to play. Is this the normal behavior or do I have
something configured wrong?

5. Audio. This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
appreciated. I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an HDTV
(Philips 46PFL5706/F7). Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to the
TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
stream to my receiver. The issue is that this configuration only allows me
to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1. Is this
because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers? Is there any way
to use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?

There are some other issues but that's all I can remember at the moment.
If anyone has any pointers/workarounds/insights/already filed bugs for
these issues your input would be greatly appreciated.

mtdean at thirdcontact

Jun 1, 2012, 1:03 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On 06/01/2012 01:48 PM, Enigma wrote:
> I recently upgraded my MythTV systems (2 backends, 5 frontends) to
> 0.25 from 0.24-fixes. Previously I was using a mix of various Debian
> and Ubuntu versions, for the upgrade I installed Mythbuntu 12.04 on
> all frontends and Ubuntu server on the backends. Since the upgrade I
> have been having several problems, I am posting this in the hope
> someone will recognize some of these symptoms and recommend
> fixes/workarounds.
>
> 2. Commercial Flagging. Since the upgrade most of my recorded
> programs don't get the commercials flagged. Occasionally the Myth
> status page will show a failure but for most of the programs it
> doesn't look like it ever started the commflag job. Was there
> something in 0.25 that changed under which conditions the commflag job
> is run on a recording? I do have a couple of channels that are marked
> as commfree but this appears to be affecting programs recorded from
> all channels. If I manually start a commflag job on these recordings
> it seems to complete fine but it does not seem like it is getting
> automatically run for most of my recordings. Has anyone else seen
> this problem?

There are rumors that jobs aren't being started for the 2nd recording
with back-to-back recordings.

> 4. MythMusic. Everybody else hates it, why shouldn't I? j/k! The
> new music interface does seem to have a problem remembering what
> playlist I had selected before, each new time I go into music it tells
> me I haven't selected any tracks to play. Is this the normal behavior
> or do I have something configured wrong?

Perhaps you're not exiting mythfrontend nicely, but instead letting it
get killed? Start up mythfrontend, queue up some playlist, then exit
mythmusic and exit mythfrontend--using the EXIT key, and selecting to
exit (don't use the shut down or reboot options you may have). Then go
back in and see if it remembers things better.

Mike

david at istwok

Jun 1, 2012, 1:48 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 04:03:33PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 01:48 PM, Enigma wrote:
> >2. Commercial Flagging. Since the upgrade most of my recorded
> >programs don't get the commercials flagged. Occasionally the Myth
> >status page will show a failure but for most of the programs it
> >doesn't look like it ever started the commflag job. Was there
> >something in 0.25 that changed under which conditions the commflag
> >job is run on a recording? I do have a couple of channels that
> >are marked as commfree but this appears to be affecting programs
> >recorded from all channels. If I manually start a commflag job on
> >these recordings it seems to complete fine but it does not seem
> >like it is getting automatically run for most of my recordings.
> >Has anyone else seen this problem?
>
> There are rumors that jobs aren't being started for the 2nd
> recording with back-to-back recordings.

It's not a rumor. See http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10685 .
There is also a fix, but it hasn't been committed yet.

David
--
David Engel
david [at] istwok

xtragb at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 5:50 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

> 1.  HDPVR.  I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box.  I
> am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
> Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA jacks.
> Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable.  Prior to the
> upgrade, I had very few problems - the device has frozen maybe 2-3 times in
> the past few years.  Since the upgrade the HDPVR is freezing up daily.  When
> it does this it takes the whole USB bus down and so I lose channel changing
> on my other 2 directv boxes (which use USB->Serial adapters to change the
> channel).  Has anyone else seen this behavior on Ubuntu 12.04?  This would
> seem to point to a driver issue since I didn't update the firmware on the
> device as part of the upgrade, the only thing that changed was the OS and
> MythTV version.

I have experienced this on my fully updated Arch Linux box. In my
case the lockups happen on a specific channel, apparently caused by
audio dropouts on the STB which is connected to the HD-PVR using the
optical input. Disconnecting the SPDIF cable while the HD-PVR is
recording will reproduce the same lockup every time. Interestingly,
the HD-PVR can recover from a brief audio dropout but a longer one
will take it out. I don't see any recent changes in the HD-PVR driver
that would have affected this issue one way or another. It could be a
Myth change though; I've been running .25 exclusively since I got my
HD-PVR so I'd have to take your word for it that it's worse with this
version than it was with the previous one.

dbrieck at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 6:50 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Enigma <enigma [at] thedonnerparty> wrote:

> I recently upgraded my MythTV systems (2 backends, 5 frontends) to 0.25
> from 0.24-fixes. Previously I was using a mix of various Debian and Ubuntu
> versions, for the upgrade I installed Mythbuntu 12.04 on all frontends and
> Ubuntu server on the backends. Since the upgrade I have been having
> several problems, I am posting this in the hope someone will recognize some
> of these symptoms and recommend fixes/workarounds.
>
> 1. HDPVR. I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box. I
> am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
> Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA jacks.
> Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable. Prior to the
> upgrade, I had very few problems - the device has frozen maybe 2-3 times in
> the past few years. Since the upgrade the HDPVR is freezing up daily.
> When it does this it takes the whole USB bus down and so I lose channel
> changing on my other 2 directv boxes (which use USB->Serial adapters to
> change the channel). Has anyone else seen this behavior on Ubuntu 12.04?
> This would seem to point to a driver issue since I didn't update the
> firmware on the device as part of the upgrade, the only thing that changed
> was the OS and MythTV version.

I've had this exact same problem. However, I can't say whether it's 12.04
or 0.25 that's doing it. The main hard drive in my backend crashed and when
I rebuilt it with 12.04 I was forced into 0.25.

In addition to locking up the USB bus, I was only able to get things back
to normal with a complete power off. A simply reboot didn't fix the
problem. It also seemed to cause problems with 2 PVR-250s that were in the
same box, but that could have just been a backend lockup because of the
HDPVR.

We're pretty serious about TV in my house and I got tired of having to fix
things daily. I ended up getting rid of my HDPVR and bought a HDHR3CC tuner
and haven't had any problems since.

It stinks you can't do the same thing.

nick.rout at gmail

Jun 1, 2012, 8:56 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Enigma <enigma [at] thedonnerparty> wrote:

> 5. Audio.  This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
> appreciated.  I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an HDTV
> (Philips 46PFL5706/F7).  Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to the
> TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
> stream to my receiver.  The issue is that this configuration only allows me
> to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1.  Is this
> because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers?  Is there any way to
> use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
> need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?

Some TVs only output stereo over their spdif out connector. So it's
hard to say where the problem lies.

Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If so you may be better with
mythbox->receiver->TV

acstadt at stadt

Jun 1, 2012, 9:32 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On 01/06/2012 11:56 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Enigma<enigma [at] thedonnerparty> wrote:
>> 5. Audio. This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
>> appreciated. I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an HDTV
>> (Philips 46PFL5706/F7). Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to the
>> TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
>> stream to my receiver. The issue is that this configuration only allows me
>> to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1. Is this
>> because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers? Is there any way to
>> use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
>> need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?
> Some TVs only output stereo over their spdif out connector. So it's
> hard to say where the problem lies.
>
> Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If so you may be better with
> mythbox->receiver->TV

Never saw the op's post, so:

The trouble is with his setup is that the eeeBox is only seeing the edid
info from the TV (which probably only says it supports 2 channel
stereo). Really he has two options, the easiest, as you suggested, (if
possible) is to go to the receiver then the TV. The other option is to
hack the edid extended data block and then load the hacked block with
nVidia's customEdid option.

I'm not entirely sure this would work with the latest nvidia drivers
(they seemed to have changed some of the edid handling/validation), but
you theoretically could plug the computer into the receiver, capture the
receiver's edid, plug into the TV, get a mode debug of the TV's edid.
Build a set of custom modelines for Xorg based on the TV's edid. In
xorg.conf, load the receiver's edid instead of the display's edid (via
the customEdid option), but then force X to use your custom modelines
for the display. The catch hear is that you can't ignore the edid after
modevalidation, noedidmodes, usedisplaydevice, connectedmonitor, dpi,
and exactmodetimingsdvi options to accomplish your overrides. FWIW, I
had done something similiar to this on one machine, but in the end went
and out and got a better receiver - still had to use the custom
modelines to get the most out of the display (and which also
incidentally fixed a few other minor issues with Xorg) but at least the
audio just worked.

Cheers,

Andrew.

newmank1 at asme

Jun 4, 2012, 8:12 AM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Andrew Stadt <acstadt [at] stadt> wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 11:56 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Enigma<enigma [at] thedonnerparty>  wrote:
>>>
>>> 5. Audio.  This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
>>> appreciated.  I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an
>>> HDTV
>>> (Philips 46PFL5706/F7).  Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to
>>> the
>>> TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
>>> stream to my receiver.  The issue is that this configuration only allows
>>> me
>>> to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1.  Is
>>> this
>>> because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers?  Is there any way
>>> use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
>>> need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?
>>
>> Some TVs only output stereo over their spdif out connector. So it's
>> hard to say where the problem lies.
>>
>> Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If so you may be better with
>> mythbox->receiver->TV
>>
> Never saw the op's post, so:
>
> The trouble is with his setup is that the eeeBox is only seeing the edid
> info from the TV (which probably only says it supports 2 channel stereo).
>  Really he has two options, the easiest, as you suggested, (if possible) is
> to go to the receiver then the TV.  The other option is to hack the edid
> extended data block and then load the hacked block with nVidia's customEdid
> option.
>
> I'm not entirely sure this would work with the latest nvidia drivers (they
> seemed to have changed some of the edid handling/validation), but you
> theoretically could plug the computer into the receiver, capture the
> receiver's edid, plug into the TV, get a mode debug of the TV's edid.  Build
> a set of custom modelines for Xorg based on the TV's edid.  In xorg.conf,
> load the receiver's edid instead of the display's edid (via the customEdid
> option), but then force X to use your custom modelines for the display. The
> catch hear is that you can't ignore the edid after loading a customEdid (at
> least in my experience) so you have to use the modevalidation, noedidmodes,
> usedisplaydevice, connectedmonitor, dpi, and exactmodetimingsdvi options to
> accomplish your overrides. FWIW, I had done something similiar to this on
> one machine, but in the end went and out and got a better receiver - still
> had to use the custom modelines to get the most out of the display (and
> which also incidentally fixed a few other minor issues with Xorg) but at
> least the audio just worked.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew.

The recently released kernel 3.4 has the ability to load a custom EDID
directly in the kernel, so if you can come up with a suitable extended
EDID you may be able to avoid all the overrides in Xorg. However, it
may apply only to in-kernel drivers; I'm not sure how it will interact
with the nVidia binary drivers. Might be worth looking at if you're
going to go to the trouble of creating an EDID anyway.

Karl

enigma at thedonnerparty

Jun 4, 2012, 2:37 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

Wow, lots of replies, I will try to reply inline to all points.

Michael Dean wrote:

> > 2. Commercial Flagging. Since the upgrade most of my recorded
> > programs don't get the commercials flagged.
>
> There are rumors that jobs aren't being started for the 2nd recording
> with back-to-back recordings.

OK, looking at the pointer to the bug that David Engel posted, it looks
like this is what is happening to me. I do a lot of recordings so it
stands to reason that I would be seeing some back-to-back recordings and be
hit by this bug. I will monitor the bug and upgrade once a fix is released.

> 4. MythMusic. Everybody else hates it, why shouldn't I? j/k! The
> > new music interface does seem to have a problem remembering what
> > playlist I had selected before, each new time I go into music it tells
> > me I haven't selected any tracks to play. Is this the normal behavior
> > or do I have something configured wrong?
>
> Perhaps you're not exiting mythfrontend nicely, but instead letting it
> get killed? Start up mythfrontend, queue up some playlist, then exit
> mythmusic and exit mythfrontend--using the EXIT key, and selecting to
> exit (don't use the shut down or reboot options you may have). Then go
> back in and see if it remembers things better.

If that is the case I'm sure that's what is happening. The only time the
frontend restarts either a) the frontend froze and I had to kill it or b)
the mceusb module crashed and I need to reboot the frontend. I don't think
I have ever exited the frontend from the interface. Is there any chance of
this behavior changing (like saving the playlist out when exiting MythMusic
rather than the whole frontend or writing it when getting a SIGINT) or is
this pretty much "the way it's going to be"?

xtragb at gmail wrote:

> > 1. HDPVR. I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box.
> > am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
> > Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA
> jacks.
> > Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable.
>
> I have experienced this on my fully updated Arch Linux box. In my
> case the lockups happen on a specific channel, apparently caused by
> audio dropouts on the STB which is connected to the HD-PVR using the
> optical input. Disconnecting the SPDIF cable while the HD-PVR is
> recording will reproduce the same lockup every time. Interestingly,
> the HD-PVR can recover from a brief audio dropout but a longer one
> will take it out. I don't see any recent changes in the HD-PVR driver
> that would have affected this issue one way or another. It could be a
> Myth change though; I've been running .25 exclusively since I got my
> HD-PVR so I'd have to take your word for it that it's worse with this
> version than it was with the previous one.

I don't think my freezes are related to the audio as I am using analog
inputs, from what I understand the issues with audio on the HDPVR was for
the SPDIF input. Under 0.24-fixes it was reliable but since the upgrade it
has been very flaky. I assume it is a driver regression but I posted the
issue on the MythTV list on the off chance that 0.25 is using the device in
a different manner than before which might account for the different
behavior.

acstadt at stadt wrote:

> > Some TVs only output stereo over their spdif out connector. So it's
> > hard to say where the problem lies.
> >
> > Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If so you may be better with
> > mythbox->receiver->TV
> >
> Never saw the op's post, so:
>
> The trouble is with his setup is that the eeeBox is only seeing the edid
> info from the TV (which probably only says it supports 2 channel
> stereo). Really he has two options, the easiest, as you suggested, (if
> possible) is to go to the receiver then the TV. The other option is to
> hack the edid extended data block and then load the hacked block with
> nVidia's customEdid option.
>
> I'm not entirely sure this would work with the latest nvidia drivers
> (they seemed to have changed some of the edid handling/validation), but
> you theoretically could plug the computer into the receiver, capture the
> receiver's edid, plug into the TV, get a mode debug of the TV's edid.
> Build a set of custom modelines for Xorg based on the TV's edid. In
> xorg.conf, load the receiver's edid instead of the display's edid (via
> the customEdid option), but then force X to use your custom modelines
> for the display. The catch hear is that you can't ignore the edid after
> modevalidation, noedidmodes, usedisplaydevice, connectedmonitor, dpi,
> and exactmodetimingsdvi options to accomplish your overrides. FWIW, I
> had done something similiar to this on one machine, but in the end went
> and out and got a better receiver - still had to use the custom
> modelines to get the most out of the display (and which also
> incidentally fixed a few other minor issues with Xorg) but at least the
> audio just worked.

Yep, I think that is what is going on here. I assumed that if I was using
the passthrough output on the TV it would report the capabilities of the
device on the passthrough rather than its own capabilities but obviously
that assumption is wrong and the TV is just reporting its 2 channel
capability. I don't have any HDMI inputs on my receiver but the frontend
does have what appears to be an optical output (1/8" jack labelled as
S-PDIF so I assume it is one of those dual-purpose analog/optical jacks) so
I should be able to just run the digital audio directly to the receiver.

On a side note, were there big changes to mythfilldatabase in 0.25? I used
to get through a run fairly quickly but since the upgrade it is taking a
loooong time to run. Last night's run started about 9 hours ago and it is
still running. has anybody else seen a degradation of performance with
mythfill?

Overall, I can't say that I have been pleased with the upgrade. I was
hoping some of the issues I was seeing on 0.24 would be resolved - while
some things are working better (like starting channel in live TV) some
issues from 0.24 remain (like all the frontends choking when a new
recording is started). 0.25 seems to have introduced some new bugs,
hopefully it will all work out in -fixes. Thanks for all the replies, I
will see what I can do to work around the issues until the fixes are
committed.

jyavenard at gmail

Jun 5, 2012, 1:13 AM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On 2 June 2012 03:48, Enigma <enigma [at] thedonnerparty> wrote:

> 5. Audio.  This is more of a configuration issue but any input would be
> appreciated.  I have a new frontend (Asus eeeBox EB1012p) hooked to an HDTV
> (Philips 46PFL5706/F7).  Currently, I am outputting audio over HDMI to the
> TV and using a digital audio passthrough output on the TV to provide the
> stream to my receiver.  The issue is that this configuration only allows me
> to select stereo output even though my receiver is capable of 5.1.  Is this
> because I am using HDMI and the TV only has 2 speakers?  Is there any way to
> use HDMI audio in this manner to get full 5.1 audio or does the frontend
> need to output directly to the receiver to get anything more than stereo?

I will only comment on the audio part.

First, I'd say ignore all the comments advising to override the EDID,
it's ill-advised and completely unnecessary.

Your TV is most likely passing the right information, that is it only
supports stereo PCM. In Settings -> Audio, make sure, AC3 and DTS are
checked which would enable 5.1 audio playback as far as mythtv is
concerned.

However, if your connectivity path is PC -> TV -> Amp ; you'll find
that your TV won't pass anything but stereo to your amplifier, despite
being a digital connection.
There are exceptions, but the vast majority of TVs behave that way.

The only proper way of getting around that limitation is connect it
that way : TV -> Amp -> PC

JY

mail at olenissen

Jun 5, 2012, 10:18 AM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

I had the same issue. Happens because my LCD tv generated a lot of IR when
cold. After 10min or so the IR reduced. When the TV radiated IR during boot
the receiver overflowed or something leaving the system with a kernel
panic. I have not been able to solve it, but found that if I wait turning
on the tv till mythtv is up and running then everything is good. Of cause I
cant use the remote before the TV is warmed up which is why I use bluetooth
instead :-)

Perhaps its the same your seeing.

2012/6/1 Enigma <enigma [at] thedonnerparty>

> 3. Remote control. I purchased a USB receiver branded as "HP MCE remote",
> lsusb reports it as "Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1934:5168 Feature Integration
> Technology Inc. (Fintek) F71610A or F71612A Consumer Infrared
> Receiver/Transceiver". I am seeing occasional kernel panics related to
> this receiver, is there anyone else using this hardware? Is there
> something I can do to address these crashes or do I pretty much have to
> live with this behavior if I am using this receiver?

jmorris at beau

Jun 5, 2012, 11:36 AM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 18:13 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> The only proper way of getting around that limitation is connect it
> that way : TV -> Amp -> PC

One thing to try is disabling the speakers on the tv and see if that
will allow it to pass everything without downconverting it to stereo for
the internal speakers. I get passthrough on my LG set for AC3 streams
but not for DTS from Myth.

On the other hand my Sony BlueRay player won't send anything but two
channel stereo to the same TV under any circumstances. Have to pass an
optical cable to the amp and play with audio delay on the player to sync
em up. Initial firmware had a bug where audio delay wouldn't persist
across a restart but they got that fixed. Took a support call and a
full reset of the unit to get it to persist though even after updating
the firmware. So Myth isn't the only one that has fought with hdmi
audio problems.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

andrew.codrington at fidenti

Jun 16, 2012, 1:26 PM

Re: Issues since upgrading to 0.25 [In reply to]

[.Replying to a digest, apologies if I've botched this. See below.]

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 21:50:00 -0400
> From: "David Brieck Jr." <dbrieck [at] gmail>
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users [at] mythtv>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Issues since upgrading to 0.25

> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Enigma <enigma [at] thedonnerparty> wrote:
>
> > I recently upgraded my MythTV systems (2 backends, 5 frontends) to 0.25
> > from 0.24-fixes. Previously I was using a mix of various Debian and
> Ubuntu
> > versions, for the upgrade I installed Mythbuntu 12.04 on all frontends
> and
> > Ubuntu server on the backends. Since the upgrade I have been having
> > several problems, I am posting this in the hope someone will recognize
> some
> > of these symptoms and recommend fixes/workarounds.
> >
> > 1. HDPVR. I am currently using a HDPVR hooked up to a DirecTV HD box.
> > am using http for channel changes, the HDPVR is not using the blaster.
> > Video is through component cables, audio is analog through the RCA jacks.
> > Since the upgrade the HDPVR has been extremely unstable. Prior to the
> > upgrade, I had very few problems - the device has frozen maybe 2-3 times
> in
> > the past few years. Since the upgrade the HDPVR is freezing up daily.
> > When it does this it takes the whole USB bus down and so I lose channel
> > changing on my other 2 directv boxes (which use USB->Serial adapters to
> > change the channel). Has anyone else seen this behavior on Ubuntu 12.04?
> > This would seem to point to a driver issue since I didn't update the
> > firmware on the device as part of the upgrade, the only thing that
> changed
> > was the OS and MythTV version.
> >

> I've had this exact same problem. However, I can't say whether it's 12.04
> or 0.25 that's doing it. The main hard drive in my backend crashed and when
> I rebuilt it with 12.04 I was forced into 0.25.
>
> In addition to locking up the USB bus, I was only able to get things back
> to normal with a complete power off. A simply reboot didn't fix the
> problem. It also seemed to cause problems with 2 PVR-250s that were in the
> same box, but that could have just been a backend lockup because of the
> HDPVR.
>
> We're pretty serious about TV in my house and I got tired of having to fix
> things daily. I ended up getting rid of my HDPVR and bought a HDHR3CC tuner
> and haven't had any problems since.
>
> It stinks you can't do the same thing.

I'm in a similar boat. For ages it was my hdpvr that would lockup and give
0 byte recordings. Now it records ok, but the IR channel changer (mceusb
blaster) is locking up. That's bad enough but my kid watches TLC all the
time directly through the SA4250HD - so I get great quality recordings of
crappy shows instead of what I scheduled...

The worst part is sometimes even a shutdown doesn't seem to reset the USB
bus. I can't repeatably get back to a working ir blaster.

Can anyone recommend a workaround for that? I'm hoping to avoid buying new
hardware as Enigma did...

--
Andrew Codrington
Andrew.Codrington [at] fidenti